Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ghosthotel posted:

This is wild to me.

In the first 30 minutes he follows a woman to her job and then we’re shown later he’s created an elaborate fantasy where she was totally okay with that and actually thinks it’s cute.

Later on during the Murray show even though he’s part of a system that is profiting off the poor and mentally ill he’s still right that “there are good people.”, but Arthur is too far gone at that point.

His “triumph” is that he’s locked up in notoriously lovely Arkham Asylum and has fully embraced being a monster.

I thought the movie was pretty good, nothing out of this world but it doesn’t need to look directly at you and say “hey these things are bad!!”

It reminds me of an argument I got into with someone who told me the Watchmen movie implicitly supported The Comedian torching Vietnamese people in the opening credits because he was smiling and it was in slow motion. You should already know these things are bad!!!

This is a relevant argument to have about film and I feel you are wrong.

You see the reality is in our world, people are loving stupid. People see people in film doing things they have to be actively told those things are bad or they will think they are ok. That's just the way people are.

That's why the vast majority of people who see The Wolf of Wall Street believe than the Wolf is a hero, a very cool guy. They want to emulate him and that has directly impacted our world culture.

The problem is, when making film, creators and directors do not consider their responsibility, or the fact there is a wider audience beyond hollywood, and beyond America, watching and partaking in their film, through thousands of different languages, cultures, and comprehension levels.

These morally ambigious films are great art, they feel great for people intelligent enough, or well versed enough to understand, but that's less than 40% of the total population. The vast majority of people on earth are loving idiots and will feel no qualms about loving up everything for everyone else. That's why you have to be very careful with what you do whenever you are doing something that has the chance of influencing a lot of people.

I would even venture as far as to say it's not possible to create a film in any way that is morally correct in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Also this movie is definitely going to make some kids start smoking, joker made it look cool as hell

Did anyone else notice that every time there was a close up with him smoking it was almost down to the butt?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

You can only make film for retarded babies who don’t know right from wrong. You must explicitly explain everything at every step. Stories and art are dangerous, and must only be used for moral instruction. Anything else risks people turning Joker and saying the N word at church.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ThanosWasRight posted:

You see the reality is in our world, people are loving stupid. People see people in film doing things they have to be actively told those things are bad or they will think they are ok. That's just the way people are.

That's why the vast majority of people who see The Wolf of Wall Street believe than the Wolf is a hero, a very cool guy. They want to emulate him and that has directly impacted our world culture.

The problem is, when making film, creators and directors do not consider their responsibility, or the fact there is a wider audience beyond hollywood, and beyond America, watching and partaking in their film, through thousands of different languages, cultures, and comprehension levels.

These morally ambigious films are great art, they feel great for people intelligent enough, or well versed enough to understand, but that's less than 40% of the total population. The vast majority of people on earth are loving idiots and will feel no qualms about loving up everything for everyone else. That's why you have to be very careful with what you do whenever you are doing something that has the chance of influencing a lot of people.

I would even venture as far as to say it's not possible to create a film in any way that is morally correct in this day and age.

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Liberalism

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I don't believe in horseshoe theory but there's something to be said for how the idea that politics is downstream from culture is both the cornerstone of both alt-right pepes and wokescold blue checkmarks.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ThanosWasRight posted:

Nice username/post combination

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ThanosWasRight posted:

A truly rancid post. Powerfully dumb.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Palate cleanser for that awful post.

https://twitter.com/ryanheezy/status/1181398453429161984

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

RIP to the people who were murdered by Dungeons and/or Dragons.

Jokes aside tho, suicides do rise after TV shows featuring suicides air. Movies aren’t mind control but people do absorb ideas from them.

well why not fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 9, 2019

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It’s cool how everyone is worried that a movie where the rich are murdered is dangerous for society

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

It’s cool how everyone is worried that a movie where the rich are murdered is dangerous for society

It’s almost entirely the media concerned about this. Almost as if there’s an agenda about damaging a movie that encourages class war, and a further agenda about using that narrative as marketing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

well why not posted:

RIP to the people who were murdered by Dungeons and/or Dragons.

Jokes aside tho, suicides do rise after TV shows featuring suicides air. Movies aren’t mind control but people do absorb ideas from them.

heavy metal made me a satanist according to some guy on tv.

jokes aside (lol) im not surprised the movie seems to be a hit over here where the corrupt rich have hosed us to hell and back.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1181269223403855872

Holy poo poo, lol.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Isn't that like 99% of movies? lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
99% is being generous!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

99% is being generous!

Okay, okay, 99.9% there's probably someone out there who honestly made a movie just because they were bored and didn't care about the money.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

How rich could those guys be if they were taking the subway?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

well why not posted:

It’s almost entirely the media concerned about this. Almost as if there’s an agenda about damaging a movie that encourages class war, and a further agenda about using that narrative as marketing.

I can't believe it only took like a year for Gotti's "the critics don't like this movie, so go see it to stick it to those ivory tower media elites" marketing push to be completely internalized.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

I can't believe it only took like a year for Gotti's "the critics don't like this movie, so go see it to stick it to those ivory tower media elites" marketing push to be completely internalized.

Nah it's true. The criticism is joker is shallow with nothing to say, and audiences disagree. Take this New Yorker review.

quote:

A movie of a cynicism so vast and pervasive as to render the viewing experience even emptier than its slapdash aesthetic does.

Maybe a guy who reviews movies for the New Yorker for a living can't actually relate to the pervasive cynicism defining American culture. I think it's hilarious CNN, a corporate news network, would criticize a movie for being a part of the corporate machine.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 9, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Movie too long

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

What's even crazier is the article isn't even that strident. It doesn't say anything beyond "Movies exist, they make money, this movie probably won't inspire violence, but it could." The unstated subtext is that...he doesn't think the movie was very good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Joker, 2019 d. Phillips

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

ruddiger posted:

Joker, 2019 d. Phillips

:laffo:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ruddiger posted:

How rich could those guys be if they were taking the subway?

