Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

2. America's laissez faire attitudes is possibly not the best idea, there is a strong case for government intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's snowing and icy and while I was fishtailing my way to work I was thinking how cool it would be if it were 75 degrees and I could ride my bike

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Well, yes, HenryJLittlefinger, but lets talk bikes!

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
When riding slowly is it better to rev high in a lower gear or lug it in a higher one?

On my commute I'm often stuck behind people doing <20mph for several blocks at a time which is really tedious. I could either be in first revving high and being kinda jerky, or lug it in 2nd. What's the right way to deal with this scenario?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Use the clutch to smooth out 2nd.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yea. Nearly all* motorcycle clutches run in an oil bath, so you can slip them forever without causing damage like in a car. Your left hand will wear out before the clutch does.

*If you have a Ducati or BMW with a dry clutch, lol @ u

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

*If you have a Ducati or BMW with a dry clutch, lol @ u

Or a Guzzi V7. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you have a guzzi v7 you've got bigger problems than clutch wear I think.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m going to be trying some motorcycle camping this fall. I’m not in a place to have 2 bikes and I’m not wanting to trade so it’s gonna be the R3. I’ve got lightweight backpacking gear already so all I need is a way to transport it. My bike obviously doesn’t have OEM bolt on luggage accessories so I’ll ask this: would it be smarter to try and fit universal bags to the rear sides or just pack a duffel and ratchet the sucker down to the passenger seat? I’m guessing the latter. I need 30L of total space minimum.

Also, if it’s short and handled carefully, how treacherous is an unpaved road for my entry level street bike?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Duffel strapped to the pillion will be fine and the bike will handle a gravel road just fine. Do some practice braking on gravel if you get the chance to see how traction is affected.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Awesome! Saves me buying more expensive stuff. My long term goal is to have more of an adventure bike but I’m still having too much fun on this one (plus it’s paid for.)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
On road, front brakes are everything. On dirt and gravel be careful when using the front and use more rear brake or engine brake.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I was going to ask. I tried braking on some gravel in the parking lot I use for practice and my front tire immediately washed out. I feel like I barely touched the brake lever. I was able to save it but I haven’t tried again since. :ohdear: I probably have more finesse to my braking now and maybe should try again.

I wonder if dirt/gravel has any more traction than asphalt/gravel since there is some give in the dirt still. I haven’t had trouble the couple times I’ve pulled off the road, but I probably did 95% of the braking on asphalt and rolled to a stop.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not a dirt person but my brief experience on it led me to believe that the front brake is worthless, best stopping is achieved by locking the rear and dragging it along the ground like an anchor. On gravel, locked tires build up a little bow wave of rocks that helps you stop, you can imagine why this isn't ideal for the front tire.

alr
May 14, 2009

Rolo posted:

I’m going to be trying some motorcycle camping this fall. I’m not in a place to have 2 bikes and I’m not wanting to trade so it’s gonna be the R3. I’ve got lightweight backpacking gear already so all I need is a way to transport it. My bike obviously doesn’t have OEM bolt on luggage accessories so I’ll ask this: would it be smarter to try and fit universal bags to the rear sides or just pack a duffel and ratchet the sucker down to the passenger seat? I’m guessing the latter. I need 30L of total space minimum.

Also, if it’s short and handled carefully, how treacherous is an unpaved road for my entry level street bike?

I do it easily on my R3, I just went to a camping store for a random waterproof 50L duffel bag. Use two Rok Straps (these are great) to attach to the passenger pegs and tail tidy, but you can attach them to the underside of the seat too if you have a full fender. I have a small tankbag (phone, wallet, camera) and a backpack with water (and food for camp at the last petrol stop). Don't use a backpack more than you have to, it sucks after a while.

Off-tarmac is fine as long as you're that there are a lot more tyre ruts and potholes that your front wheel is going to want to follow. The only time I've dropped my bike was at a standstill on wet grass/mud at a campground because my foot slipped, so be aware of how much traction your boots have too!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I like a cargo net, too. Put it over everything after the duffel is secure and you can just shove random poo poo like rain gear, layers, shoes, 1.5L water bladder, trash, etc under it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Picked the bike up today.

It was dark and I was extremely tired when I got home, so I'm gonna ride tomorrow instead of right now.

