Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

So, uh, what is Lindsey Graham going to do about his red line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Koalas March posted:

There is no point in telling people to do better if you're still making GBS threads on them after they actually do better

It's especially lovely when done to, say, women of color, like we don't have other poo poo going on, especially one who's been incredibly open about having an eating disorder because she obviously had mental health she was dealing with during those formative years so god forbid she wasn't following politics at the same time.

We all know that's great for your mental health

Not to mention that she's a woman who routinely puts her fame to good use by advocating for changes in the industry and media.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Koalas March posted:

Wow y'all are really shaming a brown woman from a different country for not being aware of how bad an president was when she was a kid/teen despite properly educating herself after the fact

I am also not from the USA and am the same age as her, and I attended the many many gigantic rallies against Bush that happened while we were teenagers and were impossible to miss unless you were in a coma.

Properly educating yourself at... Age 33, is not properly educating yourself. Especially doing it *after* you've used your public profile and platform to be a civility scold and stan for loving Ellen and GWB.

Believe it or not, some people would have a problem with all of that even if the clueless celeb in question were a white male

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/abdbozkurt/status/1181923827066032128?s=20
https://twitter.com/RTErdogan/status/1181921311846735872?s=20

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TulliusCicero posted:

You mean water didn't turn into wine, and the heavens didn't open?

Do you think evangelicals are even self-aware enough to realize the "anti-christ" they go on about is most likely the guy breaking every law and moral on the books, or do you think this is some 5D Rapture chess?

Because if I still believed what they believe I would be REEEAALL worried right about now

Not to mention there's also a bunch of Bible prophecy which, if you squint, kind of looks like Russia doing stuff in the general direction of Israel. Basically they're playing End Times Bingo while forgetting that the people who actively cause it to happen aren't portrayed particularly well...

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Believe it or not, some people would have a problem with all of that even if the clueless celeb in question were a white male

Lmao I want you to reread what I wrote and then what you wrote and tell me why this is racist

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
The sad truth is the Republicans have win and have changed how and what the President can do and get away with. This impeachment will go nowhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

Not to mention there's also a bunch of Bible prophecy which, if you squint, kind of looks like Russia doing stuff in the general direction of Israel. Basically they're playing End Times Bingo while forgetting that the people who actively cause it to happen aren't portrayed particularly well...

The problem they keep running into that there are supposed to be two evil nations doing stuff in the direction of Israel and while one of them could easily be Russia, there are no good candidates for the other one.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

I am also not from the USA and am the same age as her, and I attended the many many gigantic rallies against Bush that happened while we were teenagers and were impossible to miss unless you were in a coma.

Looking at her Wikipedia, she was hit by a car as a teenager, severely damaged her spine, and she had to relearn to walk with the possibility of never regaining mobility. She’s very close to your coma scenario apparently.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

haveblue posted:

The problem they keep running into that there are supposed to be two evil nations doing stuff in the direction of Israel and while one of them could easily be Russia, there are no good candidates for the other one.

Unless....... uh-oh

And you said America wasn't mentioned in the Bible!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So I finally learned why the Democrats didn't have to have an impeachment vote, while they did every previous time, to start the inquiry.

Apparently it's because Republicans, shortly before Trump got elected, established a state of psuedo-permanent inquiry that allowed House leadership to simply declare an investigation had started, in anticipation for impeaching Hillary Clinton.

loving lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The bombings will continue until peace improves.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

So I finally learned why the Democrats didn't have to have an impeachment vote, while they did every previous time, to start the inquiry.

Apparently it's because Republicans, shortly before Trump got elected, established a state of psuedo-permanent inquiry that allowed House leadership to simply declare an investigation had started, in anticipation for impeaching Hillary Clinton.

loving lol

i don't get why the dems haven't changed a lot of the dumb rules the gop put in place like how you can't call the president a racist (they put it in place when he was going to win the nomination).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

loving lol

this is not correct.

you can go look at the lawfare explainer if you want to learn the actual reason it's largely unnecessary, but please don't post unsourced factually inaccurate poo poo

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
When some Kurds do another 9/11, we'll deserve it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GlyphGryph posted:

loving lol

Like rain on your wedding day

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Violator posted:

Looking at her Wikipedia, she was hit by a car as a teenager, severely damaged her spine, and she had to relearn to walk with the possibility of never regaining mobility. She’s very close to your coma scenario apparently.

I'm sure that was a very traumatic experience for her, but again, she's 33...

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nail Rat posted:

Don't worry, there won't be any Kurds left to do it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

Tbh the Gog and Magog stuff is so goddamn wierd and vague (kinda like everything in Revelations tbh) it's impossible to know what exact country/ area it is referring to, and quite honestly it's extremely possible Revelations is just veiled commentary of Nero's Roman Empire.

