Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostnuke posted:

WY didn't know until after Ripley told them? That seems unlikely... Didn't someone just post recently that the droid on the Nostromo was there specifically to facilitate getting a specimen?

Even if they didn't know, why aren't they sending in drop ships to LV-426 during/after the events of A3?
As of 'Alien', WY knew there was a signal but didn't really know where or what it was, just that it was worth investigating. They put Ash onboard the Nostromo and send it towards the signal, and when it gets in-range Mother stops the ship and wakes the crew. The events of 'Alien' happen, and an expensive ship gets blown up with (seemingly) all hands lost. Whoever in WY authorized sending the Nostromo sits and waits... and waits.... and waits, unsure of what's going on but hesitant to send a follow-up for fear of losing another ship or questions being asked or who knows what. The Company still doesn't know what's out there or even really where it is.

Meanwhile, the signal stops broadcasting. in the 'Alien' novelization it's because Dallas switches it off when he investigates the Space Jockey corpse. According to James Cameron it's because a lava flow damaged the Derelict at some point between the first two movies (one of the "prongs" is visibly damaged in 'Aliens'). In 'Alien: Isolation', the ship that stumbles across the Nostromo's black box checks the signal out and switches it off. Either way the signal is gone so even if someone in the Company wanted to pick up the torch and resume the search, they don't really know where to look.

2179, Ripley shows up with the Narcissus' flight recorder and tells Carter Burke exactly where to look, and through sheer coincidence there's already a colony there. He sends a transmission to check out a particular grid reference, the colony checks it out, and it ends up being a really bad idea. The events of 'Aliens' play out.

As for why they don't send a bunch of stuff out there after 'Alien3'... they kinda do. 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' has the company do exactly that, and the USCM Tech Manual's final chapter details the Company piecing together the events of 'Aliens' after the fact based on data from the Sulaco's flight logs (which include the recordings from all of the Marines' helmet cams, file dumps from Bishop, security cameras within the Sulaco itself, etc). The last chapter of the book takes place semi-concurrently with 'Alien3' and includes some offhand references to it, and concludes with the Company sending a team to the Derelict.

For those interested, here's a timeline of the Alien universe. It's about as "official" as you can get, as the author is currently a part-time advisor for Fox.

Meskhenet posted:

Thermonuclear reaction? maybe the original ship was destroyed in that.

But considering they have had people there for 20? years and no one went exploring for any reason.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Yeah if the crashed ship was within one Nebraska radius of the colony it was destroyed.
The Derelict is located behind a mountain range relative to Hadley's Hope, which is presumably why no one found it until they were instructed to go look for it. Said mountain range also shielded it from the blast. For what it's worth, the Nebraska thing is hyperbole for dramatic effect; Bishop says the blast radius is about 30km. We don't know exactly how far the Derelict is from the colony, but either way it's also behind a mountain.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Let's please never consider gearbox's game they begrudgingly completed while lavishing attention on borderlands to be canon.

IINM it also included Hicks getting woken up and a switcheroo with someone else in his pod making it so in Alien 3 Ripley is mourning a rando merc.. lol
Not just that, Hicks manages to survive the events of the game and get to Fury 161 just in time to watch Ripley kill herself. No, seriously.

Colonial Marines sure is a thing, but there are elements I'll defend.
The weapon design is cool, and the weapon mod system actually made sense and wasn't as egregious as something like Call of Duty. Some of the weapon designs have actually cropped up in more recent comic books.
The weapons were also actually situationally useful, unlike in most Aliens games where the Pulse Rifle is the best gun and is best-suited to literally every scenario.
The level design and overall visual aesthetic felt faithful to the movies - it felt like you were seeing logical extensions of what we saw in Hadley's Hope and the Sulaco.
The Alien variant designs were cool (even if, say, the Boilers' visual effects were kneecapped by their wacky animations and poo poo AI).
The Derelict level was legit cool.

Wild T posted:

I thought it was implied that Hicks mercy-killed Hudson. He tries to pull him up, but after the xeno hand goes across his face and pulls him under Hicks fires a burst into the floor before firing on the advancing aliens. He made the same promise to Ripley, remember. "If it comes to that, I'll do us both."

PhotoKirk posted:

I think the novelization hinted at that.
The novelization has Hicks roll a grenade in after Hudson when he gets grabbed; the script just has Hudson get grabbed like we see in the movie.

Lossy Compression posted:

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about extended canon stuff like this. On the one hand it's cool to get these details, but on the other hand I favor the notion that if we were meant to know the answer, it would have been in the film.

