Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Let's be clear: it's not as if git is trying and failing to hide the DAG behind some abstraction: it would be foolish to try to do so precisely because it would be inevitably leaky. There may be other leaky abstractions git presents, but that's not one of them. The point behind hammering importance of understanding that git is modeled as a dag is that it is the core model of the system. Could there be a far better interface for operating on it? Absolutely. Is it a failing of git that understanding that it's operating on a dag is so important? Not in my opinion, since I don't see a clear way personally to design a better system that would successfully abstract over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One failing of the git interface is that it never actually makes the nature of the graph apparent to the novice user.

Perhaps making the ascii-art commit graph the default format of git log would help.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are many improvements that could be made to the concept of a DAG-based version control tool. Git is a good early effort. You could probably get halfway to a next-generation design by setting up a bunch of well-named aliases.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jabor posted:

One failing of the git interface is that it never actually makes the nature of the graph apparent to the novice user.

Perhaps making the ascii-art commit graph the default format of git log would help.

It's sort of baffling that the graph isn't on by default. How are you supposed to read the history of anything involving non-ff merges without it?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I have no problem understanding DAGs, and I hate git's interface. Normally I know exactly what I want the DAG to look like in the end but it's a right pain to actually get it that way. I had no trouble learning mercurial (similar internal model) or darcs (also decentralised but different, also lol)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

The only intuitive user interface is the nipple. After that it’s all learned behavior.

Spoken like someone who's never had to teach a baby to loving just drink already.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
"Falsehoods programmers believe about user interfaces" :v:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

You're right. Dags are essential complexity at least for my workflow, and I think of using git as manipulating a dag (but using magit instead of the horrible CLI).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That AV has aged badly

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xarn posted:

That AV has aged badly

Much like his foot cheese, and unlike his pal Minsky's preference, it will only get better with age.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Xarn posted:

That AV has aged badly
:wrong: it's just as bad as it's ever been

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Twitter killed Javascript. I wish

Mr.Radar posted:

Twitter permanently suspended the official account of the Javascript standards committee for no discernible reason:

https://twitter.com/pcwalton/status/1181709530142347264

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Javascript has a standards committee?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Javascript has a standards committee?

Not any more

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

He says the email was inactive. I'm guessing he tweets through the API or in some other way triggered a bit flag, didn't respond to a prompt and got wiped.

Might as well start a new account with a better profile name. At least it's better than other standards committees who are probably still having greybeard grudge matches on newsgroups.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
https://twitter.com/EWGchair

https://twitter.com/EWGchair/status/1158460632787632128

https://twitter.com/EWGchair/status/1154799581542023169

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ola posted:

He says the email was inactive. I'm guessing he tweets through the API or in some other way triggered a bit flag, didn't respond to a prompt and got wiped.

The email notifying them of the ban (shown in Absurd Alhazred's post) is much more curt and final in its wording than I would expect if it were merely a matter of "hey you're not using this API correctly, change your behaviour please". The email is basically "you're a shithead and you're banned, gently caress off"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hammerite posted:

The email notifying them of the ban (shown in Absurd Alhazred's post) is much more curt and final in its wording than I would expect if it were merely a matter of "hey you're not using this API correctly, change your behaviour please". The email is basically "you're a shithead and you're banned, gently caress off"

I meant to say "bot flag", as in they thought he was a bot. They probably ban millions of accounts every day and deal with thousands of appealing assholes. So the messages about this are not very polite. His main account is obviously fine so it's not some nefarious personal grudge.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ola posted:

Might as well start a new account with a better profile name. At least it's better than other standards committees who are probably still having greybeard grudge matches on newsgroups.

Ah, the long arguments about whether Boost should just move over to CMake.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I just had the displeasure of using an online registration form that had the most galaxy-brained password entry field I’ve seen. After you input your password, it would erase it from the form (I assume it also stored it in a cookie or something) and then filled the field with literal * characters.

I noticed it was behaving kind of weird (after unfocusing the field a load spinner would appear and then the number of * would change) but I didn’t fully realize what was happening until I saw my password manager had literally stored “******************************” as the password.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

tankadillo posted:

I just had the displeasure of using an online registration form that had the most galaxy-brained password entry field I’ve seen. After you input your password, it would erase it from the form (I assume it also stored it in a cookie or something) and then filled the field with literal * characters.

I noticed it was behaving kind of weird (after unfocusing the field a load spinner would appear and then the number of * would change) but I didn’t fully realize what was happening until I saw my password manager had literally stored “******************************” as the password.
Q

This sounds like Lotus Notes, but Very Online. It had hieroglyphs that would change with every key press when entering a password. It's been 19 years since I used it and I still can't get over how bad it was.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 9, 2019

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

tankadillo posted:

That is weird and silly but why aren't you getting the password manager to generate the password for you?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hammerite posted:

That is weird and silly but why aren't you getting the password manager to generate the password for you?

A common workflow at least with last pass is to generate the pay with the app but then only save it on form submit when it can also get the login and site url. You could go through and create a whole login but may need to guess then what field it will consider the login.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hammerite posted:

Sounds like if the manager fills in the field and then the blur even fires for any reason, the value gets replaced. The managers I've used will dutifully record that new value on submit.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Hammerite posted:

Hughlander posted:

A common workflow at least with last pass is to generate the pay with the app but then only save it on form submit when it can also get the login and site url. You could go through and create a whole login but may need to guess then what field it will consider the login.

Munkeymon posted:

Sounds like if the manager fills in the field and then the blur even fires for any reason, the value gets replaced. The managers I've used will dutifully record that new value on submit.

