Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

80s James Hetfield posted:

Lol people cried so Hoogak got banned then Whirza skyrocketed to the top tier and people are crying again so its going to get banned. So what's the next deck to slot into that #1 role which is fine now but in 6 months people will be crying for that to be banned?

Watching this cycle the last 3 years is so hilarious.

Almost like Modern is an inherently broken format and WOTC should make a new format to make up for it. Some format that is eternal but starts maybe with hm, Ixalan block? Or that's kinda recent what about Amonkhet? Give it a cool name like Standard History or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

axeil posted:

Almost like Modern is an inherently broken format and WOTC should make a new format to make up for it. Some format that is eternal but starts maybe with hm, Ixalan block? Or that's kinda recent what about Amonkhet? Give it a cool name like Standard History or something.

It's hard to really say where a new format should start because you gotta decide what bullshit you want to include in the format. About the only thing that's certain is that you gotta do it past Khans, because whatever else you gotta keep it clean of Fetchlands as long as Wizards would allow, especially since we've got Shocklands in the format now too.

If it wasn't for Arena, Origins would probably be the single cleanest point- there's some argument for moving post-Kaladesh to avoid... everything Kaladesh did wrong competitively, but frankly once the card pool gets big enough most of Kaladesh would probably be fine, and Heart of Kiran can just eat it's justified ban. Probably kick Marvel out too in the early eras just to be safe.

But thanks to Arena, it's more likely Kalaadesh or Amonkhet would be the start of whatever the new format would be

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
swap modern and historic's name imo

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If you don't worry about modern as a way to demonstrate your ability to win 66% of your matches against another human being, and instead as a great way to enjoy most everything else about magic, you're ok.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I don't think vintage style restricted lists, but I think an FFG style list of you can only have one of these cards could work, though at the cost of bookkeeping.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

axeil posted:

im sure that if they make a new different format from modern that after they print enough sets there wont be any fast linear decks playing goldfish. you look at standard and that never has happened before, so this would definitely fix any kind of new hypothetical eternal format.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

axeil posted:

Please do not make me play Scarab God mirrors again

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

People like fetching typed duals and want to play formats where they can. No eternal format that doesn’t let you do that will ever meaningfully compete with those that do. Sorry.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

with the past decade plus of game design updating to a newer version of modern wont solve the things people hate about modern either

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Even if you cut it off from Amonkhet there’s still going to be some wildly broken poo poo rolling around still and it’s just a matter of time before Wizards concretely fucks up again

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're designing a format specifically for Arena, fetchlands are way less obnoxious in a digital format anyway.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Abolish the reserve list and simply send the names of litigants to the pentagon for summary droning. Boom, all provlems solved at once.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Seize the means of fancy cardboard production.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Abolish the reserve list and simply send the names of litigants to the pentagon for summary droning. Boom, all provlems solved at once.

Instructions unclear, several migrant detention centres filled with enemy combatants droned instead

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Instructions unclear, several migrant detention centres filled with enemy combatants droned instead
:sigh: Honestly probably still better than being the subject of involuntary medical experimentation and/or being sold to traffickers for sex and farmwork.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Trump misunderstood and thought Erdogan was going to invade to destroy the Cards instead of the Kurds.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Huxley posted:

Maybe Trump misunderstood and thought Erdogan was going to invade to destroy the Cards instead of the Kurds.
:hmmyes:
Melania: Your son is vaping and playing a devil-worship game!
Trump: Fine, fine, I'll get rid of them. Sheesh!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Amonkhet is cool because I'll play Approach of the Second Sun until the cows come home

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

unban Birthing Pod

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Andrast posted:

unban Birthing Pod

Sadly it probably isn't even that good right now, but still....:same:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

unban Birthing Pod

100% agree

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

GSZ is the most egregious card on the modern banlist but pod is a close second

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

GSZ is the most egregious card on the modern banlist but pod is a close second

not sure it's more egregious than preordain or seething song

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
IIRC pod causes issues because it means r&d have to be real careful about what they print creature wise otherwise stuff gets broken fast

They also printed Hogaak though so

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Anybody have any tips on playing modern ad nauseum? I put it together because it's cheap and I'm just about ready to take it to fnm. I don't really have any experience with it other than goldfishing

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

A Moose posted:

Anybody have any tips on playing modern ad nauseum? I put it together because it's cheap and I'm just about ready to take it to fnm. I don't really have any experience with it other than goldfishing
Pretty much just goldfish it, it's a control deck until you draw your combo pieces.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

IIRC pod causes issues because it means r&d have to be real careful about what they print creature wise otherwise stuff gets broken fast

They also printed Hogaak though so

*Looks at Emry*

*Looks at MH1*

*Looks at two of the last three sets of Walkers in standard”

Yeah they are...not exactly being careful anywhere else tbh

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Andrast posted:

unban Birthing Pod

Unbirth bans, I agree. :twisted:

Emptyquoter
Feb 26, 2014

Andrast posted:

unban Birthing Pod

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

not sure it's more egregious than preordain or seething song

those are both safe unbans, but GSZ is only slightly better than finale of devastation (and worse as a lategame topdeck) so its inclusion on the list is more glaring

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Would GSZ and Dryad Arbor swapping banlist positions damage modern any further?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Would GSZ and Dryad Arbor swapping banlist positions damage modern any further?

It would hit Bogles hard but that’s also Bogles

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

It would hit Bogles hard but that’s also Bogles
So, not really a problem?

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I am trying to teach some new player friends about magic and wanted to use some youtube videos they can watch and follow on their own time. However, MTG (and Youtube MTG) is full of loving total chuds and I don't want to choose a stealth one.

Is the Tolarian Community College dude okay/reliably non-chud for teaching some fundamentals? Is there another series of videos/creator that's worth doing instead?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Darius099 posted:

I am trying to teach some new player friends about magic and wanted to use some youtube videos they can watch and follow on their own time. However, MTG is full of loving total chuds and I don't want to choose a stealth one.

Is the Tolarian Community College dude okay/reliably non-chud for teaching some fundamentals? Is there another series of videos/creator that's worth doing instead?

My impression is that tolarian professor is pretty much as non-chud as you can possibly be, but now that I've said that, half an hour from now someone will probably unearth a racist tweet from his past or something

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Darius099 posted:

I am trying to teach some new player friends about magic and wanted to use some youtube videos they can watch and follow on their own time. However, MTG (and Youtube MTG) is full of loving total chuds and I don't want to choose a stealth one.

MTG Arena has a pretty decent tutorial, I think it's worth downloading and playing through for a new player.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

My impression is that tolarian professor is pretty much as non-chud as you can possibly be, but now that I've said that, half an hour from now someone will probably unearth a racist tweet from his past or something

Tolarian Professor is preternaturally wholesome and a good recommendation. Just make sure to show them the 1.5x playback speed option youtube has.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Milkshake Duck

R

Creature - Duck Racist

Haste, Flying

1/1

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Tolarian Professor is preternaturally wholesome and a good recommendation. Just make sure to show them the 1.5x playback speed option youtube has.

Haha, that is super accurate. I feel the same way.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'll see if I can't get them watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Darius099 posted:

Numotthenummy (YouTube and twitch) is pretty chill and good at magic. Might be a good recommendation for your buddies.