Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So I finally decided to play for some to see how the new changes did and get my feelings on them. I played about 5~ years in game as Rome and Sparta to see the differences between Republic and Kingdoms. Overall my game as Sparta was much more straightforward which lead to me enjoying it more. Republics felt like there was an insane number of fiddly nobs I had to turn with the knowledge that I'd have to do it all over again when my next character was elected, while at least as a monarchy is per character death, so I felt like I could plan long term with my relations, holdings, etc. It was a pain getting the senate to decide to take out Etruria, but I did manage it no matter how much I was tempted to each the tyranny, while for Sparta it was just picking who isn't guaranteed and isn't a city state to start expanding.

The game overall feels much better, but it's still very bland, with the story/narrative all in your head. Because they just focused on mechanics it's still just paint the map. Kingdoms totally work much better than republics with the mish mash of character stuff because in a Republic there's no long term reason to care about anything because they'll be replaced soon enough. And given that the key nation is a Republic something needs to be done. If you don't want the solution to be playing as a family, I don't know maybe play as a set political party? Something that lets you build up character relations for the long term is key though.

Also unlike EU4 the big nations at the start are just already big and don't have as much internal trouble as they'd anticipated. They are both super stable and rather boring to play. Like say I wanted to play Egypt but didn't want to reunite Alexander's empire, there's nothing really for me to do. I already control all the Egyptian clay, I'd just be developing it. Maybe find some reason to have more vassals or little powers so they have to do something just for gameplays sake. Or have important parts of the nation in the hands of the wrong Diodochi to get some early war between them.

Lastly EU4 style fort sieges suck here even more than the combat. There's just too many long sieges. Also tactics are still just confusing and not very worth it.

Overall it feels like where it should've released, but it's still not good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TorakFade posted:

Yeah we have basically no idea how it will all turn out, it's way too early to start crying foul. Also,

I believe that's a typo and elephants WILL require more food than they can carry, so Hannibal crossing all of spain with his elephants will probably require an ungodly amount of food and supply trains (or conquering some stepstones along the way in order to resupply), and I doubt armies will be able to just march on for a long time with their "base" amount of food especially if some unit types, the best ones like elephants, HI and HC, will require lots more of it.

My Iceni game is going pretty well

But now every other nation in the isles hates my guts so much that they're willing to not go to war with each other, they're all in a defensive league so if I want to keep conquering I'll have to go up against about 100k troops, and I'm too poor to field enough of my own (I can get around 50k total as you see in the screenshot without going into debt, and I'm already maximizing money gained in any way possible so I doubt I'll be able to double that), any tips on how to proceed? My own armies are composed of 4 HI / 4 Archers / 2 chariots each, and while better than the average tribal army, they can't really take on double the troops

You don’t need to actually fight the whole 100k at once. You should be able to roll over at least Wales before the rest of the guys in the north march down and combine forces, and I’ve found it really easy to separate peace people in this game once they’re fully occupied. Make sure you pick an easy wargoal and you can just peace out with whatever you’ve taken once the rest show up and join forces if they’re still too much for you at that point.

Also once you get to the west coast of Wales you can colonise Ireland if you still need more juice to take the rest of the north.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 9, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Eimi posted:

The game overall feels much better, but it's still very bland, with the story/narrative all in your head. Because they just focused on mechanics it's still just paint the map.

Can you give an example of a strategy game that is a counter-example? What does it lack? Feels like there's a lot of things people might mean by that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Can you give an example of a strategy game that is a counter-example? What does it lack? Feels like there's a lot of things people might mean by that.

I'd use CK2, but instead I went and played EU4 recently, a game I'm not the biggest fan of but it felt like it was better at that. Through it's use of age/mission/events EU4 paints a better picture of the world, gives you more feedback on what you're doing, so if you're playing Granad and you re-reconquista there's something beyond the mechanical details of conquering new land to your conquest. As well missions and formables provide goals beyond just conquer everything. Formables in EU4 are something that's very exciting to do, often giving you new ideas, a new flag, and a new color on the map. Formables in IR just change your name. They aren't exciting and there are barely any. All your goals have to be self made.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Eimi posted:

Formables in IR just change your name.

