Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
set the oil fields on fire IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1182355012233650176?s=20

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

freckle posted:

The Kurds already did I think

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
start bombing turkish tanks and soldiers

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

goodog posted:

So uh, what's going to happen to Kurds and pro-Kurdish political parties in Turkey?

They're 15-20% of the population and I can't imagine they're too happy about the "demographic correction". Is Erdogan going to say with-us-or-against-us and declare any Turkish Kurd remotely critical of this a 5th column?

The current situation is already horrible for pro-Kurdish political parties, they just pick up the mayors and throw them in jail for "supporting terrorism." That's been going on way before the operation. I'm sure it'll get worse, but it's always been so bad. You can't really protest the military.

Erdogan is in an interesting position if he calls snap elections soon. The new system means they need to get 50%+. To kick him out, the opposition needs to piece together CHP (mainstream big-tent opposition), HDP (Kurds + leftists), IYI (anti-Erdogan nationalists), and probably the people who support the Babacan/Davutoglu "new parties" (neoliberals + Never Trümp guys). Ekrem Imamoglu is the right kind of faceless grey slate to run against him and get that weird mess together IMO, but the timing could be right for an election, it's a jingoistic country.

Here's Imamoglu supporting the operation

https://twitter.com/ekrem_imamoglu/status/1181946924112457729

and here's Imamoglu commemorating the Kurdish/leftist victims of the ISIS bomb attack 4 years ago

https://twitter.com/ekrem_imamoglu/status/1182264720100925441

Erdogan used to engage in a peace process and negotiate directly with the PKK, but it would leak votes out of his left (pro-AKP Kurds looking at the HDP as a normal political party they can vote for, not an enemy of the state) and his right (pro-AKP fascists just switching to the MHP). So there won't be a Big Pivot, but I still think it's because of coalitions and politics, not just wanting to see the world burn, in the society

Fat Lowtax has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Oct 10, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

*shaking his head and jingling the necklace of human fingerbones around his neck* I am ashamed for the first time in my career

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fat Lowtax posted:

Erdogan used to engage in a peace process and negotiate directly with the PKK, but it would leak votes out of his left (pro-AKP Kurds looking at the HDP as a normal political party they can vote for, not an enemy of the state) and his right (pro-AKP fascists just switching to the MHP). So there won't be a Big Pivot, but I still think it's because of coalitions and politics, not just wanting to see the world burn, in the society

Yeah, he did the big peace process thing because a lot of Kurds were super conservative, but then there was Syria and the KPP aligned parties got super popular and blew up his majority. He's still mad about it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

loving hell

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

saw that video of the syriac christian militia praying before going to fight the FSA. looks like nobody is in any doubt what turkey and the jihadis plan is for the people in region. loving hell, this is horrifying.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i'm struggling to understand how the syrian government not helping the SDF makes any sense here. turkey are just gonna be allowed to roll in then add all those newly freed jihadis to their proxy ranks? and surely the risk then is that other sleeper cells elsewhere see this as weakness on the state's part and take the opportunity to jump start the fighting again.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Reddy/status/1182375257887387649

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

i'm struggling to understand how the syrian government not helping the SDF makes any sense here. turkey are just gonna be allowed to roll in then add all those newly freed jihadis to their proxy ranks? and surely the risk then is that other sleeper cells elsewhere see this as weakness on the state's part and take the opportunity to jump start the fighting again.

