Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Night10194 posted:

This is actually in the Career Compendium in 2e: Slayers get a Leather Jack as trappings because they pass it off as a warm leather jacket for the weather. It isn't mail, so it doesn't count as armor, and really, they don't actually like freezing to death either.

So there's precedent.

You also had Makai Makaisson who used a goddamn battle-zepplin as his "slayer weapon" (among other things), being a slayer engineer. Anything that could get past his engineering marvels and kill him was surely a worthy death indeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

While death in battle may be the only way to honorably discharge the Oath, what a Slayer actually swears to do is to kill bad guys. Do that in the most effective way possible and eventually you will meet a bad guy who can kill you.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Like I said earlier, if I can't stand up without you in it then it ain't armour.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, could someone please explain to me what the deal was with WHFRP 3e, and which books in it might be worth reading to see how it actually worked? Apparently it got reprinted at some point to be more of a "stand-alone" game, but I'm not clear on how the cards and everything actually fit into it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FFG sent a good game to the RPG prom dressed up like a boardgame. Everyone laughed and it went home crying.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
id kill to have 3e redone with the all refinements theyve made with star wars

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Just use Genesys. I’m sure someone has made a WFRP conversion for it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I played 3e once and thought it was fine! The cards were a bit much, and the dice were apparently hard to come by, but it was fun

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I bought the boxed set of 3e and never got the chance to play it with literally anyone. I tried. Lord help me, I tried. I gave it to a friend because he was intrigued and he eventually gave it back because he was no more successful than I at getting a group that was interested in playing it.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
it took a while but i finally got a group together and it was a good time, but the number of cards made it borderline unplayable past a certain point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Verisimilidude posted:

I played 3e once and thought it was fine! The cards were a bit much, and the dice were apparently hard to come by, but it was fun

yea it was fine, but 'RPG dressed as a board game' is 100% right, there was a huge layer of 'I'm not sure what this product is meant to be' at the start that they never really shook

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure the answer is "a roleplaying game that's inconvenient to steal by just downloading a PDF", but that kind of puts a negative spin on things so I get why they didn't say it out loud

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
For real this is a stupid amount of poo poo required to play and I stopped collecting partway though it all:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

To be fair, the Blood Bowl pitch is optional.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moths posted:

To be fair, the Blood Bowl pitch is optional.

not in my campaigns it ain't :orks:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I own pretty much everything in the 3e line and I tried running it with my friends and they all hated the amount of fiddly crap required. I’d probably have liked it if it had come out in the SW format.

The books themselves were fine, really. I’d just prefer to not have Twilight Imperium mixed in with my WFRP.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

So, could someone please explain to me what the deal was with WHFRP 3e, and which books in it might be worth reading to see how it actually worked? Apparently it got reprinted at some point to be more of a "stand-alone" game, but I'm not clear on how the cards and everything actually fit into it.

• Start with D&D 4e as your base game, breaking the link with Warhammer Fantasy Battle (and pissing off two parts of your base)
  • Replace the levels with a career system because it's WFRP.
  • Replace D&D dice with the prototype for Star Wars: Edge of Empire dice
  • Add in two stances, conservative and reckless. If you're in conservative stance replace your attribute dice with green dice, if in reckless red dice (both of which are better than your default dice but come with drawbacks)
  • Print out all the power cards and put them in the box (so you have to sort through the things and there's no computer character builder)
  • Make each power card double sided, one side for conservative stance and one for reckless. In general basic actions are equal for both but for more advanced maneuvers conservative stance is safer but requires three rather than two successes for an overwhelming success - but sometimes it's entirely different moves (so the shield block move might be a parry for you in conservative stance and using your shield to defend someone else in reckless; this is most often done for spells)
  • Add in a few innovations that would appear in some of the best games of the next ten years; the initiative system was one step away from popcorn initiative, and you also had a party card like the Blades in the Dark crew types.

There's a hell of a lot there, much of it before its time and it's in desperate need of something like the 4e character builder and the 4e monster maker (no MM3 on a business card here!) I've run a campaign in it and, ironically, it's a better theatre of the mind system than D&D 5e - but I'm glad I was running a pregen module rather than trying to write my own.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it is a shame they went so buck wild with fiddly bits and add-ons because the game itself was actually pretty interesting and a little ahead of its time even.

