Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MZ posted:

I didn't have a PS3 but the Xbox 360 launched with the intention that all games would be run from the DVD disc drive. IIRC it didn't even let you install games to the Hard Drive until a few years in - it eventually became mandatory for some games towards the end of the cycle.

you couldn't install games to the harddrive from your discs but even within the first year of launch there were games you couldn't play at all on the arcade because they required a harddrive for whatever reason i cannot recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
In Control the Ashtray Maze was loving cool because I seized the giant Phantasm ball healbots so they topped my health up while I just ran around recklessly destroying everything with a shotgun and throwing couches everywhere and nothing could really hurt me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

you couldn't install games to the harddrive from your discs but even within the first year of launch there were games you couldn't play at all on the arcade because they required a harddrive for whatever reason i cannot recall.

Football Manager, I think it was because the save files were enormous. Might have been another football game but definitely that sport.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RBA Starblade posted:

When I was a kid I asked for Resident Evil 3 (I think) and was so spooked about it and friends talking it up I didn't make it out of the first area lmao

"STARSSS..." used to haunt my dreams. Not so intimidating hearing/seeing Nemesis in YouTube clips these days.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RichterIX posted:

In Control the Ashtray Maze was loving cool because I seized the giant Phantasm ball healbots so they topped my health up while I just ran around recklessly destroying everything with a shotgun and throwing couches everywhere and nothing could really hurt me.

Discovering that you could seize those was such a great moment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RichterIX posted:

Lol Didn't even realise you could do that, guess you need the 'seize big stuff' skill I never got though

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

rabidsquid posted:

This is sort of incorrect but also basically correct -

I left out some options when I was talking about 360 storage methods when it launched. There was a 20GB hard drive, a 60GB hard drive, and also...a 64MB memory card, and then a 256MB memory card. One would use the memory cards to store game save data as well as XBLA games, and because of that XBLA games were for some time capped at whatever the real maximum amount of space on the 250MB card was like 250 or whatever. Though I believe this cap lasted a couple of years into the system's life.

Just, storage-wise last gen really was a hellscape.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My Pro is acting up.

Fine until some month(s) ago when it seemed the standard HD crapped itself, then it was fine with a fresh new SSHD until the Ace Combat 7 DLC1 mission where I noticed the music not behaving right? Other than that it was fine as hell, did a bunch of MHW yesterday, and then I started it up for the 1.3 gig large patch for Rajang and new content. Something seemed weird, taking 20 minutes of "Copying..." to get that patch in. Then loadtimes were clearly affected going into and around the game. Restarted the whole console, menus were slow and chunky with icons not appearing or taking their sweet time to render.

Plugged it out of absolutely everything and kept it bare for 12 hours in case something had to discharge, just plugged it all back in, and now it's back to something closer to normal but still far from what it was day one? Usually i's permanently plugged in but not using standby or nothing. Bad sign if it gets like that over time right? The only bad thing that happened to it was being on when a blackout struck out my side of the city in February or March.

Bought this unit last December, can do a free RMA and enjoy PS3 and other stuff until it's completed and I get a fresh reliable unit. Probably will. My adequately stored and used and ventilated PS4 consoles just can't help but break and the launch one lasted until February 2014 before the drive got the eject-issue.

The 360 launched without HDMI. Get that into your brain for just one moment. Insane isn't it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If your Pro is still under warranty you might as well send it in. fwiw in Canada their turnaround is surprisingly fast, like a week which isn't too bad.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
All the Control talk makes me want to play it sooner rather than later. Plus it would make a good October title with the xfiles/supernatural vibe.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

univbee posted:

If your Pro is still under warranty you might as well send it in. fwiw in Canada their turnaround is surprisingly fast, like a week which isn't too bad.

Nice. Here in Sweden the only issue is the support phone line being super busy and undermanned but I gotta get it done. Been getting tired of what little I actually play on PS4 not counting learning things in Dreams, wanna be with a console I can trust when it's time for Death Stranding.

Plugging the PS3 into this new IPS monitor it feels all new again too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Nice. Here in Sweden the only issue is the support phone line being super busy and undermanned but I gotta get it done. Been getting tired of what little I actually play on PS4 not counting learning things in Dreams, wanna be with a console I can trust when it's time for Death Stranding.