E: Thanks everyone for the advice so far, I probably would have bought a complete POS (and thought I was saving money) without hearing that stuff.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 11, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

If you have a guzzi v7 you've got bigger problems than clutch wear I think.

Such as?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Picked the bike up today.

It was dark and I was extremely tired when I got home, so I'm gonna ride tomorrow instead of right now.

E: Thanks everyone for the advice so far, I probably would have bought a complete POS (and thought I was saving money) without hearing that stuff.

Noice. Those are a loving good bike.

Everything. They are a notoriously lovely machine.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Everything. They are a notoriously lovely machine.

:D :D :D the angry man is back :D :D :D

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rode around for half an hour and it was fun.

Throttle's extremely touchy in first gear, like the slightest move of it is too much. I'm supposed to use the clutch to smooth that out, right? Only stalled it once though, so I guess I'm getting it right-ish.

Other than that, bike's fine but it's impossible to feel cool when you have to wear a h-vis vest which presumably is why they make you do that on your learner permit.

I gotta find somewhere to practice slow speed maneuvers, too. No big car parks here.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rode around for half an hour and it was fun.

Throttle's extremely touchy in first gear, like the slightest move of it is too much. I'm supposed to use the clutch to smooth that out, right? Only stalled it once though, so I guess I'm getting it right-ish.

Other than that, bike's fine but it's impossible to feel cool when you have to wear a h-vis vest which presumably is why they make you do that on your learner permit.

I gotta find somewhere to practice slow speed maneuvers, too. No big car parks here.

Yes. Slip that clutch like crazy.

Also, let me introduce you to motorcross gear where the high viz best is basically the height of fashion.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

On most bikes I've ridden, 1st is for getting moving, and then 2nd gear with clutch slipping for basically all low speed stuff.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah I had another ride yesterday afternoon and I'm pretty sure I don't ever wanna be in first except when taking off. Second with clutch and rear brake feels ideal for low speed weaving and u-turns. I'm definitely gonna practice being smoother in first though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My bike is an 865cc and for riding in town I rarely have to even shift to second. Traffic is pretty congested in my area though.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I want to get more into riding my bike. Currently my equipment goes down to a jacket, helmet and some excerciese gloves. As boots I currently use some security boots that seem to work just fine.

What options can you give me for the rest of equpiment needed, probably replace gloves and some pants. One of the issues where I live (Mexico CIty) is that weather changes quiet fast, so it can be sunny and then rain pours down so I get all soaked.

Looking for best price quality and safety ratio.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I did a 2 man 300km round trip to Niagara Falls and back today. Lots of fun riding with someone as opposed to alone. After we split up for the day I made the terrible decision to ride home by country roads and open farmland just as the wind picked up like threefold. No amount of “relax and grip the thank and loosen the arms” made that enjoyable. I physically fought the wind for every second of the hour ride home being pushed around. It was just... so bad. Not one enjoyable second, all replaced by terror. I know it’s because I still have no instincts for riding in the wind but it was a real disheartening way to end what was otherwise an amazing buddy ride.

I think what’s more is that I was mentally fighting with my instincts to not lock my arms etc. I kept telling myself that if I was REALLY afraid of going tumbling down into oncoming traffic, it wouldn’t be the wind that did it, it would be me stiff-arming my reaction to the wind. Instinct is real hard to argue with though :ohdear:

Edit: ok I guess I kind of glossed over the fact that group riding is just straight up SO MUCH FUN! We both have Cardos os we just shot the poo poo while taking in some amazing lakeshore scenery. Augh, I wish I’d started riding much sooner. So much wasted time.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 13, 2019

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t know man, I think the wind sucks and can be scary. Like a steady wind is fine but gusts are what worry me. They’re basically invisible hazards. I got hit by a big gust while I was doing 75-80 on the freeway and it physically moved me like 1-3’. I kept it in my lane but it wasn’t fun. I just slowed down which felt like it would make the wind less impactful but not sure if that’s 100% how it works.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm pretty obviously in a worried > tense/stiffen > harder to ride > more worried feedback loop so how do I build confidence?

It's just "ride more", right?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I'm pretty obviously in a worried > tense/stiffen > harder to ride > more worried feedback loop so how do I build confidence?

