Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rastor posted:

For 4K 120Hz you need both devices and the cable between them to all be certified for HDMI 2.1. It's a new spec and still pretty rare

I have a 120hz panel that doesn't have 2.1 — am I going to see any kind of benefit when say the PS5 comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No but again almost nobody has 2.1 and that will still be pretty true when the PS5 comes out so everything will definitely support the current TVs

You can still enjoy HDR without HDMI 2.1

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm on the fence here and my newborn addled brain can't make a reasonable decision.

I have about $1200 in Rakuten credit so that's where I'm shopping. I am willing to go about $150 over that in cash.

I want a 65" TV.

Right now it's between the Sony X950G and the 2019 TCL 6 Series.

I don't know why I'm recently so enamored with the Sony, but it's always looked good in person.

The 65" C9 is justtttt out of reach. And with my wife and older kids viewing habits, burn in becomes a creeping thought in the back of my mind (my wife loves to turn the TV on those damned static music channels when she's puttering around the house).

I should just go with the TCL right? Best bang for the buck?

I game on a OneX

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

One other quick question — I just bought a TCL 6 series from Best Buy, which came with the cheaper IR remote. No reason I can't buy the enhanced remote and pair it with the TV, correct?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

EL BROMANCE posted:

TCL launched in Europe a year ago. As usual I’m sure it’s fun and games working out which model relates to which, as with most brands.

We have the poo poo models without local dimming and they're not priced particularly competitively even then

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Is there going to be a 75" TCL model newly released or is the current 2019 offering it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

One other quick question — I just bought a TCL 6 series from Best Buy, which came with the cheaper IR remote. No reason I can't buy the enhanced remote and pair it with the TV, correct?

Yep you can easily do that.

The Ferret King posted:

Is there going to be a 75" TCL model newly released or is the current 2019 offering it?

At this moment the only 75" 2019 Model is the higher end 8 series launching later this year. And it's pre-orderable at Best Buy as an exclusive I believe. But it's $3,000.

As for the 6 series 75"... CNet notes that the 75" of the *current* 2018 model wasn't announced until after the initial launch (they actually released it in January of this year).

So there's the potential that the 75" 6 series 2019 edition gets announced at the upcoming CES in January 2020.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oh ok, that's my confusion. The 75" that I can buy now is the 2018 model, though it launched in 2019?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Ferret King posted:

Oh ok, that's my confusion. The 75" that I can buy now is the 2018 model, though it launched in 2019?

Yup!

You can actually tell by the picture used on the product shot (if it's not explicitly mentioned in the title).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Gotcha. Thanks for helping me clear that up.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

BonoMan posted:

Neither of those are really good. I'd look for last year's TCL 6 series (R617/R615/R613 depending on store) on sale somewhere.

Or the Hisense 8 series: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-65-class-led-h8f-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6360623.p?skuId=6360623

EDIT: Best Buy has the 2018 TCL 6 Series for just $730. I'd get that:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

Thanks for the info.

I had a TCL - 55" Class - LED - 5 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Roku TV, Model:55S515

It was ok.
But it was also less than half as much as the tcl youre recommending.

Also, I'm still not that familiar with the TCL brand. Especially compared with LG or Samsung.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Bananana posted:

Thanks for the info.

I had a TCL - 55" Class - LED - 5 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Roku TV, Model:55S515

It was ok.
But it was also less than half as much as the tcl youre recommending.

Also, I'm still not that familiar with the TCL brand. Especially compared with LG or Samsung.

TCL 6 Series is wildly popular for being the best bang for your buck on sub $1000 TVs you're gonna get. The new 2019 line of 6 series is even better. But it's $799 for the 65". Not sure how far above $700 you're willing to go.

Non-OLED LGs are suggested to just ignore. And same with non-high end QLED Samsungs (although most people just suggest skipping Samsung all together). I know they seem like trusty go-to brands, but just ignore them.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The 6 series is a pretty massive step up from the 5. Both of your selections are much more comparable to the TCL 4 or 5.

All the LG models are IPS and have crappy black levels. The Samsung doesn't have meaningful HDR. Neither even have local backlight dimming. The TCL 6 has 4-5x higher peak brightness than either and is a much better TV for watching newish HDR content.

Reputable reviews for comparison:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/um7300
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru7100
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r617-2018

KS fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 10, 2019

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Maybe our OP should just tell people to go to rtings.com/tv first and post here second

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope nobody has read the OP in a long time. Taunting such things as Samsung’s OLED 55” at $8,000 it’s so horribly out of date.

