Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone with an AD joined Mac do the Upgrade yet? Curious whether I'll need to re-join the domain or whether It Just Works™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I missed that this dropped yesterday. Has anyone used the sync services yet? I'm most worried about iTunes' sync.

EDIT: Ha, I just updated Steam to the latest version, and it's still 32 bit.

IUG fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 8, 2019

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
You need to reinstall Steam, and it will be 64-bit. For whatever reason, updating it won’t work.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Update on that weird discoloration with Sidecar: It doesn't happen if I turn off True Tone before connecting. It's happening to some other jerks, too. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250712543?answerId=251359126022&page=1

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Roadie posted:

For anyone using old non-subscription Photoshop, I recommend Affinity Photo as a replacement for the vast majority of what it does, including sliced exports.

Agreed.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aww man, the one thing I was excited about, Sidecar, doesn't work with my late 2015 Macbook Pro (last of the good keyboards!).

I guess I'll try that terminal trick until Apple patches it out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How long does it usually take for Apple's recovery servers to offer up the latest release? I tried Option-⌘-R last night and still got Mojave, but haven't tried today yet.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

IUG posted:

I missed that this dropped yesterday. Has anyone used the sync services yet? I'm most worried about iTunes' sync.

EDIT: Ha, I just updated Steam to the latest version, and it's still 32 bit.

Same as always for me: Apple Music syncing still works fine, Podcasts syncing is still broken and refuses to sync episode status across devices.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I work for one of the big mac hosting companies and even internally we were told, "give it a few weeks" before we give you the all clear to update.

Jesus christ what a mess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aside from the AppleID hiccup I would say, anecdotally, 10.15 is in the Just Works™ camp for now. AppleID was an issue on the first Mac I updated but then I updated three others and my AppleID worked fine on each subsequent.

To answer my own question, Active Directory membership wasn't disrupted at all by the upgrade, so that's a bonus. When I updated to 10.14 I'm pretty sure it broke everything for me.

But I also don't use reminders much, don't particularly care about Sidecar other than the initial "neat" test, etc. The biggest win right now is the death of iTunes which I will celebrate till my own demise.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

I work for one of the big mac hosting companies

mcdonalds?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Martytoof posted:

Aside from the AppleID hiccup I would say, anecdotally, 10.15 is in the Just Works™ camp for now. AppleID was an issue on the first Mac I updated but then I updated three others and my AppleID worked fine on each subsequent.

To answer my own question, Active Directory membership wasn't disrupted at all by the upgrade, so that's a bonus. When I updated to 10.14 I'm pretty sure it broke everything for me.

But I also don't use reminders much, don't particularly care about Sidecar other than the initial "neat" test, etc. The biggest win right now is the death of iTunes which I will celebrate till my own demise.

What hiccup?

After updating my settings app had a (1) badge and it was related to my Apple ID account too I think. It just said I needed to log in before some things were available so I’d click it and put in my password but it never did anything. Plus I was already logged in.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
For at least some people, it just keeps asking you to log in (through System Settings->Apple ID) even if you've already done so.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crunchy Black posted:

I work for one of the big mac hosting companies

How many mac minis do you have running in your garage? :swoon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, the login thing is the hiccup I’m referring to. But the keychain thing fixed it for me. Not sure if it’s still an issue on day 2 and the keychain was a placebo or not so can’t really comment.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
e: probably shouldn't be that specific but well played

Bob Morales posted:

How many mac minis do you have running in your garage? :swoon:

Only own a cheese grater and an xserve ;)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Came into the office today and saw my Catalina MBP sitting wide awake with all three screens bright. Have to assume it didn't go into display sleep at all. Anyone else seen this after updating?

Display sleep still set to 5 minutes on my power savings control panel. Going to have to keep an eye on it today.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Came into the office today and saw my Catalina MBP sitting wide awake with all three screens bright. Have to assume it didn't go into display sleep at all. Anyone else seen this after updating?

Display sleep still set to 5 minutes on my power savings control panel. Going to have to keep an eye on it today.

