Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/1181865222203682816

:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

What Boris Johnson is doing is virtue signalling.

That should be enough to get the right wing, sorry, classical liberals to dog pile him and avert no deal brexit.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

We have copies of Tatler at the hotel I work at. As far as I can tell it's basically a medium for aristocrats and ageing rockers to get their 18-25 yo children onto the front page of a magazine, alongside headlines which pretty much amount to "they're rich and talented, come marry them"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rustybear posted:

That's baked in already at this point; he's not losing anything by doubling down. Every wet lib dribbler he loses gains him one screaming Brexit Party war boy.

I'm mean i guess it comes down to gut instinct but it just feels like everyone has glommed on to 'Boris is finished if he can't force Brexit by Oct 31st' and there's scant actual reasoning as to why that's the case other than 'this is what everyone in the know knows'.

I mean they did do polls that suggested it too, though I'd say the key thing is making him do the extension.

Because that's harder to weasel out of. The whole point is that if he can be threatened with personal legal consequences for defying parliament (which may be true at this point) then he won't necessarily be willing to risk it. At which point he's a coward who won't risk his neck for brexit, and the brexiters go back to the brexit party.

If they make him extend I think that does weaken him among the brexiters while not gaining him any wet support, and pre-empting him full stop I'm not sure really defuses the "traitor parliament" angle.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

gently caress off tom watson you massive oval office

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1181642678708195329?s=20

Lmao just on the heels of

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1181141022430117888?s=20

Watson knows which side his bread is buttered on

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1181867645811003392?s=20

A fun map to mess about with. Excited to live in an area of most vulnerability.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also lol 'sports industries'.

Sport - Any activity that uses physical exertion or skills competitively under a set of rules that is not based on aesthetics. The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practising sport, without discrimination of any kind, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.

Sounds very compatible with private industry, given their history.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NewMars posted:

In the post-brexitpocalypse, england will feudalize not under the aristocracy: who are useless and faint at the sight of the poor, which will be everyone, but the football clubs.

Edit: And yes, I do mean england specifically. Ireland will reunify, Wales will sink beneath the waves and Scotland will pull the emergency disconnect, floating off into the north sea, never to be seen again.

Venomous posted:

replace Florida with England

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

forkboy84 posted:

Oh "nice". I recently moved to an area thats least effected, but surrounded by areas most effected.

I am to become the Immortan Joe of Scotland then i suppose

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

OwlFancier posted:

I mean they did do polls that suggested it too, though I'd say the key thing is making him do the extension.

Because that's harder to weasel out of. The whole point is that if he can be threatened with personal legal consequences for defying parliament (which may be true at this point) then he won't necessarily be willing to risk it. At which point he's a coward who won't risk his neck for brexit, and the brexiters go back to the brexit party.

If they make him extend I think that does weaken him among the brexiters while not gaining him any wet support, and pre-empting him full stop I'm not sure really defuses the "traitor parliament" angle.

It just feels everyone got so caught up in the excitement of sticking it to him in parliament that they forgot that the public doesn't really care about arcane procedural owns.

My heart hopes that the lab leadership have private polling that suggests a big swing to remain and they're trying to re-position to capture it but my head says the country is still split 49:51 with a healthy side of 'do something, anything I'm sick of this' and participating in all this chicanery just paints us into a corner.

Labour should be making the forceful independent case for itself, meeting Boris head on at a GE. Not deputising Ken Clarke or contributing to the liberal beatification of Dominic Grieve.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 9, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CyberPingu posted:

I am to become the Immortan Joe of Scotland then i suppose

Do not, my friends, become addicted to the fried Mars bar. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rustybear posted:

liberal beatification of Dominic Grieve.
Haloed in a blue rosette and surrounded by spaffing Nick Cleggs instead of angels.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Never in my life did I think that this would be the sort of thing I would post, and its not really to do with politics but this is some amazing drama and its related to our press being lovely as hell...

https://twitter.com/ColeenRoo/status/1181864136155828224

Man this makes the Sun look really loving stupid, and they have already pulled the stories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rustybear posted:

It just feels everyone got so caught up in the excitement of sticking it to him in parliament that they forgot that the public doesn't really care about arcane procedural owns.

