Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump had a private conversation with Erdogan where Erdogan was like "You're the best, I love you, I want you to leave Syria" and Trump was like "I want you to do this corrupt thing for me". Like, we have the "transcript" template now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

J.A.B.C. posted:

This is why he should have been tossed out Day One for emoluments.

The Kurds continuing to stick by us is better than they, or we, deserve. This sucks. Especially for indigenous training teams like this, who have lived with these folks for months getting them up to speed to help us fight.

Be safe, guys.

No one is sure, but the best guess is a mix between 1) his love for strongmen, 2) General disdain for other NATO allies telling him this is a poo poo idea, and 3) Trump Tower Istanbul.

part of me thinks he will double down on "so what if isis escapes, they will only murder the EU" type poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pkay posted:

I'm still in disbelief that this Ukraine poo poo is sticking. The way that I know its sticking is when I observe my facebook feed. Typical conservative folk are either radio silent with their poo poo tier memes or "the world is in a bad state, but don't panic" existential bullshit memes. Also their libertarian 'both sides are the problem' stuff too. It's like his distraction machine can't keep up.

It’s sticking because it’s simple. No complicated schemes, no veiled orders to underlings, no paper trail to follow. He did something that was instantly recognized as wrong and then owned up to it, daring people to choose between him and their basic sense of fairness and how American is supposed to work. And it was finally too much for them to pretend it was OK or that there was an alternate explanation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

he had a call with Erdogan shortly before he triggered this shitshow, but nobody who's talking knows the specifics of Trump's, ahem, decision making process on this one yet

it's conceivable that literally nobody actually knows and this was just Trump going "well I need a win and fast, people like presidents who end wars and bring the troops home" or something

who knows. i feel like it will get leaked at some point or more likely someone will just spill what they talked about.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1182071535864930304

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Sundae posted:

Attempting to do anything serious to combat PG&E has a long, long history of somehow becoming an issue of "Interstate Commerce" or "Freedom of Speech" (I poo poo you not) and getting shot down at SCOTUS level.

What Supreme Court case with pg&e involved interstate commerce? Just curious. I see one on federal preemption regarding nuclear power (pg&e lost), one on bankruptcy and attorneys fees (pg&e lost), and the one on the first amendment grounds that pg&e won but seems it was correctly decided (though it has a decent dissent from Rehnquist of all people arguing against expanding a company’s first amendment rights. Worth a read)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

In a sane world retreating US forces would save as many Kurds in our retreat as we can. In an even more sane world are troops would openly revolt on Trump to protect them

Is there any hope the Kurds can make it into Northern Iraq or Iran? Would they even be safe there?

This is all so cruel and stupid, and utterly meaningless

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

In a sane world retreating US forces would save as many Kurds in our retreat as we can. In an even more sane world are troops would openly revolt on Trump to protect them

Is there any hope the Kurds can make it into Northern Iraq or Iran? Would they even be safe there?

this is trumps bengazi, but way worse. more like trumps Rwanda.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TulliusCicero posted:

initial reports are that the Iraqi Kurds closed the loving border, and Syria doesn't border Iran

if we don't get our poo poo together p fast it's going to get bad

on the plus side, an unlikely hero emerges: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...bF3p1D_&ampcf=1

Iran's telling Turkey to knock it off

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

he had a call with Erdogan shortly before he triggered this shitshow, but nobody who's talking knows the specifics of Trump's, ahem, decision making process on this one yet

it's conceivable that literally nobody actually knows and this was just Trump going "well I need a win and fast, people like presidents who end wars and bring the troops home" or something
Probably politically unviable, but there should be a subpoena for the record of that call. If genocide of the Kurds appears to be the pro quo for some currently-unknown quid, then that would be a plausible fault line along which the Republican ranks could be split.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm sure he's just trolling the libs!