Let me introduce you to our lord and saviour

code:
sudo pmset -g assertions
And on Windows, powercfg /requests in an admin prompt

Pivo fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 9, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, the login thing is the hiccup I’m referring to. But the keychain thing fixed it for me. Not sure if it’s still an issue on day 2 and the keychain was a placebo or not so can’t really comment.

I'm having this issue, what's the "keychain thing"?

e: nvm found it on the previous page!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So Music and my iPhone sync has been a headache for me last night and this morning. I'm regretting updating so far. (I also don't want to bump my iTunes thread, so I'm ranting here.)

For one, all my album art is gone. I have 13,000+ tracks in Music, and it's been processing them for a while. I thought I ran it overnight, but the app was closed this morning when I woke up. So now 90% of my music doesn't have artwork. It seems if I had to copy/paste the album artwork into iTunes, then it shows up in Music.

Syncing itself seems to be a pain, with no way in the program to invoke a sync at demand. I have to switch to Finder and hope the button isn't grayed out for some reason. (I think part of it was I was attached to the 2.4GHz network, and not the 5GHz my laptop was.). Quitting Music seems to lock it up the few times I tried, and then I can't launch it again if I force quit it. I can't even reboot the computer, as it seems to be stuck waiting for Music to make it's mind (I think). I've already had to hold down the power button twice to reboot my laptop.

I listened to a track last night, and I swear it took more than one sync attempt to get that track updated in Music. It didn't show that track as my last played track for a while. This sucks when I have a playlist of "your new music for today", and if I don't complete the playlist on my phone, I don't know how long it'll take to remove those tracks on Music. Most of my playlists are smart playlists, and they're based on last played times.

And then there's this:

There's 3 more off the screen. I have no idea which playlists these actually are, and they show up properly in Music on my Mac.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pivo posted:

Let me introduce you to our lord and saviour

code:
sudo pmset -g assertions
And on Windows, powercfg /requests in an admin prompt

Sorry I should have been more clear -- I know it's sharingd keeping the system awake under guise of Handoff by checking the assertions, but the only difference between Monday when my system worked and this morning was yesterday's update so I guess I'm checking to see if anyone else is seeing the same behaviour. I submitted it as a bug already :)

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Anyone rocking Catalina on a mid 2014 MBP Retina?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I wish I could disable the sidebar and touch bar and literally just use that screen real estate for more display :rolleyes: .. If I need those bars let me gesture them in or something..

you can tho

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ho humm, I am clearly blind. Thanks!

I just assumed that would be an option on the iPad where I was focusing my attention :q:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Ho humm, I am clearly blind. Thanks!

I just assumed that would be an option on the iPad where I was focusing my attention :q:

the options should be there too since it's acting as a display for your mac.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Anyone know if it’s possible to get the Books app to sort by author’s last name?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anyone had the "Can't actually accept new Apple ID terms and conditions" after the Catalina update?

Coworker updated his MBP and generally everything is fine except he keeps getting a pop saying he needs to accept the new iCloud terms & conditions.

He goes to it, clicks the I Accept button and an error pops up for like 1/3 of a second (I had to screen record it to catch it) saying can't contact the server. So it sits there forever.

Hard reset plus relogin have already been tried. Apple Services page shows everything up and running correctly.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Unrelated to Catalina, if you use iTerm2: update it ASAP

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2019/10/09/iterm2-critical-issue-moss-audit/

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

With Office 2011 on its way out the door whenever I update to Catalina -- I'm curious how well Numbers/Keynote hold up in terms of Microsoft compatibility these days? Is it viable software for someone who needs to occasionally interface with MS Office documents?

Honestly internally we use 95% Google docs for this sort of thing anymore, but I'm going to have to occasionally be able to read/write a light .xlsx file for customers (talking maybe a handful of simple calculations like averages, concatenations between cells, not running Flight Simulator in Excel. Handling locked cells or simple pulldown menus from Excel would be a bonus), or at least reference a PowerPoint that someone else in my company made (again, I don't care if it butchers some obscure animation, I just need to to render the slides for reference).

