Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/LZRS_87/status/1182032055024128001?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[david bowiely]

pig american

pig american

ore wa pig american

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hi FAK

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hi Regy Rusty, how are you doing tonight?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi Regy Rusty, how are you doing tonight?

I'm unbelievably bored. I tried using this lull to see if I could get myself to push through the Monster Hunter World Iceborne postgame to the unique fights it still has to offer but it's just so dull it's worse than sitting here not doing anything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh huh, had no idea!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am watching videos online and reading one of the world of darkness books. Do you have any books or know of any vids you think you could read/watch to entertain yourself with?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jay Rust posted:

I’m no fancy big-city lawyer, but Blizzard really should’ve just shrugged their shoulders when that guy said that thing, boy

China is Streisand Effect, The Country

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just want to play Gran Turismo Sport tonight, but PSN is down and the PS4 7.0 update won't download. :sigh:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Rubberhose animation question

I see a lot of people getting really mad that Enchanted Wands or whatever emulates it with flash and "that should never be done" like a shocking amount, but isn't Steven Universe all Flash too? And they just introduced a Rubberhose character that everyone really loves?

I get that there's a difference as EW uses a lot of tweening and simple animations but the "no flash bad" strikes me as odd unless I'm horribly mistaken on SU

It's like making a game that tries to be 1:1 to Super Mario World but then loving up the jumping physics

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ometeotl posted:

It's like making a game that tries to be 1:1 to Super Mario World but then loving up the jumping physics

ah, so Giana Sisters then.

I'm gonna buy the not-cuphead if it ever comes out though, cuphead is good and more of it is good too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I beat Code Vein. Good game

Indivisible is next

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm unbelievably bored. I tried using this lull to see if I could get myself to push through the Monster Hunter World Iceborne postgame to the unique fights it still has to offer but it's just so dull it's worse than sitting here not doing anything.

drat is Iceborne bad? I've avoided pretty much all info bc I know I'm gonna get it regardless

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

drat is Iceborne bad? I've avoided pretty much all info bc I know I'm gonna get it regardless
friends of mine continue to go nuts about it so I don't think so? but maybe it's just not clicking for everyone.

I really hope they don't do the same poo poo they did with MHW with staggered releases on PC so it's months behind but I know they will

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I beat Code Vein. Good game

Indivisible is next

I think I'm gonna get Weeb Souls when I finish Darksiders. My buddy said it's a pretty solid game.

I'm mad, though, because he made a tiger-dude character. Some years ago, he ran a homebrew tabletop mini campaign using the Fate system. It was all about supernatural creatures working for The Man (the government) and solving mysterious problems. I rolled a weretiger detective who had been sorta pressganged into doing the work because The Man found out he was harboring another were-creature. It was his lover, a lady weretiger from France. His relationship with her was an Aspect for the character.

My buddy nixed my character with extreme prejudice because I called the Aspect "Cherie Khan"

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

friends of mine continue to go nuts about it so I don't think so? but maybe it's just not clicking for everyone.

I really hope they don't do the same poo poo they did with MHW with staggered releases on PC so it's months behind but I know they will

I'm still mad at Capcom for pulling a Rockstar

That's right. I'm angry at things. I'm a Gamer.

singateco fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 10, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Skypie posted:

I think I'm gonna get Weeb Souls when I finish Darksiders. My buddy said it's a pretty solid game.

I'm mad, though, because he made a tiger-dude character. Some years ago, he ran a homebrew tabletop mini campaign using the Fate system. It was all about supernatural creatures working for The Man (the government) and solving mysterious problems. I rolled a weretiger detective who had been sorta pressganged into doing the work because The Man found out he was harboring another were-creature. It was his lover, a lady weretiger from France. His relationship with her was an Aspect for the character.

My buddy nixed my character with extreme prejudice because I called the Aspect "Cherie Khan"

I don't understand this story

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I thought I was on the final boss of Code Vein but it turns out to have one final form

the penultimate boss (unless there's a surprise final final form) was really good though and should be used as a model for multi-phase bosses in action games. All the things I'm about the praise it for are done by tons of other bosses in tons of other games, but I just fought this one so it's fresh in my mind

Basically, remember how I was complaining about bosses that change their rhythm in multi-phase fights? I didn't say it but I was thinking that there's basically no reason bosses in these games should ever have multiple phases--just tune a single phase to the difficulty you want and use your leftover ideas in other bosses. But this fight reminded me of one way you can make multi-phase bosses really work. This boss has five phases, and as it progresses through them his combos get longer, he does more damage, his hitboxes get bigger, and his attacks get meatier (functionally reducing the window of safe dodges) but the big difference is that everything in every phase uses fundamentally the same timing. In other words, there's some options that are safe in phase one but not phase five--counterattacking right after the boss jumps, or dodging leftwards when the boss does a leftward swing. But if something is safe in phase five, it's safe in phase one, without exception. So each successive phase closes off options and makes everything harder, but you aren't learning multiple fights. You don't have to remember five ways of fighting him, one for each phase. You just fight him as if it's the farthest phase you've reached, and only hold one fight in your memory. So the fight eases you into the tight timing and restricted options gradually.