Neither Alien nor Aliens specified the distance to LV-426. We know Ripley traveled for 57 years, but without knowing her speed we can't calculate distance. The guy on LV-426 who says it takes two weeks to get an answer might hold the key. Assuming he meant it takes one week for his signal to reach HQ and another week for the reply to arrive, the distance is roughly 115,068,493,150 miles (using 6 trillion miles as the distance of a light year).

Pluto is roughly 4 billion miles from the sun, so that's a massive distance. I guess this means FTL must exist, unless Hicks' rescue time is based on a source that's practically on the doorstep of LV-426.
'Alien' *kinda* tells us where LV-426 is, Lambert mentions that they're near Zeta II Reticuli, which is a real star.

FTL also improves pretty dramatically over the course of the Alien movies. LV-223 (the planet from 'Prometheus') actually orbits the same gas giant that LV-426 does, and it takes the Prometheus 29 months to get from earth to Zeta Reticuli in 2093. In 2122, Lambert projects that it'll take 10 months for the Nostromo to go from LV-426 to earth. In 2179, the Sulaco makes the same journey in just shy of 3 weeks. The Auriga, the ship from 'Alien Resurrection', starts the movie just outside the orbit of Pluto and makes it back to Earth within like 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about extended canon stuff like this. On the one hand it's cool to get these details, but on the other hand I favor the notion that if we were meant to know the answer, it would have been in the film.

Neither Alien nor Aliens specified the distance to LV-426. We know Ripley traveled for 57 years, but without knowing her speed we can't calculate distance. The guy on LV-426 who says it takes two weeks to get an answer might hold the key. Assuming he meant it takes one week for his signal to reach HQ and another week for the reply to arrive, the distance is roughly 115,068,493,150 miles (using 6 trillion miles as the distance of a light year).

Pluto is roughly 4 billion miles from the sun, so that's a massive distance. I guess this means FTL must exist, unless Hicks' rescue time is based on a source that's practically on the doorstep of LV-426.

FTL travel in the Alien universe is just one of those background details that isn't actually important to the stories being told, but when you sit down and think about it you realise that it has to exist in some form for the details to fit together. I suspect that Ridley Scott's intention with big cumbersome ships and cryo-stasis pods is that near-instant warp speed/hyperspace-style travel doesn't exist, but the movie isn't a physics lecture and he didn't worry about whether the precise details of the distances and timescales involved would mean FTL must exist for it to all work. It's like Grant Morrison's rant about people nerding out over who pumps the tires for the Batmobile.

The answer is that Batman has a resident mute hunchback mechanic called Harold who pumps the tires https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/Harold_Allnut

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm the hugest Batman dork and I didn't even know that bastards last name was Allnut

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I only found that out myself when I googled him just now to make sure I wasn't insane for remembering Batman once had his own pet hunchback of Notre Dame living in the Batcave.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Wild T posted:

I thought it was implied that Hicks mercy-killed Hudson. He tries to pull him up, but after the xeno hand goes across his face and pulls him under Hicks fires a burst into the floor before firing on the advancing aliens. He made the same promise to Ripley, remember. "If it comes to that, I'll do us both."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWgDX_6Hh9I

Hicks grabs his rifle possibly intending to mercy kill Hudson, but instead has to somersault roll and shoot a Xenomorph that's leaping at him.

And I was slightly mistaken about his last words, which were actually "Hicks! Hicks! Aaaaaaaaahhhhh!".

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Yeah I think it was the novelization creeping into my brain (I remember it saying something about Hicks firing into the hole hoping he hit them both).

The one scene I'm glad they pulled was Ripley encountering Burke cocooned in the nest. He begs for her to kill him, she gives him a grenade and tells him to do it himself, and leaves. For one thing I think it would have absolutely ruined the pacing of that section and even though it lets Ripley get one final 'gently caress you' in it doesn't add to the story in any meaningful way. Not to mention Burke was supposed to describe feeling one moving inside him and that just shits all over the the logistical timeline of how impregnation works in these movies.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Wild T posted:

and that just shits all over the the logistical timeline of how impregnation works in these movies.

Again, this is like the force. I dont think there is a 'set' time it takes. Its prety much as long as it needs to be to not disrupt the flow of the movie.

In Alien is was a fairly long time. In Aliens you have that woman cocooned, no real idea how long she's been there, (but lets face it, its doubtful she had managed to hide away for 2 weeks+ like Newt) that pops one out just as the soliders arrive. (So again, a fairly long time). But then you have the dog dying in a few hours in A3 (havent seen A4, well ive seen the end somehow). And if you add in the predator vs alien movie it throws the incubation times right out again. And holy gently caress if you even think of the prequels with the black crap, and didnt that one guy get a hugger on his face when he went down into davids basement? God i hate that movie.

