Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I've spent the past few months flip flopping from game to game trying to find one that I can actually play for more than a few hours at a time. Finally got back into GTNH last night and promptly played it for 6 hours straight. Should've been playing it all along, really. There are some crazy new QOL changes like small ores heralding what ore vein is in a chunk and the whole ingame info xml thing, making it even more fun than it was. Almost got to the steam age and then it will really start getting intense.

Now I just wish that Better Diving had a 1.7.10 version.

edit: VVVVVVVVVVV same. Curse is just fine for a modpack launcher and it has real nice integration for adding resource packs and mods. It'll be a shame to see FTB leave them.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

AceClown posted:

I honestly have zero of those problems, I leave my twitch client open all the time and everything always run smooth and my "mods" tab opens instantly.

It's possible I'm just lucky I guess but other than the opening to live streams I don't get the hate for the twitch app at all.

I've definitely had these problems periodically, but all the upsides of the Curse launcher (integration with mod pages, updating per-mod instead of as a bulk pack, ease of adding/removing) outweigh the once or twice a month I have to reload the tab or do anything funky. It's just such a huge time savings over other launchers.

I'm assuming at this point that I'm just lucky and other people are having awful consistent issues with it, but it certainly hasn't been a major problem for me, especially not to the point of wanting to move to FTB or AT Launchers, both of which are notably worse.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh hey Rustic Waters updated, you can make brownies now with the chef rat, let me just look up what item to give the rat- oh. :itwaspoo:
No thanks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Oh hey Rustic Waters updated, you can make brownies now with the chef rat, let me just look up what item to give the rat- oh. :itwaspoo:
No thanks.
These twice-daily updates are getting kind of annoying. I've never seen a pack update so much.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I played it at first but I've kinda held off of it because I kind of expected it.
Look at any mod pack and they tend to get a few updates at the start and then a few later.
I think i'll install a newer version tonight or tomorrow though.
Looks like if you keep your nutrition up you get night vision while healthy
Which is nice.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
My advice is to use your free booly's brews while they're still useful. After you upgrade your wetsuit (which gives 180 sec total air) and have nutrition for night vision they're not worth the trouble of crafting. Gotta kill four rocket squid per bottle, and shear like five entire trees.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im in the itch for minecraft again.

Is there anything newish, but fun. or oldish but fun?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Man some of the quests need to be more explicit about what you're going to need and where to find it. Spent a good deal of time last night crafting up the metal press only to find out it needs to be powered (which normally wouldn't be weird but there are a couple other normally powered blocks that work without power like the auto-user and pump) tried a bunch of stuff until I noticed at the beginning of the quest it says "Once you have some steel and power..."

Then spent a while searching around quests for ones that look like they lead to power solutions since the TE gens are mostly locked out. As near as I can tell I need to build like... a waterwheel connected to a kinetic generator? But waterwheels can only be built with nether tree wood so I guess that's going to be a hot minute.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Im in the itch for minecraft again.

Is there anything newish, but fun. or oldish but fun?

Forever Stranded is still pretty fun, I played through that again recently (and this time managed to play it the 'right' way dealing with Tough As Nails' temperature stuff properly. Turns out you need to build enclosed spaces for cold/heat coils to work, rather than the lovely open-plan strewn-everywhere thing I usually do.) I did replace Ex Nihilo Omnia with Ex Nihilo Adscensio though, which took a bit of work but it was worth it.

Not sure yet if I want to play Lost Souls again, I got to the overworld in that and then lost direction.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Did Forever Stranded fix all the typos in the questbook?

Spanish Matlock posted:

Man some of the quests need to be more explicit about what you're going to need and where to find it. Spent a good deal of time last night crafting up the metal press only to find out it needs to be powered (which normally wouldn't be weird but there are a couple other normally powered blocks that work without power like the auto-user and pump) tried a bunch of stuff until I noticed at the beginning of the quest it says "Once you have some steel and power..."

Then spent a while searching around quests for ones that look like they lead to power solutions since the TE gens are mostly locked out. As near as I can tell I need to build like... a waterwheel connected to a kinetic generator? But waterwheels can only be built with nether tree wood so I guess that's going to be a hot minute.

