Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SubG posted:

Nah. I mean I guess if you want to define `luxury' to mean literally anything other than the cheapest possible alternative then okay. But at least at my local Safeway the (current) difference in price between Kerrygold and e.g. Land O' Lakes is just a few cents. The most expensive options are the upscale locally-produced options, like the domestically produced `European-style' butters.

I'd be interested to know your proximity to a port or major international airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Was this the thread that was discussing creamy jalapeño salsa? Can some one point me to the page number?

But would it ruin it if I included green bell peppers?

Basically I have to go to a party tonight and I have to use up about 8 jalapeños, 3 green bells, and a large onion. It feels like roasting them and throwing them in the processor with cilantro and lime is the right answer, but I’m just not sure about those bells.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Knockknees posted:

Was this the thread that was discussing creamy jalapeño salsa? Can some one point me to the page number?

Basically I have to go to a party tonight and I have to use up about 8 jalapeños, 3 green bells, and a large onion. It feels like roasting them and throwing them in the processor with cilantro and lime is the right answer, but I’m just not sure about those bells.

Sounds good to me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Knockknees posted:

The answer to this question is “absolutely “ 99% of the time. The only application where green bell pepper doesn’t make something much worse is as part of Cajun trinity.

Sorry about not finding the page for the chat about the sauce, but I’m on mobile right now.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I had some bad poo poo go down last fall that hosed me up mentally for like a year. It sucked and I pretty much quit cooking anything more complicated than a sandwich.

But it's fall again and I've started to get my kitchen groove back. I just made a chicken and wild rice skillet bake from scratch that I'm super proud of - it's delicious, fairly simple, and I can easily make it vegan/vegetarian if I choose.

Just felt like posting to say thanks for all the info and entertainment - it helps more than you know.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

KitConstantine posted:

I had some bad poo poo go down last fall that hosed me up mentally for like a year. It sucked and I pretty much quit cooking anything more complicated than a sandwich.

But it's fall again and I've started to get my kitchen groove back. I just made a chicken and wild rice skillet bake from scratch that I'm super proud of - it's delicious, fairly simple, and I can easily make it vegan/vegetarian if I choose.

Just felt like posting to say thanks for all the info and entertainment - it helps more than you know.

Glad you are getting back into it! Chicken and wild rice is something I grew up with and is still one of my like, top 10 favorite things to eat. Great choice.

Hell, why did wild rice seemingly fall out of fashion? It’s still great!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

SubG posted:

Nah. I mean I guess if you want to define `luxury' to mean literally anything other than the cheapest possible alternative then okay. But at least at my local Safeway the (current) difference in price between Kerrygold and e.g. Land O' Lakes is just a few cents. The most expensive options are the upscale locally-produced options, like the domestically produced `European-style' butters.

at mine kerrygold is $7/lb and clover is $3.75

i think we might have found a root of our differing perspective

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Glad you are getting back into it! Chicken and wild rice is something I grew up with and is still one of my like, top 10 favorite things to eat. Great choice.

My mom cooked it all the time too! My guess is that it's sometimes more expensive and takes a relatively long time to cook. I wonder why health food/natural diet nerds didn't go for it heavy though, it's a whole grain, hasn't been messed with much genetically, and native to North America!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

at mine kerrygold is $7/lb and clover is $3.75

i think we might have found a root of our differing perspective
Yeah, checking the USDA numbers I'm paying above the national average butter prices, and at the high end of US urban prices. I don't have any data handy, but the place where I live has undergone a substantial increase in population density over the past couple years (thousands of units of high-density housing have gone up within a couple miles in the past several years) and that's been driving up grocery prices across the board. So I guess all butter's a luxury here now? In any case, yeah I'm paying more, imported or domestic.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Two words, Keen-Wah.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried AB's Cheesy Quinoa Casserole yet?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Two words, Keen-Wah.

I thought about it based solely on the cheese and butter ratios mean it is undoubtedly delicious, but even (especially as) a fat dude, it seems like a bit more of an indulgence than I can mentally make myself take on a quinoa dish, if that makes sense. Looks really tasty though

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Give to me your authentic Ropa Vieja recipes. I lost my go-to and the ones I am finding online all look weird and terrible.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Cuban-Style-Ropa-Vieja/

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ropa-vieja

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/11/ropa-vieja-cuban-latin-american-beef-stew-recipe.html

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Can confirm the Bon Appetit recipe is good if you up the peppers.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

Two words, Keen-Wah.

