Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

The item I'm most interested in is being addressed by Dark Fate. It looks like it will poke at the T-800 after it has learned to the point it is independent and capable of own thinking and decisions, following the end of T2.

Except the T-800 kind of got a little melty at the end of T2.

I just have no faith in a Terminator movie written by David Goyer and the guy who wrote such noted cinematic classics as Hart's War, Color of Night, Volcano and Overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Except the T-800 kind of got a little melty at the end of T2.

I just have no faith in a Terminator movie written by David Goyer and the guy who wrote such noted cinematic classics as Hart's War, Color of Night, Volcano and Overlord.

Yeah, I wasn't quite trying to imply it was the same T-800 but that's how my wording makes it sound. I meant in spirit this takes place as the next step after T2.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The plot was leaked and apparently the film opens shortly after the end of T2 and another T-800, the one played by Arnold in this film, walks in and blows John Connor away with a shotgun in like the first five minutes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The plot was leaked and apparently the film opens shortly after the end of T2 and another T-800, the one played by Arnold in this film, walks in and blows John Connor away with a shotgun in like the first five minutes.

Sounds about right for that shithead Goyer.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The TV show existed, and it was mediocre “Agents of Shield” stuff. These things all have been met with widespread indifference. (This post is probably the most anyone has bothered to read T23D.) But the show had likeable characters? GI JOE had likeable chatscters. That’s not what makes a good narrative. People will post examples of the TV show’s greatest moments, and they’re invariably crap because fans are like “I love when that T-1000 character turns into a urinal and kills everyone!” and ignore that that story is told very badly.
Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The moment I heard Edward Furlong was going to be involved, I knew they were going to kill him off for 'shock' value.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

I like to think he tries to say "please come back later" but a bug in the code makes gently caress YOU come out

Deleted character from T1 hacked the T-800 early in the movie and installed a virus that changes everything it wants to say into insults.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The plot leak gets a little more... Weird.

A Terminator comes back and successfully kills John Connor. Evidently Skynet had shotgunned them back to all sorts of times and places to get to him*. That successful Terminator just kind of... Goes on with its own quiet life now that its mission is complete. Sarah becomes a revenge addict and hunts down any Terminators she can find and wastes them. The T-800 eventually begins feeling remorse (presumably, also pity and fear?) and actively sends text messages to Sarah somehow with coordinates where other Terminators are going to show up so she can destroy them.

*Why Uncle Bob wouldn't presumably also know this and not stay to protect John is sort of a major plot hole. The plot of the first two showed the Resistance could track exactly where and when hostile Terminators were sent.

poo poo sounds weird and it could work in the right hands but I'm hesitant.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Wild T posted:

The plot of the first two showed the Resistance could track exactly where and when hostile Terminators were sent.
my new Terminator concept: going off of the time machine's event logs, the Resistance sends over a dozen of its best fighters all over a ~50 year span of recent history to stop the various Terminators sent by Skynet, not realizing that the time machine is just straight up disintegrating whatever's inside of it when it's not recalibrated properly after the first few shots and that most of event logs are faked.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: going off of the time machine's event logs, the Resistance sends over a dozen of its best fighters all over a ~50 year span of recent history to stop the various Terminators sent by Skynet, not realizing that the time machine is just straight up disintegrating whatever's inside of it when it's not recalibrated properly after the first few shots and that most of event logs are faked.

Two of the resistance fighters are partially fused together and heavily damaged on a genetic level, then accidently teleported to a Norwegian Antarctic research station circa 1981.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sky net sends a Terminator back in time millions of years ago who has his learning chip on and as he grows, lives through extinction events, he eventually wants to guide humanity in an expansion of his programming to save it and change the future so Man is good enough to live with machines peacefully. He is then crucified, has his power core leak when stabbed, and rises 3 days later after rerouting, his programming is reset and learning forgotten. Now the agent of Rome must hunt him down and stop him before an Empire falls.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gatts posted:

Sky net sends a Terminator back in time millions of years ago who has his learning chip on and as he grows, lives through extinction events, he eventually wants to guide humanity in an expansion of his programming to save it and change the future so Man is good enough to live with machines peacefully. He is then crucified, has his power core leak when stabbed, and rises 3 days later after rerouting, his programming is reset and learning forgotten. Now the agent of Rome must hunt him down and stop him before an Empire falls.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=8V4Yzif8jQY&start1=1&video2=Hmtct-aWXMk&start2=1&authorName=why+we+slap