I think that’s it, just riding more to build more confidence on your bike. I didn’t have a reason to ride on the freeway until I had been riding for awhile, now when I do I get blown around like crazy on my light rear end bike but I just relax and have fun. I’m also a skinny dude with a giant full face Bell so I’m basically a bobble head above 60.

It’s like wow feel all that wind come off that giant semi holy poo poo I’m on a tiny chair that’s doing 75 this is amazing why isn’t everyone doing this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Toe Rag posted:

Like a steady wind is fine but gusts are what worry me. They’re basically invisible hazards

Yep, this is about how I'd put it. A steady crosswind can be unnerving at first but ultimately you just have to bank into it and hold that angle and you'll track a straight line. No big deal. A gusty crosswind is much harder to handle because if you don't instantly make the correct compensation whenever the wind shifts, you'll get blown all over the road.

It's the same in airplanes, fwiw

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

I don't ride a lot and I have been struggling with the same, recently I had no other choice but to use my bike. Stressful situations in stressful,streets/highways that I had to be fully focused on the stuff I was doing and how I was riding. On the way back I had to take the same route. I felt confident enough to do some stuff that 3 hours before I wouldnt do because what ifs.

I will agree it all comes down to riding more, and try doing it on routes that you are familiar with or feel confident. Once you reach the point that you feel confident on that route, take another one, that way your skills will start to develop. ALways do it with care. And just be aware of your surraoundings.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Well, except its only really critical for about a minute each end of the flight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, this is about how I'd put it. A steady crosswind can be unnerving at first but ultimately you just have to bank into it and hold that angle and you'll track a straight line. No big deal. A gusty crosswind is much harder to handle because if you don't instantly make the correct compensation whenever the wind shifts, you'll get blown all over the road.

Yeah this is kind of what I experienced. I’ve been riding for probably two months now. I lowsided once in my safety course during an emergency swerve drill and once braking around a bend on a gravel road and neither time did I feel terrified and just hopped back on immediately, but riding home today was probably the most fear I’ve felt on two wheels.

The wind was steady at times but then would frequently stop and start, and shift intensity. I think I’d maybe have dealt with it better if I hadn’t already been on the road for four hours, but at that point I was probably tired, and fighting to make adjustments to keep up with the conditions was physically draining.

Phew.

Tomorrow is another day, just have to get back in the saddle.

And I mean to keep things positive, I did have a great four hours out and I have to remember that. Farting around the lake was so amazing that while it ended in the most fear I’ve felt, it was also probably the most rewarding ride I’ve done yet. And whatever didn’t kill me only made me smarter.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 14, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

When the wind is really bad I've always felt better tucking in as much as possible, although I'm not sure how much of that is just mental vs actual physical forces

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Today I went out on the highway for the first time because I felt like if I didn't do it I was never gonna do it.

It was loving awesome.

Also thought I'd found a parking lot to practice in but like all road adjacent surfaces withing 100km of here, it's lovely gravel with weeds in it.

Still, I had a lot of fun today and I'm a lot more confident, especially at taking off and stopping. On the highway, I pulled over a couple times, made drat sure there was no traffic, and took off as fast as I could (fuuuuck yeeeeaaaah) and now the little push it gives when I'm being careful is nothing.

One thing though, at highway speed, my helmet feels like it's kind lifting on my head. Like the wind's getting under it. How do I fix that? I can't really lean forward further because of the <gestures wildly at the shape of the bike>, and I can't close the visor all the way because it fogs a little even on a warm day like today.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 15, 2019

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Carth Dookie posted:

On most bikes I've ridden, 1st is for getting moving, and then 2nd gear with clutch slipping for basically all low speed stuff.

It's pretty up to engine size and low end performance. My FZ1 redlines first at 84mph and the torque curve's flat enough from like 25 mph on up. I've done entire rides to the grocery store a couple miles away and back without a shift. It can definitely putter along just fine in third at 30mph though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

and I can't close the visor all the way because it fogs a little even on a warm day like today.

Get a pinlock insert for your visor. If you can't fit a pinlock to your current visor, get a compatible visor for your helmet. If you can't get one for your helmet, throw it all in the trash and go buy a new helmet with a visor that takes pinlock. It's pretty amazing.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sure. But no bike a newbie is riding should have that kind of engine power though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh for sure!