Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

So I figured waiting a few days to update to Catalina would work out any issues but.....

Everything went fine except it won't let me sign into my Apple ID in the system preferences. The password is right it just bombs out for some reason.

OK well it must be a bug because it is doing it on both of my 2013 MBPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I was getting Apple ID weirdness, so I signed out and back in (same thing happened when I got iPad OS and that fixed it). The most annoying part was my computer deciding it had to upload my entire photo library to compare it with my iCloud library. I was worried I would end up with duplicates.

It worked fine in the end though, and that is my story, thank you.

Oh, I also thought I lost my music library for a second, but I had to turn iCloud music library back on in the Music app preferences.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The most annoying part was my computer deciding it had to upload my entire photo library to compare it with my iCloud library

It doesn't actually upload, as far as I can tell. Photos.app would say "Uploading 794..." or whatever, but watching my network activity, there was only a trickle. Uncapped I can upload 25mbit, which isn't a lot, but the system never exceeded ~1mbit in the 5-10 minutes I watched it, so I was pretty comfortable with the fact it wasn't actually reuploading everything. Did you have reason to believe it was actually transmitting everything? It's not a dealbreaker but it's not rocket science to run dedupe in two separate places so I would be shocked if Apple did decide to upload first ask questions later.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

So I figured waiting a few days to update to Catalina would work out any issues but.....

Everything went fine except it won't let me sign into my Apple ID in the system preferences. The password is right it just bombs out for some reason.

Rename your keychain folder. Then reboot. Resync your keychain from the cloud if you have it.

Hold down options and click on go in finder, go to library, find the keychain folder and rename it. Reboot and it should all work. Something went wrong for a lot of people in the Catalina upgrade with the keychain. It is causing chaos with logins.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IUG posted:

So Music and my iPhone sync has been a headache for me last night and this morning. I'm regretting updating so far. (I also don't want to bump my iTunes thread, so I'm ranting here.)

For one, all my album art is gone. I have 13,000+ tracks in Music, and it's been processing them for a while. I thought I ran it overnight, but the app was closed this morning when I woke up. So now 90% of my music doesn't have artwork. It seems if I had to copy/paste the album artwork into iTunes, then it shows up in Music.

Syncing itself seems to be a pain, with no way in the program to invoke a sync at demand. I have to switch to Finder and hope the button isn't grayed out for some reason. (I think part of it was I was attached to the 2.4GHz network, and not the 5GHz my laptop was.). Quitting Music seems to lock it up the few times I tried, and then I can't launch it again if I force quit it. I can't even reboot the computer, as it seems to be stuck waiting for Music to make it's mind (I think). I've already had to hold down the power button twice to reboot my laptop.

I listened to a track last night, and I swear it took more than one sync attempt to get that track updated in Music. It didn't show that track as my last played track for a while. This sucks when I have a playlist of "your new music for today", and if I don't complete the playlist on my phone, I don't know how long it'll take to remove those tracks on Music. Most of my playlists are smart playlists, and they're based on last played times.

And then there's this:

There's 3 more off the screen. I have no idea which playlists these actually are, and they show up properly in Music on my Mac.

I fixed this last night, except for the playlists thing. I had to move my album artwork folder out of the iTunes library, and let Music just get the album artwork from the server again. I have a 4GB folder (yikes) to go through for any of the album art that is missing, which is like 1,400 tracks out of the 13,000.

I still don't like the new syncing. I open Music anyways as I want to make sure it's actually syncing still, so it's just switching between apps to sync.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pivo posted:

It doesn't actually upload, as far as I can tell. Photos.app would say "Uploading 794..." or whatever, but watching my network activity, there was only a trickle. Uncapped I can upload 25mbit, which isn't a lot, but the system never exceeded ~1mbit in the 5-10 minutes I watched it, so I was pretty comfortable with the fact it wasn't actually reuploading everything. Did you have reason to believe it was actually transmitting everything? It's not a dealbreaker but it's not rocket science to run dedupe in two separate places so I would be shocked if Apple did decide to upload first ask questions later.

Oh, good. I didn't actually watch for network activity. I had hoped it would be smart enough to just look at the metadata to compare things, but the language of the dialog, combined with how ridiculously long it took made me think it might actually be taking the scenic route. The iCloud servers were probably getting hammered in the wake of the new OS release, anyway.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Anyone have any suggestions for fixing a stuck coreduetd process? It's perpetually running at 100% CPU. It's been happening since late 10.14, and unfortunately 10.15 didn't help.