Don’t cook quinoa, you’ll get raided

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/01/new-york-police-terrorism-pressure-cooker

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Actually my takeaway from that article is "don't google poo poo at work, on a work computer, that's obviously not work related"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Coasterphreak posted:

Actually my takeaway from that article is "don't google poo poo at work, on a work computer, that's obviously not work related"

Lol my old workplace is still getting ads for used trucks

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Squashy Nipples posted:

As much as I hate Guy, for a while he had a show where he actually cooked, all by himself, with no one else to clown around with... and it was pretty good? I guess I was surprised that he can actually cook.

That's the worst part of Guy's schtick. He can actually cook. He just refuses to and commits food warcrimes because that's the persona they want for TV.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I don't blame Mr. Fieri for milking his schtick for all it's worth

Tangentially every place I've eaten at with a DDnD sign on it has been pretty satisfying, though obviously not high culture

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
My *GIRLFRIEND* is now in charge of doing weekly Friday breakfasts at her work (it's a startup out of a converted house) and I'm looking for suggestions for large family meals that are inexpensive and easy. They've done waffle bars with success. I was thinking maybe baking breakfast casseroles. We're also in California so we have access to a ton of produce so international suggestions are welcome (just rewatched the Ugly Delicous episode where dave chang advocates for Asian breakfasts are superior). They apparently only have a toaster oven in the house though. Thanks for any help!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Baked French toast casserole

Breakfast tacos

Shakshuka

Do you have a SV?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Congee with toppings. Chorizo/corned beef hash. Crockpot oatmeal.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Congee with toppings. Chorizo/corned beef hash. Crockpot oatmeal.

gently caress you I was gonna say that.

Frittatas or big egg bakes are good too.

Shakshuka

Breakfast rito bar

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Hell, all of those are good. I did literally just buy an instant pot sous vide circulator and a cambro container last week so I was looking at sous vide stuff too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Liquid Communism posted:

That's the worst part of Guy's schtick. He can actually cook. He just refuses to and commits food warcrimes because that's the persona they want for TV.

watch his Hot Ones interview, it's great because his facade is down for almost the whole shoot

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He also goes hard on the wings if memory serves.

He's visited several places around my home city. Chief amongst them as my favorite, Pierogi Mountain. Which is a little dive that's inside a bar. And they're fantastic.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Pierogi Mountain

I want to go to there based on nothing but the name.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Guy visited a place not far from my home. They have very good mediterranean with probably the best pita I've had as well as some killer cookies and gelato. They're no longer a dive though, now it's a huge place with vaulted ceilings, a giant door, white columns the works. And sadly, prices that go with all that. It's still super busy though.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I feel like I'm losing my passion for cooking because the people I cook for are picky pains in my rear end:

One dislikes pretty much anything heavily spiced in the very broad curry-ish family which eliminates a significant amount of south asian and middle eastern cuisine. She also dislikes tomatos, olives, and cheese (alone or in combination) which throws italian right out the window. Also no fish or seafood of any kind. She will happily eat stir fry and most east asian things (except of course the delicious fermented things)... BUT the other dislikes dishes with soy and is generally fairly non-adventurous.

He contributes on occasion with big cooking projects like american barbecue and that's awesome but once a month or so. She hates cooking and I am not willing to have her contribute because while she's got decent technical skills her utter lack of passion or interesting taste means I don't want to eat her food (and she won't be cooking anyway).

drat near every cuisine out there I enjoy is eliminated by one or the other pickyass eater. What the gently caress do I do? I want to tell them to shut the gently caress up and eat the food (usually he does, but she whines when it's something she doesn't like) but despite my almost all of the cooking and shopping they pitch in significantly to pay for the food so I want a more harmonious solution than "shut up gently caress you".

I'm just getting so loving bored making the handful of things in my repertoire that they'll both eat that don't require huge time investments (since I cook 4 to 5 nights a week I try to keep most things on the relatively quick side with the occasional bigger slower project when I have the time and energy). Besides, if I just make the same things they complain about it.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 9, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Resting Lich Face posted:

I feel like I'm losing my passion for cooking because the people I cook for are picky pains in my rear end:

One dislikes pretty much anything heavily spiced in the very broad curry-ish family which eliminates a significant amount of south asian and middle eastern cuisine. She also dislikes tomatos, olives, and cheese (alone or in combination) which throws italian right out the window. Also no fish or seafood of any kind. She will happily eat stir fry and most east asian things (except of course the delicious fermented things)... BUT the other dislikes dishes with soy and is generally fairly non-adventurous.