:rolling-eyes-so-hard-they-fall-out-of-my-head-and-roll-under-the-sofa:

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

TulliusCicero posted:

Jesuits are legit cool progressive dudes and nuns for the most part

I worked at a private Jesuit school for a year, and even as a pretty staunch atheist, they really gave me faith (pun intended) in religious establishments. There was even a boy in the final year of high school who came out as trans (keep in mind this was an all-boys school), and the principal held an all staff meeting saying "This is happening, we're going to support this girl and anyone who has a problem with that can speak to me directly and I'll tell you why we're going to make sure her final year of high school is as good as it can possibly be".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SubG posted:

Probably politically unviable, but there should be a subpoena for the record of that call. If genocide of the Kurds appears to be the pro quo for some currently-unknown quid, then that would be a plausible fault line along which the Republican ranks could be split.

I absolutely 100% want them to add that call to the list of document requests

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Even Rudy has numbers...

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1182074856923418624

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think his handlers realize their time is coming to an end and are calling in their favours.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this is trumps bengazi, but way worse. more like trumps Rwanda.

the conclusion of the actual bipartisan investigation into Benghazi was "nobody really hosed up, it was just an awful tragedy, here are some recommendations on how to fix the flaws it exposed"

this is not that, unless you count the main flaw as Donald Trump being president

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Still coming out ahead on favorability :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

pacerhimself posted:

I think his handlers realize their time is coming to an end and are calling in their favours.

I mean yeah this is my bet, we just don't know any details yet

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The area I grew up had Jesuit priests and not being christian they were always pretty nice to talk with and rather open minded

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I legit don't even know what to say. I've seen documentaries and footage of the Fall of Saigon and holy poo poo is this situation reminding me of that.

Those people deserves so much better. I really feel nothing but shame and contempt right now for this shithole of a country tun by a falsely elected Geriatric senile goblin :smith:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1182075837962690560

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Not like it's gonna mean anything after he survived the Access Hollywood tape, but still..

https://twitter.com/courtneyknorris/status/1181951191355449346?s=19

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Trump is trying to pull the whole “you can’t get rid of me! I’m bringing the troops home!” bit. He’s hoping it’ll be enough to stave off impeachment in some way so that he can try to win in 2020.

Democrats need to run ads and messages about how much of a loyal ally the Kurds are and us abandoning them literally just makes ISIS better and that we will most likely see an attack from them in the near future. Make it look like Trump is putting Americans at risk for the sake of his personal image.

In my own anecdote, I know amongst my conservative friends that they are trying to distance themselves from supporting Trump. There used to be a lot of memes and posts of him but it’s dwindled down to lame generic family pictures doing boring family stuff or their dumb hobbies.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SchrodingersCat posted:

This is toothless because Trump will just veto anything that passes, and they know it. This is just so the GOP can try to convince people that they are not feckless usurers beholden to foreign powers.

Who besides Ron Paul would vote against? I would expect this to pass with a huge veto proof majority.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

god what a loving insincere rear end in a top hat.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Trump is trying to pull the whole “you can’t get rid of me! I’m bringing the troops home!” bit. He’s hoping it’ll be enough to stave off impeachment in some way so that he can try to win in 2020.

Democrats need to run ads and messages about how much of a loyal ally the Kurds are and us abandoning them literally just makes ISIS better and that we will most likely see an attack from them in the near future. Make it look like Trump is putting Americans at risk for the sake of his personal image.

In my own anecdote, I know amongst my conservative friends that they are trying to distance themselves from supporting Trump. There used to be a lot of memes and posts of him but it’s dwindled down to lame generic family pictures doing boring family stuff or their dumb hobbies.

its not gonna work anyway. if he did this with afganastan, it might have gone over better but all he did was screw the kurds and piss off a ton of people he shouldnt have. also mostly same least with conservatives i know outside one or two.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

But put these people in a voting booth, and what lever do they pull at the end of the day? Is abortion enough to override any societal good?

Does the calculus change if the Democratic party actually goes full DemSoc in a way that significantly improves the amount of good they do for the poor and downtrodden, instead of paying it lipservice while mostly maintaining the status quo?