They also change your colour and give you a new government rank, some give you claims too

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

They also change your colour and give you a new government rank, some give you claims too

Is that so? I admit I didn't do any on this patch but last patch I formed Arkadia as Sparta and I still kept Spartan colors and flag. Which was...weird.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Even the current patch is still a bit buggy (don't lose alliances after becoming regional power, can't call allies to arms in the war declaration screen for valid reasons - ex. they have a truce - but you can call them 1 day after declaration and they will gladly ignore any potential showstopping reason, and some more) so eh, it might be a bug

Though nation-forming does feel much less interesting than say eu4... And I sorely lack missions or anything to give some more direction to playthrougs. Game still has a way to go

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TorakFade posted:

Even the current patch is still a bit buggy

Oh yeah for sure. Halfway through a Rome playthrough I've had a few buggy things occur...

* Peacefully integrating the starting feudatory states resulting in the "banish/absorb/crucify" screen as if I'd conquered them.

* Had a "civil war" consisting of a popup saying I'd won a civil war, on top of a popup saying Guy was so upset at not being elected consul that he'd started a civil war, on top of a popup saying a new consul was elected. All popped instantly on the same in-game day.

* Randomly got a message about "my client state" or something, referencing a random small fry power over in the Indian sphere.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Oh right I totally had a bug after I conquered Messenia as Sparta, where I'd get a message every month about the former Greek state of Messenia having a claim on me. Despite them not existing on the map anywhere.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
1st massive Rebellion i had, summary,

Rebels :
- 20% of my provinces are unloyal, mostly because of aggressive expansion
- they split up into 10 new Countries, some small, some big
- they are all in recently conquered lands, that i have just burned/carpet sieged my way through, I even razed all the fortresses when i annexed them.
- they are all tribal, so gets 3 chiefs with retinues about 5k each and a free fortress in their capital.
- this happened exactly 40ish months after i annexed them
- poor population just forgot what just happened to them.

Me :
- 5 chiefs with 15k retinues, mostly veterans from the following wars i just had.
- 150k horse archers outside the retinues, sitting right outside/inside the rebellious provinces i just annexed.
- sitting on 420k reserve manpower
- have positive income, no problems in the nation whatsoever(except aggressive expansion), is at peace.

Oh no, what will i do.... this is like telling the HUNS to come a 2nd time....
Maybe rebellions should happen when the host nation is at some sort of trouble? like civil war/exhausted manpower from war against a rival giant? or at least when I'm at war...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The game tends to be a bit too easy at the moment, yeah.

I'm pretty decent at PDX grand strategies by now, but I am by no means an expert, and after the first few games the only thing stopping me is people / alliances with more than double my army or just being attacked from all directions by everybody around, which unless you start next to the Big Dogs as a small puppy or in the middle of a big thunderdome (Gaul, Iberia) is pretty rare

Also keeping people loyal / internal situations under control is pretty easy too, I've been maintaining 70+ loyalty on most important characters effortlessly. I think I've felt way more limited by the drat Senate refusing to let me conquer a lovely, easy target in Republics than by disloyal chiefs in tribes, or by threats of civil war or revolts in general.

But at times defensive leagues, guarantees or alliance networks become unbreakable iron pacts that are borderline impossible to overcome ... which I guess might kinda be as intended, but if you reach a stalemate like in my Iceni game where everybody around you is in a defensive league so unable to attack eachother and forcing me to conquer half of Gaul just to get enough money to field more troops than them is kinda crazy, I mean there should be a chance of infighting, people betraying each other, etc so that situations don't get locked like a Mexican standoff.

In general I believe the game would benefit from more dynamic politics and/or more willingness by the AI to bend the knee to an overwhelmingly strong neighbour just to get help conquering/defending against their other similar-sized neighbours, as often happened in history... while in the current situation there is literally zero interest from the AI to seek diplo relations with the player unless they're similarly sized (alliance, defensive league), no one is even trying to offer eg. Rome tribute to not be roflstomped even when they KNOW their head is next on the chopping block

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 9, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Eimi posted:

I'd use CK2, but instead I went and played EU4 recently, a game I'm not the biggest fan of but it felt like it was better at that. Through it's use of age/mission/events EU4 paints a better picture of the world, gives you more feedback on what you're doing, so if you're playing Granad and you re-reconquista there's something beyond the mechanical details of conquering new land to your conquest. As well missions and formables provide goals beyond just conquer everything. Formables in EU4 are something that's very exciting to do, often giving you new ideas, a new flag, and a new color on the map. Formables in IR just change your name. They aren't exciting and there are barely any. All your goals have to be self made.

I see. Yes, you're right. I'm more of a EU4 than CK2 guy cause optimizing consumes me and it's much harder to do in CK2. And I feel like CK2 doesn't tell me as much about my situation as EU4 which has much more personalized events based on religion, georgaphy, ideas and relations. In CK2 it feels too random, like any ruler can have a wench throwing herself at him giving a chance to become lustful. I think it's also cause most of EU4 countries have relations to modern entities while in I:R it's hard to relate to most of those countries unless you're really into that place and period. My homeland is not on the map in any form and if I were European or Middle Eastern I'd only have geographical connection to what's happening (unless I'm Italian or Jewish or Armenian, I guess).