Yeah the questlines in Rustic Waters are almost completely out of order. Advanced power is before basic power, for instance.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 9, 2019

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This isn't related to any specific recent pack or mod but one thing I've always hated about mods is when they add a recipe for something that traditionally comes in a particular color, and then the game forces you to get it in that color, because obviously if you were making one from raw materials you too would color it the same way. Even if this involves rare or expensive dye (which is usually even more expensive in a tweaked modpack).

Examples come to mind of things like having to use orange plastic and only orange plastic when making a power drill handle, for instance. God forbid you don't craft it in hi-vis orange.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

This isn't related to any specific recent pack or mod but one thing I've always hated about mods is when they add a recipe for something that traditionally comes in a particular color, and then the game forces you to get it in that color, because obviously if you were making one from raw materials you too would color it the same way. Even if this involves rare or expensive dye (which is usually even more expensive in a tweaked modpack).

Examples come to mind of things like having to use orange plastic and only orange plastic when making a power drill handle, for instance. God forbid you don't craft it in hi-vis orange.

I dislike Cooking for Blockheads for forcing me to make 8 black-stained glass and 8 black hardened clay and then only using 3 of each.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Forever Stranded is still pretty fun, I played through that again recently (and this time managed to play it the 'right' way dealing with Tough As Nails' temperature stuff properly. Turns out you need to build enclosed spaces for cold/heat coils to work, rather than the lovely open-plan strewn-everywhere thing I usually do.) I did replace Ex Nihilo Omnia with Ex Nihilo Adscensio though, which took a bit of work but it was worth it.

Not sure yet if I want to play Lost Souls again, I got to the overworld in that and then lost direction.

i played that for a bit. not sure why i gave up. But i do remember hating the temp stuff. Standing in water, getting hotter. Standing int he sun, getting colder?

hmm, quest book gave 0 help.

I think i know what i want.

regrowth 2 T.T wasnt someone here actually making that?

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 9, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

McFrugal posted:

Did Forever Stranded fix all the typos in the questbook?

Yeah the questlines in Rustic Waters are almost completely out of order. Advanced power is before basic power, for instance.

Yeah it seems like it would be better if the quests were organized so you could find what you need. I guess I'll just keep poking at quest lines to see what's doable.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

i played that for a bit. not sure why i gave up. But i do remember hating the temp stuff. Standing in water, getting hotter. Standing int he sun, getting colder?

hmm, quest book gave 0 help.

I think i know what i want.

regrowth 2 T.T wasnt someone here actually making that?

The temp stuff is really obtuse but if you build walls and a ceiling around your poo poo you can manage it, as I found.

And, that was me. Though I was heavily sidelined by ADHD, so it's still in early stages. Also it's just a lot of work! But anyway it was more 'in the style of Regrowth' than just Regrowth-for-1.12. I am trying to tell a story with my pack, vary up the progression for unlocking materials, add in exploration of a custom world. Also apparently I can use Gamestages to make it so no mobs spawn until some point in the story so I sure as gently caress am going to do that! Well, eventually anyway.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
what mod pack should I play

leaning toward a kitchen sink 1.12.2 pack or GTNH or maybe E2E because I haven't played expert yet, I guess post your favorite kitchen sink or really in-depth and cool quest packs. I've never actually played blightfall/project ozone/any of that stuff despite playing modded mc a ton and playing through lots of expert, gregtech, and skyblock packs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
GTNH/Blightfall for something completely different than normal. I've also heard really good things about Sevtech.

PO2 is going to be the sifter's version of a skyblock with the option of playing on a completely flat surface instead. I enjoyed it the most. PO3 is just an updated version of the same. I enjoyed it less even with the additional variety. SkyFactory 4 is the next gen where you grind with TREES. The questbook loving sucks and the Parabox is a dumb concept but I still put hours into it so I could criticize it properly.

