Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Powerpoints. I don't like making them. I don't like viewing them. I don't like how many grown rear end professional adults think public speaking means "stand in front of your powerpoint and read off it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
On the opposite technological extreme: whiteboards are worthless. None of them "dry erase" for poo poo, the markers always go dry. They squeak.

If you're going to do a manual presentation, at least invest in a good chalk board. You can't really mess up with a chalkboard.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chalk boards rule yeah and its idiotic that theyre almost gone from the classroom. I guess a whiteboard lets you project things but i also hate powerpoints, especially with lists and poo poo

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whiteboards don't leave chalk dust all over everything or make that horrible squealing noise.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's easy to get some more use out of an old whiteboard marker by just letting it soak some water out of a cup for a second into the tip

trying to use that last little nubbin of chalk loving sucks because gently caress getting chalk all over your hands

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

bad news for you about breathing in chalk dust such as from cleaning the erasers

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Wash erasers with water. There, solved that for you.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

When I cant tell if a person agrees or is just being a suck up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

bad news for you about breathing in chalk dust such as from cleaning the erasers

You should never clean your own erasers. That's what students are for.

and the markers running out isn't the most annoying part. Spending like 2 minutes spritzing the board and cleaning off maybe a third of the residue, just enough to make your writing visible, every single time it is used is the most annoying part. Then everyone complains about the cleaner smell, or god forbid you run out of cleaner and have to postpone the meeting.

An adequately stocked chalk board is always 100% superior. Don't like the "nubbin"? throw it out, get a new piece. don't like the dust? chalk gloves.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Oct 10, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Dear upstairs neighbors: How the hell do you make your toilet overflow twice in about a month to the point that the apartments below you get their ceilings ruined, and where did you learn that the appropriate solution is to just throw some towels down and go to work without calling anyone? Why am I the one who has to wake up the maintenance guy at 5 in the morning to clean up your mess?

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hope they get evicted (although they should definitely be responsible for the damages), but I don't know, the landlord needs to call their parents or something and let them know their child is awful at living alone in an apartment.

we live in a society complex

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lack of fibre in their diet, or their toilet is broke and their landlord is poo poo or a bastard and won’t pay to fix it. Or maybe they are afraid to ask for repairs because that would label them as ‘troublesome tenants’.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

*lukas haas in mars attacks voice*

I was thinking maybe instead of whiteboards, we could use overhead projectors, because it’s better in a lot of ways.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

The people whose lifestyle and career consists entirely of orbiting their car, slamming each door in succession, over and over again, directly outside my house, forever

I live in an apartment complex that seems to consist of about 60%-70% families with young children that are transitioning into home ownership. So other than a bunch of kids running amok at times (and the massive herd at Halloween) it's fairly quiet. One of my neighbors has an overly loud, fancy car that only appears on weekends to rev the engine when I'm enjoying a nice nap. It never loving fails.

Funniest thing I've ever seen with a whiteboard was when I was in high school. Our teacher decided that my remedial science class could be left unattended for a period while she went to do something for another classroom.

One of the dumber jocks was drawing on the whiteboard and decided he needed some more colors to draw a monster. He pulled out a pack of permanent markers, that me and the other punks spotted and started tittering about. After finishing his masterpiece he labeled it with our teacher's name.

Queue a few minutes before our teacher was to return, and he pulls up the eraser, and it doesn't work. The look on his face was so priceless, it was definitely worth the punishment.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Pet Peeve: door-to-door real estate agents.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
video games with dogs as enemies you have to kill. jesus loving christ i feel so terrible every time even though i know they're not real

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i grew up in a tourist town in new england and holy poo poo i loving haaaaaaaaaaaaaate when people here are lovely to tourists trying to communicate. like gently caress you they're putting in a genuine effort and they're guests in our community treat them with some loving respect. i spent 3 years working in a cafe in the waterfront where we got a ton of tourists and jesus god it was always the locals and american/canadian tourists that were the rudest assholes. ive only encountered one or two really rude foreign tourists living in that town for 18 years of my life.

also holy poo poo just gently caress people who treat people with accents/poor english badly. like gently caress you they're trying and they probably feel incredibly self conscious. PLUS, it's incredibly loving difficult to learn a new language, especially english, if you're some random fuckwad from a small town who's never even tried to learn another language maybe you shouldn't be such a judgmental rear end in a top hat