And yes, it looks buggy, like a lot of new features not having sound or confirmations or popups. Which would work if it was an older game, but in I:R they went out of their way to give unique sounds to almost every release action, so it looks very uneven.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 10, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There must be an option to display the year in in BC/AD... right?

Am I blind?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

There must be an option to display the year in in BC/AD... right?

Am I blind?

There ain't.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arrhythmia posted:

There ain't.

:ughh:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

but you can hover on the date and the tooltip will tell you the BCE date! :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:goofy:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

its to enhance your ~immersion~

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That's it, I'm phoning the Paradox office and demanding an explanation from that guy who sounds like the villain in Jupiter Rising.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

There was a mod that did it, back at release, but it didn’t change the dates anywhere except on the timer so it didn’t work so hot in practice.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I can swear I saw German pre-release video where the dates were written as "475 AUC/290 BC" or something. Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWbg8916NQ&t=692s

So they either removed this feature or it's on for some locales?.. It's unlikely he used a mod in an unreleased game.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Dumb question probably but is the game worth getting now that Cicero is out? I have a lot of hours on EU4 and CK2 and enjoy them both for what it's worth.

Is there any ETA on the next patch?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Finnish Flasher posted:

Dumb question probably but is the game worth getting now that Cicero is out? I have a lot of hours on EU4 and CK2 and enjoy them both for what it's worth.

It’s still a little barebones and there are a few bugs, but I’ve been having fun with it having played a few campaigns now

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Finnish Flasher posted:

I'm enjoying it. Population management has improved greatly, as does settlement development. It still needs a bit more of meat on the bone but it's a nice game already.

No idea about next patch.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Next patch, 1.3 Livy, SHOULD drop before end of the year. So if you're on the fence, wait another little while. Might get a better game, and maybe with a Christmas sale discount too ...

1.2 is what I'd expect a Paradox game to be at release, honestly: decent but a little barebones and with a few noticeable big bugs, and still a lot of fun if you're into the time period / idea of the game / grand strategy games in general

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Waiting for 1.3 and a potential christmas sale seems like a good idea, even if it's only in the 10% region. I can always play EU4 before christmas.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So my dumbass idea on how to improve republics that is probably entirely incapable of being implemented, is that you select one of four families corresponding to one of the four useful parties. You either start with control of that party or can get it via investing and character actions. When that party is in control of the Republic, you have access to all Republic funds/troops, etc, playing as you would now. When your party isn't in control via one of the two consuls, you just use your entire family funds, meaning there's a strong incentive when you control the Republic to give your family jobs, holding, governor titles, etc. Using the entire family fund together should mean you can still field some kind of army and could still wage private wars, ala Caesar. Later as you build up your power base you could buy control of other parties, controlling two could be expensive but doable, while three is basically you've won the game territory. This way given there are two consuls you could guarantee control of the Republic.

Now why I'd prefer this way to the current set up is that it more accurately represents the conflict between personal and governmental interest that marked a lot of this period of history, and has you making decisions that are good for your family or good for the Republic. As well this would allow more long term use of character interactions instead of having to shift gears every 5 years. As well it would do something interesting with personal wealth and holdings beyond making them invisible assets that only truly matter if the character is disloyal.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well that’s kind of annoying. I got all the conquering and colonising for Perfidious Albion done with a few years to spare, but turns out you also need to be a kingdom, which requires 50 civilisation in your capital. Not sure how that’s even possible before moon year 500 as a tribal considering that afaik there’s no way to get it that high without a few tech levels.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Well that’s kind of annoying. I got all the conquering and colonising for Perfidious Albion done with a few years to spare, but turns out you also need to be a kingdom, which requires 50 civilisation in your capital. Not sure how that’s even possible before moon year 500 as a tribal considering that afaik there’s no way to get it that high without a few tech levels.

seems like you forgot the hard part of it :)

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Is there a way to boost the loyalty of provinces that are unhappy?
After beating down the 1st rebellion, the people insist to rebel again, even doh it was a smashing victory for me.
or a way to just burn down the settlement and wipe out the people there... there should be a lesson here somewhere...

3 years after 10 nation rebelled & reconquered. they want another go at it.
It's just that Rome joined in, and attacked me also, and lost. which took me the last 3 years to win after the last rebellious nation got slaughtered.
So, now I'm finally at peace again, and the rebellion "ticker" just started again.

