Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i chortled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBQ6_0IROfw

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Taht video suggested this one, and now i have ooped and so must you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMi_zWeayUk&t=92s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNbpAQGl9jU&t=44s

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-does-vsco-girl-mean-gen-z-trend

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/9/24/20881656/vsco-girl-meme-what-is-a-vsco-girl

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is actually the first I'm hearing about VSCO girls

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

~*sksksksk*~

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

but it also means stop keying... so for a second i thought it was teens telling other teens to stop keying and making the "[blah blah] is typing..." message from showing up when having a text convo.

https://www.lclark.edu/live/files/8674-2011-conference-darling-2

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
guess I'm old cause I thought white girls with scrunchies and puka shell necklaces was a 90s thing

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dave Grool posted:

guess I'm old cause I thought white girls with scrunchies and puka shell necklaces was a 90s thing

what's old is new again

oh god this means the 90s are old

im old

fkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

what's old is new again

oh god this means the 90s are old

im old

fkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

The time between Hitler and now is longer than the time between the American revolution and Hitler. Makes you think.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What's great about Nirvana is it's a band for grandparents and their grandchildren.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The naked swimming baby on the cover of Nevermind is Bernie Sanders

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dave Grool posted:

The value of a fashion statement is the amount of time with which it can draw unfamiliar reactions from others of the culture. With our modern social media systems connecting people and ideas of all demographics at unforeseen speeds, new fashion ideas become blase before the first pair of organic eyes sees them. Trends burst into life, flicker, sputter and die in the space of a month, then a week, then an afternoon. All that was old becomes new again, but can't become new fast enough and skips straight on to ancient. Every scrunchy, skirt, ratty pair of JNCOs, gel pen, denim jacket and hoop skirt will exist simultaneously and crush into a hyperdense singularity of counterculture ennui. Even blank cardboard sheets that say "clothes" in wingdings will be considered boring. No creativity can flourish. Art dies, then civilization collapses out of raw boredom.

Then, in the darkness, someone draws a dick on a cave wall, and life starts anew.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Explain, please.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Its Loss

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Jerry Cotton posted:

Explain, please.

He accidentally took and sent out pictures of his balls.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

He accidentally took and sent out pictures of his balls.

*is accidentally facebook livestreaming his balls

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

*is accidentally facebook livestreaming his balls

I CAN DO THAT??!?!?

E: I have the Facebook application installed but I don't see any option to do that. You're loss, world.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Oct 9, 2019

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

i googled and apparently ten cent owns 1% of activision. LOL 1% having that much control. most of china cant afford to play blizzard games and a large portion that can is just going to play the state approved knock off. look at wow. blizzard took 2 yrs to release wotlk because they had to remove all the skeletons from an undead centric expansion and when they finally released it noone bought it because in those 2 yrs china got their state sponsered version going. the same thing basically happened to league and that poo poo is free. every year i hope someone calls taiwan taiwan instead of taipei and earlier this year doublelift said it in such a slow deliberate way i realised that someone is standing off camera with their contract held over a lighter that noone is going to make that mistake.

i hate the stupid logical fallacy of they have 3billion people thats 3 billion customers! when in reality they have like 500m of people capable of buying this poo poo and about half that will. granted that market is bigger then most markets but you dont need to suck their dick at all they are a garbage country with an on going holocaust.

snergle has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Oct 9, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

snergle posted:

LOL 1% having that much control.

My dude let me tell you about our capitalist society

(But also it's not about Chinese shareholders putting pressure, it's about losing access to a market of more than a billion people)

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

zoux posted:

My dude let me tell you about our capitalist society

(But also it's not about Chinese shareholders putting pressure, it's about losing access to a market of more than a billion people)

yeah i realised the irony as i typed it. and i edited in my complaint about the 1billion market poo poo. it doesnt actually work that way

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

zoux posted:

This is actually the first I'm hearing about VSCO girls

I think I'm finally old enough to hate everyone younger than me. What a bliss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1181988184001003520

