Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Play an oath of the crown paladin sworn to a lord, flavour your magic as battle tactics and pick options that make it easy to do so. Have your LoH pool be your rally pool or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Really, Tome of Battle should be ported to 5th. Change my mind. :colbert:

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

This homebrew does battlemaster maneuvers rolled into any martial class and theres a free version which gives a workable version to check out. We use it as I put it together for our game.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/230244

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

It hasn't been? Seriously? It's been five years.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

DJ Dizzy posted:

5E could really use a 5.5 edition, or at least a PHB 2 with some new compatible classes and experimental mechanics. Tome of Battle would have to be so reworked that it might as well be the UA Truenamer in terms of not actually being different.

Warblade instead of Fighter, Crusader instead of Paladin, Swordsage instead of Monk would be rad, and maybe Soulknife instead of Ranger, Shadowdancer/spell sniper instead of Rogue, Dragon Shaman (expand it to other heritages) for Barbarian

Warlord instead of Bard, Artificer instead of Wizard, Summoner instead of Druid, Psion instead of Sorceror, Necromancer instead of Warlock and Runepriests for Clerics.

Just really go nuts on different at-will/short rest/long rest power paradigms.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Playing a conquestadin and planning to dip 1 hexblade. I’m the sole tank as my teammates are an arcane trickster rogue, sorcerer, and hexblade warlock (she’s kind of a tank, but with 15 ac and 12 con, I think I will fast become the party’s favored enemy target as we level up). Given my party’s lack of healing, what spread do you guys think is right? 7 pal for paralyze aura, 1 hex, divine soul x? 9/1/x to hit fear and revivify at pal 9 instead of having to wait for divine soul 5 at level 13? If not for me, I’m not sure we’ll have a method to actually revive a dead pc. I have sentinel and warcaster so I can eventually OA booming blade to shut down weak enemies going after squishies, use reaction attacks to punish attacks on adjacent teammates, and shut down movement speed as needed (as a sentinel 0 movement speed attack instead of OA booming blade). Only level 5 right now.

I’m having a hard time justifying continuing past 7-9 on paladin but maybe I’m missing something. Pls convince me to stick with warlock instead of divine soul.

Dm is very laid back on my multiclassing as long as I have some backstory reasoning (which as a conquest paladin is, for me, the relentless pursuit of combat power whether that be from strength at arms or spellcasting).

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 8, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Cretin90 posted:

Playing a conquestadin and planning to dip 1 hexblade. I’m the sole tank as my teammates are an arcane trickster rogue, sorcerer, and hexblade warlock (she’s kind of a tank, but with 15 ac and 12 con, I think I will fast become the party’s favored enemy target as we level up). Given my party’s lack of healing, what spread do you guys think is right? 7 pal for paralyze aura, 1 hex, divine soul x? 9/1/x to hit fear and revivify at pal 9 instead of having to wait for divine soul 5 at level 13? If not for me, I’m not sure we’ll have a method to actually revive a dead pc. I have sentinel and warcaster so I can eventually OA booming blade to shut down weak enemies going after squishies, use reaction attacks to punish attacks on adjacent teammates, and shut down movement speed as needed (as a sentinel 0 movement speed attack instead of OA booming blade). Only level 5 right now.

I’m having a hard time justifying continuing past 7-9 on paladin but maybe I’m missing something. Pls convince me to stick with warlock instead of divine soul.

Dm is very laid back on my multiclassing as long as I have some backstory reasoning (which as a conquest paladin is, for me, the relentless pursuit of combat power whether that be from strength at arms or spellcasting).

Paladin X / Hexblade 1. The combo you want is Polearm Master + War Caster, not Sentinel + War Caster. It works better on Vengeance but Conquest isn't bad.

Paladin 11 gives you a 1d8 buff on each of your weapon attacks, so it's worth sticking to it after your dip (and then 12 for the next ASI, and then 13 for 4th level spells like Death Ward and Greater Steed). You could also grab a 2nd Hexblade level for Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast and an additional short rest slot, but I'd recommend against any further multiclassing.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

Paladin X / Hexblade 1. The combo you want is Polearm Master + War Caster, not Sentinel + War Caster. It works better on Vengeance but Conquest isn't bad.