If I can put that behind me, then I think I just have maybe a steam game or two that will have to die, and Epson needs to make some new scanner software, then I can upgrade!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

With Office 2011 on its way out the door whenever I update to Catalina -- I'm curious how well Numbers/Keynote hold up in terms of Microsoft compatibility these days? Is it viable software for someone who needs to occasionally interface with MS Office documents?

Honestly internally we use 95% Google docs for this sort of thing anymore, but I'm going to have to occasionally be able to read/write a light .xlsx file for customers (talking maybe a handful of simple calculations like averages, concatenations between cells, not running Flight Simulator in Excel. Handling locked cells or simple pulldown menus from Excel would be a bonus), or at least reference a PowerPoint that someone else in my company made (again, I don't care if it butchers some obscure animation, I just need to to render the slides for reference).

If I can put that behind me, then I think I just have maybe a steam game or two that will have to die, and Epson needs to make some new scanner software, then I can upgrade!

Google Sheets can import all Excel formats.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

XBenedict posted:

Google Sheets can import all Excel formats.

Thanks -- this will probably be fine for me to be honest. However I much prefer non cloud based software for responsiveness reasons (or hey, if I'm just on a flight or something). So curious (if anyone here uses it) if Numbers/Keynote do this at least serviceably.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love the annoying rear end red dot I get on the system preferences icon. I don't want to use iCloud, Apple :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there anything I can do to get my work MacBook to shut off the Bluetooth when I close the lid and it's on battery power? I'm sick of forgetting to turn off the Bluetooth at the end of the day and then heading to open it back up when I want to use my headphones with my phone instead.

As this is a work computer, I can't install anything unless it gets approved.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Thanks -- this will probably be fine for me to be honest. However I much prefer non cloud based software for responsiveness reasons (or hey, if I'm just on a flight or something). So curious (if anyone here uses it) if Numbers/Keynote do this at least serviceably.

If it’s light work (no complex pivot tables for example) you’ll be fine. Keynote handles pptx pretty well, there will be some formatting issues but nothing awful. Numbers can do xlsx but the problems in complex sheets will be more significant than formatting, but from what you’ve described it should be fine.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Hey friends I have a weird question - I have a MBP and a PC, but need to create a bootable Windows USB drive on the mac. I've tried a few options but it looks like FAT32 can't have files greater than 4GB and there's one that size in the Windows install.

Anyone create a Win USB from a mac recently? What's the move? I've tried unetbootin and using cp in the terminal, neither have had success.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

Hey friends I have a weird question - I have a MBP and a PC, but need to create a bootable Windows USB drive on the mac. I've tried a few options but it looks like FAT32 can't have files greater than 4GB and there's one that size in the Windows install.

Anyone create a Win USB from a mac recently? What's the move? I've tried unetbootin and using cp in the terminal, neither have had success.

Every time I’ve had to do this I’ve just had to spin up a VM and use the windows media creation tool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I figured waiting a few days to update to Catalina would work out any issues but.....

Everything went fine except it won't let me sign into my Apple ID in the system preferences. The password is right it just bombs out for some reason.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Help. My iTunes keeps trying to backup my iPhone to my computer. I change the setting to backup to iCloud (which is how I have had it set for several years), but every time I reconnect the phone, the setting is reverted and it backs up to the computer :confused:

I am running iOS 12.4.1, macOS 10.14.6, and iTunes 12.9.5.5.

This seems to have started after the Apple Genius reset all my iPhone settings when I had my broken screen replaced because they are the worst.

I have tried every combination of changing the setting, restart iTunes, reconnecting the iPhone that I can think of. I tried chmod -w on the backup folder but get denied, even as root.

What is most remarkable to me is my disk does not even have enough room for a backup, yet iTunes goes through the process of creating a backup, using up all my remaining disk space, only to run out and fail.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My external time machine harddrive won’t unlock anymore since updating to Catalina no matter how many times I put the correct password in.:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

well why not posted:

tuyop posted:

Every time I’ve had to do this I’ve just had to spin up a VM and use the windows media creation tool.

OK I figured this out. Dig up an older (April 2018 works) ISO of windows with a smaller .wim file and use unetbootin. Pleased with the solution.