Also the Gog and Magog meaning "Russia and? (Germany? The US?) Is largely a modern translation and theory in evangelical circles to justify modern events, just like how the Rapture is entirely made up from like one small passage. If evangelicals actually ever read their favorite book of the Bible they go on about, they would realize what a vague clusterfuck it is (they could also read Mathew, you know the part that says no man can know the date or the hour, and thus it is impossible to try to predict it, but :effort:)

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 9, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Intel_Sky/status/1181856222649171969?s=20
https://twitter.com/BarzanSadiq/status/1181926571210227713?s=20

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bubbacub posted:

He's going to tell trump he didn't see him drop but add two strokes onto Trump's score for that hole anyway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/lsarsour/status/1181778926005342214?s=19

God what a tough week for the family

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
The President is throwing his daily tantrum on Twitter.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

eke out posted:

this is not correct.

you can go look at the lawfare explainer if you want to learn the actual reason it's largely unnecessary, but please don't post unsourced factually inaccurate poo poo

I'm trying to find the bit that talks about this and having no luck, can you link?

Here's a source that confirms what I said.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/politics/nancy-pelosi-letter-impeachment/index.html

quote:

But the House rules have changed since the last impeachment of a president more than two decades ago. In this Congress, the House majority already has unilateral subpoena power, a rule change that was made when Republicans last controlled the House, so Democrats don't need to pass any resolution to grant those powers.

It's not like they were planning to use that poo poo against Trump, although I suppose Obama could also have been the target.

The point is they did it to themselves.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 9, 2019

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Failed Imagineer posted:

There are goons from the USA in this thread who don't know how impeachment works.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nail Rat posted:

gently caress off with this bullshit.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Don't worry, there won't be any Kurds left to do it.

There are some in the US (especially Tennessee) whom I'd imagine will soon be in concentration camps. Hopefully I'm wrong but it seems like the administration would now peg them as being "dangerous."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Decrepus posted:

There are goons from the USA in this thread who don't know how impeachment works.

That is also not good.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Looks like everyone in the region is excited to eliminate all the Kurds from the face of the earth.

https://twitter.com/Marc_F_Martinez/status/1181873647524417537

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

haveblue posted:

So has he decided to burn W or does he legitimately believe this was Obama's fault somehow?
I think somebody gave him something to influence his position, we currently don't know what or who it was, and it's pointless to attempt to analyse his bilious rhetoric as if it might be a window into his motivations instead of a smoke screen to conceal them.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

the right wingers think because they are nakedly partisan and would definitely start an investigation with no basis just to score political points means that others are unable to investigate something without partisan tomfoolery. I guess from now on only republicans can investigate republicans and only republicans can investigate democrats.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Bubbacub posted:

Whine about how mean those bad democrats are

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m from the UK and the idea that someone could be 33, as successful as Jameela is, not realise Bush was that bad until now because she “didn’t do him at school” is absolutely insane to me. Bush was absolutely a well-known figure at that time, and widely hated.

I mean:

https://twitter.com/jameelajamil/status/1181261668954722304

This film is literally about the War on Terror!

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is there an age limit where you aren't allowed to learn new things any more? There are plenty of 50-60 year old people in the US who have no concept that Bush ever did anything wrong. The people in this thread are generally better informed than the vast majority of any population of people. Most people have stuff in their lives that's way more important to them than the political structure of the country they live in -- let alone the ones of countries they don't. That's seriously frustrating when you need their help to get a political movement going via a general strike or public action, but they aren't bad people for not being involved in something that does its level best to exclude them from it.

KM's right in a practical sense, too. If you want people to change their behavior, you can't continue to punish them when they've done something you approve of, or why would anyone bother?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Great Britain has its own fair share of bad leaders, and then there's the rest of Europe with plenty more, so I believe for somebody from the UK GWB ranks pretty low on the list of bad leaders to know and learn about.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

To be fair, using the 9/11 analogy it would probably be a bunch of Turks who blame Kurds.

Also, I am going to back KM here, what's the point of people educating themselves and trying to actually learn about their society if all you guys are going to do is make fun of them/tell them they are awful. If people are legitimately curious and learning you should encourage that not show people who (supposedly) superior you are.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I have to say though, I'm very impressed with the extensive twitter thread Jameela Jamil's sister posted about the long-term implications of George W Bush's foreign policy

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

More info

https://mobile.twitter.com/NPR/status/1181929456283336704

https://mobile.twitter.com/lloyd_rm/status/1181927934489239555

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

Great Britain has its own fair share of bad leaders, and then there's the rest of Europe with plenty more, so I believe for somebody from the UK GWB ranks pretty low on the list of bad leaders to know and learn about.

This is absolutely not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What's the cut off age for learning a new thing and changing based off of your new knowledge?
25? 18? 12? Just wondering.