My heart hopes that the lab leadership have private polling that suggests a big swing to remain and they're trying to re-position to capture it but my head says the country is still split 49:51 with a healthy side of 'do something, anything I'm sick of this' and participating in all this chicanery just paints us into a corner.

Labour should be making the forceful independent case for itself, meeting Boris head on at a GE. Not deputising Ken Clarke or contributing to the liberal beatification of Dominic Grieve.

They do want to do a GE, but because the country is still very split on brexit, they want to try to split the tory vote by forcing boris to extend, and we need an extension anyway before we can have a GE. This is also why they want corbyn as temporary leader if it comes to that, to show that he can, in fact, be in charge without immediately seizing power and instituting a coup.

Just charging into a GE at this point would be extremely dangerous.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

This is really interesting. I'm assuming it pools from SIMD2016 data which is why it looks so granular. My "Brexit vulnerability decile" is 4 apparently, which isn't too bad. Shame my neighbours across the backcourt are down in the 20% most vulnerable though- gonna have to erect some bigger fencing next to the bin sheds to keep them at bay

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

OwlFancier posted:

E2: also where is that photograph taken? It's like the abstract shopping zone, just piles of identical cans and jars of poo poo with no price stripping.

It looks a bit like Harvey Nicols to me...not that I would know of course!!! *backs away slowly*

(I worked there as a sales servant in my youth, I wasn't paid nearly enough to actually afford anything HN stocked)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Sovereign State of the Bin Sheds

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So not to defend the Tattler (since it is dross) but...

L'octaine is a brand of beauty products. Now it covers a lot of different type of products like "anti-aging creams" and other stuff.
But a lot of them are moisturizing creams.

Now they are on the more expensive side of things but not all moisturizers are the same. Some (particularly cheaper ones) can cause allergic reactions.
And if you suffer from dry skin or skin that dries out after a shower, facial moisturizer cream can be a God-send.

If its stuff that you do use a lot, stock piling it isn't a bad idea per say because it stays in use for months and months.

I do think the Tatler article is more on the side of "here are a bunch of luxury items that you wont die without and should panic buy."

But on the same scale, just because a product is a "beauty product" doesn't mean it is something with no utility and only bought by the upper classes who have too much money.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

FiftySeven posted:

Never in my life did I think that this would be the sort of thing I would post, and its not really to do with politics but this is some amazing drama and its related to our press being lovely as hell...

Man this makes the Sun look really loving stupid, and they have already pulled the stories.

https://twitter.com/Mister_Woodo/status/1181875166760046592?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I think it's pretty nebulous how well bojo would fare in an election or not anyway. But his position isn't likely to get much stronger over time.
Even his crash out then trigger an election plan has a huge chance of backfiring, presumably because its cummies plan and cummies wants us out and doesn't care about bojo or the tories.

The obvious risk through playing the clock is to the country not to labour's election chances imo

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

OwlFancier posted:

They do want to do a GE, but because the country is still very split on brexit, they want to try to split the tory vote by forcing boris to extend, and we need an extension anyway before we can have a GE.

Just charging into a GE at this point would be extremely dangerous.

Agreed that the moment has now passed; just have a nagging feeling that 'leavers won't vote for Boris if Brexit is delayed' is the 'Michigan voters won't go for Trump' of our current cycle.

Doesn't mean we should have just blithely followed any timetable Boris set but it does mean we should have been more careful about being welded into the establishment alliance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

L'octaine is a brand of beauty products. Now it covers a lot of different type of products like "anti-aging creams" and other stuff.

Now they are on the more expensive side of things but not all moisturizers are the same. Some (particularly cheaper ones) can cause allergic reactions.
And if you suffer from dry skin or skin that dries out after a shower, facial moisturizer cream can be a God-send.

If its stuff that you do use a lot, stock piling it isn't a bad idea per say because it stays in use for months and months.

I do think the Tatler article is more on the side of "here are a bunch of luxury items that you wont die without and should panic buy."

But on the same scale, just because a product is a "beauty product" doesn't mean it is something with no utility and only bought by the upper classes who have too much money.

Alternatively a big tub of E45 works fine for me.

Rustybear posted:

Agreed that the moment has now passed; just have a nagging feeling that 'leavers won't vote for Boris if Brexit is delayed' is the 'Michigan voters won't go for Trump' of our current cycle.