It's a stand in for 70s/80s New York and I think those guys worked for Wayne Finance or something. Plenty of Wall Street guys and the other rich and rich-adjacent ride the train.

Sexual harassers/bullies/finance guys getting splattered is fine by me at least. :discourse:

well why not posted:

It's definitely because of the class war aspect. Nothing else makes sense. The Aurora shooting wasn't because of the movie itself, any big showing would have done, that was just a convenient way to get people to kill. There's been more than one Batman movie since then, including a terrible one with only villains.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

well why not posted:

This is a movie produced by a cadre of millionaires designed to make more millions are you loving kidding me with this poo poo, it's almost as if this sort of message is incredibly profitable these days and corporations are trying to exploit it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pussy Quipped posted:

No he just walked through a puddle of red paint on the way out of her office then an orderly decided to chase him down the hallway.

Am I an idiot or is ‘the whole movie is a joke the Joker was telling himself in the psychiatrist interview’ a possible interpretation of the film?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Am I an idiot or is ‘the whole movie is a joke the Joker was telling himself in the psychiatrist interview’ a possible interpretation of the film?

It's possible, though stupid.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Necrothatcher posted:

It's possible, though stupid.

Fair enough, I might just be bringing in too much of the comics where the Joker reinvents his origin whenever a writer wants to put their own spin on it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
He was killed when he got jumped by the kids and the rest is a dying purgatorial vision until he wakes up in heaven (white walls)

Sheogorath
Mar 29, 2007

Does anyone think the scene where he kills the one coworker and lets the other one go could be a delusional fantasy?

It makes no sense to me that his coworkers would come by his apartment, would know that his mother had died, would know where he lives, etc.

It rings a lot more true as fantasy about being able to kill the one who wronged him and dole out clemency to the only one who was every nice to him rather than an actual event that occurred.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I had assumed it was the investigators that also investigating that dude and Arthur that dropped the info.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Sheogorath posted:

Does anyone think the scene where he kills the one coworker and lets the other one go could be a delusional fantasy?

It makes no sense to me that his coworkers would come by his apartment, would know that his mother had died, would know where he lives, etc.

It rings a lot more true as fantasy about being able to kill the one who wronged him and dole out clemency to the only one who was every nice to him rather than an actual event that occurred.

The director just wanted to make a little person joke.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

skooma512 posted:

It's definitely because of the class war aspect. Nothing else makes sense. The Aurora shooting wasn't because of the movie itself, any big showing would have done, that was just a convenient way to get people to kill. There's been more than one Batman movie since then, including a terrible one with only villains.

Nobody even knew about the class war aspect until the movie actually came out and even now it's mostly just a footnote in discussions of the film. I get that people are having a grand old time dunking on hot takes from thinkpiece writers but this recent narrative of them all being class traitors who are covertly and intentionally manipulating the public at the bidding of their shadowy billionaire cabal masters is asinine.

Especially when it comes full circle and the people who were making fun of writers for thinking that a movie could incite a shooting are now unironically accusing those same writers of trying to incite a shooting, becoming the very thing they were making fun of.

Sheogorath posted:

I doubt it because the movie doesn't have that kind of subtlety, when the neighbor doesn't recognize him it immediately smash cuts into a ten second long supercut of every scene of the two of them together in the movie just to make absolutely sure that you Get It.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sheogorath posted:

The thing about “it’s all in his head” interpretations and why they usuallly suck is that most scenes of a movie can be interpreted as a characters fantasy because the movie itself is a fantasy about that characters psychology.

There’s nothing that stands out in this scene that suggests it should be taken differently from any others, also they were coming by more out of guilt-obligation (and wanting to make sure he wasn’t going to talk about the gun) than anything else.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Exactly correct - 'it was all in their head' is just an inelegant way to say that while a film may be 'objectively' filmed in third person, it nevertheless represents someone's point of view.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I liked it. I do think there's a strain of shitbags who will be 'inspired' by it. The last decade of shitbags shooting people is a strong indicator of that.

Not that there'll be any violence off the back of it (I loving hope not at least) but the usual Pepe scum will be worshipping it for years to come.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 9, 2019

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do guy guys think the credits sequence was just in Joker's head. I've just heard about this thing called the unreliable narrator so I want to apply it to everything I can.

I do sorta wonder how this movie would have been perceived if it didn't have the comic book connection. Like does being a comic book movie lower audience expectations? Allow it to dodge comparisons to King of Comedy? Because strictly speaking, nothing here "needed" to be Batman related, especially since it doesn't even keep previous characterizations, e.g., Thomas Wayne being the one good rich guy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Blast Fantasto posted:

The score for this movie was very good and reminded me a lot of Johann Johannsson’s work - I looked it up and the composer for Joker, Hildur Guonadottir, actually played cello on a number of Johannsson’s scores.

Edit: She also apparently won an Emmy for Chernobyl too so there’s that. Looking forward to more scores from her

It reminded me a lot of the more bombastic parts of Carter Burwell’s score for Fargo, which isn’t a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Most of Thomas Wayne’s rep as being the bestest guy ever comes from Bruce though, and of course he’s going to think that about his dead dad.

It’s not necessarily contradictory about the idea that Thomas Wayne was a generous philanthropist who also maybe had an an illegitimate son and said some kinda iffy stuff about poor people and the mentally ill. I mean however many hospitals he built he was also the head of a weapons manufacturing megacorp.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 9, 2019