I think that's really cool and should be the model for multi-phase bosses in many games

The best multi phase boss is in HeroCore since the boss gets weaker as phases change.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't understand this story

I made a goofy tiger pun for a tabletop RPG character and my pun-hating friend made me roll a new character over it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

In Training posted:

If you are a fan of MonHu I'm not sure what's not to like. All the additions I've seen so far are nothing but positive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Rubberhose animation question

I see a lot of people getting really mad that Enchanted Wands or whatever emulates it with flash and "that should never be done" like a shocking amount, but isn't Steven Universe all Flash too? And they just introduced a Rubberhose character that everyone really loves?

I get that there's a difference as EW uses a lot of tweening and simple animations but the "no flash bad" strikes me as odd unless I'm horribly mistaken on SU

I think people use 'flash' as a shorthand to write things off in ways that isn't fair, yes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's not copying Steven Universe, it's copying Cuphead.

Lmao way to COMPLETELY miss the point ThisIsACoolGuy was making. They weren't talking about copying. They were talking about animation styles. Try to be a bit more open minded?

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Also: By using terms like "CRIMINALS" and "JAILED" you're kind of exaggerating in a silly way that makes it hard to take your arguments seriously. This may contribute to why people tend to write you off as arguing in bad faith.- Taking it down a notch in the future might make people more willing to listen to you? I lurk a lot of threads and I kind of see this pattern happen a lot.

Samuringa was doing exactly that already, I was just trying to point out how extreme they were being. I was responding to a post, context is very important.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

reading one of the world of darkness books

Oooooh, which?

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy
Played through the story for RDR2 earlier this week and it was pretty decent, got sick and tired of Dutch very early into the game though so it was especially tiring near the end.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
ALLL YOU HAD TO DO WAS HAVE A LITTLE FAITH. I HAVE A PLAN...

I liked Dutchs fall from greatness into the loon he turns out to be in RDR1 but yesh he did get tiring.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Everyone talks about how great the story in RD2 is and while I agree it has really solid characters it suffers from being entirely too loving long. A lot of the stuff in it could of been truncated or expunged entirely and the game wouldn't of suffered at all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Oooooh, which?

Promethean. I've been reading through and it's just amazing how much I relate to Promethean.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Promethean. I've been reading through and it's just amazing how much I relate to Promethean.

Oh huh, not what I expected! Is that a fiction book or you mean the rulebook? Promethean definitely have a cool angle.

I love WOD and all the various supplements, I haven't played a promethean but I played a vampire in a game where a friend was a promethean, very cool character.

I've also read a few of the V:TM fiction books but not any for other factions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Promethean, Demon, and Geist are probably the best WoD books so check the others out if you havent.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I read like almost every Mage: The Awakening sourcebook

The one about Astral Realm travel was really good even from just a worldbuilding fiction perspective

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah poo poo, yeah Mage is fun too.

Basically just whatever you do dont read Changeling and absolutely 100% do not even touch a copy of Beast

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Promethean is one of those games that I can imagine how cool a good game of it would be but also haven't ever been with a group that plays in the way it would require

I ran a Delta Green game for my group the other day and it went like 5 or 6 hours and I blew out my voice a bit but it was rad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Promethean, Demon, and Geist are probably the best WoD books so check the others out if you havent.

Geist is really really cool, yeah. Underrated.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I read like almost every Mage: The Awakening sourcebook

The one about Astral Realm travel was really good even from just a worldbuilding fiction perspective

Mage is hands-down my favorite roleplaying system by a loving mile.

Everybody I play tabletop with I eventually convert to mage. I consider it to be the purest roleplaying because improvised magic is such freeform creative storytelling in a way that no other rule system ever comes close to.

I can't stand playing a wizard in D&D and I have to pick at the start of the day like, okay, I"m going to pick 2 charges of fireball and 1 charge of color blast? And then the time actually comes when a grease spell would be useful, and I'm like goddamnit I even know that spell but I don't have it prepared! (Okay, I think 5th relaxed wizard rules a little? Still, that spellcasting is way too confined)

I know, I know, grease is ALWAYS worth it. And... I think its a cantrip anyways. BUT YOU GET MY POINT!

