Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

:goonsay: Militarily: The US could probably have contained China for another 20 years or so if it weren’t for the GWOT/OIF. If Bush has done a pacific pivot then, the geopolitics could maybe have worked out until the US/JP/SK economies ran out of gas trying to make it work. Instead, the PLAN achieved technical parity with the USN in the 2010s (as a direct result of the shift to counterterrorism) and the Chinese economy continues to grow despite a contractionary trade war with the US.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Thats it. People become richer and then they buy more stuff. Maybe some of the stuff comes from other countries but thats not super important.

Its kind of funny that *wages go up* is the point where you get all befuddled because apparently its such an alien concept to white people or bananas.

i like wages going up. its good for labor to get more of the surplus value they generate. i'm saying that won't work under china's current model of being a low wage workshop for western capital

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
China is moving away from low wage sweat shop model, thats what made Trump/Navarro/Liggthizer so upset.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

i dont know about the chinese economy continuing to grow. if they get shut out of exporting certain things to certain markets, they're going to have to resort to domestic demand which would mean wage increases. but lower wages (than western labor) is what launched their growth in the first place, so what's the way forward?

Well there are other markets beside the US (look at the 5g issue btw) and it is unclear if the US is willing or able to shut out China entirely. Chinese growth may trend downward but st the same time the US has its own pressures.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

whatever7 posted:

China is moving away from low wage sweat shop model, thats what made Trump/Navarro/Liggthizer so upset.

Lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"nazis bad" doesn't really hold that much sway in Asia, same with western-style racism. Thailand had a "Hitler Fiend Chicken" outlet, Taiwan has a mall with the n-word in the title, and people in South Korea and China think that the stereotypes of Jews dominating finance and being clanish are good

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

After 2011, China began an extensive blue water naval development in two stages: first, an iterative technical design stage of increasingly advanced ships and then a numerical buildup stage once it judged it had achieved technological equivalency with American designs. the Type 055 destroyer (for example) is technologically as advanced as any of its Western equivalents, and the PLAN has already commissioned six of them, with maybe two dozen planned in total. That’s a serious blue water surface fleet. In the same time period, we built three Zumwalts to shell goatherds.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

whats wrong with that statement

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

After 2011, China began an extensive blue water naval development in two stages: first, an iterative technical design stage of increasingly advanced ships and then a numerical buildup stage once it judged it had achieved technological equivalency with American designs. the Type 055 destroyer (for example) is technologically as advanced as any of its Western equivalents, and the PLAN has already commissioned six of them, with maybe two dozen planned in total. That’s a serious blue water surface fleet. In the same time period, we built three Zumwalts to shell goatherds.

isn't the us navy also in a lovely state due to getting the same corporate neoliberal overworking/undermanning/crapification treatment usually reserved for the private sector. thats what resulted in those big collisions recently iirc

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mila kunis posted:

whats wrong with that statement

It caused a stack overflew in his racist mind.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

isn't the us navy also in a lovely state due to getting the same corporate neoliberal overworking/undermanning/crapification treatment usually reserved for the private sector. thats what resulted in those big collisions recently iirc

lol the Navy had a huge orgy at the Manila Hotel that "involved" Douglas MacArthur's paraphernalia because their logistics were handled by this Malaysian Fat Leonard that was bribing admirals left and right with hookers and booze

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

China is moving away from the sweatshop model because they've industrialized enough that they can outsource their labor needs to other countries like Bangladesh or Vietnam.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

no

having numbers and having decisive advantage are not synonymous.

Vincent Van Goatse has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Oct 10, 2019

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

get that OUT of my face posted:

"nazis bad" doesn't really hold that much sway in Asia, same with western-style racism. Thailand had a "Hitler Fiend Chicken" outlet, Taiwan has a mall with the n-word in the title, and people in South Korea and China think that the stereotypes of Jews dominating finance and being clanish are good

quote:

get that OUT of my face

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

get that OUT of my face posted:

Taiwan has a mall with the n-word in the title

loving excuse me?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol the Navy had a huge orgy at the Manila Hotel that "involved" Douglas MacArthur's paraphernalia because their logistics were handled by this Malaysian Fat Leonard that was bribing admirals left and right with hookers and booze

Tired: Clinton's cigar
Wired: MacArthur's pipe

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

loving excuse me?