Im all for a lengthy incubation time, but if the movie wants action fast, youre getting near instantaneous births.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wild T posted:

Yeah I think it was the novelization creeping into my brain (I remember it saying something about Hicks firing into the hole hoping he hit them both).

The one scene I'm glad they pulled was Ripley encountering Burke cocooned in the nest. He begs for her to kill him, she gives him a grenade and tells him to do it himself, and leaves. For one thing I think it would have absolutely ruined the pacing of that section and even though it lets Ripley get one final 'gently caress you' in it doesn't add to the story in any meaningful way. Not to mention Burke was supposed to describe feeling one moving inside him and that just shits all over the the logistical timeline of how impregnation works in these movies.
It was only discovered fairly recently that the Burke cocoon scene was actually filmed, prior to that all we had were some production stills and set photos.

As for Alien incubation, the first four Alien movies were pretty consistent that incubation takes about 24 hours, somewhat longer if it's a Queen ('Alien3'). The common headcanon handwave for Burke was that he thought he was impregnated, having woken up without any idea of how much time had passed, and anything he thought he was feeling was psychosomatic.

'AvP' sped things up, but got handwaved in the novelization as the Predators altering the Queen's reproductive system via hormones to speed things up so they didn't have to sit around for a day - that's also why you see the Alien eggs getting cranked out like an assembly line. The gestation time in AvP: Requiem was very quick, too, but you can handwave that as the same reason as 'AvP' since that Predalien was descended from the altered Queen.

'Alien: Covenant' threw everything right out the window by having people give birth to Aliens after a couple hours, and after a facehugger even barely touches their face. :shrug:

Much like the potency of Alien acid, I guess you could say that Alien gestation time is "as long as the plot requires".

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

You're a thread treasure.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
Anyone else marvel at how well Alien/Aliens have held up over time? Particularly Aliens. There's the imfamously bad blue-screen scene where Ripley throws her grenade belt at the queen, and a few of the atmosphere processor shots don't look quite as perfect today as they once did, but otherwise I think Aliens could go toe-to-toe with anything made today — writing, casting, photography, the whole deal.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Watching Hellraiser 2 and pleasantly surprised to see Lt Gorman is in it.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Lol not surprised that he's an idiot in this movie, too.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Anyone else marvel at how well Alien/Aliens have held up over time? Particularly Aliens. There's the imfamously bad blue-screen scene where Ripley throws her grenade belt at the queen, and a few of the atmosphere processor shots don't look quite as perfect today as they once did, but otherwise I think Aliens could go toe-to-toe with anything made today — writing, casting, photography, the whole deal.

This is how I grade it. I've seen both movies plenty of times but my stomach still tightens up in Alien the entire 10 min before Ripley blows the Xeno out into space. And my butthole puckers in Aliens when Ripley and Newt are trapped with the facehugger....every time. No other movie, past or current does it like Alien(s).

Yes. It holds up and will continue to hold up.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hell Stink posted:

This is how I grade it. I've seen both movies plenty of times but my stomach still tightens up in Alien the entire 10 min before Ripley blows the Xeno out into space. And my butthole puckers in Aliens when Ripley and Newt are trapped with the facehugger....every time. No other movie, past or current does it like Alien(s).

Yes. It holds up and will continue to hold up.

Alien Isolation is imo the most effective horror games ever made because it's an entire game of that feeling, at least the first time through.

edit: brainfarted and said it was a movie, lol

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

BattleMaster posted:

Alien Isolation is imo the most effective horror games ever made because it's an entire game of that feeling, at least the first time through.

edit: brainfarted and said it was a movie, lol

Alien Isolation is one of the few games that I've actually played to completion. It's so good that it's supplanted System Shock 2 as my favorite horror game.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Xenomrph posted:

It was only discovered fairly recently that the Burke cocoon scene was actually filmed, prior to that all we had were some production stills and set photos.

All this talk of people getting cocooned, what's the official process there?

In the AvP game on the Jaguar you had to "stun" people with your tail and I THINK the instruction manual said something about a kind of neuro-toxin? Something that knocks people out. Because you see people waking up, dripping vith goo so obviously the aliens knock people out somehow.

Just picturing aliens getting Hudson in a sleeper hold now.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Going by Theatrical? id say no cocoons, all pointing towards the queen.