Barudak posted:

Basically just whatever you do dont read Changeling and absolutely 100% do not even touch a copy of Beast

Also Scion is good but Demigod and God are a loving disaster

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 10, 2019

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Promethean owns but I cannot imagine actually playing it with people

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh huh, not what I expected! Is that a fiction book or you mean the rulebook? Promethean definitely have a cool angle.

I love WOD and all the various supplements, I haven't played a promethean but I played a vampire in a game where a friend was a promethean, very cool character.

I've also read a few of the V:TM fiction books but not any for other factions.

The source books mainly. Or rather, the stuff people have copied online. Not like pdfs but stuff like the fatal & friends rundowns.

Everything about Promethean is extremely me. A being of flesh given the power of life without having a soul, the entirety of reality rejecting you, feeling like you are a blight and seeing physical manifestations of the negative effects you cause just by existing, being ugly (well the galateans aren't specifically ugly but I don't identify with them so), and otherwise just feeling like a complete and utter monster whose only real options are to give up entirely or to keep trudging along on the pilgrimage in hopes of one day becoming what you can satisfyingly call a human being, something that is not inherently and objectively a broken sack of flesh given human form.

Barudak posted:

What's wrong with Changeling? I've heard that Changeling is really good albeit also very depressing in how it successfully captures the essence of being a victim of abuse. Though I've heard that old Changeling is definitely something to be avoided but I don't know why.

I know what I've read of and heard from others about Beast that it is an interesting elevator pitch applied to the concept of "what if abuse victims were deserving, what if the abusers are really just doing the right thing, and what if those who oppose abuse are the real bad guys, all while every other monster likes you because they think you're cool." Which is a shame because when I first ever heard about Beast, I thought it was going to be like "you are a boogeyman" kind of thing, a creature who must feast on fear, but not let that cause too much trouble lest you start creating dream warriors of sorts to fight you back and potentially destroy your nightmare self, so a balancing act between being the monster in the closer/under the bed/at the end of the book and needing to maintain your humanity and find "positive" ways to inflict fear like by scaring people away from dangerous places for their protection or something. I dunno.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I know what I've read of and heard from others about Beast that it is an interesting elevator pitch applied to the concept of "what if abuse victims were deserving, what if the abusers are really just doing the right thing, and what if those who oppose abuse are the real bad guys, all while every other monster likes you because they think you're cool." Which is a shame because when I first ever heard about Beast, I thought it was going to be like "you are a boogeyman" kind of thing, a creature who must feast on fear, but not let that cause too much trouble lest you start creating dream warriors of sorts to fight you back and potentially destroy your nightmare self, so a balancing act between being the monster in the closer/under the bed/at the end of the book and needing to maintain your humanity and find "positive" ways to inflict fear like by scaring people away from dangerous places for their protection or something. I dunno.

I, what?

Wow.

What exactly was the interesting part...?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

I, what?

Wow.

The key phrase was "elevator pitch"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I also remember some people saying that despite how much of a trainwreck it should have been, the geist holocaust book ended up decent

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I, what?

Wow.

Finish reading the post??

FirstAidKite posted:

Everything about Promethean is extremely me. A being of flesh given the power of life without having a soul, the entirety of reality rejecting you, feeling like you are a blight and seeing physical manifestations of the negative effects you cause just by existing, being ugly (well the galateans aren't specifically ugly but I don't identify with them so), and otherwise just feeling like a complete and utter monster whose only real options are to give up entirely or to keep trudging along on the pilgrimage in hopes of one day becoming what you can satisfyingly call a human being, something that is not inherently and objectively a broken sack of flesh given human form.

That's just a little bit concerning but I don't wanna like make a big deal out of nothing or pry so just hope you're doing well, Kite. You are not a monster.

FirstAidKite posted:

Which is a shame because when I first ever heard about Beast, I thought it was going to be like "you are a boogeyman" kind of thing, a creature who must feast on fear, but not let that cause too much trouble lest you start creating dream warriors of sorts to fight you back and potentially destroy your nightmare self, so a balancing act between being the monster in the closer/under the bed/at the end of the book and needing to maintain your humanity and find "positive" ways to inflict fear like by scaring people away from dangerous places for their protection or something. I dunno.

Yeah that sounds pretty rad. Monsters, Inc. as a roleplaying game would be something I'd try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Changeling is a game with a lot of abuse and some very odd ideas about human relationships and societies that is not always the healthiest. Old Changeling has sex magic.

Beast is a game where you play a bully, are encouraged to cause people anguish until they lash out, then murder them for standing up for themselves. In addition, despite being a monster basically every other monster in WoD would priortize murdering the hell out of they have a rule that is basically "every single other splat is your friend against their will".

Now ponder how a game like this might have been written by a guy who it was revealed to be a serial abuser/sexual harasser.