A new thread just needs to have the tcl recommended, Sony recommended, LG OLED recommended screens at each price point and a link to rtings

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
And a giant middle finger to anyone who isn't buying a TV in the USA

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Butterfly Valley posted:

And a giant middle finger to anyone who isn't buying a TV in the USA

Lord just start a Euro TV Thread then

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Or you could not be ignorant and blinkered and actually listen to people when they ask for help instead of giving everyone a stock answer.

Buying a TV is an expensive and confusing affair. Threads like this exist because there's people who give a poo poo about helping other people out with advice and recommendations. Yes it's slightly frustrating having to repeat the same few options that serve most people's needs, however giving the same rote reply to everyone ignoring their location and use case isn't only unhelpful, it's an active hindrance. Also people suck at reading OPs, it's in the nature of these megathreads to end up repeating yourself.

In my case I was close to buying a TCL because I saw all of the praise itt until I did a lot of digging and found a comment buried in an Amazon answers section about how the EU models are different to the USA ones and don't have local dimming. That would have been a very expensive mistake.

For example the higher end Samsungs are reviewed very well on rtings but from reading this thread you'd think they were absolute poo poo, which can be quite disheartening if you're shopping for a tv here but don't have OLED money. Certainly in the States there's better value options but it's much less the case here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So be the guy who helps out the euros who come in. Problem solved.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Butterfly Valley posted:

Or you could not be ignorant and blinkered and actually listen to people when they ask for help instead of giving everyone a stock answer.

Buying a TV is an expensive and confusing affair. Threads like this exist because there's people who give a poo poo about helping other people out with advice and recommendations. Yes it's slightly frustrating having to repeat the same few options that serve most people's needs, however giving the same rote reply to everyone ignoring their location and use case isn't only unhelpful, it's an active hindrance. Also people suck at reading OPs, it's in the nature of these megathreads to end up repeating yourself.

In my case I was close to buying a TCL because I saw all of the praise itt until I did a lot of digging and found a comment buried in an Amazon answers section about how the EU models are different to the USA ones and don't have local dimming. That would have been a very expensive mistake.

For example the higher end Samsungs are reviewed very well on rtings but from reading this thread you'd think they were absolute poo poo, which can be quite disheartening if you're shopping for a tv here but don't have OLED money. Certainly in the States there's better value options but it's much less the case here.

Nobody's being blinkered. You just seem to be really reactionary when people don't take into account EU options. I missed ONE WORD where the guy mentions he's in Finland and you yell about how not everyone is in the states.

You're right, there are some that aren't, but most of us are and that's why most of the information is relevant to the states. Doesn't mean non-States folks should be left out... just that you shouldn't expect most States bound people to know the ins and outs of the European TV market nor should you expect them to do the research for you.

Instead, if someone like yourself knows the ins and outs of the EU options THEN PROVIDE THEM YOURSELF.

In the states, regardless of how many options there are, 99% of most use cases can easily be boiled down to "TCL/Vizio for Value, Sony for high end LCD, OLED for maximum quality." The amount of options doesn't change that.

Yes RTings can be leaned on for some tech specs in regards to picture quality, but this thread - especially when disregarding Samsung- takes into account lovely UI, spyware infested crap, company competence, bloated marketing terms and over priced poo poo (Samsung) when making recommendations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

So be the guy who helps out the euros who come in. Problem solved.

I can and I do, that's why I'm still itt a year after buying a tv. I just don't think it's a lot to ask for others to be more conscious of location as a factor when people come in asking for advice.

BonoMan posted:

Nobody's being blinkered. You just seem to be really reactionary when people don't take into account EU options. I missed ONE WORD where the guy mentions he's in Finland and you yell about how not everyone is in the states.

Reading comprehension is important and when people say where they're from it's always gonna hinge on you understanding one word. This isn't the first time this has happened and literally all I'm asking for is to stop giving bad recommendations to people. If you feel aggrieved about my censure consider how much more pissed off you'd be if you spent €600+ on one of the lovely TCLs we're sold here on the basis of bad advice itt.

BonoMan posted:

Yes RTings can be leaned on for some tech specs in regards to picture quality, but this thread - especially when disregarding Samsung- takes into account lovely UI, spyware infested crap, company competence, bloated marketing terms and over priced poo poo (Samsung) when making recommendations.