Eandr
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Apart from being set in the same world, it was a complete departure from the previous two edition of WFRP. Instead of the d100 mechanic, it uses a "narrative dice" system, making use of proprietary d6s, d8s and d10s with symbols instead of numbers. The core mechanic revolves around building dice pools. You start with a number of characteristic dice (blue d8s) equal to the stat the relevant skill is based on, then add a number of challenge dice (purple d8s) to represent the difficulty of the test. If you roll more hammers than swords you pass the test. You can also add other dice depending on the level of training you have in the skill and other relevant (positive and negative) circumstances: expertise dice (yellow d6s), fortune dice (white d6s) and misfortune dice (black d6s). Finally, if you are in either "Conservative" or "Reckless" stance (only in combat RAW), you can replace a certain number of characteristic dice with either green or red d10s, which increase the chance of success but with drawbacks. In addition to successes and failures, there are also eagles for boons, skulls for banes, comets for critical successes, and Chaos Stars for Very Bad things. Hammers and swords, and eagles and skulls cancel each other out, leaving you with a result of either success or failure with banes or boons. So the nice thing about the system (for those who like it), is that you get more than just success or failure (which can be a bit boring from a roleplay perspective). You can have a success with drawbacks, a failure with something good happening, or anything in between.

There are lots of different cards, which basically have everything you need to know written down. So instead of just having everything listed on the character sheet and then needing to check what X talent does, you can see straight away. This is great for people like me who have a terrible memory and end up writing everything down on separate bits of paper in other games. The action cards are the most detailed, and really the most necessary for playing the game. They supplement skill tests by giving you specific things you can do. So, for example, instead of just shooting your bow you could use the "Accurate Shot" action. The card lists all the possible effects of the action (assuming you pass the test) for various combinations of hammers, boons, banes, comets and Chaos Stars. So a card might have a line that says what happens if you roll a single hammer (normal damage), another line for if you roll 3 hammers (bonus damage), and a line for if you roll a couple of boons (bonus manoeuvre). Again, this is great for making things a bit less all or nothing, but it can be a bit limiting when you have characters routinely rolling more hammers than they need (there are a couple of suggestions for dealing with this scattered throughout the supplements).

The career system was carried over from previous editions, but also modified. There are no career entries and exits. Instead each career has four key words, and (apart from obvious exceptions like wizards and priests), any career can transition into any other career. It just costs more XP the fewer key words the two careers have in common. Each career also has a unique ability, and a sheet that explains everything you need to know about it and determines how many talents you can have active at a time (talent cards are slotted onto the career sheet).

Even though I'm one of those weirdos who prefers 3e to the other editions, I find it difficult to recommend now because it has been out of print for so long that prices are getting ridiculous on the second-hand market. So it's difficult to get even the minimum stuff you'd need to play (unless you want to :filez:). There are people in the community who advocate playing without all the components, which you can do with just the Player's and GM's Guides, but I've never tried it so I'm not sure how it works out in practice.

The game has never been reprinted, but the Star Wars and Genesys RPGs from FFG are basically the next edition of the system with (AFAIK) all the card components removed. I believe someone in the 3e FB group posted recently about doing a Warhammer mod for Genesys.

There's still an old thread that inevitably petered out here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474414
There are also quite a few rules summaries around, which would be the best place to get an idea of how the game worked. The one here is widely considered the best: https://www.orderofgamers.com/games/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-3rd-edition/

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
3rd edition is great, even if it does have a million pieces and a lot of the good stuff could have been great with a little more polish.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's nothing weird about enjoying a different style of game. The main reason I never played it is I was playing and running on IRC at the time and all those moving parts would have been impossible. Didn't FFG also get a little screwed over by 3rd coming out right when GW had decided the fluff had to go back to THE STORM OF CHAOS IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW as opposed to 2nd's 'it happened, world isn't currently dying' and 4th's 'a fairly normal time in history'?

Naturally, no Storm in 1st, for obvious reasons.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
3e was a system ahead of its time, the cards were amazing for teaching the game, you just got too many as you leveled, monsters could have done with battle mats rather than small packs of cards and a few other innovations.

Eandr
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

There's nothing weird about enjoying a different style of game. The main reason I never played it is I was playing and running on IRC at the time and all those moving parts would have been impossible. Didn't FFG also get a little screwed over by 3rd coming out right when GW had decided the fluff had to go back to THE STORM OF CHAOS IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW as opposed to 2nd's 'it happened, world isn't currently dying' and 4th's 'a fairly normal time in history'?

Naturally, no Storm in 1st, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I wouldn't say FFG got screwed as such, but 3e came out after GW had retconned Storm of Chaos out of existence. Most of the adventures don't specify when they take place (apart from that the Storm hasn't happened). But the 3e The Enemy Within* takes place in 2522 against the backdrop of a Chaos invasion that could be either the start of the Storm or the End Times.

*Completely separate and unrelated to the original 1e TEW that's getting a 4e "Director's Cut".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Similar sort of story with my group.