Paladin 11 gives you a 1d8 buff on each of your weapon attacks, so it's worth sticking to it after your dip (and then 12 for the next ASI, and then 13 for 4th level spells like Death Ward and Greater Steed). You could also grab a 2nd Hexblade level for Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast and an additional short rest slot, but I'd recommend against any further multiclassing.

Thanks for the tips. I’m not interested in PAM as I intend to roll with one of the D8 martials, and do not like the idea of one handed PAM (via spear/qstaff) but would you have a recommendation for another useful 1st level feat that helps my team survive? Lucky would be my selfish choice, Inspiring Leader would be my less-selfish choice. This would be replacing Sentinel, as it feels much less useful to me after discovering that opportunity attacks use your Reaction. (I thought I could get an OA AND a reaction in the same turn!) I imagine that warcaster with booming blade or agonizing blast will give me plenty to do with OAs.

And I see you’ve discounted the sorcerer multiclass choice. It interested me as a way to add utility and damage (shield and absorb elements, quickened damage spells or heal spells as bonus action, movement spells, etc), but I take it it compromises too much on the paladin side of this particular role?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

3-way multiclassing spreads you too thin.

Resilient (Constitution) and Inspiring Leader are both good feat alternatives.

War Caster is a pick primarily so you can cast Shield while having both your hands busy. Without PAM you'll actually have few opportunities to get reaction attacks in, as enemies will rarely move away from you.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, I'd say Paladin up to level 6 or 7, then one level in Hexblade Warlock, and then into Sorcerer is far from spreading yourself thin since you put single level in Hexblade.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I really doubt they'll do anything approaching Tome of Battle, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

After watching version after version of the playtest slowly squeeze everything cool from martials, for them to spin around and go "also, here are martials with a bunch of cool options" seems pretty far fetched. I mean, the classes all have recharge mechanics, and this edition turned short rests into a full hour. But, hell, if they busted out a reasonably faithful Book O' Swords, I'd probably be super into it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ramos posted:

Eh, I'd say Paladin up to level 6 or 7, then one level in Hexblade Warlock, and then into Sorcerer is far from spreading yourself thin since you put single level in Hexblade.

You wouldn't get 3rd level spells until level 13.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Gharbad the Weak posted:

After watching version after version of the playtest slowly squeeze everything cool from martials

Yeah even reading some of the feats is painful.

quote:

Charger

When you use your action to Dash, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or to shove a creature.

If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line immediately before taking this bonus action, you either gain a +5 bonus to the attack’s damage roll (if you chose to make a melee attack and hit) or push the target up to 10 feet away from you (if you chose to shove and you succeed).

This could have been a really fun option if they just said “When you dash you can do these cool things” without requiring you to use an action and a bonus action.

nelson fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 9, 2019

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Crumbletron posted:

Play an oath of the crown paladin sworn to a lord, flavour your magic as battle tactics and pick options that make it easy to do so. Have your LoH pool be your rally pool or whatever.

My conqueror Paladin's "Lay on Hands" was a slap across the face while yelling "get yourself together and get back in there god drat it"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I really doubt they'll do anything approaching Tome of Battle, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

After watching version after version of the playtest slowly squeeze everything cool from martials, for them to spin around and go "also, here are martials with a bunch of cool options" seems pretty far fetched. I mean, the classes all have recharge mechanics, and this edition turned short rests into a full hour. But, hell, if they busted out a reasonably faithful Book O' Swords, I'd probably be super into it.

I personally have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they won't.
5e is a huge gently caress you to the idea of doing cool and fantastical things if you don't have a spell book equivalent.
I was thinking of references for cool things to do with martial classes and realized that 5e Fighter would be perfect for playing as Guts from Berserk. Everything sucks, you can't accomplish anything with your own power.