Doesn't mean we should have just blithely followed any timetable Boris set but it does mean we should have been more careful about being welded into the establishment alliance.

Some of them will, but I think less of them will if boris seeks the extension. Which is the entire reason they've arranged it this way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

otoh some of the cheapest generic brand aqueous creams are highly hypoallergenic because they're just refined paraffin and water with an emulsifier.

Some people are allergic to the emulsifier, even though they try to pick hypoallergenic ones, but if you have allergies that severe I'd go with a medical product rather than a French skincare brand. Half their markup seems to be that they use spring water from ~random French spring~, which seems more likely to cause metal/mineral allergies than Purified Water (BP).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rustybear posted:

It is equally possible that "leavers only care about brexit in a GE" is also an optimistic assumption from the tories. Or that leavers are impressed with the tories performance on brexit. Or that the base of rabid brexiteers is as large as bojo assumes it is.

Not saying you're wrong but I find this all genuinely hard to call, it could go any way imo. So I'm basically in delusional optimism mode rather than delusional pessimism mode cause gently caress it why not. Its easy to switch you just go read the first couple pages of the Cspam UK thread where everyone was almost suicidal with despair when the 2017 GE was called.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Crash The Suboteurs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

They do want to do a GE, but because the country is still very split on brexit, they want to try to split the tory vote by forcing boris to extend, and we need an extension anyway before we can have a GE. This is also why they want corbyn as temporary leader if it comes to that, to show that he can, in fact, be in charge without immediately seizing power and instituting a coup.

But - just suppose Corbyn did exactly that? (Asking for a friend - or rather several Graun-loving friends in my life)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

FiftySeven posted:

Who are these people?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ash Crimson posted:

Who are these people?

Apparently Rebekah Vardy is a pregnant (former) friend of Colleen.
Colleen is the much-cheated on unfortunate spouse of some footballer called Wayne.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Ash Crimson posted:

Who are these people?

Colleen is Wayne Rooney's wife, I'm assuming the Vardy woman is Jamie Vardy's wife.

They play football (the blokes).

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Ash Crimson posted:

Who are these people?

Footballer's wives.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Hentai Jihadist posted:

It is equally possible that "leavers only care about brexit in a GE" is also an optimistic assumption from the tories. Or that leavers are impressed with the tories performance on brexit. Or that the base of rabid brexiteers is as large as bojo assumes it is.
there was a thing posted about how Labour Leave voters by and large don't rate Brexit as a high priority - services etc. are more important to them, trying to find it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But - just suppose Corbyn did exactly that? (Asking for a friend - or rather several Graun-loving friends in my life)

parliament could immediately VONC the rogue corbyn and labour wouldn't get near power for a generation

I mean if these are Corbyn Bads they'll just assume he'd do it anyway because he's so stupid and bad etc, but there's no reasoning with those anyway

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Make no mistake, its trashy wag gossip stuff but It is also related to more bad practice by our press, either by way of more hacking or one of them literally selling secrets to the Sun.

I honestly don't know how they are allowed to get away with this poo poo, they are blatantly crossing lines and invading peoples privacy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ash Crimson posted:

Who are these people?
In addition to above, women that the English Sun has an unhealthy obsession with.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://twitter.com/ahmedIfc/status/1181877858064580608

vardy was HACKED

centre square on yr bingo card

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CGI Stardust posted:

there was a thing posted about how Labour Leave voters by and large don't rate Brexit as a high priority - services etc. are more important to them, trying to find it

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cost-of-living-more-vital-than-brexit-s5j7hf6zx

Paywall but you can read a couple of articles for free every week or month.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Not saying you're wrong but I find this all genuinely hard to call, it could go any way imo. So I'm basically in delusional optimism mode rather than delusional pessimism mode cause gently caress it why not. Its easy to switch you just go read the first couple pages of the Cspam UK thread where everyone was almost suicidal with despair when the 2017 GE was called.

Yeh fair enough I'll stop. Just find my head spinning that Corbyn is somehow the establishment man now; sickening how things get twisted.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

In addition to above, women that the English Sun has an unhealthy obsession with.

Also important to note is that Coleen Rooney has been portrayed by the media as being thick for well over a decade. To see her get this victory with clever planning and making the tabloids look like idiots is really satisfying

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

Alternatively a big tub of E45 works fine for me.