I don't want to keep defending Samsung because it sounds like I'm a paid shill for them, but you're just proving the point I made in the previous post. None of those issues are remotely unique to Samsung TVs, except them being overpriced which is only true if you're in the States. The lower quality TCLs aren't cheap here, Vizio doesn't exist, and Sony's high end LCDs are rare and very expensive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Butterfly Valley posted:

I can and I do, that's why I'm still itt a year after buying a tv. I just don't think it's a lot to ask for others to be more conscious of location as a factor when people come in asking for advice.

Reading comprehension is important and when people say where they're from it's always gonna hinge on you understanding one word. This isn't the first time this has happened and literally all I'm asking for is to stop giving bad recommendations to people. If you feel aggrieved about my censure consider how much more pissed off you'd be if you spent €600+ on one of the lovely TCLs we're sold here on the basis of bad advice itt.

Dude, get over yourself with that "reading comprehension" poo poo. What I meant was it was a single word, in a parenthetical, in the middle of his paragraph and it was easy to miss. It wasn't as if I didn't understand the word. I didn't see it. Quit laying this at my feet like I've committed some sort of crime. If someone is buying from an international market then possibly they should lead with it or something easier to not miss.

"If you feel aggrieved about my censure" ... No roll eyes big enough for this.

Also this thread is a recommendation thread that should be used in conjunction with other research. Not something people come into completely blind and get their marching orders from.

quote:

I don't want to keep defending Samsung because it sounds like I'm a paid shill for them, but you're just proving the point I made in the previous post. None of those issues are remotely unique to Samsung TVs, except them being overpriced which is only true if you're in the States. The lower quality TCLs aren't cheap here, Vizio doesn't exist, and Sony's high end LCDs are rare and very expensive.

I didn't say they were unique to Samsung TVs. Where did you get that from? I am saying it *is* a reason why we don't recommend Samsung *and* it's a reason why we trim off a lot of the fat elsewhere (LG non-OLEDs etc) and stick to what we know to be good (TCL 6 Series, Vizio M and P series, Sony and LG OLED).

If things are wildly different for the European market, then help out and come back with a comprehensive post about why and what some alternatives are.

edit: rawr

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 11, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Quit laying this at my feet like I've committed some sort of crime. If someone is buying from an international market then possibly they should lead with it or something easier to not miss.

Yours was the latest of many instances of this, I've been saying how TCLs are poo poo over here for a year now. But I'm sorry that it's your particular post I targeted and I agree that the Finnish guy's post was confusing because he mentioned dollars. I don't know why my vocabulary is making you mad though. Ultimately I assume we're in this thread because we want to help other people out getting the best TV for them, and that's the source of my frustration.

BonoMan posted:

If things are wildly different for the European market, then help out and come back with a comprehensive post about why and what some alternatives are.

I can and have been doing this for the better part of a year which is borne out by my post history.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yours was the latest of many instances of this, I've been saying how TCLs are poo poo over here for a year now. But I'm sorry that it's your particular post I targeted and I agree that the Finnish guy's post was confusing because he mentioned dollars. I don't know why my vocabulary is making you mad though. Ultimately I assume we're in this thread because we want to help other people out getting the best TV for them, and that's the source of my frustration.

No worries, I think you're language just came across as a bit overdramatic and felt like you were insisting on attaching way more gravitas to it than me just missing a word. But like you said I think you were reacting to a trend and not just me. All good.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Butterfly Valley posted:

No one praises all TCLs -- the 4 and 5 series aren't anything special. They praise the 6 series -- specifically the 615 and 617. That's on you.

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's still the Hisense U8B and all of the Sonys. The X900F is the XF90 there -- is it really rare?

If the bulk of the people providing advice are US-based, there's inevitably going to be more familiarity with the products that are marketed here.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/ specifically tests European models so it might be a good alternate for RTings if you're in that other hemisphere

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

KS posted:

There's still the Hisense U8B and all of the Sonys. The X900F is the XF90 there -- is it really rare?

It's not rare in my country, but it does cost 1100€. The LG C8 can be found for 1200€. That Hisense costs 900€, btw.

A couple years ago, when I was in the market for a new TV, Samsung did appear to be the best bang for the buck, as silly as it sounds. That was then, though; considering current prices, I would've gone a different way: the new Q70, for example, while a very respectable TV, costs 950€. That's just way too close to OLED prices, even if it's last year's model.

