Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

This is exactly how I play FPS games, standing on the spot and shooting random place on the wall.

You've got to admit, its never been done before!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Apparently none of you have played an FPS since Counter Strike 1.6.

Wallbangs are a thing for a reason, folks.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

LuiCypher posted:

Ah, the Duke Nukem Forever model of development. X competing game has Y feature, so we need to tack on Y feature in order to be better and oh poo poo it broke all the code so it looks like we have to do it all over again but by God, we'll have it in our game - that way, no one can say that there's something Star Citizen can't do!

"More importantly, a cave has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a gamer (gamer: non-star citizen) discovers that a game has caves, he will automatically assume the game is also in possession of game-play loops, balance, coherent systems, tin of biscuits, actual flight model, compass, map, giant space worms, space news vans, economy, space suits etc., etc. Furthermore, the gamer will then happily believe that any of these or a dozen other items actually exist that the developer might accidentally have "refactored". What the gamer will think is that any developer who can show off caves the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his cave is is clearly a developer to be reckoned with.”

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

jarlywarly posted:

"More importantly, a cave has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a gamer (gamer: non-star citizen) discovers that a game has caves, he will automatically assume the game is also in possession of game-play loops, balance, coherent systems, tin of biscuits, actual flight model, compass, map, giant space worms, space news vans, economy, space suits etc., etc. Furthermore, the gamer will then happily believe that any of these or a dozen other items actually exist that the developer might accidentally have "refactored". What the gamer will think is that any developer who can show off caves the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his cave is is clearly a developer to be reckoned with.”

:golfclap:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
So they're putting in a bunch of FPS stuff because that's what the engine they're using was actually built to do, right? Even though the FPS gameplay doesn't look particularly... dynamic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"Dynamic" is so 2014

Fidelity is where its at these days!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm honestly surprised they have not tired to make everyone have Ironman-like suits.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BexGu posted:

I'm honestly surprised they have not tired to make everyone have Ironman-like suits.

Give it time.

Chris just need to get around to watching the Avengers.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

Tony thinks that the Calder investment wasn’t a onetime, upfront buy and was instead conditional and is coming in tranches tied to milestones. Milestones which may not be being met. (Especially true on the Squadron side, which seemed the primary draw to the Calders.)

The latest CIG financial blog suggests that the UK affiliate has received half of the Calder´s investment in one go (other half presumably stays back in the US). That would probably mean Tony is wrong.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/latest-announcements/annual-companies-house-report

quote:

Despite the £0.82m loss for the year the group still retained profit reserves of £2.9m as of 31 December 2018, and during the year the Company raised a further £17m from a minority equity investment, the UK part of the $46M worldwide investment into the Cloud Imperium Group made in 2018.

The proof (maybe not definitive) will probably be in the actual House filing.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 9, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Just a reminder that the musk/tesla thread over in cspam has great comedy as well. The last 5 or so pages of the thread have excerpts of a lawyer clowning on him during his disposition. Gives some insight into how badly Roberts would do. Everything is a parallel, only difference is one sells jpegs and the other actual cars.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Pfft. The Hubble doesn't even have one seat.

Checkmate.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just a reminder that the musk/tesla thread over in cspam has great comedy as well. The last 5 or so pages of the thread have excerpts of a lawyer clowning on him during his disposition. Gives some insight into how badly Roberts would do. Everything is a parallel, only difference is one sells jpegs and the other actual cars.

It's worth it just to read about Musk commenting about the size of his own anus.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What is even the point of comparing a space ship to a satellite/telescope?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dementropy posted:

Pfft. The Hubble doesn't even have one seat.

Checkmate.

Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but what the gently caress I'm looking at here?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It bigger than.

bigger better!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

The fictional ship that I own is bigger than the actual stuff we have in space.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Because an object the size of VY Canis Majoris will never be in Star Citizen.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Comparing jpegs is the game.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

The future of video games.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

trucutru posted:

That's over an ocean? With a reflection from 1995 video games?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Check out this idiot that doesn’t understand art.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

If you had just learned how to do that RAD AS gently caress effect wouldn't you use it everywhere?

Yes you would! Gotta accept that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Check out this idiot that doesn’t understand art.

MODS?!??!?!!??!? I'm being personally attacked and feel grief for not understanding 'vision'. :negative:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colostomy Bag posted:

MODS?!??!?!!??!? I'm being personally attacked and feel grief for not understanding 'vision'. :negative:

No worries, you'll get banned soon, that will solve the problem the "Star Citizen way".

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
It was one year ago that I had to say goodbye to this King. He never got his refund.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

jarlywarly posted:

I was wondering where the '42' in 'Squadron 42' came from...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DapperDon posted:

It was one year ago that I had to say goodbye to this King. He never got his refund.

:rip: King was great

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

the magic words here are targeted harassment and brigading. good luck in space court!
also sift through the post history of your enemy to dig out some dirty secrets.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

trucutru posted:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

DapperDon posted:

A truely great ruler, obviously.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Bumble He posted:

the magic words here are targeted harassment and brigading. good luck in space court!
also sift through the post history of your enemy to dig out some dirty secrets.

Also, doxxing is - like Star Citizen - good

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

When is the next big star citizen thing. Is it their annual con ?

I'm starved for really good shadenfruede from them

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Gameplay is emerging well.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

James Webb Space Telescope: 10 years late and $9 billion over budget compared to the original schedule

A good analogy

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Blue On Blue posted:

When is the next big star citizen thing. Is it their annual con ?

I'm starved for really good shadenfruede from them

Their con does indeed continue from year to year.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

:siren: https://massivelyop.com/2019/10/09/shroud-of-the-avatar-changes-hands-as-portalarium-transfers-assets-to-catnip-games/ :siren:
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/catnip-games-acquires-shroud-of-the-avatar.159409/

quote:

Catnip Games was established by Chris Spears, who served as CTO of Portalarium for over 6 years and was appointed President of Portalarium in 2019.

Commenting about the acquisition, Richard Garriott noted “We’re immensely grateful to the community who has built this game with us. The community’s support and participation remains strong and growing, and Starr and I plan to continue being involved in the community and within the game.”

Starr Long, the executive producer of Shroud of the Avatar, also commented on the acquisition; noting that “Chris has successfully led the design and the team for many years, he is an all-star A player.”
Shroud of avatar's story is over and its kind of hilarious ending. Because it leaves backer investors on dry.

quote:

So are the SeedInvest backers with Portalarium or with Catnip Games?

quote:

With this change, can we expect that Catnip Games will honor the existing, open deliverables paid for by Kickstarters backers, such as the signed book and pre-sold access to episodes 2-5?

quote:

Chris, now that the salaries of Richard and Starr are gone, let's hire a programmer and do Episode 2!
(I know, you're not the story freak, Chris, but someone like Puuk in support of Sannio would raise all our hope for an awesome Episode 2 story ...)

@Richard: We are still excited about the sequel to "Sword of Midras!" - We really would appreciate if you could announce when it gets finished

If this is successful approach surely star citizen will follow it as well once funding dries up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dark Off posted:

:siren: https://massivelyop.com/2019/10/09/shroud-of-the-avatar-changes-hands-as-portalarium-transfers-assets-to-catnip-games/ :siren:
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/catnip-games-acquires-shroud-of-the-avatar.159409/

Shroud of avatar's story is over and its kind of hilarious ending. Because it leaves backer investors on dry.

If this is successful approach surely star citizen will follow it as well once funding dries up.

:lol:

I can’t wait for Star Citizen to be bought out someday by Hobo Lando Space Enterprises.