Googling suggests it's related to Handoff, but disabling Handoff doesn't change anything. Also tried recreating my contacts and photo libraries (since Console is often full of contact sync errors regardless of if I have any contacts)

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

thanks!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Well drat, my Photos app is borked after upgrading to Catalina. I let it churn for a few days analyzing photos and then I noticed it wasn't syncing new photos. I look in Photos.app settings and iCloud syncing is turned off. When I try to turn it on, it pops up a message saying I don't have enough free space in iCloud (50 gigs of 200 free). I then checked Settings.app and under iCloud photos syncing is turned on so it should be working.

I'm thinking Photos thinks all of my photos are new and it's therefore trying to upload them all instead of syncing with iCloud? After upgrading a few days ago I had turned off iCloud and then turned it back on again to fix the login issue. Maybe it doesn't realize this library is the same library?

Can I just nuke my local Photos library, start over, and then just have Photos re-download everything? This is on my MBP, so I don't care about losing anything locally since I keep the full downloads on my iMac.

Edit: Yeah, doing that fixed it.

Violator fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 10, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/anfael_/status/1182380771039821824?s=21

https://twitter.com/mikearildbrown/status/1182253878026412032?s=21

There’s some, uh, issues

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 11, 2019

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
So far on a late 2013 MBP:

The drivers for my Logitech mouse (MX Anywhere 2) let me either have a middle click or a scroll wheel; but not both. Sometimes the back and forward buttons work like the middle button, sometimes they do nothing. :iiam:
If I log out then in again, or reboot the USB keyboard isn't detected until it gets reconnected.
Wifi, or any networking really takes a good minute or so after logging in before it even turns on.

After the update playing any music on my iPhone goes for 2-3 songs and just stops, this wasn't a problem before Catalina. edit: This seems to have fixed itself now, yay?
Thinking that maybe it's a library problem? I moved the iTunesMusic library onto an external drive, and reset location to ~/Music/Music/Media, apparently now I don't have enough storage space to consolidate the library back to the main drive?

:psyduck:

More edits since I just remembered it: It turns out that I had about 160GB of email drafts which weren't being purged because Mail.app and Gmail accounts disagree on how to deal with them, so ten years worth of messages/attachments adds up to a lot. After clearing them out and changing some settings so it shouldn't happen again (set the draft folder to local rather than the IMAP folder), I noticed that disk usage and free space aren't updating on the desktop icon unless you log out/reboot, but the cmd+I and file inspector windows show the correct information.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 11, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve never had so many weird little issues with an OS release like with this. What a buggy piece of poo poo.

eames
May 9, 2009

FCKGW posted:

There’s some, uh, issues

it feels like macOS (and iOS) releases accidentally switched from the stable to the weekly-builds branch and nobody noticed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I just read a post by Gruber that you can put your mouse pointer over any text and hit ctrl + cmd + d and it'll define the word for you. This is :aaa: stuff.

Wild EEPROM posted:

W r t the blurry text, you’re not just imagining it.

What monitor are you using? I had the same issue with my dell 2717, macOS thought it was a tv sobit did the text rendering as such.

Check out your “smooth font on lcd display” setting or whatever that’s called now as well.

https://www.iosinsight.com/fix-external-monitor-blurry-fonts-sierra/ for the first issue is what I used and it’s fine now.

I checked the display settings and my external monitor had the wrong profile selected. Tapped on the HP one (it's a HP monitor…) and things seem to be fine again. Either that, or my eyes have adjusted to it and I have terrible eyesight so I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks. I didn't think it was a cache issue so I didn't check that. It's fixed now too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ve never had so many weird little issues with an OS release like with this. What a buggy piece of poo poo.

The News app sucks in general, especially ever since they put in the Apple News+ bullshit that you can't disable or hide. The UI/UX is also an inconsistent mess: on the iPhone, swipe right to dislike an article but on the iPad, you need to open the article in order to dislike it. The news sources it gives you are weird, like it keeps recommending me stories from nazi trash right wing blogs despite how often I unlike it and then ban the source from showing up. I also dislike every single sports article that it thinks I'd like but nope, it still wants to tell me about someone's golf game or whatever. Half the videos it thinks I'd want to watch don't even load though I think that's because of the pi-hole on my home network. Then don't get me started on the notifications. Ideally I'd like to get notifications for actual important breaking news. Not some trash about how the new royals didn't do this and that for their new royal baby. And who's idea was it to make every single news source default to showing you notifications? Jesus christ.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I just read a post by Gruber that you can put your mouse pointer over any text and hit ctrl + cmd + d and it'll define the word for you. This is :aaa: stuff.
The "look up" functionality has been a thing for a few generations now. I've got a BTT gesture set to it, although the keyboard shortcut might be new. If the functionality is the same it should also open up a preview if you do it over a link.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've been doing that for years via Force Touch! Of course, that requires a Force Touch-capable trackpad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just use three-finger-tap for that, it’s the default gesture (though you might have to turn it on in the prefs).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I just use three-finger-tap for that, it’s the default gesture (though you might have to turn it on in the prefs).