And that is why I'm glad no one picked fighter or Ranger in my current campaign. It'd be way more work for me as a DM to try and keep them on par with the others.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is a good time to ask, neophyte DM with a Fighter in his party. He's only level 2 and already itching to find weapons on literally every enemy we kill. What can I do to keep the guy happy as he levels through Descent into Avernus?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Nasgate posted:

I personally have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they won't.
5e is a huge gently caress you to the idea of doing cool and fantastical things if you don't have a spell book equivalent.
I was thinking of references for cool things to do with martial classes and realized that 5e Fighter would be perfect for playing as Guts from Berserk. Everything sucks, you can't accomplish anything with your own power.

And that is why I'm glad no one picked fighter or Ranger in my current campaign. It'd be way more work for me as a DM to try and keep them on par with the others.

My DM gave my human BattleMaster a dwarven thrower and I was basically an unstoppable powerhouse at level 11.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

That is a good time to ask, neophyte DM with a Fighter in his party. He's only level 2 and already itching to find weapons on literally every enemy we kill. What can I do to keep the guy happy as he levels through Descent into Avernus?

Give him weapons to find. Then he will realize that they are all the same and don’t matter and will stop looting every body like it’s an MMO.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

Give him weapons to find. Make them cool demon weapons that only a mighty warrior like himself can attune to, with cool powers and magical abilities. Make a bunch of them non-combat benefits, like gauntlets of mage hand. Also armour. Give him a bunch of extra attunement slots too.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Pussy Quipped posted:

Give him weapons to find. Then he will realize that they are all the same and don’t matter and will stop looting every body like it’s an MMO.
This is bad advice because the point of this game is to have fun with friends, not to tell him he's playing the game the wrong way

If the guy wants weapons, give him weird-rear end demon weapons - whips made of teeth, skull maces, shoddily-crafted black iron swords that exude foul-smelling muck, enchanted mancatchers that yell excitedly when they catch something, nets made entirely of eyeballs, they don't have to have plusses or be brokenly strong in combat to be thematically cool. Just pick something on the damage chart that's roughly what you want and say that's what damage it does

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bhodi posted:

enchanted mancatchers that yell excitedly when they catch something
There is an excited man catcher shaped hole in my life that I didn't know was there

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Splicer posted:

Give him weapons to find. Make them cool demon weapons that only a mighty warrior like himself can attune to, with cool powers and magical abilities. Make a bunch of them non-combat benefits, like gauntlets of mage hand. Also armour. Give him a bunch of extra attunement slots too.

Didn't one of the early editions do something like that to explain why you'd play someone whose entire thing hitting well?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pussy Quipped posted:

I accidentally did that by not having magic weapons prepared for the first warm-up Dungeon in the campaign, and it sucks. He's not having fun and I'm not having fun with that approach. It hasn't stopped him from looking nor me from wanting to come up with something to make him have fun.

Splicer posted:

Weapons, armor, and attunement slots. Ok that makes sense I knew I couldn't just throw a magic gimmick weapon at him and call it a day.

Bhodi posted:

This is bad advice because the point of this game is to have fun with friends, not to tell him he's playing the game the wrong way

If the guy wants weapons, give him weird-rear end demon weapons - whips made of teeth, skull maces, shoddily-crafted black iron swords that exude foul-smelling muck, enchanted mancatchers that yell excitedly when they catch something, nets made entirely of eyeballs, they don't have to have plusses or be brokenly strong in combat to be thematically cool. Just pick something on the damage chart that's roughly what you want and say that's what damage it does
That's good thinking. We do use DnDBeyond so I'll have to work out how to add custom equipment and the like, but thank you very much.

He's playing a halfling Zapp Brannigan-type who was cursed by a cult wizard, but he left the curse for me to create. I've decided that the curse was a half-sale of his body to a devil, so as we get closer to Avernus his skeleton is going to start acting with a life of its own and he's going to have to find the exact Devil and negotiate with him if he wants to remove the curse. I've also decided to give him a sidequest in Avernus for magical items that allegedly remove the curse, but in doing so turn him into a walking skeleton, and dovetail how he approaches said items with the Devil plot to find something hopefully satisfying.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bhodi posted:

http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php

Flavor it with stuff from here. Weak magical effects, many of which are purely flavorful or out of combat. Makes it easy to hand out gear without +1'ing too early. If you accidentally give them something too powerful, just break it. They're demon weapons, would be perfectly valid for the weapon to be annoyed at being used by a do gooder and try to revolt/escape.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xanthan posted:

Didn't one of the early editions do something like that to explain why you'd play someone whose entire thing hitting well?
There were a pile of magic equipment types that only fighters could use, so your wizard would have like a robe and a staff while your fighter could be more magic item than man

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

A bone flail or living evil mace etc sound super cool but I feel like my party is too good/nice to even use something like that (or they’d be insanely suspicious). One of the first magic items they found was a silver tongue you could shove in your mouth that would give you +1 to persuasion and it’s still sitting in someone’s bag.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nephzinho posted:

http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php

Flavor it with stuff from here. Weak magical effects, many of which are purely flavorful or out of combat. Makes it easy to hand out gear without +1'ing too early. If you accidentally give them something too powerful, just break it. They're demon weapons, would be perfectly valid for the weapon to be annoyed at being used by a do gooder and try to revolt/escape.
2: Indifferent Scepter of Compassion
Weapon (Mace), uncommon (requires attunement)

The bearer no longer feels emotions. They have immunity to fear effects but disadvantage on Insight and Performance checks, and cannot Rage.

Wounds inflicted with this weapon cause no pain.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

A bone flail or living evil mace etc sound super cool but I feel like my party is too good/nice to even use something like that (or they’d be insanely suspicious). One of the first magic items they found was a silver tongue you could shove in your mouth that would give you +1 to persuasion and it’s still sitting in someone’s bag.
Doing a body horror to gain +1 to a skill seems uh.... Not good

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

change my name posted:

To be fair, a random magical tongue you find laying around some dungeon or wizard's lab has got to be really gross. You don't know where that thing's been or who has stuck it in their mouth.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

change my name posted:

They found no silver tongue:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mind the walrus posted:

They found no silver tongue:

Oh, maybe this *is* where I stole it from

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Another fun concept if you're afraid of giving too powerful weapons is to give them a bunch of weapons and have them get bonuses for constantly switching weapons around.

It'd be fun to play as imo. Hit one dude, yeet that weapon into someone else's chest and pull out another weapon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Another fun concept if you're afraid of giving too powerful weapons is to give them a bunch of weapons and have them get bonuses for constantly switching weapons around.

It'd be fun to play as imo. Hit one dude, yeet that weapon into someone else's chest and pull out another weapon.

The Gilgamesh approach is always good.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nasgate posted:

this should be an actual fighter build/spec

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Iaido is a thing. You could make it be something fairly simple like "you can have a level-based number of weapons readied. When your hands are free, you can use a single action to equip a readied weapon and attack with it, gaining a level-based damage bonus on the attack."

The big problem I see is that it devolves into "Fighter, but they have a bonus for the first few attacks they make in each fight, and have to run around picking up dropped weapons at the end." Unless you give them a lot of magic weapons with charge-based powers, but ideally classes should work regardless of the campaign they're in.

The "big guy with a dozen weapons strapped to him" aesthetic is great though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

The FFG Star Wars Bounty Hunter 100% needs to be in this game yeah. Just let them make attacks equal to every weapon they are carrying imo. I guess that would only work if the Encumbrance system wasn't garbage that most groups ditch though otherwise it would be a fun combat effectiveness vs treasure carrying mechanic.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Let Fighters draw and stow an unlimited amount of items as a free action every turn.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Let Fighters draw and stow an unlimited amount of items as a free action every turn.

Archetype name: Archer

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Are there any good and widely accepted versions of either (a) the 4e Warlock or some other really simple blaster mage or (b) third party/homebrew Book of Nine Swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

doctor 7 posted:

My conqueror Paladin's "Lay on Hands" was a slap across the face while yelling "get yourself together and get back in there god drat it"