Basically this. My workflow (with 1Password) is: generate password -> password autofills to form -> submit form -> save form data in manager.

The last step is kind of optional because it will automatically save the passwords you generate anyway, but saving it after the form submits also saves your username and other form data. Also I often have to generate a bunch of passwords before it finally makes one that conforms to website’s dozen password requirements.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 9, 2019

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I forgot that a lot of people use password managers that are integrated into the web browser. I just run the password manager application off a usb stick and copy-paste from it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It's not surprising to see the manual pasting and saving of generated passwords flow with LastPass because its browser plugin is hot garbage, at least compared to 1Password and Bitwarden

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Steve French posted:

It's not surprising to see the manual pasting and saving of generated passwords flow with LastPass because its browser plugin is hot garbage, at least compared to 1Password and Bitwarden

If you say so? This seems like a non sequitur

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Hammerite posted:

If you say so? This seems like a non sequitur

I suppose I was unclear and perhaps unnecessarily inflammatory, then. All three of them, in my experience, have the intended/ideal flow when generating a password that you just have the generator auto-fill the password form, and then the password along with the rest of the login is automatically saved (upon confirmation) for you.

In practice, I found this to be a very unreliable mechanism with Lastpass: often it would fail to autofill the correct entry box, or any at all, and more frequently it would fail to correctly capture / collect login details entered across multiple pages, or fail to present the save confirmation after those steps were completed. As a result, I found myself out of habit always generating a password, copying it to my clipboard myself, pasting it into the form, and then proceeding through the login flow so that if/when it failed to properly capture or fill everything, I could more easily correct that.

Bitwarden has been much more consistent for me, in that area as well as login autofill, both on desktop browsers and mobile (android) browsers and apps. Especially so on Android.

I also saw this the other day, FWIW

https://twitter.com/_pastelsky/status/1180864405648502784

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I’ll be god damned if I’m gonna let my passwords be protected by Javascript

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Literally Elvis posted:

I’ll be god damned if I’m gonna let my passwords be protected by Javascript

My bank account and other important stuff are all protected by physical tokens and/or in-memory storage. (Brain memory.)

Password managers exist mainly for your werewolf erotica forum accounts and stuff like that.

Incidentally, Bitwarden has a lightweight port that runs on Sqlite + Rust and it makes for a great Raspberry Pi installation.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Stack Overflow is melting down because they published a new code of conduct that has some stuff in it about pronouns and loads of people caught a case of the "what-ifs". I guess that's inevitable when you have a community that's so obsessed with petty rules-enforcement and process though.

also someone got fired or something? It seems like nobody over there is capable of approaching things like an adult for some reason.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's almost as though stackoverflow is mostly populated by bored children screwing around during class or something

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:suicide:
code:
    private Map getPeAddrOptions(String peId, boolean acFormat) {
        def addrs = autocompleteService.getPeAddresses(peId)

Map m = [:]
        addrs?.each { addr ->
            List fullAddr = [];
            def a = ['pe_addr1', 'pe_addr2', 'pe_addr3', 'pe_addr4']
            a?.each { 
                if (addr[it]?.trim()?.size() > 0) {
                    fullAddr << addr[it]?.trim();
                }
            }
            String city = "${addr.pe_city?.trim() ? addr.pe_city?.trim() + ', ' : ''} ${addr.pe_state_cd?.trim() ?: ''} " + 
                          " ${addr.pe_zip?.trim()?.replace('-', '&ndash;') ?: ''}";
            fullAddr << city;
            String val = "";
            if (!acFormat) {
                val = fullAddr.join("\n")
            } else {
                val = "${addr['pe_addr_cd']?.trim()} : ${addr.pe_addr1?.trim()} ... ${city} -  " + fullAddr.join(" | ")
            }
            if ("B1".equals(addr.pe_addr_cd?.trim())) {
                m.put(addr.pe_addr_cd, val);
            }
        }
        return m;
    }
Such a condensed pile of poop!
  • Groovy
  • Terrible variable names.
  • This is in a controller when it belongs in a service.
  • This is the only code that calls autocompleteService.getPeAddresses() so it could just be in that service.
  • Nothing here is covered by any tests.
  • So many things get trimmed multiple times for no reason.
  • That acFormat parameter is never true, of course.
  • Calling each {} and adding to a map, instead of just calling map {} (or collect {}, since this is Groovy code).
  • That a?.each {} null-safe call, even though we defined a right on the previous line.
And, finally, let's have the service return all the addresses for the given ID and do some processing on all of them, but then only add the one with the code "B1" to the map. :psyduck:

Oh well, time to rewrite this in a real language with some non-stupid structure!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So seeing "addr" and "pe" I thought it was going to be some windows debugging thing until it got talking about city and zip.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

What's the problem with LunarG?

i never responded to this because its a huge rant but thankfully a convenient shorthand has plopped in my lap https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-Tools/commit/c60f79013bd8abf65c9b680dfb3958fa27c8c1f6

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Suspicious Dish posted:

i never responded to this because its a huge rant but thankfully a convenient shorthand has plopped in my lap https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-Tools/commit/c60f79013bd8abf65c9b680dfb3958fa27c8c1f6

Wow.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh :eyepoop:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Does mock in the filename indicate that these were just mocks being used for tests or does it mean something else in the context of vulcan?

Also super loving bizarre to leave interpreting specs to someone that apparently doesn't understand the basic of the language or how to read a spec doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hahahahahahaha