Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Winkle-Daddy posted:

oh look, the handy work of Summly, the "AI News Summarizing Product" built by some kids that Marissa gave like a billion dollars to. Working at yahoo under marissa was the fuckin worst. "guys, guys, don't you see how valuable tumblr is???"

if by “built by some kids” you mean farmed out building an application around some algorithms licensed from SRI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lysidas posted:

just get a phd from CMU's ML department
no dont

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/_julesh_/status/1177533459843207168

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
you think open sores has issues thanks to a culture of tribal knowledge and gatekeeping, then you discover people’s trash ML repos that are horribly broken out of the box

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yeah sure, a statistical model of the solar system is a pretty good predictor for eclipses. thats kindof what we've had since millennia (more or less successfully)

idgi, whats his point?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

yeah sure, a statistical model of the solar system is a pretty good predictor for eclipses. thats kindof what we've had since millennia (more or less successfully)

idgi, whats his point?

it is incredibly dumb since it is literally a curve fitting task for which machine learning is both overkill and pretty bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes but curve fitting needs math while feeding data into a neural network only needs a git clone

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The jig is up for this hip hop indian brogrammer

YouTuber charged loads of fans $199 for shoddy machine-learning course that copy-pasted other people's GitHub code
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/27/youtube_ai_star/

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Ray Phan, a senior computer-vision and deep-learning engineer at Hover, a 3D software startup based in San Francisco, told The Register that the lectures were confusing and contained mistakes. The online projects were too simplistic to be useful in the real world, and Raval was absent and unsupportive.

Ah yes the senior AI engineer that needs to sign up for an intro to AI course

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

the other day I was doing recatchpas for google and giving wrong answers as a form of protest against soulless automation

guess what the robot on googles end decided: that I wasn’t being human enough and that me clicking on pictures with my mouse was generating unusual network traffic that the mighty google needed to be protected from

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Max Facetime posted:

the other day I was doing recatchpas for google and giving wrong answers as a form of protest against soulless automation

guess what the robot on googles end decided: that I wasn’t being human enough and that me clicking on pictures with my mouse was generating unusual network traffic that the mighty google needed to be protected from

Wish the rest of us could be protected from your unusual network traffic too, OP.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

lancemantis posted:

Ah yes the senior AI engineer that needs to sign up for an intro to AI course

if it's the ray phan i'm thinking of, he was probably interviewed as an expert in the field, not one of the course's students

since the course copied stuff from github, some of phan's code might even be in it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i'd only do it if there were a way to prevent people from using it to deep fake other people.

maybe you could engineer some sort of placard that you could mail them and then they could hold it up in their photos to verify their id or something.

e: yeah i dont think you could prevent abuse.

Deep fake the placard photo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is there an AI that analyzes pics and goes “beautiful/ugly”

animist
Aug 28, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

have there been examples of adversarial approaches that limit access to the network they're trying to spoof? presumably a real adversary isn't going to hand you their model and give you a week's unrestricted cluster time running them against each other - what's the minimum attempts you can use to turn a gun into a turtle?

there's a bunch of "black box attacks" that work this way, only seeing inputs and outputs

often you don't even need those, though, because adversarial attacks usually transfer between networks. so you can just train your own model, and as long as it's even vaguely similar to whatever you're attacking, images that trick it will probably also trick your target

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

DaTroof posted:

if it's the ray phan i'm thinking of, he was probably interviewed as an expert in the field, not one of the course's students

since the course copied stuff from github, some of phan's code might even be in it

yeah ray phan at hover is a phd in computer vision

but also no one should be a phd in computer vision, the field should be forgotten, the books burned and the earth where you bury the ashes should be salted.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

animist posted:

there's a bunch of "black box attacks" that work this way, only seeing inputs and outputs

often you don't even need those, though, because adversarial attacks usually transfer between networks. so you can just train your own model, and as long as it's even vaguely similar to whatever you're attacking, images that trick it will probably also trick your target

it also helps that transfer learning is common in vision so you can expect whatever you’re dealing with to be some fine tuned head on an imagenet base