Exoria is skyblock except set in a hostile world. I like it because it tries to do something different with the concept.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Man, Rustic Waters does some dumb poo poo, huh. Like making you need so much clay, but also, you can't craft the clay blocks you get automatically into clay balls - you've gotta either break them, or put them into the farmer's table, both of which cause tool durability losses. Or refusing to let you use item transfer pipes, but still giving you hoppers and uppers. Or making you kill things in the ocean, but not providing any kinda magnet, so you use half your air slowly swimming down after the items that fell instantly. Or not letting you grow crops in your drat base. Or the stupid loving "hey everything costs more resources, but you also get more resources" thing.

If I'm gunna stick with this pack, I'm gunna tear my whole base apart and move it to the top of the ocean. There's a bunch the pack does well, that I think is engaging, and I applaud a bunch of the requirements to make you go through mods people probably aren't used to, but... I dunno.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Whalley posted:

Man, Rustic Waters does some dumb poo poo, huh. Like making you need so much clay, but also, you can't craft the clay blocks you get automatically into clay balls - you've gotta either break them, or put them into the farmer's table, both of which cause tool durability losses. Or refusing to let you use item transfer pipes, but still giving you hoppers and uppers. Or making you kill things in the ocean, but not providing any kinda magnet, so you use half your air slowly swimming down after the items that fell instantly. Or not letting you grow crops in your drat base. Or the stupid loving "hey everything costs more resources, but you also get more resources" thing.

If I'm gunna stick with this pack, I'm gunna tear my whole base apart and move it to the top of the ocean. There's a bunch the pack does well, that I think is engaging, and I applaud a bunch of the requirements to make you go through mods people probably aren't used to, but... I dunno.

I like that it made me figure out how to automate rats and if I had pipes I wouldn't do that.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Rustic Waters has several magnets but one you can make for 5 iron. Just don't try to use a bow with it on.
For clay I usually just punch it because I'm cheap but I made my friend a cheap excavator to break his into balls.

I don't really care for the artisan tables, the tool durability and liquid requirements and that I can't pull from adjacent containers like the crafting station can.

Rats is an interesting mod and I am using mass viaducts for the first time, they are kind of fun.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Khorne posted:

what mod pack should I play

leaning toward a kitchen sink 1.12.2 pack or GTNH or maybe E2E because I haven't played expert yet, I guess post your favorite kitchen sink or really in-depth and cool quest packs. I've never actually played blightfall/project ozone/any of that stuff despite playing modded mc a ton and playing through lots of expert, gregtech, and skyblock packs.

I highly recommend GTNH. There have been some QoL changes to it since I last played it a year ago, such as small ores showing what ore vein is in a chunk and ore veins spawning in 100% of possible spawns. Be prepared to spend a lot of time mining ore in the early game, and it will probably take about at least 3-4 hours of playtime just to get to the steam age. It will feel like a major accomplishment when you do, though.

Also, you can never have too many circuits, pumps and motors.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rustic Waters adds a lot of extra steps for what seems like no reason or payoff whatsoever. I don’t really understand why mods add extra steps n poo poo at all. The biggest example I can think of is how much work it takes to make a single iron bucket in Sevtech.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sevtech at least does you the mercy of eventually cutting those steps out or giving you means to step around them, like mass-producing buckets in a smeltery

PO3 really pissed me off doing the iron plate thing when it's so trivial to get plates but also disabling the stone bucket

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I think it's either Sevtech or E2:E I'm thinking of that crafting a thing the first time was a hurdle but once you did make it an alternate way to make that thing was opened up.
In Volcano Block I felt like once I went through the trouble of making a thing I barely/never really needed to make it again which ended up making me feel like I was checking off boxes on a list rather than accomplishing something useful. That's how the packs that have me go to a planet to get an ore that allows me to get to another planet etc etc make me feel as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

age of engineering was a bit like that, where you would unlock better ways to make things. i thought it was quite good

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Ambaire posted:

I highly recommend GTNH. There have been some QoL changes to it since I last played it a year ago, such as small ores showing what ore vein is in a chunk and ore veins spawning in 100% of possible spawns. Be prepared to spend a lot of time mining ore in the early game, and it will probably take about at least 3-4 hours of playtime just to get to the steam age. It will feel like a major accomplishment when you do, though.

Also, you can never have too many circuits, pumps and motors.