Cant really say they go into the how in the directors cuts.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The queen gets people in a crossface crippler to knock them out.

By cocoons I mean them getting strung up in hardenend alien cum btw. Not the whole turning dudes into eggs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Looks like some sort of secreted resin.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah, but secreted from what?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, but secreted from what?

Resin is stored in the balls.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
it always looks like victims wake up already strung up one the walls is what I was getting at.

Hearing Hudson wasn't outright killed, but cocooned and impregnated got me thinking how did that work? Did seven aliens pin him down and bukkake him? Or was there truth to that AvP manual where alien tails can paralyse people/knock them out?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thinking too hard about alien cum, I know. But if this isn't the thread for it, then what is?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think the Aliens novelisation explicitly calls the end of the Queen’s tail a stinger.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Didn't original chest buster guy pass out as soon as he got the alien wang down his throat?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Drunken Baker posted:

Or was there truth to that AvP manual where alien tails can paralyse people/knock them out?

The novelization had Gorman getting "stung" by a xenomorph instead of having a crate fall on his head.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

it always looks like victims wake up already strung up one the walls is what I was getting at.

Hearing Hudson wasn't outright killed, but cocooned and impregnated got me thinking how did that work? Did seven aliens pin him down and bukkake him? Or was there truth to that AvP manual where alien tails can paralyse people/knock them out?

Little known fact- BUKKAKE is actually an acronym that stands for:

Basically
Unconcious?
Kool
Kool.
Aliens
Kum
Everywhere

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Class Warcraft posted:

Little known fact- BUKKAKE is actually an acronym that stands for:

Basically
Unconcious?
Kool
Kool.
Aliens
Kum
Everywhere

:perfect:

This is why I don't just scour alien wikis for answers.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Unless the scene with Burke cocooned was the original intent (which might be true) I always assumed he was supposed to buy it from getting a jaw to the dome. Same with Hudson, I don't think either would survive a 1-1 encounter.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lil Peeler posted:

Unless the scene with Burke cocooned was the original intent (which might be true) I always assumed he was supposed to buy it from getting a jaw to the dome. Same with Hudson, I don't think either would survive a 1-1 encounter.

I’d say the intent was there, the scene is in the script and it got filmed. In my head canon that’s what happened to him.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah that little clip you showed was pretty neat with Burke getting cocooned and she just hands him a grenade.

I also always had the impression that he got killed with a jaw to the dome. I like he getting what he deserves even more though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/RealEOC/status/...r%3D435%23pti26

Someone probably mentioned it but Alien will be playing this weekend in theaters and I checked the local one by me and they'll have it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah that little clip you showed was pretty neat with Burke getting cocooned and she just hands him a grenade.

I also always had the impression that he got killed with a jaw to the dome. I like he getting what he deserves even more though.

Supposedly one of the random explosions during her retreat is from Burke blowing himself up.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Drunken Baker posted:

Thinking too hard about alien cum, I know. But if this isn't the thread for it, then what is?

new title please

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xenomrph posted:

I’d say the intent was there, the scene is in the script and it got filmed. In my head canon that’s what happened to him.

The audience deserves to see Burke get it, and I favor the inner-jaw to the forehead method. Unfortunately it'd kill the pacing, so I'll just have to do without.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

mllaneza posted:

The audience deserves to see Burke get it

I couldn't agree more. I was pissed that the scene cut just as he turned around. Even if they showed him get the jaw to the head, he deserved worse. The blood of the whole colony and all the marines was on his hands, and he tried to infect Ripley and Newt.

Him dying via chestburster would have been satisfying, but him having to die by his own hand would have been even better. I wish his cocoon/grenade scene had been left in, and then show us his explosion so we know he did it.

I get the pacing argument, but given that Burke's actions are basically the backbone of the whole movie, I think we deserved to see his fate.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

They were correct in cutting the Burke scene, it's awful.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The cocoon'ed Burke scene is nice & all but I get why they got rid of it. Same with not having his death be too gory: we get it, he got deservedly whacked, but we have Ripley & the others we need to get back to.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Not showing Burke buying it completely, just showing the alien and him in close vicinity allows the viewer to play out just exactly he dies which I think is far more satisfying than showing him outright die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I mean they are both just fine. But even with the extra stuff it's just neat to know that they filmed another scene where he had only two options. Get your chest painfully blown out by a foreign being or blowing yourself up. Fine choice.

I still like the movie version though were he just dies after trying to lock everyone out and somehow try to save himself against a horde of aliens completely alone and without Marines.