The Syrian army at this point is held together by spit and shoestrings. The Turks would roll over them if Russia isn't willing to back them to the hilt.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

genericnick posted:

The Syrian army at this point is held together by spit and shoestrings. The Turks would roll over them if Russia isn't willing to back them to the hilt.

this is why i think people itt and elsewhere are right to suspect the US hasn't "walked away" at all but rather turkey is launching an invasion on behalf of the US and pretty soon they'll be talking up a march to damascus

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

gh0stpinballa posted:

this is why i think people itt and elsewhere are right to suspect the US hasn't "walked away" at all but rather turkey is launching an invasion on behalf of the US and pretty soon they'll be talking up a march to damascus

See...I could actually buy that argument, that this is the real plan behind this...if US president wasn't a complete idiot that impulsively listens to foreign dictators like Erdogan, who stroke his ego via a phone call, over his own generals lol.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

gh0stpinballa posted:

if that was the case it would be quite a coup for the notoriously leaky Trump White House

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Turkey can barely handle the SDF while maintaining acceptable losses, they're not looking to also take on Assad and the IRGC.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Turkey only needs a way to get rid of its refugee & salafi problem. They don't want to try and run Syria.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Conspiratiorist posted:

Turkey can barely handle the SDF while maintaining acceptable losses, they're not looking to also take on Assad and the IRGC.

and wrt trump also:

i'm not saying anyone is thinking straight here, or even that trump is necessarily even aware of this plan. it's pure conjecture on my part ofc but would it really be that crazy? this is hellworld. it could be as simple as a few pentagon goons saying tell our guys to back off and let's see if turkey and salafi pals pass the audition.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

They absolutely won't go to Damascus. If they wanted to they could have done it years ago and all of NATO would have cheered.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

genericnick posted:

They absolutely won't go to Damascus. If they wanted to they could have done it years ago and all of NATO would have cheered.

turkey per se don't need to, if all you're looking to do at this point is fuel more chaos to further balkanize the country and have a more reliable/profitable client than the SDF holding NE syria, it's easy to arm up the 1000s of salafis you free from those prisons and send them to stir up poo poo in government held areas again, you can keep doing this at minimal overhead for as lkng as you want. heck they have been. this is just the natural extention, turkey give you an extra step removed from the dirt.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I mean as far as I can see the AKP's motivation here is that they are 1) mad that their great plan of a permanent majority with conservative Kurds blew up in their face 2) stirring up nationalist favour to paper over internal dissent and policy failures 3) get rid of the refugees.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

trying to come up with a joke about how hating Turkey is ruining my thanksgiving weekend

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wild

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1182422178555465729

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
President Dealz can't broker a peace with Turkey, after he caused their invasion? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Too bad he gutted the diplomatic side of the govt. like a hot knife through butter.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1182290211369340929?s=20
Qatar is backing it's BFF Turkey. Turkey has historical hatred towards the YPG, but it's notable in recent years that Saudi Arabia and the UAE have been pledging funds to develop the parts of Syria held by the SDF. It makes Bibi's statements about the invasion make a bit more sense too, as it's not just for easy political points or a desire to see a Zionist friendly Kurdistan. The SDF was probably seen as a counterweight to the Turkey-Qatar bloc that the other Gulf monarchies and their Israeli allies have been in a spat with.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Turkey only needs a way to get rid of its refugee & salafi problem. They don't want to try and run Syria.

Idk there's still a good bit of Ottoman Syria outside of their control

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

this after hearing him bleat non stop for years about how great the Kurds are and how we need to not abandon our allies in Syria makes my blood boil. Jesus what a little sniveling worm. thank gently caress I left his garbage state years ago.

if I see him on tv talking about how much he supports my comrades I’m going to throw a brick at the screen

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Death to America, death to Turkey

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

russian pranksters saving us all one prank at a time, the real woke zoo crew

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Idk there's still a good bit of Ottoman Syria outside of their control

drat the ottomans got a good spread for rome 2 DeI
Heavy infantry from Greece, horse skirmishers from numidia and skythia, shock infantry from thrace and Syrian war elephants. They're ready to take on Rome imo once they get thorax reforms

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Whaat? I thought Dear Leader would crash their economy if they were naughty

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/aPebbleInTheSky/status/1182264127810674688

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

freckle posted:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
So this is what it feels like to live through the collapse of an empire

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This does make the new Modern Warfare way more loving funny.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1182542260812075008?s=19

Tic for tac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

black male dead after bullet from police gun enters his body