Is it possible to play GTNH without having massive chunk generation lag and a 5 second wait every time I type something into NEI?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Depends posted:

I think it's either Sevtech or E2:E I'm thinking of that crafting a thing the first time was a hurdle but once you did make it an alternate way to make that thing was opened up.
In Volcano Block I felt like once I went through the trouble of making a thing I barely/never really needed to make it again which ended up making me feel like I was checking off boxes on a list rather than accomplishing something useful. That's how the packs that have me go to a planet to get an ore that allows me to get to another planet etc etc make me feel as well.

That's SevTech. Each age adds new recipes to make previous difficult to make items easier. Like going from making leather one hide at a time to just dumping several in a water basin at once.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is anyone using Sildur's Vibrant Shaders? I quite like them, but daytime is extremely pink and I'm wondering if there's a variable I can change to make the color a bit more neutral. This is a screenshot I took around noon.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Whalley posted:

If I'm gunna stick with this pack, I'm gunna tear my whole base apart and move it to the top of the ocean.

Don't do that! It's cold up there, you'll die. I can't tell if it's only a problem at night or if having a burnt-out campfire still counts as a heat source...

Elswyyr posted:

Is it possible to play GTNH without having massive chunk generation lag and a 5 second wait every time I type something into NEI?

Yes, you can go into the NEI categories and right-click some of them to hide them.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive loaded up GTNH

and have died multiple times to dire wolves :/

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
~55 ingame days (~15 hours) into this GTNH save and I've finally made my first steel. There were definitely a lot of optimizations I could have done to get it sooner, but I was also a bit lucky with some ore spawns, too. LV age is probably about 5-6 hours away at this point. Lots of stuff to do to prepare for it, too.

e.

Meskhenet posted:

Ive loaded up GTNH

and have died multiple times to dire wolves :/

If you're not accustomed to GTNH mobs, I recommend playing on peaceful until you get some gear / feel like a challenge / need ender pearls in LV age. Or if you just don't want to deal with the hassle of them. 99% of that 15 hours has been on peaceful. Just me, and the ores.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 10, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah I would say play on peaceful until you have a compound set up, and also delete infernal mobs

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Combat in Minecraft is real bad and I don’t understand why it hasn’t been either revamped or removed.

More ranged weaponry options might help, adding mob crops or ores, maybe summons. Or honestly, just removing it - it isn’t fun.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 10, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Combat in Minecraft is real bad and I don’t understand why it hasn’t been either revamped or removed.
Most mod developers' greatest ideas seem to be "what if I reskinned a pulverizer and made it slightly worse" or "what if this method was used for generating power instead of a machine you put coal into," because for some reason the modding community at large seems to think the only flaw in Minecraft is that you sometimes do things away from a crafting table with an inventory.

Mojang won't change combat that much because it's serviceable enough as is, and they don't wanna ruin "the community" by making people relearn (even though it takes you all of three seconds to come to grips with everything related to MC combat)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Ambaire posted:

~55 ingame days (~15 hours) into this GTNH save and I've finally made my first steel. There were definitely a lot of optimizations I could have done to get it sooner, but I was also a bit lucky with some ore spawns, too. LV age is probably about 5-6 hours away at this point. Lots of stuff to do to prepare for it, too.

e.

If you're not accustomed to GTNH mobs, I recommend playing on peaceful until you get some gear / feel like a challenge / need ender pearls in LV age. Or if you just don't want to deal with the hassle of them. 99% of that 15 hours has been on peaceful. Just me, and the ores.

Hooray! One thing to remember with GTNH is to take your time and set up proper infrastructure. You'll need a sizable rubber tree farm moving forward, and it doesn't hurt to have cows, cotton and carrots set up for later.

A big mistake I always make is trying limp along the early ages with the bare minimum of machines. Ores are functionally infinite so make that second or third steam macerator, make a second or fourth bricked blast furnace. Go big on steam production for bronze/LV ages.