He contributes on occasion with big cooking projects like american barbecue and that's awesome but once a month or so. She hates cooking and I am not willing to have her contribute because while she's got decent technical skills her utter lack of passion or interesting taste means I don't want to eat her food (and she won't be cooking anyway).

drat near every cuisine out there I enjoy is eliminated by one or the other pickyass eater. What the gently caress do I do? I want to tell them to shut the gently caress up and eat the food (usually he does, but she whines when it's something she doesn't like) but despite my almost all of the cooking and shopping they pitch in significantly to pay for the food so I want a more harmonious solution than "shut up gently caress you".

I'm just getting so loving bored making the handful of things in my repertoire that they'll both eat that don't require huge time investments (since I cook 4 to 5 nights a week I try to keep most things on the relatively quick side with the occasional bigger slower project when I have the time and energy). Besides, if I just make the same things they complain about it.

Why is it your job to feed those losers what they want? Learn to cook meals for one.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Make what you want and gently caress em and have more leftovers for lunch. If they don't like it (and everyone here is an adult) they can make something for themselves.

Re: Guy Chat

I've been to the Diner in Norman, OK that he stopped at. It was pretty loving good. Some of the best brisket hash I've EVER had.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

:sever:

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

This is the correct answer. Stop cooking for ungrateful babies and let them make themselves sad foods.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Stop cooking for them, not because they're monsters (they aren't) but because your cooking makes everyone's lives worse. You're pissy and resentful, obviously unhappy. On their side, do you think they like paying for food they hate? Do you think they enjoy being called morons and babies?

Literally everyone is unhappy because you demand to be the only cook. Just let everyone do their own thing, and don't be a contemptuous rear end in a top hat about that either.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Stop cooking for them, not because they're monsters (they aren't) but because your cooking makes everyone's lives worse. You're pissy and resentful, obviously unhappy. On their side, do you think they like paying for food they hate? Do you think they enjoy being called morons and babies?

Literally everyone is unhappy because you demand to be the only cook. Just let everyone do their own thing, and don't be a contemptuous rear end in a top hat about that either.

this

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Please tell me you're their parent or something.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

esperantinc posted:

I want to go to there based on nothing but the name.

It's great. Come to Columbus, and go on a Saturday night around 8-9pm and do a karaoke at the bar it's in.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I feel like knowing what your relationship to these people is would really help in giving advice here. Are they just roommates? then gently caress 'em. Are they your children or partners? ehhh not really so simple. You clearly WANT to make them happy and cook for them, but yeah it's making everyone miserable so maybe a time to step back (assuming they won't starve or something)

also, for more practical advice, tell them to find recipes (in cookbooks you have, online, whatever) that look good to them that you can make. take some of the mental workload off of yourself. that's the part that sounds like it's really taxing to you (I get it, ditto)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Do what the Indians do. We have extended families. Babies, young children, adult children, old people, and everything in between. Grandma won’t touch anything with garlic. The babbies can’t handle spicy. The kids will eat, but not if toy make the main dish too challenging with regards to spices.

Meanwhile, dad and mum just got home from work, and don’t want to be arsed to make 50 different meals for every picky pain in the rear end at the table. The main dish will be edible for everyone. Then, the adults have condiments on the side that suits them. Some like sliced onion, or raw green chilies, or a combination of the two tossed in lemon juice. There are spicy pickles at the table to lend heat and spice and salt and sour. The adults will necessarily want stronger tasting stuff that both grandma and kiddos would turn their nose up at.

There will be various super spicy powders that the adults throw over the food to “wake it up”, and they’ll not let the kids in on it until they’re old enough that their parents can tell other parents, “Don’t bother making anything separate for the kids, they can handle spice.”

At that point, it becomes a sort of informal rite of passage. You can eat the fiery pickles like the grown ups. That way, bland babby can have her blandness, lazy babby can have food that’s cooked, and everyone can easily adjust the heat as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Anne Whateley posted: