Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

Wait so have they completely given up on that being in canon now?

By 2024 Disney will own all media as well as most human life, so every Marvel hero will also get a chance to be Batman too.

The question is, what is canon now in the DC5GU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

vseslav.botkin posted:

I think they've said it's actually part two of a planned trilogy (part 1 being JOKER).

Ooooooh! I liked the Joker one. That’s not very popular though is it?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked that the Joker one-shot is effectively about the henchman realizing that being mentally ill does not mean he's like the Joker, and that just because the Joker does crazy sounding stuff does not mean that he is mentally ill.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hate how Bendis wrote Damien in Superman. jeeze.

Otoh, Ellis's new Batman mini is out an it has this exchange

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Living in the same city as the richest man in the world and talks about how space travel is the best way spend his money while there's a massive homeless crisis happening in that same city really puts me off Batman's bullshit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xelkelvos posted:

The first page has you nodding and the second has you going no, nope, no

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Maybe it's a good thing that Bane killed Alfred after all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

I hate how Bendis wrote [...] Superman. jeeze.

I can't believe that somehow Batman turned out to be a better parent than Superman.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Mr Hootington posted:

The first page has you nodding and the second has you going no, nope, no

So Alfred isn't so much worried that Bruce is punching the poor and mentally ill as he is upset that he doesn't go far enough and just kill them all. Got it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

The first page is what I'm hoping would be the main focus of Fox's Batman, yeesh to that second page. Then again Gotham has always been written as this gaping hell mouth from where small things of hope spring up only to be dipped in chemicals, go crazy, actually meet the devil, be murdered.....etc etc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a fan, either. It was really weird since he was much more in character in Event Leviathan. I guess you could argue that his usual snotty, buttoned-down character is how he acts around Batman, and he's letting loose with Jon, but eh, I don't really think that's the case.

I did enjoy the idea behind it, and it's nice to see them just hanging out and doing poo poo, but the dialog was pretty bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a fan, either. It was really weird since he was much more in character in Event Leviathan. I guess you could argue that his usual snotty, buttoned-down character is how he acts around Batman, and he's letting loose with Jon, but eh, I don't really think that's the case.

I did enjoy the idea behind it, and it's nice to see them just hanging out and doing poo poo, but the dialog was pretty bad.

Most of the previous characterizations is done in Supersons where Damien still acts like a bit of a know-it-all and overconfident as he tries to one up his best friend. Any vulnerability his shows is small, guarded moments that sometimes he doesn't quite expect, but will immediately seal off if he doesn't feel in control. Sorta like his dad. And in both their cases, there's a Kryptonian who knows this, accepts this, and is always ready to accept their carefully guarded worries. One of the other things that I see writers (I think it's mostly Bendis) mess up on with Damien's previous characterization is that while he is a kid, he shouldn't basically act like it in most regards. He should be snarky and combative and otherwise bratty, but his speech is mature and adult in addition to whatever egoism or standoffishness he has. Basically imagine if Batman became a child and what he'd say and that'd be about 60 to 75% of the way to Damien.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've only read Morrison's Batman and Son so far, but I adore the way Damien is written in that. He has the same level of attitude as a cat if a cat was a human and could talk and was a ninja.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His ongoing series was a lot of fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

chaosapiant posted:

I've only read Morrison's Batman and Son so far, but I adore the way Damien is written in that. He has the same level of attitude as a cat if a cat was a human and could talk and was a ninja.

Damian’s cat is actually really well behaved. He’s named after Alfred as a sort of passive aggressive jab.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Damian has a cat named Alfred?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Keep reading Morrison’s Batman! Damian is a great character.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Damian is legit cool, but he is a much better character when he is playing off Dickbats.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Tackling poverty shouldn't be the main thing a black batman focuses on because associating black people with poverty is sort of hosed up. Just Bruce Batman should be fighting things like that already but nobody is really writing street level stories for him right now and Batman beats up poor people is a popular take.

Since this takes place in the established DC universe, it takes some of the bite out of Batman being black. If it was a black Bruce Wayne and his origin of becoming Batman then that would be interesting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

His ongoing series was a lot of fun.

I miss Goliath.

One of the things that makes Damien distinct is that he basically loves and recruits all of the animals. The cow, the dog, the cat, Goliath. All Damien

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I kind of enjoyed Damian leading the Titans for a hot minute.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tomasi and Gleeson's Batman and Robin is also really good when it has to unfortunately bring Bruce back as Batman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s amazing how viscerally people reacted to Damian. Almost everyone has come around on him being a good character. Some people still can’t accept that it’s ok to like a character that’s kind of a jerk.

The best thing is the way he bounces off of more noble characters. He has a unique relationship with all the Bat family, and his interactions with the Superman family are always memorable.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Has there ever been a story where Redhood has to reign in Damians psycho murder instincts because even he is like “whoa dude you gotta chill the gently caress out!” If not there should be.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Has there ever been a story where Redhood has to reign in Damians psycho murder instincts because even he is like “whoa dude you gotta chill the gently caress out!” If not there should be.

I’m just going to answer all your posts with “Keep reading Grant Morrison’s Batman.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Some people still can’t accept that it’s ok to like a character that’s kind of a jerk.

Guy gets such a bad rap.

EDIT: I just got a suggested Youtube video about Guy and it opens with the dude saying "I HATE GUY GARDNER"

like, the gently caress man.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 15, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The trick with writing a character that's a jerk is to quickly make sure that they're endearing in some way. Without a reason for the audience to care about them like they do other characters who are less abrasive, they'll quickly become grating and unfavorable.

Edit: Jimmy Olsen is still good though if does pull some meta jokes and references if you're into them. Flash Forward otoh, is still bad.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 16, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
superman smashes the klan is definitely worth a read

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Man I love it when the Bat Family all get together to get their asses beat and show how awesome the bad guy is.

King's Batman is so frustrating.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Mostly I'm trying to figure out how the "Joker is Clayface" twist is supposed to work. They already established that Psycho Pirate is controlling all of the other villains to work for/obey Bane, so the fact that Psycho Pirate brainwashed Clayface not Joker means what, exactly?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The real Jokers are still out there!

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Also, "Punching Tim was actually secret code that told the Bat Family what to do" is :pwn:

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I bounced on that somewhere during the War of Jokes and Riddles and y'all do a great job of convincing me I made the right choice.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

It was just fantastic, and Gurihiru are perfect for it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
First Tales of the Dark Multiverse is out. I never followed much about post-Knightfall because I didn't care about Batman who wasn't Bruce Wayne and I had no idea who Azrael was even at the time. It's funny that they have their own Uatu the Watcher, as if there was any doubt they were ripping off What If? wholesale. Didn't expect the bad twist ending, but I now that I think of it that's how I should expect Dark Multiverse one-shots to end. "No hope" and all that.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I know most folks don't give a poo poo because of the people involved but man Flash Forward #2 had probably the biggest cliffhanger it could toss at us.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduchess posted:

It was just fantastic, and Gurihiru are perfect for it.

:hmmyes:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I know most folks don't give a poo poo because of the people involved but man Flash Forward #2 had probably the biggest cliffhanger it could toss at us.
I did suspect something like it would happen at some point, though not quite this early. Hopefully those...statues? Monuments?...mean something as well, retcon-wise.

Unfortunately the rest of the book is still...difficult to experience. Just Brett Booth at the very most BrettBoothiest that Brett Booth has ever BrettBooth'd.

site posted:

Yeah, I insta-bought this one.

One of the great parts of the book is that, although it's primarily concerned with persecution towards Chinese-Americans, there was also a moment where the nice, educated, forward-thinking Chinese dad also showed a ton of racism towards a group of black men who were just there to help. There's a lot of nuance here for a book with a very straightforward intent.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Two Tone Shoes posted:

What happens because I am not getting the book unless said spoilers heavily change things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

MonsterEnvy posted:

What happens because I am not getting the book unless said spoilers heavily change things.

Iris and Jai being in the dark multiverse reflection of Wally's nightmares, which holds monuments of all the people he killed. A likely idea that Wally might bring them back somehow, kids and dead HiC folks.