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Wish the rest of us could be protected from your unusual network traffic too, OP.

wow, how rude

these are the bugs that I discovered while doing my protest:

• after a while google started showing adversarially altered images, which is blatantly ableist against people with bad eyesight
• it can get stuck in a “check also the newly appeared images” but all images are blank state
• the unusual traffic decision occurs before checking if the solution was correct

has nobody tested this poo poo??

animist
Aug 28, 2018

lancemantis posted:

it also helps that transfer learning is common in vision so you can expect whatever you’re dealing with to be some fine tuned head on an imagenet base

fun fact: there are more than 120 breeds of dog in imagenet, out of 1000 categories total. they're wayy overrepresented compared to everything else in there.

so, over the past 10 years, humanity has collectively spent billions of dollars in R&D on... building the perfect dog show judge.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The thing that grinds my gears is how they don't specify what percentage of a square needs to have a traffic light in it before I make a click/no-click decision on teh box.

I mean, is "Click all boxes where >=25/33/50/67/75% of the box's area is filled by a traffic light (or sub-assembly thereof)" really so loving hard?

:mad:

E: Also poor documentation on whether or not pedestrian crossing lights (not signs) attached to traffic lights are to be considered as traffic lights for the purposes of the above.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.08225v4 , which does the very basic needful demonstrating that e.g. encoding multiplication requires exponentially wide hidden layers, which should reasonably be interpreted as "cannot be learned with current methods".

animist posted:

okay, so, first thing you gotta understand is what people mean by "deep neural networks".

inputs get multiplied by weights ([10, 300, -.5]), then summed, and passed through a nonlinear function. the function we're using is called ReLU, defined relu(x) = (x if x > 0 else 0). you might think thats a lovely function but it's super common in deep learning for some loving reason

:thunk:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

help?? why’s my deep neural network only multiplying correctly some of the time?!

here’s my network:

C++ code:
x = max(0.0, a) * b;

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

if you're feeling fancy,

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

gently caress me for recognizing this

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
drat i wish it was possible to teach computers to do multiplications

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pinterest Mom posted:

if you're feeling fancy,

is this the calculations for damage in Path of Exile

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Question: was looking for a thing that was going around not too long ago. It was like a neural network of morphing faces (not sure if it was that or a straight render). Looked like the wall of faces from doom. Anyone know what I’m talking about? Driving me crazy I can’t find it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

multiplying two inputs with *each other* without using some specialized blocks is the hard bit. multiplying inputs *by a constant* and adding them up with some clamping function applied is the basic building block.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

Question: was looking for a thing that was going around not too long ago. It was like a neural network of morphing faces (not sure if it was that or a straight render). Looked like the wall of faces from doom. Anyone know what I’m talking about? Driving me crazy I can’t find it

this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOxxPcy5Gr4

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t believe so. From what I remember it was like a big puddle of faces, almost like this queen album cover

With the faces changing of course

And the doom face wall I was talking about

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 1, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

is this the calculations for damage in Path of Exile

no it's Loss

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Alan Smithee posted:

I don’t believe so. From what I remember it was like a big puddle of faces, almost like this queen album cover

With the faces changing of course

And the doom face wall I was talking about

oh i found it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

More like

Human unlearning

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

multiplying two inputs with *each other* without using some specialized blocks is the hard bit. multiplying inputs *by a constant* and adding them up with some clamping function applied is the basic building block.

well these legos suck!!!

*stomps around in a circle angrily*

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/1181437300414275584

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i.e. a state of the art for 1996 reimplementation of pagerank

animist
Aug 28, 2018
using something called "random sampling", a concept from quantum chromodynamics,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Algorithm uses math. Quantum mechanics uses math. Cool!