Even if you don't cheat in an electric prospector's scanner (do it), the in game overlay mod tells you when you are in an ore chunk and I believe a recent change made it so said chunks always have a vein. As soon as you have some steel make alumite (mix dusts, don't mix via smeltery), turn that into large plates and make the tool forge. Getting the hammer and lumber axe is such a game changer.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

More ranged weaponry options might help, adding mob crops or ores, maybe summons. Or honestly, just removing it - it isn’t fun.
I'd argue the melee vs melee combat is mildly enjoyable but simplistic. That you can fight spiders, zombies, baby zombies, creepers, etc, in the wide open using a sword or axe or whatever without ever getting hit is kinda fun and cool. That you can just slap down blocks and abuse even more mobs is also cool.

Ghasts and blazes are pretty well designed also, because again you can trivially fight them or even large groups of them without ever getting hit in the open. End dragon is also alright.

Skeleton Archers stand out as bad design and the strongest mob in the game since they made them 100% accurate and removed being able to peek around corners and hide again.

The problem with most mods is they seem to either introduce gear checks or introduce instakill weapons/immortal armors. They don't introduce depth to the combat system or many new mobs that have new ways to play around them. That one mod with ogres and stuff tried and it turned out pretty good, but I'm not sure if it even exists for newer versions. There's also a nether mod that adds things that throw tnt and charging bull blaze guys. That one seems pretty good too.

MC's combat is relatively weak. Mods probably avoid redoing the whole combat system because there's no api for that and it'd be a massive amount of work. Mojang avoids it because people don't care, and already they caused a rift in the pvp community with the combat revamp they did a while ago that introduced the sword swing delay thing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 10, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are there any mods that just remove villages? I know I can turn off structures at worldgen, but that also turns off dungeons.

Pollyanna posted:

There are mods that add different melee weapons that actually play differently (like Spartan Weapons and Spartan Shields, and of course Tinkers). And there's Mob Crops but I've never used it.

Personally I feel that part of the problem is the simple combat system but a larger part is that there's really no mob variety. You see one skeleton you've seen them all. Of course, mod makers try to fix this by adding harder mobs rather than ones that fit the style of the existing game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Life in the woods is iirc minecraft version...1.7.10 or something? Did they ever make skeleton archers NOT Arrow Rambos past that version who rapid-fire arrows at you so fast if you happen to be in water you will actually not be able to approach them because the knockback from each shot will actually start pushing you away from how quickly they hit you

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Downloaded Rustic 1.8 the other day to give it a try after the updates, but by the time I went to play 1.9 was out and had a note that things will change again in 1.10.
So waited for that, which just released.
And sounds much better with a simple mode for those that hated the liquid crafting requirements.

"******1.1*******
-Worktables have been removed as noted in last changelog. Use the temporary recipe to convert your worktables into workshops in the crafting grid BEFORE UPDATING.
-Introducing Pack Modes. I understand that not all players enjoy the "expert style" recipe style that Rustic Waters uses. While the intended vision of the pack, "Artisan Normal" will load as default, there is now another option. "Artisan Simple" pack mode has been added. This mode combines all artisan tables into one, Basic Workshop, and removes all fluid catalyst and tool requirements for artisan recipes. The core parts of the recipes do not change. The "Artisan Simple" mode can be initiated in the configs, and must be done on both server and client. More info found in-game on new world starts.
-"

e: Hasn't even been out a week and he's already up to version 1.10 which is great that he has been on top of bugs and peoples gripes.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

OgNar posted:

-Worktables have been removed as noted in last changelog. Use the temporary recipe to convert your worktables into workshops in the crafting grid BEFORE UPDATING.
-Introducing Pack Modes. I understand that not all players enjoy the "expert style" recipe style that Rustic Waters uses. While the intended vision of the pack, "Artisan Normal" will load as default, there is now another option. "Artisan Simple" pack mode has been added. This mode combines all artisan tables into one, Basic Workshop, and removes all fluid catalyst and tool requirements for artisan recipes. The core parts of the recipes do not change. The "Artisan Simple" mode can be initiated in the configs, and must be done on both server and client. More info found in-game on new world starts.
-"

God, this is what I hate the most about fake game designers like modpacks devs. Tedious != difficult and you’re not a 1337 MLG pro gamer for putting more legos together than someone else. Miss me with this elitist nerd bullshit and make something that’s actually fun for once in your loving life.