Plugging the PS3 into this new IPS monitor it feels all new again too.

You might be able to do it all online without talking to a person, you definitely can in Canada at least. Basically go to the warranty support page and it'll throw advice at you and you say "this didn't fix poo poo, now what?" and then they drop-ship you a box to mail it back in.

In the interest of being thorough, it's not impossible that they receive it and don't find anything wrong with it for whatever reason. You'll also need to put the stock drive back in (so it'll wipe everything), and they refuse to service consoles that have obvious physical damage or that have bugs in them, dead or otherwise.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m going away for a week tomorrow (dad is having surgery) and gently caress it I’m going to take my PS4 just so I can play Control

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m going away for a week tomorrow (dad is having surgery) and gently caress it I’m going to take my PS4 just so I can play Control

If you want to get fancy, just bring a DS4, pair it to your phone, and remote play it. :getin:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nah I'd say Spider-Man is still better in that regard. Though hitting an enemy with a launch object while it's being pulled towards you and then again when it's being pushed away from you comes pretty close.

I just grabbed Spider-Man on last week's sale and I totally see how so many people have Platinumed this game. Doing drat near anything in this game is just fun. It reminds me a lot of Infamous: SS in that they just made moving around a really good time and went from there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Regy Rusty posted:

Clicked after reading first four words, was briefly disappointed

Gotta take time and let the mood build!

RichterIX posted:

YOU CAN DO THAT???

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

univbee posted:

If you want to get fancy, just bring a DS4, pair it to your phone, and remote play it. :getin:

I would love, to play. my games, designed for a regular scren, on a small screen

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Wonder why Sony is pulling FB integration, and will it affect real names for identifying people, or nah?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Probably because no one used it and keeping up with FBs constant API updates is a huge pain in the rear end. FB only wants other services to integrate in very specific ways.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

Wonder why Sony is pulling FB integration, and will it affect real names for identifying people, or nah?

to be fair, I can't imagine they really got much out of it, and the only time I ever actually used it was in Left Behind.

speaking of which, Neil Druckmann had a new interview yesterday about TLOU 2:

some highlights (not really any spoilers, but if you're avoiding all news then probably don't read):

On telling Ashley Johnson about TLOU 2:
“And I told her I had something else I was working on and I pitched her that idea. So she’s there in the restaurant crying, and I’m thinking ‘I hope people don’t think I’m doing something horrible.’ But that’s the first time I remember having some strong idea.”

On how they justify new types of infected when all the documented kinds were researched last game:
“In the first game, there is all this documentation about the different stages [of the infection],” Druckmann says. “Now we have to justify why there are different stages. Why are there mutations of these things? Without getting into it here, there is something about the environment and how much time has passed that has allowed these mutations to occur.

On animations about cleaning/taking care of weapons:
"If you had these weapons your life and death would rely on them,” Druckmann continues. “You would clean them, you would tend to them. So we created systems and aesthetic – we really zoom the camera in and show you the weapon and how she works them to improve them – to make you feel the connection she has to these instruments of death, in a way.

On the possibility of stealthing through most encounters:
"Likewise, we wanted to have way more sequences where you could ghost completely. It’s very challenging and very hard, but it’s possible to leave areas. Then there are certain situations where we want you engaged, we want you to partake in certain actions that are going to make you uncomfortable. But that’s part of the narrative,that’s part of Ellie’s journey."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

morallyobjected posted:

"Likewise, we wanted to have way more sequences where you could ghost completely.