Congrats. Not all of us are that lucky. I have super sensitive skin and E45 just makes me really itchy then leaves my skin dried out half an hour later. Don't knock people who need a niche product just cause a lot of rich fucks also use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cost-of-living-more-vital-than-brexit-s5j7hf6zx

Paywall but you can read a couple of articles for free every week or month.

Here's the article for interest:

quote:

Labour Leavers care more about cost of living than Brexit

Kate Devlin, Chief Political Correspondent
October 8 2019, 9:00am,
The Times

Many Labour Leave voters who will be targeted by the Brexit Party and the Conservatives at the next election do not view Brexit as a priority, a poll suggests.

The survey of 10,000 people on low incomes found that the cost of living, health, crime and housing were higher than Brexit on their list of priorities.

Both parties are trying to win over voters in “left behind” parts of the north and the Midlands, who they believe are disappointed by Labour’s stance on Brexit.

Nigel Farage said his party had the edge and called for Boris Johnson to give the Brexit Party a free run in some seats as part of a non-aggression pact.

However, research by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation suggests that the Brexit Party will have to widen its appeal to win over those earning less than £20,000 who are traditionally likely to back Labour.

The report, Every Voter Counts, says that “despite the unique role Brexit will play if there is a general election soon, it would be a mistake to run campaigns purely about Brexit to attract voters among this group. Brexit is not the uppermost issue in their minds.”

The report found that there were about 9.5 million voters on low incomes, of whom 2.7 million were swing voters. The foundation said that they could prove critical in several seats. There are about 40 constituencies in which the number of swing voters on low incomes is greater than the winning party’s majority in 2017.

Mr Farage has accused Labour of “abandoning” its pro-Brexit supporters. When his party topped the polls at the European elections in May, its only policy was Brexit. Since then the party, whose MEPs range from former Ukip members to Marxists, has only a few other election pledges.

The foundation’s research also contains a warning for Mr Johnson, who has rejected a pact with Mr Farage as the Conservatives also target Labour seats. The report warns that many voters have lost trust in politicians, whose spending pledges will not be believed. It said that the votes of 42 per cent of those on lower incomes — the “persuadable middle” — are up for grabs.

Claire Ainsley, executive director of the foundation, said: “Voters on low incomes could hold the keys to No 10 at the next general election. But speaking to concerns about Brexit, while important, will not be enough for the parties to secure a majority.

“People struggling to make ends meet want action to revitalise the places they live in, opportunities for their families to thrive and for their living standards to improve. Not only is this the right thing to do, any party wanting to find a route to a majority needs to act on these concerns.”

Last night a Brexit Party spokesman said the party was confident that it had a broad range of policies that would appeal to swing voters. He pointed to pledges including to invest £200 billion in infrastructure in the regions, and on inheritance tax, which he said had wide appeal. The party has also suggested introducing free wifi on every bus and train outside London and scrapping business rates for any new high street business outside the capital.

Support for the Brexit Party in the polls has fallen since Mr Johnson took over as Tory leader in July. A YouGov poll for The Times has the Conservatives on 34 per cent, the Liberal Democrats on 23 per cent, Labour 21 per cent, the Brexit Party 12 per cent and the Green Party on 5 per cent.

Despite the findings of the survey, three low-income workers and their union have launched legal action against the government, seeking to force Mr Johnson to request an extension to the Brexit deadline.

The Independent Workers Union of Great Britain (IWGB) has warned that the government’s pledge to uphold employment rights for EU citizens living in the UK could be watered down in the event of a no-deal departure. The union relies on many aspects of EU law in a number of worker’s rights cases in the UK.

Maritza Castillo Calle, a Spanish citizen working in the UK who is a claimant in the case, told the BBC: “Many low-paid and precarious workers like me use laws from the EU in order to defend ourselves, and also when a company transfers to another company, to defend our rest, our hours and our rights overall.”

Jason Moyer-Lee, union’s general secretary, added: “Low-paid workers, like couriers and cleaners, need all the protections and employment rights they can get. Many of these come from EU law and are at serious risk in a no-deal Brexit. The IWGB will do everything possible to protect these rights, including legal action to force the prime minister to obey the law and request an extension to the Brexit deadline.”