A friend of mine swore 3E WFRP was good, but me and the other DM in our group both looked at the price*, then at the vast array of 2E stuff we already owned and had a collective 'Nah, we're good'

*Which was pretty stiff for the time as I recall.

Edit: Oh it's my turn to DM now and rather than a long campaign I'm running briefer one-shots of stuff I've never run before. I'm gonna pick up WFRP 4 in the next month or so for when I've finished with BASH. Is there a good 'stuff to watch out for, rules that are broken, useful house rules' type guide that anyones got a link or put togethor?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 11, 2019

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Deptfordx posted:

Similar sort of story with my group.

A friend of mine swore 3E WFRP was good, but me and the other DM in our group both looked at the price*, then at the vast array of 2E stuff we already owned and had a collective 'Nah, we're good'

Edit: Oh it's my turn to DM now and rather than a long campaign I'm running briefer one-shots of stuff I've never run before. I'm gonna pick up WFRP 4 in the next month or so for when I've finished with BASH. Is there a good 'stuff to watch out for, rules that are broken, useful house rules' type guide that anyones got a link or put togethor?

Cap advantage at 6 and use a D6 to keep track of it.

Also, print out all of the charts, cut them from the pages and staple them together. There's a lot of charts and you want them handy without having to shuffle through a stack of pages.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kidkissinger posted:

Cap advantage at 6 and use a D6 to keep track of it.

I prefer the variant rule in the book of capping it at the Initiative bonus.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Question: How long would it usually take to run through the Enemy in Shadows adventures (Mistaken Identity, Shadows over Bogenhafen)?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well it's not released yet of course.

Based on the original Enemy Within. Not too long to work your way through MI and SoB.

If you mean the whole campaign that's going to be enormous . Hard to say since it's diverging from the original. They're quite rightly replacing Something Rotten in Kislev, and Empire in Flames is also going to be rewritten as Empire in Ruin, but just based on the original ones they're keeping in, it's going to be quite a lengthy campaign.

At least as long as a 5E dnd campaign book.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 12, 2019

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Well it's not released yet of course.

Based on the original Enemy Within. Not too long to work your way through MI and SoB.

If you mean the whole campaign that's going to be enormous . Hard to say since it's diverging from the original. They're quite rightly replacing Something Rotten in Kislev, and Empire in Flames is also going to be rewritten as Empire in Ruin, but just based on the original ones they're keeping in, it's going to be quite a lengthy campaign.

At least as long as a 5E dnd campaign book.

Basically I'm wondering if I start running the first book soon after it comes out will there be enough material to last roughly until the second book is released (assuming playtime of the new edition is roughly the same as the old).

I've got enough of my own material for 3-4 3hr sessions so if I can get another 4 sessions out of book 1 that should last my group into next year (assuming book 1 is released this month).

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
I imagine it's going to be later than advertised considering their track record with the line plus the project lead quitting (sacked?) recently.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Enemy in Shadows released today. Pretty meaty, 160 odd pages with the two adventures plus some new rules, diseases and a fair bit of background info. The companion book will apparently be released early next month.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Random Integer posted:

Enemy in Shadows released today. Pretty meaty, 160 odd pages with the two adventures plus some new rules, diseases and a fair bit of background info. The companion book will apparently be released early next month.

The delay for the Companion is annoying, but the book itself is pretty awesome.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
The companion also apparently contains the Chaos Sorcerer and Morr Doomsayer careers as well as Tzeench magic.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Gotta admit I'm pretty tempted to get it.

I played through it back in the day (Not Empire in Flames, which may not have been available then), would be tempted to DM it this time.

Half my group are the same guys though. It's been 20+ years so my own memories are pretty dim, but didn't I see something in a preview about there going to be including suggestions to shake things up for returning players. Did they do that?

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

Gotta admit I'm pretty tempted to get it.

I played through it back in the day (Not Empire in Flames, which may not have been available then), would be tempted to DM it this time.

Half my group are the same guys though. It's been 20+ years so my own memories are pretty dim, but didn't I see something in a preview about there going to be including suggestions to shake things up for returning players. Did they do that?

They added side bars through out the adventure with suggestions on how to alter the events of the adventure to make it different for people who have experienced it before.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Good to know thanks.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ok so I pulled the trigger on the 4th edition rulebook.

So when is the dead tree version of Empire in Shadows likely to be released?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Ok so I pulled the trigger on the 4th edition rulebook.

So when is the dead tree version of Empire in Shadows likely to be released?

Early Q1 next year.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

As much as I want the special edition, I don't trust all the books to come out before some crazy bullshit happens.

It's frustrating, because by goddamn those are some pretty covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, the MSRP was like $100. Not unbearable, but still twice as much as most RPG core rules for all those tchotkies.