Just, I have now Gained another 100k manpower, from 420 --> 510
and I have now 200k seasoned veteran horse archer/heavy cavalry army, just itching to get into action again.
Oh no, what will i do.
but there just isn't a way to punish the rebels harder, so will probably happen again :/

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Descar posted:

After beating down the 1st rebellion, the people insist to rebel again, even doh it was a smashing victory for me.
or a way to just burn down the settlement and wipe out the people there... there should be a lesson here somewhere...

It's just that Rome joined in, and attacked me also, and lost. which took me the last 3 years to win after the last rebellious nation got slaughtered.
So, now I'm finally at peace again, and the rebellion "ticker" just started again.

and I have now 200k seasoned veteran horse archer/heavy cavalry army, just itching to get into action again.
Oh no, what will i do.
but there just isn't a way to punish the rebels harder, so will probably happen again :/

Build light infantry stacks and assign them to the governor until you have zero unrest. Also remember to check your governor's corruption every now and then, corrupt governors provide massive penalties to province loyalty.

Weebus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2019

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Pravus uploaded a run on 1.2 a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNn7c31H7NjkB2mUn6iQ9Rk1MdzTxW0R9
In short, build a city in your capital and expand it like 5 times (this takes around 12 years total). Together with forming Prittania it should be enough.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yeah I managed to break the mega British isles defensive league and formed Pritania, conquering the rest of the north was super easy and now it's taking me ages to colonize Ireland (any way to speed it up besides moving tons and tons of pops from the mainland or other places you colonized before?) but I have already been a monarchy for a couple decades in 570auc or so (iceni get a civilization bonus and I went all in on centralization early on, enacted all centralization laws, built cities and used the province improvement that raises civilization cap a bunch of times on my capital province ... that might have helped)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 12, 2019

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Yeah I managed to break the mega British isles defensive league and formed Pritania, conquering the rest of the north was super easy and now it's taking me ages to colonize Ireland (any way to speed it up besides moving tons and tons of pops from the mainland?) but I have already been a monarchy for a couple decades in 570auc or so (iceni get a civilization bonus and I went all in on centralization early on, enacted all centralization laws, built cities and used the province improvement that raises civilization cap a bunch of times on my capital province ... that might have helped)

You can just throw money at the problem and make a conga line of the same 10 pops making a tour of Ireland.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

mmkay posted:

You can just throw money at the problem and make a conga line of the same 10 pops making a tour of Ireland.

Yeah I thought so, it's not like I have better things to spend money on anyway and my tech is still bad so inventions are not the money sink they are for countries that already start civilized. I really enjoyed England as a "take it at your own pace" game, feels like a better tutorial game than Crete honestly unless you're completely new to Grand strategy games

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

mmkay posted:

Pravus uploaded a run on 1.2 a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNn7c31H7NjkB2mUn6iQ9Rk1MdzTxW0R9
In short, build a city in your capital and expand it like 5 times (this takes around 12 years total). Together with forming Prittania it should be enough.

Yeah I’ve been working on another attempt. This time I went with Iceni who start with a city and a 5% bonus to civilisation instead of Brigantia who I used last time. It’s actually pretty easy to get to 50 when you have a city from the start and use the urban planning button. Should get it wrapped up tonight after work

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Descar posted:

Oh no, what will i do.

Ways to boost province loyalty:
- governor stats + troops
- there's some building that gives province loyalty
- change the governor policy
- if the provinces around it is local you can sometimes fix it by moving pops around

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I think your best bet in that situation is to just sit tight and wait for your AE to tick down, all your off-culture off-religion areas are gonna keep rebelling until it’s under control. Then convert them before you rack up too much more AE

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I’ve been working on another attempt. This time I went with Iceni who start with a city and a 5% bonus to civilisation instead of Brigantia who I used last time. It’s actually pretty easy to get to 50 when you have a city from the start and use the urban planning button. Should get it wrapped up tonight after work

Boom, finished with a little over 8 years on the clock. Fun achievement (once I read the requirements for Albion properly and planned accordingly) aside from the colonising phase at the end. I'd finished conquering and adopted aristocracy by like 485ish so the last few years was just waiting for cash to tick in so I could push a gang of slaves around Ireland and that poo poo was tedious.

Kind of funny that Paradox rated this achievement as harder than a world conquest, I still have no idea how you can possibly expand fast enough to conquer the map without getting bogged down fighting nonstop rebellions. Most of the map is off-culture even for the Greeks.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well this is rude