what the gently caress :aaa:

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I want to say that after I updated to catalina(?) one of my external HD is unable to be detected. It can see my other external HD fine. Is there any way to see if my external HD is broken?

edit : I am unable to see it ik disk utility

nervana fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 11, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been having massive problems with Catalina staying on my WiFi on my early 2015 MBP. So far renewing the DHCP license and then rebooting seems to help, but I don't know if other people are having the same problem and it's been persistent. Anyone else have these issues?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Boris Galerkin posted:

what the gently caress :aaa:

If you are in Safari and do control-command-d on urls it will preview the page.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So how many in here are Mac admins? It's been a poo poo show here. Thankfully, we were able to block 10.15 downloads and installs before anyone could mash the update button on their computers. I've got a laundry list of applications that don't work. Some aren't a big deal but others are mission critical. It also sucks that they just dropped 10.15 without any heads up.

It also happened at the same time our org rolled out an entirely new Adobe licensing agreement and software, requiring remove old Adobe CC poo poo from literally every computer so it's been fun times here.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Adobe is supposed to be releasing a newer, presumably more Catalina / 64-bit friendly Creative Cloud installer next week so I can hardly (hah) wait.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
creative cloud is already on catalina

Violator
May 15, 2003

Saw this report about Mail data loss on Cataline. I don't know if it's a widespread issue, but kind of worrying and thought I would bring it up since at least for me email is mission critical.

quote:

Moving messages between mailboxes, both via drag-and-drop and AppleScript, can result in a blank message (only headers) on the Mac. If the message was moved to a server mailbox, other devices see the message as deleted. And eventually this syncs back to the first Mac, where the message disappears as well.

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/10/11/mail-data-loss-in-macos-10-15/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

pram posted:

creative cloud is already on catalina

I was talking about this, bwah..

https://9to5mac.com/2019/10/10/adobe-creative-cloud-desktop-mac-redesign/

I already know it runs on Catalina, this is a newer version of the menu bar app that can install CC apps.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh. looks awful. the current piece of poo poo already takes up 1gb of memory if you leave it running long enough

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

When I upgraded to Catalina on monday CC updated and I got that version, weird that they are saying it's rolling out today.

pram posted:

oh. looks awful. the current piece of poo poo already takes up 1gb of memory if you leave it running long enough

It doesn't seem to use too much (50mb) but I haven't left it up that long either. It looks like Electron but it feels native so who knows really.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 11, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Violator posted:

Saw this report about Mail data loss on Cataline. I don't know if it's a widespread issue, but kind of worrying and thought I would bring it up since at least for me email is mission critical.

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/10/11/mail-data-loss-in-macos-10-15/

Thanks for posting this. I held back on the upgrade because I’m not in the mood for little bugs but that could’ve turned into disaster.
Apparently it won’t even import old backups because they are incompatible, so one would have to restore back to Mojave to get the mail back.
Is there anything that needs to be done so Mojave doesn’t attempt to automatically upgrade over night or are macOS updates still 100% user initiated?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You'll have an annoying little red dot on your settings app but I don't think it can update itself without like 3 different confirmations from you.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IUG posted:

And then there's this:

There's 3 more off the screen. I have no idea which playlists these actually are, and they show up properly in Music on my Mac.

Just as an update, I did a backup and restore of my phone today, and these loving playlists came back. They were even there when I told Finder to not sync any of my music before the wipe. What a trash fire.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but i'm at my wits end and was hoping for help on my mac mini 2018.

I upgraded to Catalina not knowing what it was, and figured "what's the worst that could happen?". Well, when the update was complete one my my monitors in my triple 4k monitor setup stopped working. The triple monitors work fine on my windows computer so I was confused. I called apple, and they tried to troubleshoot over the phone, but ultimately told me to go to the apple store. I went to the apple store, and they tried troubleshooting, said they couldn't fix it, and then offered to reinstall mojave. Well, they ended up not being able to install mojave because of the security chip or something so they told me that there was nothing they could do and that I would have to wait for a patch to be released.