At least gamers seem to be as mad about this as they were about phone Diablo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Teenage boys elated to finally have a common Dad to say "gently caress you" to.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

snergle posted:

i googled and apparently ten cent owns 1% of activision. LOL 1% having that much control. most of china cant afford to play blizzard games and a large portion that can is just going to play the state approved knock off. look at wow. blizzard took 2 yrs to release wotlk because they had to remove all the skeletons from an undead centric expansion and when they finally released it noone bought it because in those 2 yrs china got their state sponsered version going. the same thing basically happened to league and that poo poo is free. every year i hope someone calls taiwan taiwan instead of taipei and earlier this year doublelift said it in such a slow deliberate way i realised that someone is standing off camera with their contract held over a lighter that noone is going to make that mistake.

i hate the stupid logical fallacy of they have 3billion people thats 3 billion customers! when in reality they have like 500m of people capable of buying this poo poo and about half that will. granted that market is bigger then most markets but you dont need to suck their dick at all they are a garbage country with an on going holocaust.

Clearly you've never played a phone game. The Chinese playerbase spends a fuckton of money.

Even in your example that 50% is like the entire population of America.

zoux posted:

The naked swimming baby on the cover of Nevermind is Bernie Sanders

Should have spent more time swimming maybe he'd have avoided that heart attack

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Azhais posted:

Clearly you've never played a phone game. The Chinese playerbase spends a fuckton of money.

Even in your example that 50% is like the entire population of America.

Yup it's a classic case of "money talks."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

snergle posted:

i googled and apparently ten cent owns 1% of activision. LOL 1% having that much control.

It’s not 1% it’s just over 5%. And that seems small but it’s huge when you’re talking about equity in a publicly traded company. That 5% translates to just over $2 billion. To put it in perspective the largest % held by a single group is 7.5% held by an investment firm and the largest single individual is Bobby Kotick at about .3%. Ten cents stake is enough to buy them a seat at the table and some weight to throw around for policy decisions.

And it isn’t just Activision, they’ve been low key buying up sizable shares of every publicly traded publisher they can for the last 10 years.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Oct 9, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Uh this is just teenagers being teenagers, right? Paradoxically obsessed with both individuality and conformity with everyone else at the same time. I can't be annoyed at it, the trend before this one - the YouTuber/Instagram make-up artist wanna-be - was much worse than people who just want to look carefree and environmentally conscious.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Uh this is just teenagers being teenagers, right? Paradoxically obsessed with both individuality and conformity with everyone else at the same time. I can't be annoyed at it, the trend before this one - the YouTuber/Instagram make-up artist wanna-be - was much worse than people who just want to look carefree and environmentally conscious.

it's VSCO panic

Sksksk-scare!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It’s not 1% it’s just over 5%. And that seems small but it’s huge when you’re talking about equity in a publicly traded company. That 5% translates to just over $2 billion. To put it in perspective the largest % held by a single group is 7.5% held by an investment firm and the largest single individual is Bobby Kotick at about .3%. Ten cents stake is enough to buy them a seat at the table and some weight to throw around for policy decisions.

And it isn’t just Activision, they’ve been low key buying up sizable shares of every publicly traded publisher they can for the last 10 years.

See this guy's avatar? That's a boss from the Chinese localization of WoW. Depictions of bones and skeletons are apparently taboo in China, so Blizzard had to reskin anything skeletal. (At least that's the story I read many years ago, sorry if it's wrong) ` Here's what the boss looks like everywhere else.

I'm not presenting this as evidence of anything, I just think it's funny.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Chinese taboo on showing skeletons isn’t real, it was probably just Blizzard deciding to cut back on the gruesome imagery a lot and be sure it would pass the first time, rather than cut too little and have to go back for another pass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Flesh Man is way more gruesome imo!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dr Christmas posted:

The Chinese taboo on showing skeletons isn’t real, it was probably just Blizzard deciding to cut back on the gruesome imagery a lot and be sure it would pass the first time, rather than cut too little and have to go back for another pass.

It was definitely a thing, Magic the Gathering had to do the same thing with all of their cards depicting skeletons too. It’s less a cultural thing though, and more a random roadblock thrown up by the party to delay western companies from releasing in China and give Chinese based companies time to establish a market share.

Though it’s also gotten more restrictive in recent years, the party also recently purged a bunch of Chinese based podcasts about folklore because ‘superstitions are harmful to the mentality of the Chinese citizen.’

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Oct 9, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
What the gently caress even are ~TEENS~ anyway?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
cartoon skeletons = NO
actual skeletons from executed prisoners used in Body Worlds = YES

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I think 8 is overestimating the cost