Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean I doubt Pence has strong opinions about Vatican 2 or whatever but catholic missionaries kinda are a huge thing yes, the church isn't gilded because they're being low-key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

pence is in the least consequential role possible so be glad he's out of real power

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

...That's a thing?! :psyboom:

I thought only loving super Evangelical weirdos call their wives mother

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelical_Catholic

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
actually now that I've reminded myself what big C evangelical catholics stand for he's 100% a small c one, they think the Catholic Church is a heretical organization run by far left lunatics

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I hate Pence so loving much

So did the majority of Indiana. He failed upwards.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

GreyjoyBastard posted:

he is a complete religious nutter

He is. He's a Dominionist, and I think it's probably fair to call him (and everyone in the hyper-right evangelical community) Christianist -- like, in the sense of Islamist; what they want is a full-on theocracy that doesn't resemble much of what most of the faith they claim to belong to actually believes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sexpig by night posted:

I mean I doubt Pence has strong opinions about Vatican 2 or whatever but catholic missionaries kinda are a huge thing yes, the church isn't gilded because they're being low-key.

you're not wrong, but there's a specific crazypants subset of crazypants right wing evangelicals who describe themselves as small c catholics

note: technically a lot of denominations do, but not in their identity nouns

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ershalim posted:

He is. He's a Dominionist, and I think it's probably fair to call him (and everyone in the hyper-right evangelical community) Christianist -- like, in the sense of Islamist; what they want is a full-on theocracy that doesn't resemble much of what most of the faith they claim to belong to actually believes.

loving this

I've actually never met a Catholic that believed in the typical evangelical nutter Rapture, so it genuinely caught me off guard

I bet Pence has some real "fun" views on Jesuits though

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 11, 2019

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My father in law is a Catholic from this tiny town in Kentucky, where the Catholic church concludes the Lords Prayer with the “for thine is the kingdom” business I’ve only otherwise heard from Protestants.

It’s such a small thing but seems symbolic to me of a lot.

schizophrenic
Jul 29, 2004
<3
I see we've entered the "wheels falling off the plane at a rapidly increasing rate" phase...
What in the literal f is going on lol.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Pence was raised Catholic and at some point he switched to Evangelical megachurches :shrug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

My father in law is a Catholic from this tiny town in Kentucky, where the Catholic church concludes the Lords Prayer with the “for thine is the kingdom” business I’ve only otherwise heard from Protestants.

It’s such a small thing but seems symbolic to me of a lot.

It's weird because "thine" is the informal Middle English "yours" and "yours" was more formal. So it's actually less polite?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

schizophrenic posted:

I see we've entered the "wheels falling off the plane at a rapidly increasing rate" phase...

This minus the lol

poo poo is scary af

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

schizophrenic posted:

Well basically republicans have been trying to destroy America for like 40 years and may just be finally succeeding right now.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

It's weird because "thine" is the informal Middle English "yours" and "yours" was more formal. So it's actually less polite?

It's cargo cults, Argle. Cargo all the way down.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

If this can be verified, this is The Thing.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

The wheels are falling off and I’m scared the plane is going to land on treadmill powered by GOP bootlickers

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

"Evangelical" and "evangelistic" are not synonyms

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
What in the crime hill is going on anymore. poo poo happened to fast. What's the Friday drop gonna be?

Also

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

USPOL Fall: Increasing Intercriminal Pressure

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 11, 2019

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

All I know is we're rapidly approaching the point where if arrests aren't made hastily there's going to be serious damage to the investigation (and country) long term. I think everybody who has a brain in their skull knows this isn't going to blow over so at this point the strategy is a.) mitigate damage, b.) defer blame, c.) reduce sentences, d.) save the party, and e.) ensure Democratic chaos, probably in that order. People will flee, disavow, destroy evidence, and try to spread blame around. It's going to be wild (I mean, it already is). The longer the D's wait the more damage is going to happen.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

"Evangelical" and "evangelistic" are not synonyms

Specifically, "Evangelical" basically means "Gospel-believing." It's different than evangelizing (trying to convert people).

A good example is the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the largest Lutheran body in the US. They don't have anything to do with the American Evangelical movement, the name is a throwback to German roots where Evangelical = Lutheran. They're pretty progressive, ordain women and perform gay marriages, there was also a link earlier in the thread about how they were going to shelter migrants.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

Pence was raised Catholic and at some point he switched to Evangelical megachurches :shrug:

Probably true (don't care to research him much): Can't be Catholic and Republican Evangelical at the same time. drat Kennedy's, don't cha know.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Wow like 500 new posts y’all must have gotten into a slap fight while I was traveling for a long weekeEEEEE WHAT THE gently caress

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/oneforeachofyou/status/1182401018262413313

https://twitter.com/oneforeachofyou/status/1182419832811196416

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1182363312987746304

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1182455449137876992

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Is there any speculation as to why Barr is allowing the DOJ to scoop up the arrested guys? I assume he was aware of the investigation as AG, but it happening looks bad for Trump. What's his game?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A Declassified Court Ruling Shows How the FBI Abused NSA Mass Surveillance Data

"The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court found that the FBI may have violated the rights of potentially millions of Americans — including its own agents and informants — by improperly searching through information obtained by the National Security Agency’s mass surveillance program.

U.S. District Court Judge James E. Boasberg, who serves in the District of Columbia and the FISA court, made his sweeping and condemnatory assessment in October 2018 in a 138-page ruling, which was declassified by the U.S. government this week."

138-page ruling: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6464604-2018-FISC-Ruling-Shows-How-FBI-Abused-NSA-Mass.html

"To longtime critics of the government’s mass surveillance program, the FBI’s abuses are confirmation that federal law enforcement agents are combing through the communications of Americans without warrants, in violation of Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches and seizures."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
if the call really was a russian operation this looks kinda shady

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1182384049286987776?s=20

she's replying to natasha bertrand, who broke the story

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1182375793822982144?s=20

(also how old is that cellphone pic?)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 11, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1182464787399237632

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Might be a thread we want to follow up

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1182451807450218497

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1182465907689431042

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Is there any speculation as to why Barr is allowing the DOJ to scoop up the arrested guys? I assume he was aware of the investigation as AG, but it happening looks bad for Trump. What's his game?

I also am curious about this

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

I have no words. I'm dead

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Language changes over time. Just because it was informal then doesn't mean it's informal now.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
its like I am listening off meds in a mental hospital rambling

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

His brain is made of mashed potatoes and Daniel Dale is a saint.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Charlz Guybon posted:

Language changes over time. Just because it was informal then doesn't mean it's informal now.

You talked to God with an informal "thou" because of the special intimate relationship between you and God. Like talking to your dearest loved one. Languages like German with a formal/informal sie/du still do this.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I want to watch this poo poo live because there is no way this twitter feed is doing it justice and I'm afraid he's gonna keel over half way and I'll miss it. :magical:

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/10/20908894/donald-trump-twitch-amazon-bernie-sanders-washington-post

And here I thought the impeachment speedrun was a joke, hes going to stream it live :v:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
While Putin may annex it one day, Minsk is part of Belarus, not Russia, Frum. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1182467047965548544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skylined! posted:

Wow like 500 new posts y’all must have gotten into a slap fight while I was traveling for a long weekeEEEEE WHAT THE gently caress

I literally just had this conversation with someone like 20 minutes ago.

“Man, today’s the first day in months I haven’t watched or read any news” / “...Oh.”