Dead Joel confirmed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Last Of Us 2 Souls

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

owl_pellet posted:

I would love, to play. my games, designed for a regular scren, on a small screen

Bring a PSTV then, whatever.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

The Last Of Us 2 Souls

Well, we've already seen a lot of jumps around in time frame in the demos, so we're already on the way there. we just need some surreal cartoon to be playing on a TV, a weird shower/nudity scene, some sex, and weird controller prompts where you have to form your hands into a claw to push down four buttons that should not be pushed down at once.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I downloaded and was enjoying Batman Arkham Knight up until the very first Batmobile section. It was so bad I deleted it and downloaded TLOU instead. Shame, I really enjoyed how good the world looks. But that tank action is miserable and I heard that's bug chunk of the game

Playing TLOU again, I'm kinda surprised how bland and bad looking the environment design is. Towards the beginning you have to climb a fire escape and the ladder looks unbelievably goofy. Like PS1 chunky and blocky. It's really the acting and mocap that's out of this world.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Arkham Knight owns except for the batmobile which is way too much of the game. WAY too much.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

AK's Batmobile is one of the most polarizing mechanics I've ever seen. Although as I think about it, I merely tolerate it. The world looks unbelievably good though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dewgy posted:

I just grabbed Spider-Man on last week's sale and I totally see how so many people have Platinumed this game. Doing drat near anything in this game is just fun. It reminds me a lot of Infamous: SS in that they just made moving around a really good time and went from there.

Just slinging around beating up criminals while listening to JJ do rants about Spiderman was enough to hook me for hours of play.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I downloaded and was enjoying Batman Arkham Knight up until the very first Batmobile section. It was so bad I deleted it and downloaded TLOU instead. Shame, I really enjoyed how good the world looks. But that tank action is miserable and I heard that's bug chunk of the game

Playing TLOU again, I'm kinda surprised how bland and bad looking the environment design is. Towards the beginning you have to climb a fire escape and the ladder looks unbelievably goofy. Like PS1 chunky and blocky. It's really the acting and mocap that's out of this world.

To be fair TLOU is a PS3 game

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Donovan Trip posted:

To be fair TLOU is a PS3 game

True. I was just surprised by the ladder because it was so video gamey looking. Like it belonged in a game with spinning power ups on the floor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thundercracker posted:

True. I was just surprised by the ladder because it was so video gamey looking. Like it belonged in a game with spinning power ups on the floor

I did think it was weird when Joel picked it up and it floated into the air over his head while an arpeggio played

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Interview with Hidetaka Myiyazaki in Gamespot Brazil

Basically just talking about how good Bloodborne is and how the decision to make a Bloodborne sequel is basically totally up to SONY.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Bust Rodd posted:

Interview with Hidetaka Myiyazaki in Gamespot Brazil

Basically just talking about how good Bloodborne is and how the decision to make a Bloodborne sequel is basically totally up to SONY.

Well now we know why Shawn Layden left. Sony doesn't want another Bloodborne.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bb2 on ps5. Runs at 28 fps

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bombadilillo posted:

Bb2 on ps5. Runs at 28 fps

As long as it has ray-traced blood spatter, I'm 100% OK with this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I wish I could delete the part of my brain that remembers Bloodborne....

so I could experience the best game on PS4 again :getin:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wish I could delete the part of my brain that remembers Bloodborne....

so I could experience the best game on PS4 again :getin:

If the eternal sunshine tech was real it would be
5% scorned lovers
5% dead babies
90% gamers chasing that first time

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zipperelli. posted:

they pulled it because the deal ended, they're negotiating a new one

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Policenaut posted:

Looking back it's so obvious that last generation was some kind of insane hellscape and it's a miracle this one turned out as well as it did.

This cannot be overstated. Iraq Console War was dire.

VideoGames posted:

I look forward to playing Control as soon as it is off EGS and onto Steam :D

This makes me happy! VG's first soulslike.

bloodychill posted:

All the Control talk makes me want to play it sooner rather than later. Plus it would make a good October title with the xfiles/supernatural vibe.

You'd prolly dig it. I think I'm gonna grab that season pass.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m going away for a week tomorrow (dad is having surgery) and gently caress it I’m going to TAKE my PS4 just so I can play CONTROL

:black101:

Zipperelli. posted:

I doubt it since my "Real Name" is whatever joke poo poo I feel like changing it to on a weekly basis to flex on my friends and make them believe that I'm some kind of ultimate badass.

Thundercracker posted:

ND put all their effort into animating character models, which is why you can see the looks of terror and rage on their faces when the violence pops off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sometimes I wish I could unlearn all the puzzles to Riven but then realize I'm probably a lot dumber now than when I solved them at the age of twelve.