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
New York State just enacted a thing where every year every employer has to do this whole thing about sexual harassment and all that and the state provided a 45 minute long video you can watch to help you learn about what counts as sexual harassment in this state and yesterday my immediate supervisor watched it and his take away that he wanted to complain about here at work was that it is considered harassment to intentionally misgender a trans person. He knows im trans and he wanted to spend the morning complaining to me about how unreasonable he thinks it is that the state protects me from intentional mistreatment.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Helith posted:

Lack of fibre in their diet, or their toilet is broke and their landlord is poo poo or a bastard and won’t pay to fix it. Or maybe they are afraid to ask for repairs because that would label them as ‘troublesome tenants’.

Likely the landlord is entering their apartment while they're out and clogging up the toilet on purpose.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

InediblePenguin posted:

New York State just enacted a thing where every year every employer has to do this whole thing about sexual harassment and all that and the state provided a 45 minute long video you can watch to help you learn about what counts as sexual harassment in this state and yesterday my immediate supervisor watched it and his take away that he wanted to complain about here at work was that it is considered harassment to intentionally misgender a trans person. He knows im trans and he wanted to spend the morning complaining to me about how unreasonable he thinks it is that the state protects me from intentional mistreatment.

What is with these fuckers seeking out the subject of their disdain to complain to? As if they don't have a support network of bigots already?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kanine posted:

video games with dogs as enemies you have to kill. jesus loving christ i feel so terrible every time even though i know they're not real

Yeah in Carmageddon id always spare the cows. Grannies dads and children could all get hosed though

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah in Carmageddon id always spare the cows. Grannies dads and children could all get hosed though

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
just admit you hate fat people and think they're subhuman and deserve to die, you don't have to try to hide it underneath concern trolling about their health

for real just be honest so we don't have to play this game anymore

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Kanine posted:

for real just be honest so we don't have to play this game anymore

Hell, if you hate any group of people, just let us know. It's not like you'll ever suffer any consequences for doing so, and the rest of us can quicker figure out if we should bother engaging.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is stupid, but: when I pick an emoticon based on its appearance in the list and then it looks extremely different on the app I'm using.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

On the opposite end of the spectrum, people who treat any legitimate research finding that indicates obesity as a factor in the development of a disease as simple bigotry. Thanks for thinking the work my organization does is fake!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Brawnfire posted:

This is stupid, but: when I pick an emoticon based on its appearance in the list and then it looks extremely different on the app I'm using.

I hate this too. I also hate that every tongue-sticking-out emoji out there is all cute and zany, with a big stupid smile. I've used :P for years to mean a dry "bleh, can you believe it" and the emoticon versions don't convey that at all.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Killingyouguy! posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, people who treat any legitimate research finding that indicates obesity as a factor in the development of a disease as simple bigotry. Thanks for thinking the work my organization does is fake!

im totally cool with medical research! i just loving hate how every fat person (especially the women) i know has to deal with a huge amount of people using "health concerns" as a way to shame them who don't actually give a single poo poo about their health

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That Santa’s bloodthirsty march continues unabated no matter how many holidays bravely give their lives

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Helith posted:

My diet is questionable to put it lightly and I have never in my life actually overflowed a toilet. Clogged it? Sure, but the water has never gone past the brim.

I don't think this is a case of a stingy landlord, considering he keeps having to pay the maintenance guy emergency overtime hours to come out once a month to replace all my and the other downstairs neighbor's roof tiles. Plus today he had to call an emergency plumber which i'm sure is much, much more expensive than it would have been to replace it in a less "toilet water wrecking other apartments" scenario. According to them, he never responded to their calls/emails/notes asking what happened the first time so they didn't know if it was just an accident or if there was something mechanical wrong. Besides, they are already probably very high on the "troublesome tenant" list - i've seen a few notices lately of failure to pay rent on their door threatening to sue/evict.

In any case, I don't think it's too unreasonable to be peeved by having a very non-zero chance of waking up to a deluge of toilet water pouring out of my ceiling at 5 in the morning/whenever my neighbor needs to take their apparently monumental craps (probably looks similar to my posting, I know).

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
It shouldn't even be possible to overflow a toilet no matter how clogged it is unless it's a uniquely terrible design or they are intentionally sabotaging it for fun.

Source: I take consistently massive dumps due to only pooping once every 2-3 days and when I completely clog the hell out of the toilet there's still no way to make the water go past the level of the flush passages.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My diet is questionable to put it lightly and I have never in my life actually overflowed a toilet. Clogged it? Sure, but the water has never gone past the brim.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
People who push the close door button on elevators. I don't know why you being an impatient gently caress annoys me so much. Maybe it's because pressing that button does jack poo poo. Maybe it's because a good 80% of the time you do it right after you got on. Which means the journey would have been a lot quicker if we didn't have to stop for your rear end to get on in the first place.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Kanine posted:

im totally cool with medical research! i just loving hate how every fat person (especially the women) i know has to deal with a huge amount of people using "health concerns" as a way to shame them who don't actually give a single poo poo about their health

I have never been very fat and it must suck considering that it was quite hard for me to go down from chubby to... not chubby. I am legitimately concerned that the habits of people in my family will lead to them developing serious health issues and if it gets worse might lead to missing many moments with them that I otherwise could have had. That is as far from ungenuine as it gets and I guess I give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that is the case for other people unless I see them openly mocking fat people.

I think I have gained a couple of pet peeves from having personally gotten results and seeing people make every excuse in the book or use bullshit science explanations to not improve. If you are just lazy, cool. That is who you are. So am I when it comes to various other things and we all have massive flaws. Just don't make up BS.

1. Someone asked me how I lost so much weight and I said carrots, as a joke. To which they explained that they read that carrots was really bad for you.

2. Running is bad for you, it ruins you knees. Sure if you don't do proper warmup, if you don't get proper shoes. Besides you can use a bike or go swimming. Gym is pretty fun too. Just make it work somehow, no excuses.

3. Starvation mode myth. So no reason to eat less because "your body will burn less calories to keep you alive meaning you get no results". Except that study was done on people you know "ACTUALLY STARVING". Tried to explain that to my family, but maintaining their ego is more important than knowing stuff.

4. People using the word diet. That is you admitting its temporary and that you will go back to your old ways. Stop encouraging yourself and other people to do it as a fad. It's about your health and confidence. Its going to take time, but it's worth it.

Midig has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Oct 10, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Work related peeve; I hate using hand scanners that are set to always be scanning, instead of when I pull the trigger. I don't know why some soulless monsters (who should be arrested, beaten with reeds, optionally done by an actor who has played a character named Reed/Reid) like having their little scanning devices scan off random barcodes, the moon, their faces, the thoughts of an errant nearby puppy, but it needs to stop, gah.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
every time i tell my parents or any other boomers im never going to have kids they're like "ooh well maybe youll change your mind"

no, gently caress you. im not going to pass on my chronic mental and physical health problems, and gently caress you if you think it's moral to bring a person into this god forsaken hellworld we live in

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Kanine posted:

every time i tell my parents or any other boomers im never going to have kids they're like "ooh well maybe youll change your mind"

no, gently caress you. im not going to pass on my chronic mental and physical health problems, and gently caress you if you think it's moral to bring a person into this god forsaken hellworld we live in

My pet peeves is people who say things like 'its not moral to being a baby into this world' or 'humans are a cancer on the planet', that sort of thing.

Like any single one of you would choose not to be alive at all over being alive in a world where you're at best minorly inconvenienced in comparison to people only 100 years ago. Stop listening to Linkin Park and live a little.

I'm 100% with you on not having kids though.

Also people who whistle can gently caress off. No one has ever enjoyed hearing someone whistle except the person whistling. Everyone else wants you to gently caress off.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

CityMidnightJunky posted:

My pet peeves is people who say things like 'its not moral to being a baby into this world' or 'humans are a cancer on the planet', that sort of thing.

Like any single one of you would choose not to be alive at all over being alive in a world where you're at best minorly inconvenienced in comparison to people only 100 years ago. Stop listening to Linkin Park and live a little.

You know that at our current rate of greenhouse emissions children born now might not make it to adulthood right

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Kanine posted:

I mean, basically everyone I know from highschool that had this exact same attitude has kids now. Acknowledging your mind might change doesn't mean you believe you will. Imho it's safest to never say "I will never do ____", because then you look dumb when you inevitably do the thing. Just say "you're right, who knows mom maybe i will we'll see", you don't have to be so angry all the time. It's OK to sometimes tell small lies if they make people feel good.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Also people who whistle can gently caress off. No one has ever enjoyed hearing someone whistle except the person whistling. Everyone else wants you to gently caress off.

especially at work. Also public nail clippers. Every time I hear that clicking from his cubicle I instantly start fantasizing about him getting his gross self fired. Clipping nails, especially toenails, is something that should be done at home in your bathroom or something where nobody can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Midig posted:

I have never been very fat and it must suck considering that it was quite hard for me to go down from chubby to... not chubby. I am legitimately concerned that the habits of people in my family will lead to them developing serious health issues and if it gets worse might lead to missing many moments with them that I otherwise could have had. That is as far from ungenuine as it gets and I guess I give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that is the case for other people unless I see them openly mocking fat people.

I think I have gained a couple of pet peeves from having personally gotten results and seeing people make every excuse in the book or use bullshit science explanations to not improve. If you are just lazy, cool. That is who you are. So am I when it comes to various other things and we all have massive flaws. Just don't make up BS.

1. Someone asked me how I lost so much weight and I said carrots, as a joke. To which they explained that they read that carrots was really bad for you.

2. Running is bad for you, it ruins you knees. Sure if you don't do proper warmup, if you don't get proper shoes. Besides you can use a bike or go swimming. Gym is pretty fun too. Just make it work somehow, no excuses.

3. Starvation mode myth. So no reason to eat less because "your body will burn less calories to keep you alive meaning you get no results". Except that study was done on people you know "ACTUALLY STARVING". Tried to explain that to my family, but maintaining their ego is more important than knowing stuff.

4. People using the word diet. That is you admitting its temporary and that you will go back to your old ways. Stop encouraging yourself and other people to do it as a fad. It's about your health and confidence. Its going to take time, but it's worth it.

As someone who has lost a fair bit of weight (almost a cumulative 100lb drop from my peak), you definitely start noticing certain habits that I had to drop in other people. There's definitely a part of me that wants to tell whoever it is (friends or family) that it's not good for them, because there's a lot of stuff I really wish I'd known when I was younger that would've helped me not get so fat in the first place, but I also know that people also usually don't want unsolicited advice. A lot of the bullshit advice I've been given were from older people who were "just concerned", despite being worse off themselves and like to lecture anyway.

Related to this: people who are never involved with something, but then all of a sudden become critics once they do. I say "related" because I've had more than a few members of my family try to give me bullshit advice about weight loss and health, despite never having done it themselves or any real research at all. So when I tell them after what I did and what helped, THEN they all of a sudden become critical of what I've actually read and gone through.

Me: "I just realized that a lot of what I was eating was filler. Cut out a lot of carbohydrates: pasta, chips, corn, etc. Started going to the gym, and upped my protein intake to help with that.
My aunt: "Oh, I hear too much protein is bad for you! Are you really sure you should be doing that? I once heard..." on and on. Or, "You gotta watch out for that! If you stop going, all that muscle can turn into fat! Why, your uncle..." who stopped becoming active and kept eating like poo poo and, of course, gained weight.

It's not just diet, though. My dad is this way (how I haven't filled an entire page about my dad's habits is still a mystery). He doesn't really listen to music, but then when the subject is brought up, he expects everyone to sit down and shut up as he starts to lecture over why music today is awful. I don't even mean "he doesn't listen to new music," I mean at all, unless it's the recently-found classical radio station because talk radio used to drive us nuts.

Or what's wrong with the food he just ate. He really doesn't know how to do anything in the kitchen, has no real standard for food (grilled steak for us as kids was always rough and grey, or ribs were quickly grilled and tough), , but then he'll start offering his opinion on what you should do, or how it "would've been better if...". We once went to a restaurant where I ordered ribs, and he thought that the restaurant had probably just boiled the ribs and then quickly grilled them. Maybe someone who's worked in a restaurant like this can correct me, but when a restaurant advertises itself as mainly rotisserie chicken & ribs (that you can see), somehow I doubt they're going to ready pots of water to boil ribs. My mom is an actual cook, and ends up letting out a giant, "What are you talking about?!" every time he mentions this.