I then went and found one of those apple repair places, and asked them if they could reinstall mojave. They said they could. I took it in, and I confirmed in store that mojave was installed. They didn't have 3 4k monitors in the store to test it, so I just brought it home. I still can't use triple 4k monitors. What am i supposed to do now? I need 3 monitors for work, and my monitors are setup in a monitor stand so I cant just replace one without the huge hassle of taking all the monitors down with someone helping me. Why doesn't it work on the old operating system anymore?

To give you more background on the problem: If you have 3 monitors plugged in, one won't work. The monitor that won't work will start working if you unplug one of the other monitors. If you go into display, and click 'gather windows' sometimes the third monitor will show up. It will recognize it is there but it won't work.

If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated.

eames
May 9, 2009

I found something useful for myself, use at your own risk:

sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

(to reset: sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --reset-ignored)

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

eames posted:

I found something useful for myself, use at your own risk:

sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

(to reset: sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --reset-ignored)

:boom:

Violator
May 15, 2003

UtahIsNotAState posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but i'm at my wits end and was hoping for help on my mac mini 2018.

I upgraded to Catalina not knowing what it was, and figured "what's the worst that could happen?". Well, when the update was complete one my my monitors in my triple 4k monitor setup stopped working. The triple monitors work fine on my windows computer so I was confused. I called apple, and they tried to troubleshoot over the phone, but ultimately told me to go to the apple store. I went to the apple store, and they tried troubleshooting, said they couldn't fix it, and then offered to reinstall mojave. Well, they ended up not being able to install mojave because of the security chip or something so they told me that there was nothing they could do and that I would have to wait for a patch to be released.

I then went and found one of those apple repair places, and asked them if they could reinstall mojave. They said they could. I took it in, and I confirmed in store that mojave was installed. They didn't have 3 4k monitors in the store to test it, so I just brought it home. I still can't use triple 4k monitors. What am i supposed to do now? I need 3 monitors for work, and my monitors are setup in a monitor stand so I cant just replace one without the huge hassle of taking all the monitors down with someone helping me. Why doesn't it work on the old operating system anymore?

To give you more background on the problem: If you have 3 monitors plugged in, one won't work. The monitor that won't work will start working if you unplug one of the other monitors. If you go into display, and click 'gather windows' sometimes the third monitor will show up. It will recognize it is there but it won't work.

If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Does this help?

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/371894/macos-catalina-external-displays-are-black-but-i-can-move-the-cursor-on-them

Googling about “macOS Catalina multiple monitors” (or variations) brings up a couple different solutions, but I’m not too hip with that stuff because it’s been a while since I’ve messed with it.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!

Violator posted:

Does this help?

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/371894/macos-catalina-external-displays-are-black-but-i-can-move-the-cursor-on-them

Googling about “macOS Catalina multiple monitors” (or variations) brings up a couple different solutions, but I’m not too hip with that stuff because it’s been a while since I’ve messed with it.

So I had got the store to reinstall Mojave, so I can't use the catalina advice, but I finally got it to work like before. I was debating buying a 2k monitor because in the apple store it worked with 2 4k and 1 2k monitor, but was worried about spending all the money on a 2k monitor and having to take down the monitor stand. So I have a 1080p monitor that I use for a different work laptop, and I plugged that in instead of the third 4k monitor. The 1080p monitor worked, and the other two 4k monitors worked. Then, I unplugged the 1080p monitor and then replugged in the third 4k monitor and it immediately started working. I was so relieved. I have no clue why that worked.

I don't know how, why, or what happened but this has been an absolute nightmare to deal with. I'm never updating an OS again unless its been out for a while.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I'm attempting to do an iPhone restore in Catalina. It gives me the prompt to download 13.1.2 just fine and all but then I'm given a screen in Finder telling me that my mac is downloading the file and will install once it's done. That's fine but is there no way to check and make sure it's actually downloading anything? Before with iTunes in Mojave I'd have a little download bar showing me that it's downloading the file for restore but unless I'm missing something here Catalina doesn't have that at all.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I couldn't find any progress bars for operations-in-progress at all when I synced my old iPod with Catalina's new Finder thing. I have no idea where/if they actually show it anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I couldn't find any progress bars for operations-in-progress at all when I synced my old iPod with Catalina's new Finder thing. I have no idea where/if they actually show it anymore :(

I ended up just doing this on a Windows PC with iTunes so I could see it's downloading but it's wild to me that Catalina would take this thing out.