It's tough to say, but I would hope so. I know a lot of young Evangelicals and Catholics who are much more driven by social justice than their parents ever were, and that gives me a lot of hope. They don't approve of abortion, but they approve even less of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, wealth inequality, etc, and they certainly recognize Trump for the self-worshiping devotee of Mammon that he is. Most of them turned out for Obama, and most of them were disappointed in him on the "correct" issues.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i like how 'signing' letters is the hard part

autographing the coffins or meeting the gold star families for photo ops is pretty great, apparently

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Niwrad posted:

Has there been any idea why Trump made the move to abandon the Kurds? Personal business? Help with the campaign?

There's no good analysis I am aware of, but it sure seems like a mix of the following:

1) He's dumb as poo poo
2) Audiences cheered at him when he said he'd end the foreverwars in the middle east, causing him to want that too
3) He cannot tell the difference between "spend a trillion dollars invading a country on false pretenses, destabilize it, and create an endless quagmire" and "leave some troops sitting on their asses at a relative pittance to prevent a genocide" (see Number 1)
4) He is too stupid, incompetent, and Dunning Krugered to consult and understand advisors who would have told him this is a horrific idea
5) The idea of brown people far away getting genocided does not bother him at. all.
6) The idea of betrayal being a horrific thing simply does not compute to him. See: Cheating on his wives, stabbing his political allies in the back, not paying people who did good work for him, screaming at his son for wearing a baseball uniform, etc.

EDIT: Oh, right, and the idea of maintaining American values like Democracy has never, for one second, sincerely been entertained by his brain.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 10, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Niwrad posted:

Has there been any idea why Trump made the move to abandon the Kurds? Personal business? Help with the campaign?

Russia and Turkey sitting in a tree, C-o-n-s-p-i-r-a-c-y

Seriously, between this and ending the Open Skies treaty...

The main beneficiary of Trumps geopolitical moves is almost always Russia

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

SubG posted:

It isn't (or shouldn't be) "politically unviable", it is 1000% in the powers and authority of the Congress of the United States to demand information on anything they loving well please and until or unless Trump gets US v Nixon thrown out, not even the executive can say no legally.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ryde posted:

Nixon's support collapsed when the polls hit 57% if I remember correctly. I hope that holds for Trump, but the support and the electoral map is probably different enough that it's not a sure bet.

You're thinking of the gay marriage cartoon.

The pro impeachment support never rose this high against Nixon. I don't think it even cracked 40% before he resigned.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don’t even think that Trump got anything from Turkey. I bet it’s as simple as Erdogan told him they were invading and he dared Trump to stand up to him.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"But it's not like I'd vote for a DIMocrap!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don’t even think that Trump got anything from Turkey. I bet it’s as simple as Erdogan told him they were invading and he dared Trump to stand up to him.

possibly. i think erdogan called and suggested it and trump said "sure whatever" and erdogan mentioned the towers or maybe even "lol gently caress europe". i just can't wait for trump doubling down on "gently caress europe" when the ISIS assholes all break lose like its loving blackgate prison.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He told Trump he was relieving US forces and that Trump would get a huge bump in the polls for bringing troops home.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, that seems to be what happen. Trump got "rolled" and "has no spine" according to someone with direct knowledge of the call.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Niwrad posted:

Alongside the stuff others have said, there is suspicion about Trump Towers Istanbul. Aydin Dogan (the main developer and owner locally) has been trying to distance the name from Trump, and there's a possibility Erdogan promised to keep the Trump name on somehow or do something else related to the property if Trump got out of the way.

We won't know without a transcript of that call.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I don't know guys I think it was a bad idea putting this guy in charge of anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Im willing to bet Putin told him how to say it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Alongside the stuff others have said, there is suspicion about Trump Towers Istanbul. Aydin Dogan (the main developer and owner locally) has been trying to distance the name from Trump, and there's a possibility Erdogan promised to keep the Trump name on somehow or do something else related to the property if Trump got out of the way.

We won't know without a transcript of that call.

think we will get a transcript?