Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Look I know some sites aren't blatant but like, I assumed people on here knew this sort of thing already? Take a good look at this October 2004 version of the RCP front page for instance. Note these people they chose to feature (including our buddy Bibi!)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
It's easier to attack innocent people out in the open even if it doesnt "make sense" in regards to their cause. Otherwise there would be a rash of military leaders or bankers or tech ceos getting shot up up instead.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

fishmech posted:

Look I know some sites aren't blatant but like, I assumed people on here knew this sort of thing already? Take a good look at this October 2004 version of the RCP front page for instance. Note these people they chose to feature (including our buddy Bibi!)

I like that the date in the upper right section is current.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

RCP was well known as conservative agitprop in the Bush/Blogosphere years , but since Obama they've largely been referenced as said polling aggregation of which they did an okay job. "RCP polling average" has been a common sight. So its not surprising that it slips the mind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How is FOX and AM radio spinning the "great and unmatched wisdom" of this foreign policy masterstroke?

I'm honestly taking a break. Exhausted from all this stupid bullshit and afraid to look.

TBH, I'm more exhausted by the die hards who think all this is "ballsy" and great as they go about their day.

The sheer attrition of the whole thing is the only thing clever about any of it and is completely by design. It's all just noise and it's giving me a headache. I'm honestly depressed about it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Was just arguing with an acquaintance about the El Paso shooter because I hate life and also myself. It's honestly fascinating just how much we live in nearly completely different realities sometimes.

My grandmother, lifelong registered Democrat who didn't see anything wrong with what Clinton did to warrant impeachment, watches OANN and thinks Climate Change is made up because people died during the heatwave in New York ~ a decade ago. Entirely different world .

I didn't argue with her because I was there to visit my grandpa, who's 85 and finally went on hospice because his half a dozen different cancers caught up to him at once, and I didn't want to start poo poo. That my grampa , entirely in control of his mental faculties after strictly controlling his diet and lifestyle for decades, is still dying while the creamed clown corn clod that fills his flat-affected frankenface with kentucky fried embolism still shits his pants in the oval office has me boiling with anger. Life is ridiculous.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1181379349469175808

good to see yugoslavia decided to get the gang back together

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

A loved one in pain.

It won't and shouldn't mean much, but for what its worth my sympathies to you. Having been there for relatives during post-hospice end of life care it is never easy. Make sure you're taking care of yourself.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've been re-reading Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail: 72" which I highly recommend. It's eerily prescient even only 70 pages in and he had some thoughts even back then on the bullshit notion of fair and balanced that allows people like Rick Santorum on CNN today to talk about what a shame it is what the democrats are doing to Trump.

quote:

If you consider the great journalists in history, you don’t see too many objective journalists on that list. H. L. Mencken was not objective. Mike Royko, who just died. I. F. Stone was not objective. Mark Twain was not objective. I don’t quite understand this worship of objectivity in journalism. Now, just flat-out lying is different from being subjective.

quote:

Sacrificing good men to journalism is like sending William Faulkner to work for TIME magazine.

quote:

So much for Objective Journalism. Don’t bother to look for it here — not under any byline of mine; or anyone else I can think of. With the possible exception of things like box scores, race results, and stock market tabulations, there is no such thing as Objective Journalism. The phrase itself is a pompous contradiction in terms.

Where are these writers now?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BiggerBoat posted:

How is FOX and AM radio spinning the "great and unmatched wisdom" of this foreign policy masterstroke?
From what I've seen:

- They seem to be largely ignoring the Syria stuff and when they do talk about they seem a little confused as to if they're for or against.
- "The whistle blowers aren't real whistle blowers, they're just a set up by Adam Schiff with fake information that definitely wasn't repeatedly confirmed."
- "Its just more of the same from the most corrupt witchhunt in the history of our country if not the world."
- "The economy is great."
- "Joe Biden. Hillary Clinton. James Comey. Peter Strzok. etc."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GSD posted:

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1181379349469175808

good to see yugoslavia decided to get the gang back together

Ah yes, the Free Speech of modern Russia. I guess you can scream racial slurs in public there and not get in trouble, I mean that's what people generally mean when they talk about Free Speech these days.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

Where are these writers now?

Self publishing on obscure blogs.

Real talk: the capacity for self reflection and deep abstract thought has deteriorated so badly in American society that there really is no longer enough of a market to sustain writers like Hunter S. Thompson.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Prester Jane posted:

Self publishing on obscure blogs.

Real talk: the capacity for self reflection and deep abstract thought has deteriorated so badly in American society that there really is no longer enough of a market to sustain writers like Hunter S. Thompson.

Yeah, the fire spitting isn't coming from articles and books. It's you know, blogs, twitter, streaming services etc

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

PJOmega posted:

It won't and shouldn't mean much, but for what its worth my sympathies to you. Having been there for relatives during post-hospice end of life care it is never easy. Make sure you're taking care of yourself.

Thanks. My family all lives across the state 300 miles away so I've been making weekend trips when I can. The previous trip I had helped them sort his diabetes therapy as he had presented to the hospital with pneumonia, got well, was sent to a rehab next door for some reason, THEY took x-rays and assumed he had a NEW case of pneumonia because for some reason their clinician wasn't aware he was just treated and such infections appear in x-rays for weeks, and they cleared everything to put him on a sliding scale. When he went home they wrote new diabetes meds for him without taking into account his pre-existing therapy. He went right back to the ER two days later with 600 BG. He and Grandma were understandably very confused about what med was what, which is a duplicate, are these 5 month old basaglar pens still good and are they the same as his Lantus, which of these can go down his PEG tube, etc. I'm glad I was able to help but I can't say it was a good experience, seeing them go through that.

Of course, he's the only adult member of my family who doesn't have Fox News Brain and correctly assessed Trump as an idiot conman.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/KatTimpf/status/1181736289831460865?s=20

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What I want to know is the venn diagram between people that watch The Ellen Show and people that follow politics at all.

Who was surprised a hundred millionaire super rich like Ellen would be friends with ex presidents? She has infinitely more in common with Bush than she does with joe sixpack.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Who could possibly still be mad at the guy who was doing all those mass murders in foreign countries 15 *entire years* ago

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

STAC Goat posted:

- "The whistle blowers aren't real whistle blowers, they're just a set up by Adam Schiff with fake information that definitely wasn't repeatedly confirmed."

Yeah Rush was talking yesterday about how you could tell the whistleblowers were fakes and liars because the same thing happened that happened with Kavanaugh.

quote:

Remember when the first accuser’s accusations don’t get enough traction? Remember all the first accusers? “Yeah, he’s a drunken sloth at frat parties. Oh, my God. The guy was horrible, he was rotten, he was an arrogant, conceded guy.” That didn’t get any traction. So they had in the drawer a letter from Christine Blasey Ford, another accuser.

In the Kavanaugh case, when Blasey Ford’s claim about being held down on the bed didn’t do the trick, the Democrats moved on to another witness who said that he spiked the punch to set up a rape train. Remember this? Every witness against Kavanaugh blew up and bombed out. First whistleblower here has blown up and bombed out. Guess what? We’ve got a second whistleblower, may even be a Republican. And this one has firsthand knowledge.

And then John Brennan put out a call to the entire deep state last week saying, “If you think you’ve ever seen the president commit a crime, you have a duty to come forward.” He sent out a casting call, essentially, for more whistleblowers. So the Democrats are gonna have as many accusers as they need because they’re all-in now.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ha, it couldn't possibly be because they've been privileged, toxic bastards that have hurt people their entire lives. There are so many witnesses because they're fake!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Prager almost figures out what capitalism is.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 9, 2019

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

fishmech posted:

The name Max Boot stuck out to me but I legitimately don't remember why. I remember him but nothing about him. Finding his twitter didn't help either. I know I remember him doing something funny at some point.

Vichan posted:

What the gently caress does cancel culture have to do with what happened to the hearthstone player?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Vichan posted:

Is there a word for asking a question and answering the question during the question?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Biscats n Gravy posted:

What the gently caress does cancel culture have to do with what happened to the hearthstone player?

Can't blame capitalism when your whole deal is bootlicking.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Biscats n Gravy posted:

The name Max Boot stuck out to me but I legitimately don't remember why. I remember him but nothing about him. Finding his twitter didn't help either. I know I remember him doing something funny at some point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/maxboot/status/1049405552676212737

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Who could possibly still be mad at the guy who was doing all those mass murders in foreign countries 15 *entire years* ago

And add onto this the fact that Ellen, a gay woman, is just hangin' with someone who was once at the epicenter of the political party that will crawl over a mile of broken glass to ensure her second-class citizenship status and the political party with a sizable number of adherents who would beat her to death in the streets if they knew they could get away with it. But I guess she's rich and insulated, so she wouldn't have to worry about little details like that.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Modern Conservatism in a nutshell: this thing I have not experienced firsthand is an attack by liberals

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/KurtSchlichter/status/1181578404140683264

Probably the most loathsome of the RWM ghouls, IMO.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Thanks. My family all lives across the state 300 miles away so I've been making weekend trips when I can. The previous trip I had helped them sort his diabetes therapy as he had presented to the hospital with pneumonia, got well, was sent to a rehab next door for some reason, THEY took x-rays and assumed he had a NEW case of pneumonia because for some reason their clinician wasn't aware he was just treated and such infections appear in x-rays for weeks, and they cleared everything to put him on a sliding scale. When he went home they wrote new diabetes meds for him without taking into account his pre-existing therapy. He went right back to the ER two days later with 600 BG. He and Grandma were understandably very confused about what med was what, which is a duplicate, are these 5 month old basaglar pens still good and are they the same as his Lantus, which of these can go down his PEG tube, etc. I'm glad I was able to help but I can't say it was a good experience, seeing them go through that.

Of course, he's the only adult member of my family who doesn't have Fox News Brain and correctly assessed Trump as an idiot conman.

That sounds awful. Make sure to take care of yourself during this. 600 mile round trips each way every weekend are taxing enough, dealing with a situation as difficult as that makes it all the more difficult. Good on you for being there for them, but also be there for yourself.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Actual hot take from Glenn Beck today:

The impeachment hearings are bad and causing the world to become a worse place. You see, all the other world leaders think Trump is distracted and worried about these impeachment hearings, when he obviously isn't. But because they think he is, they think they can get away with things that won't get noticed, because Trump isn't paying attention to them, he's paying attention to the impeachment hearings. When in reality Trump is completely paying attention to those things, but it still causes problems for those other countries to try those things in the first place. Like Turkey invading Syria, obviously they're only doing this because they think Trump won't care, and that's bad.

So you see, all these bad things happening are because the world has been fooled into thinking Trump is distracted by the impeachment hearings, and that makes America look weak (even though it totally isn't, because Trump is such a great President he would never cause America to get weaker!), and this makes the world more dangerous. So as you can see, the impeachment hearings are truly awful, because they're causing all this other awful stuff to happen. So clearly, for the good of the world and for its safety, the impeachment hearings must be stopped.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

Actual hot take from Glenn Beck today:

The impeachment hearings are bad and causing the world to become a worse place. You see, all the other world leaders think Trump is distracted and worried about these impeachment hearings, when he obviously isn't. But because they think he is, they think they can get away with things that won't get noticed, because Trump isn't paying attention to them, he's paying attention to the impeachment hearings. When in reality Trump is completely paying attention to those things, but it still causes problems for those other countries to try those things in the first place. Like Turkey invading Syria, obviously they're only doing this because they think Trump won't care, and that's bad.

So you see, all these bad things happening are because the world has been fooled into thinking Trump is distracted by the impeachment hearings, and that makes America look weak (even though it totally isn't, because Trump is such a great President he would never cause America to get weaker!), and this makes the world more dangerous. So as you can see, the impeachment hearings are truly awful, because they're causing all this other awful stuff to happen. So clearly, for the good of the world and for its safety, the impeachment hearings must be stopped.

Jesus Christ... he fuckin'... HE GAVE THEM THE GO AHEAD!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Biscats n Gravy posted:

Have you listened to Chapo? They cover the Maximum amount of Boot.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I've been avoiding Chapo, but I catch Virgil Texas on lots of other programs. Is Chapo worth the stop?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chilichimp posted:

I've been avoiding Chapo, but I catch Virgil Texas on lots of other programs. Is Chapo worth the stop?

I think they particularly shine when making fun of conservative op-eds and other written media. Some of their other stuff seems to be more hit and miss depending on the person listening.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chilichimp posted:

Chapo is for when you're just mad at politics and want an audiobook version of some quality shitposts.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

chapo folks are funny but they're a thousand levels of irony-nothing-matters deep so you'll wanna take a break every now and then

their most recent episode, for example, was hot take after hot take on why the new Joker movie is secretly brilliant social commentary but also reading themes into movies is dumb and bad and everyone was mad about the movie but also no one was epsecially not them and and I couldn't stop thinking that these people's brains have been obliterated

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Are we angry now that the US is pulling out of a middle eastern country?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Erdogan is going to genocide the Kurds.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eschenique posted:

yes, we are, because

Ague Proof posted:

Erdogan is going to genocide the Kurds.

and all we were doing until donald's stupid tweet was having a thousand or so dudes sit on their asses in NE Syria being American

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Eschenique posted:

If you’re not angry as poo poo about this, then wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Also the US isn't pulling troops out of Syria, they're just pulling them farther south so they still control the oil captured by the untermenschen now getting cleansed with American weapons.
e: Marg bar Amrika