Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
lmao at the "it's all hot garbage" replies i cant believe anroid wins this round. still thinking about switching tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

poty posted:

i didnt read it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
yeah the first catalina boot experience is not great. tons of apple things asking for permission or consent at the same time.

not sure it will get better in version .1 they didnt even have a hard public deadline for this one

a fun bug: if you have two icloud accounts it will ask you on start-up to accept the icloud terms and conditions twice but it will only work for the one account you logged on to. if you retry the second item it will keep failing with a generic error. the way to clear the nagging badge for system preferences is to go to the internet accounts panel and pick your secondary icloud account there. you dont need to log on to it

poty fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 9, 2019

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

yeah the first catalina boot experience is not great. tons of apple things asking for permission or consent at the same time.

not sure it will get better in version .1 they didnt even have a hard public deadline for this one

this is frustrating all sorts of apps that do indexing with repeated requests for folders instead of just asking for drive access. for example i still use quicksilver, which is all sorts of confused by the update

photoanalysisd is going bonkers reindexing my photo library of course, mixed with several apps needing to be rechecked for integrity for no reason

the flip is the win 10 1903 update made my desktop reset repeatedly due to a dll that it refused to tell me was stopping the update, so every os is dumb about updates and i hate them

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

catalina’s app store has my purchase history blank. fantastic. good thing i didn’t rely on it for much beyond pixelmator and baldur’s gate 2 ee

it fucks me off that pixelmator forked their app and asked everyone to buy it all over again

I own the original fork but am to cheap to buy pixelmator pro

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

pram posted:

they all seemingly cost the same exact amount of money so just use the one that has the best integration with your preferred operating system. what the gently caress is the point of being tribal about cloud file storage lol

dropbox hosed me off by suddnely realising they need to make money somehow and limiting their free tier to syncing to a max of 3 devices

how am I gonna sync my dotfiles and personal docs and 1password in a non-annoying way now

:qqsay:

work blocks icloud so I can't even use that for 1pass

:qqsay:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bhodi posted:

lmao at the "it's all hot garbage" replies i cant believe anroid wins this round. still thinking about switching tho

that's kind of the gag, isn't it

the newest ios update could require you to lick a goatse butthole on the screen to unlock and it would still be better than dealing with a phone os controlled by an advertising company

apple can gently caress everything up, endlessly, and it will still probably be the better solution. it will just make us all sad an angry while we retain what little remains of our privacy

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

poty posted:

lmao remember the "Cancel or Allow" mac vs pc ad

really what we should have been mad about at the time was how many apps want admin access they shouldn't need

posting on the boeing pro max page

pram
Jun 10, 2001

poty posted:

two icloud accounts

what the gently caress

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

pram posted:

what the gently caress

i think that's an old person thing. people have posted about it before.

e: oh no wait that was boomers signing multiple people into their phone so that they can share text messages or whatever and then getting mad when the other party accidentally deletes all their stuff

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
this only makes the original question, "what the gently caress," even less solved for

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

'wait until .1' is enduring advice for a reason

and apple even managed to gently caress this up since the first point release will now be rushed out and, like ios, will be full of bugs too, so now it's .2 at the earliest

Stymie fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 9, 2019

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

pram posted:

what the gently caress

i wanted an email address for :allears:my business:allears: and icloud is free and doesnt spy on you

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Gentle Autist posted:

dropbox hosed me off by suddnely realising they need to make money somehow and limiting their free tier to syncing to a max of 3 devices

how am I gonna sync my dotfiles and personal docs and 1password in a non-annoying way now

the best file syncing solution at the moment is using Transmit as a front-end to auto-sync folders to OneDrive.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
btw shout-out to Panic for making conditional CSS to make sure things look as rad as possible on Display P3 monitors

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

the best file syncing solution at the moment is using Transmit as a front-end to auto-sync folders to OneDrive.

on a local network the best file transfer solution is netcat with friends. you get to have fun choosing which port you're going to use and it doesn't get more private than that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

go play outside Skyler posted:

on a local network the best file transfer solution is netcat with friends. you get to have fun choosing which port you're going to use and it doesn't get more private than that

blasphemer

tar is the only good file transfer tool

network encapsulation of stdout/stdin is up to the user

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

skipping 2700 posts to say that I learned of catalina release first from my uncle, who called with “my utorrent stopped working after Apple installer”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Gentle Autist posted:

it fucks me off that pixelmator forked their app and asked everyone to buy it all over again

I own the original fork but am to cheap to buy pixelmator pro
when i first was setting things up i thought pixelmator had delisted their original app recently for this reason lol

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the newest ios update could require you to lick a goatse butthole on the screen to unlock and it would still be better than dealing with a phone os controlled by an advertising company

how do we make a feature request

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I looked at setting up sync thing between my macs and using Dropbox/WLAN Server just for my 1Pass to my phone but it quickly felt too much like janitoring so now I just periodically sync my personal laptop manually

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

why not just pay for the sync service and never janitor anything ever? it’s real good and I can share logins with other people in my family and it loving owns. u dont need some rube goldberg poo poo that relies on dropbox not turning into a social media company

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

catalina caper was overall an unremarkable episode of mst3k but it has one of the all-time best songs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

jesus WEP posted:

catalina caper was overall an unremarkable episode of mst3k but it has one of the all-time best songs

constantly implying that they were all nazis was pretty hilarious, tbh

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

how do we make a feature request

Gotcha I'm not suggesting spamming Apple with Kirk's anus, just that maybe an illustration of exactly what you mean might put your suggestion at the top of the pile.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/emilyst/status/1181711698580758529

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

here you go, tinyphoneailures
https://twitter.com/essential/status/1181734328130252802?s=20

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

it doesn't look like a thumb can reach all parts of the screen without doing the little phone shimmy and it's also tall enough that it might stick out of a shallow pocket

do you understand any part of why some people want smaller phones

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

a phone that won’t support most apps is a cool idea I guess? but this is more companion phone poo poo like that palm failure, which misses the point

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's a smartwatch you keep in your other pocket

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cool, a universal remote that's all touchscreen

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

catalina update: far away living relatives have updated, but teamviewer does not support it for now. this is 2 funs out of 5

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sounds like a plus

olds get locked down iPads because remote tech support is hell

pram
Jun 10, 2001

tim.....

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I switched to zsh now. works for me. thanks tim

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

catalina update: far away living relatives have updated, but teamviewer does not support it for now. this is 2 funs out of 5

since mojave they've required additional steps via system preferences/accessibility to enable remote view and remote interaction, for security. the upshot being, no more remote support for people who have trouble figuring out how to use the mouse, let alone follow multi-step instructions

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

since mojave they've required additional steps via system preferences/accessibility to enable remote view and remote interaction, for security. the upshot being, no more remote support for people who have trouble figuring out how to use the mouse, let alone follow multi-step instructions

on mojave it worked. right now i can connect to a catalina instance as well, but i don’t see anything under the menu bar. i couldn’t be arsed to repro that on my mbp and ascertain if it’s software or os problem, so i just skyped download link to what they wanted to have

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
these new iOS share sheets suck rear end, timb

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

on mojave it worked. right now i can connect to a catalina instance as well, but i don’t see anything under the menu bar. i couldn’t be arsed to repro that on my mbp and ascertain if it’s software or os problem, so i just skyped download link to what they wanted to have

there’s a new screen recording permission as of Catalina I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Some people give thanks to tim, and some people curse him. That's how it is to be tim