Also a lot of Korean products feature racist caricatures. It's a thing.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/lochiedoesstuff/status/1181564972091863042?s=20

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

don't get me wrong, i'm not excusing the person in the video

Eifert Posting posted:

Also a lot of Korean products feature racist caricatures. It's a thing.
there was a Chinese commercial where a black guy becomes a light-skinned Chinese guy as well. it caused some uproar around the world but inside the country, people didn't really see the problem

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My favorite problematic themed Chinese junk food.

It's also called "Singles' Dog Food" to insult its customers.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Quintessential 80s style.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sincx posted:

What's the likelihood of anything Viacom-related (e.g. Paramount Pictures movies) being banned in China?

i'm going to laugh when legendary pictures only releases dune in china and refuses to let it screen in the US

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lightning Knight posted:

loving excuse me?

Not to be all "Taiwan #1" but I've never heard of it too so I would like to know more

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GoutPatrol posted:

Not to be all "Taiwan #1" but I've never heard of it too so I would like to know more

I'm curious but i am extremely not googling it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Throatwarbler posted:

Thats it. People become richer and then they buy more stuff. Maybe some of the stuff comes from other countries but thats not super important.

Its kind of funny that *wages go up* is the point where you get all befuddled because apparently its such an alien concept to white people or bananas.

erm

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh no

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Those look like spinner rims.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The Chinese under it literally says "King of Black People" so it's not a mistranslation.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I always found folks' interpretation of how their race is treated in foreign countries super interesting, so if people seemed open to talking about it when I stayed in Georgia and Korea and when I visited other countries I did ask.

I knew a bunch of African Americans visiting Georgia (the country) and living there the same time as me. Universally they said that they didn't have people watching them like a hawk in stores like they experienced in the States, but often talked about a lot of inappropriate touching and were various states of weirded out about it. They felt like folks treated them as a curiosity and had mixed opinions on it. Most folk I talked to seemed to think Georgia was less openly discriminatory than the States. One lady in particular told me it was the only part of her life she felt like she wasn't facing daily discrimination. I knew a Taiwanese Canadian who was cool with Georgia, said he didn't experience anything he considered discriminatory, but an Australian Vietnamese dude who was super upset about being called "Chinelli" (you can guess what this means) after being very clearly insistent that he is Australian and ethnically Vietnamese.

The only black person I really knew in Korea was a South African who was super positive and probably wouldn't have talked about feeling discriminated against even if she felt she had been, but she did shave her head and said folks were weird about that. I'm not sure if she knew, but the place that hired her had to be talked out of hiring a white candidate from South Africa that was less qualified. I knew a couple Jewish folks living in Korea who said that they clearly saw evidence people around them bought into a lot of stereotypes about Jewish folks but it wasn't seen negatively. They both seemed very neutral about it. There was a large number (for Korea) of Indians living in my building in Korea and the few I spent any time talking to were very vocal about feeling aggressively discriminated against. I didn't know any Southeast Asians but discrimination against them in Korea is notorious. Koreans are weird about Gyopos (ethnic Koreans who did not grow up in Korea) and as an observer they seemed to get discriminated against actively, particularly in the workplace. I've heard similar things from folks who lived in China for some time, and Hong Kongers are famous for disliking Mainlanders.

Meanwhile I was a white dude, so sometimes people said anti-american poo poo to me - which I generally agreed with. I remember a Georgian dude who was an Olympic level wrestler said "gently caress Bush" to me trying to piss me off and I told him if he wants real cred he should be saying "gently caress Reagan." A couple Korean businesses refused to serve me, but they might just have not wanted to deal with the language barrier. I never experienced any active or passive discrimination in Georgia, Russia, the Mainland, Taipei or Hong Kong that I recognized.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have been watching some youtube videos of Taiwanese working in mainland and talk about lives in mainland. I found them very interesting.

I also have come acrossed some Malay Chinese youtubers who talk and act like very normal Chinese Chinese. I also find their lives very interesting.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

you know my initial reaction to this was abject horror and disbelief but in fairness the US has a major sports team named a slur so you know what glass houses I guess.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also: there's a lot of Osama bin Laden memorabilia in China.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
double post

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Mantis42 posted:

Also: there's a lot of Osama bin Laden memorabilia in China.

A lot might be a strong word to use here, bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

whatever7 posted:

I have been watching some youtube videos of Taiwanese working in mainland and talk about lives in mainland. I found them very interesting.

I also have come acrossed some Malay Chinese youtubers who talk and act like very normal Chinese Chinese. I also find their lives very interesting.

Uncle Petrov is an interesting case