Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Rarity posted:

Claimed there is no antisemitism in the Labour party (there is some, it's just not as much as general society or the Tory party in particular)

When did he say this? I thought it was the "too apologetic" thing which was 100% correct both now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Rarity posted:

Claimed there is no antisemitism in the Labour party (there is some, it's just not as much as general society or the Tory party in particular)

he literally said no such thing

this is what he said:

"The party that’s done more to stand up to racism is now being demonised as a racist, bigoted party. I’ve got to say I think our party’s response has been partly responsible for that because in my opinion… we’ve backed off far too much, we’ve given too much ground, we’ve been too apologetic."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

brian posted:

how exactly do you imagine a minority but correct opinion on party strategy propagating to the leadership without the involvement of mps, genuinely curious here

Generally that's supposed to be what conference is for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bape Culture posted:

James Dyson is a oval office

Finally something people can agree on.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Generally that's supposed to be what conference is for.

lol are you even a labour party member

edit: to clarify, no motion even appears at conference without significant CLP support

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The civil rights movement was at the same time as the vietnam war, you also had lots of student groups bombing stuff, like the weathermen.

There were lots of concessions around this time because the US establishment were terrified of society collapsing, it was a sop to Cerberus. Thing is, you only get the sop you want if you are suitably Cerberus enough to for the scale of the concession.

The postwar consensus in the UK was the same, they had a large group of motivated men who were well trained in their ability to make war coming home to ruins.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In case you haven't picked up on the theme I don't like or trust MPs and I especially do not like them seeing themselves as the most important part of the party.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

so you join in on the clear attempt to silence/discredit the one MP who campaigns for open selections??????????!?!??!?!?!?!?!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All I see is another MP convinced that their right to be an MP supercedes all other concerns.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm not gonna comment on the case more than I expect political candidates to be wary of poo poo they say being easily quoted against them. He, himself seems to be pretty self important/centred and self aggrandising in the jessphlips way and it fucks me right off him

Neither of which are as important to me as the enjoyment of this awesome sandwich, ham and strong cheddar on thick, fresh white, with enough strong mustard to wet the eyes a little

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

brian posted:

fyi chris said what he said at a momentum branch members event and it was covertly recorded, not at a press conference

this entire defence of blatant injustice remains fundamentally awful and lame and it's very apparent in every post saying he was at fault that the authors of said posts did not read anything about what actually happened from people in the room

I mean, if you want a realist analysis of why his head rolled, it is this: early adopter or not, he was never really that useful to the Corbyn project. As the project has become more successful in the party, he is no longer as useful as he once was. That's why "smears and lies and dirty tricks" was OK in 2017 but "too apologetic about antisemitism" was not in 2019. He was always toxic in an openly-briefing-the-press way, he just outlived his usefulness and, even when given the opportunity to serve as a shadow junior minister, instead burned his bridges. Well, if he wants to be on the outside throwing leftier-than-thou rocks at the windows, he shouldn't be entirely shocked if someone lobs rocks back - if you make your colleague's lives into "Could you explain your thoughts on your party colleague's remarks this morning" hell, you are going to make enemies.

We know there is a substantial faction in the Corbyn camp, Lansman notably amongst them, who feel that everything A/S related is a liability and that the appropriate response is to bury it, and now that the shad cab is no longer desperately scrambling for loyalists, Williamson can be dispensed with. Still, the final straw was probably trying to build bridges to that former Momentum vice-chair - there's no point where "this is good for Labour at large" can be credibly believed at that point, it's absolutely about gunning for not just intraparty enemies but intra-left-of-the-party enemies, and unsurprisingly the party disciplinary process, even if entirely controlled by the party left, now found some grounds to give him the boot

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 10, 2019

brian
Sep 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

All I see is another MP convinced that their right to be an MP supercedes all other concerns.

lol and what evidence do you have for that assertion, gut instinct?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

brian posted:

lol and what evidence do you have for that assertion, gut instinct?

The court case to try and undo his suspension might have been a tip off.