Hot Dog Day 60
Aug 11, 2003

Dumb question from a stupid baby: I just got the new 2019 TCL 65" 6 series. It's great, stunning actually, but my reference point is a crappy rear end 6 year old Sony LCD.

Anyway, for audio I'm using a Polk soundbar which connects to the TV via HDMI ARC. Works fine for stuff streamed via Roku and things mirrored via my Apple TV, but for some reason I get no audio when I'm using my switch. I've looked through every available audio option and can't find anything to tinker with to make it work. Can anyone guess at what the issue might be?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Hot Dog Day 60 posted:

Dumb question from a stupid baby: I just got the new 2019 TCL 65" 6 series. It's great, stunning actually, but my reference point is a crappy rear end 6 year old Sony LCD.

Anyway, for audio I'm using a Polk soundbar which connects to the TV via HDMI ARC. Works fine for stuff streamed via Roku and things mirrored via my Apple TV, but for some reason I get no audio when I'm using my switch. I've looked through every available audio option and can't find anything to tinker with to make it work. Can anyone guess at what the issue might be?

See if 5.1 is on in the settings on the Switch? It's janky that it supports 5.1 but only over optical and not HDMI (or so it seemed from quick googling when it didn't work for me).

Hot Dog Day 60
Aug 11, 2003

teh_Broseph posted:

See if 5.1 is on in the settings on the Switch? It's janky that it supports 5.1 but only over optical and not HDMI (or so it seemed from quick googling when it didn't work for me).

That did it! Thank you!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
:hfive: I think to save some cost they skipped the chip and/or the software licensing for the encoder required to do 5.1 over HDMI.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

KS posted:

No one praises all TCLs -- the 4 and 5 series aren't anything special. They praise the 6 series -- specifically the 615 and 617. That's on you.

There are roughly analogous model numbers beginning with 4/5/6 and the ones in the 6 range look similar to the American ones. It's confusing as gently caress, given that other manufacturers do the same but usually have direct equivalents.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm waiting to see the RTings review, but CNET really likes the 2019 6 series.

Costco is selling last years 55" 6 series for :420: $420 :420: this week. Great price, especially if you have the Costco credit card and get 4 years of total warranty.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

They're not OLEDs, but are LG's NanoCell LEDs worth a look? I know their usual LEDs aren't.

55" 4k NanoCell LED $579 shipped with code

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a Samsung plasma tv that I'm kind of over due to the glare. It isn't the last super nice plasmas they had but its a pretty decent one. How comparable is the 2018 6 series TCL? I'm particularly picky about black levels more than anything. That Costco deal is super tempting.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I just went from a Panasonic plasma to a 6 series and while it probably isn’t 1:1 the black levels are at least in the same ballpark. Don’t regret switching over.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You won't be convincing the plasma oldies anytime soon. Not until micro LED, where they have so little leg to stand on that even they must face the truth.

I owned a great plasma in its day, so I'm no stranger to them, and it just makes me laugh the mental contortions people put themselves through to say that plasma isn't worth upgrading to OLED.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Plasma people are insane.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
My Panasonic plasma bit it due to my cat jumping up on it and scratching holes in the anti glare coating with his claws. I miss that TV and the tech because it had great PQ out of the box -- I didn't have to Google why thrown footballs are translucent on my OLED. It was so far ahead of its time compared to everything else out there in everything except power usage.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

They're not OLEDs, but are LG's NanoCell LEDs worth a look? I know their usual LEDs aren't.

I think nanocell is their version of "QLED" -- just fancy branding for quantum dot. It's an edge-lit IPS TV with poor black levels and no brightness for HDR.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sm8600 check out that local dimming video -- wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Taima posted:

You won't be convincing the plasma oldies anytime soon. Not until micro LED, where they have so little leg to stand on that even they must face the truth.

I owned a great plasma in its day, so I'm no stranger to them, and it just makes me laugh the mental contortions people put themselves through to say that plasma isn't worth upgrading to OLED.

Wait, I am still on my 10 year old Samsung Plasma and it's great but... are there people that really say OLED isn't worth the upgrade? It decimates my plasma.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have a Samsung plasma tv that I'm kind of over due to the glare. It isn't the last super nice plasmas they had but its a pretty decent one. How comparable is the 2018 6 series TCL? I'm particularly picky about black levels more than anything. That Costco deal is super tempting.

I briefly went to the 2018 6 series and I was extremely impressed with the blacks. As a non-AVS forums nerd, my initial impression was that the blacks were great and it could get very close (or hell just as good) blacks as my old plasma.