Phrasing your own job as some ideological war might give the impression of an over inflated ego.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

The court case to try and undo his suspension might have been a tip off.

i genuinely give up at this point, you'll literally say anything to protect your thread cred/ego including that arguing something a judge ruled was illegitimate and illegal was not something that should be appealed

edit: have fun man this is real lame

brian fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 10, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe I just actually don't see this mouthy weirdo as being useful to anything except himself??

Saying publicly, as an MP, that you think the labour party has been too apologetic about antisemitism allegations is loving stupid and makes him a liability as a representative of the party, and rather than accept that he's willing to do anything and everything to keep himself in the limelight so he can be even more of a liability. I don't think he adds anything.

loving, I'm more careful about approaching the subject than that when I'm talking to someone outside this thread and I'm just some random rear end in a top hat.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 10, 2019

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Labour Party was too apologetic about the 2008 financial crisis imo

e: Gordon Brown was too apologetic about calling out that bigot

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Prescott is hero tbh.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Williamson was right but he shouldn't have said it in public is a pretty stupid position. loving :decorum:

sebzilla posted:

The Labour Party was too apologetic about the 2008 financial crisis imo

e: Gordon Brown was too apologetic about calling out that bigot

Hell yeah he was

Remmember when she was interviewed in the papers after the incident and revealed all her lovely opinions but the media narrative of 'so much for the tolerant left, heh' didn't change

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is the line between decorum and "basic loving communication skills"

Because it is entirely possible to say something so badly you mangle your own loving point.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Collateral posted:

Prescott is hero tbh.

Best person in the Blair government who wasn't murdered by M16 up a mountain?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

What is the line between decorum and "basic loving communication skills"

Because it is entirely possible to say something so badly you mangle your own loving point.

As expertly demonstrated by your recent posting

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeNayna/status/1181902100902617089

What the actual gently caress

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

TheRat posted:

As expertly demonstrated by your recent posting

Having a completely normal one, I see.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/RiaFay9/status/1182231608679702528

Whether you find this response helpful is up to you.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

This girls look like they’re having partial seizures at the end there.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

art students

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1182243928872865795
Straight into our collective veins :getin:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like it. Good on them.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I don't understand people expressing things through art, and I don't like it!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

We can weaponise this. It'll do the same to gammons as that gramophone music does to the aliens in Mars Attacks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ratjaculation posted:

I don't understand people expressing things through art, and I don't like it!

:cloud:

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I walked through Trafalgar Square today and hung out for a bit. I mean despite this thread I find it hard to dislike a bunch of people who can occupy a central part of London for several days for a good cause no matter what there methods, unless they are literal fash obviously.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

They should do the OA dance, that’ll sort it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

I walked through Trafalgar Square today and hung out for a bit. I mean despite this thread I find it hard to dislike a bunch of people who can occupy a central part of London for several days for a good cause no matter what there methods, unless they are literal fash obviously.

I mean if you were to think fascism was a good cause then you would already have been Mosin-Nagant'd

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
In genuinely positive news for the Labour party, a senior civil servant has just taken a job in the leader's office.

This news might not mean much to anyone, but I'm really proud to say I've known Helene for many years. She's a formidable operator, been a force for good in the civil service for a very long time, and her personal politics are so aligned with UKMT she might as well be posting here already.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

IKR, that's blatantly Trafalgar Square, almost a mile from the City of London.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mousepractice posted:

In genuinely positive news for the Labour party, a senior civil servant has just taken a job in the leader's office.

This news might not mean much to anyone, but I'm really proud to say I've known Helene for many years. She's a formidable operator, been a force for good in the civil service for a very long time, and her personal politics are so aligned with UKMT she might as well be posting here already.

Oh well that is good to hear! Always nice to have people working together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mousepractice posted:

The article is doing her a disservice then by tying her to the government :v:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The OA Season 3 is looking a bit lower budget than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

OwlFancier posted:

The article is doing her a disservice then by tying her to the government :v:

That's why I wanted to highlight it! There's all kinds of ways this story could be spun, but the fact is she's a comrade and a loving boss, so it's all good