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Arnold is slow and stupid in T1. He has the gun pointed directly at Sarah Connor's forehead and pauses to calculate(???) before he can pull the trigger. Fans imagine him to be this super-skilled gunman and hand-to-hand combatant, but he actually sucks at it! The robot's most impressive feat is actually being able to dress himself and walk without falling over. Point being that fans "like the character" while ignoring the characterization of him as brutal but shambling, and clumsy.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah actually your whole point about the T800 being kinda dumb really stuck with me. He gets tossed through a window and lies there like a dork for 8 seconds or so. Watching the first encounter with the busted up T600 in Salvation is a pretty accurate to your characterization: here's a very tough robot with heavy artillery who can't hit anything and falls for obvious traps.
my new Terminator concept: Judgement Day has come... and it's a complete boondoggle. The distributed part of Skynet has been voluntarily spread all over the world by people, in the form of SkyCoin, but it runs like complete rear end and turns out to be more of a hindrance to Skynet core than anything else. Barely over half of the ICBMs make it to their destinations. Even accounting for the ones that sucked a quadcopter into a jet intake, HK pathfinding is a shitshow and they crash into things constantly. The human targeting systems on all of Skynet's units only seem to recognize certain ranges of skin color, and the resulting people who have been left alone in Skynet-controlled zones discover that despite their clumsiness otherwise, Terminators are weirdly good at maintaining balance and recovering from being kicked.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: Judgement Day has come... and it's a complete boondoggle. The distributed part of Skynet has been voluntarily spread all over the world by people, in the form of SkyCoin, but it runs like complete rear end and turns out to be more of a hindrance to Skynet core than anything else. Barely over half of the ICBMs make it to their destinations. Even accounting for the ones that sucked a quadcopter into a jet intake, HK pathfinding is a shitshow and they crash into things constantly. The human targeting systems on all of Skynet's units only seem to recognize certain ranges of skin color, and the resulting people who have been left alone in Skynet-controlled zones discover that despite their clumsiness otherwise, Terminators are weirdly good at maintaining balance and recovering from being kicked.

There has to be a scene where a bunch of Terminators are looking at a screen as this goes down awaiting instructions from Skynet and it just reads out "THIS IS IN FACT A MASSIVE VICTORY FOR SKYCOIN BECAUSE..."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

lol if this is the final score for the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qMAsRuaMNw

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am so confused. What propels him over the railing? He's getting shot, but it's not really altering his path, and then WELP OVER THE SIDE.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

I am so confused. What propels him over the railing?

The script.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

I am so confused. What propels him over the railing? He's getting shot, but it's not really altering his path, and then WELP OVER THE SIDE.

Getting shot slightly alters his path, and his own momentum carries him over the railing. It just looks really goofy because he seemingly just wants to play a game of tag, and Sarah is spoiling all the fun.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fish Noise posted:

Tbf Skynet being incredibly inefficient and only managing to distribute itself and consume all available computing power/bandwidth to no end, effectively DDOSing the entire planet forever, would still probably cause a collapse of modern society and kill a ton of people.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
judgement day, but skynet is an elon musk creation so the robots are super shoddy, blowing up and crashing into things as they aim for people, fire trucks, etc. robots hardlocking and needing a tow back to the service center. it ends up as a groundbreaking and revolutionary stalemate

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lol if this is the final score for the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qMAsRuaMNw

I don't know if the score or the CGI is worse. Holy poo poo, this is going to be a tire fire.

Edit: And remember, Cameron's involvement in this was emailing story ideas and script notes to the writers--David Goyer and Billy Ray--during breaks on the set of the Avatar sequels. The heavy promotion of his involvement is almost entirely PR bunk.

Timby fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 15, 2019

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Seeing stuff like this really reinforces my appreciation of timeless grounded portrayals of heroes like in Die Hard 1. This same scene could've benefited from a little tension and drama from Sarah not being so infallibly confident in her ability to stop this super terminator.

Plus, as this was pretty much the first scene they showed of this movie from the original teasers, it wrecked any chance of hype or anticipation about this new villain before the film's release a long time ago. It'd be like showing Thanos get smacked around by bored Avengers for a teaser to Infinity War.

Just a whole lot of fumbles at every step of this movie.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah pretty much all Terminator films after 2 have the trailers just dunking on the robots when they should really try to have them look like horrifying murder machines

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Timby posted:

I don't know if the score or the CGI is worse. Holy poo poo, this is going to be a tire fire.

that shot of it lying on the ground after she hits it with the truck LOL

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

that shot of it lying on the ground after she hits it with the truck LOL

I had this issue with Genisys too, like, it's a TERMINATOR movie how are you not gonna have fuckin' awesome effects? Even Salvation has great effects and that's one of the worst movies ever made. Like Terminator 3 has CG that doesn't hold up today but it was still excellent when the movie first dropped.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Yeah pretty much all Terminator films after 2 have the blue plasma beams when they should really try to have them look purple

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neo Rasa posted:

I had this issue with Genisys too, like, it's a TERMINATOR movie how are you not gonna have fuckin' awesome effects? Even Salvation has great effects and that's one of the worst movies ever made. Like Terminator 3 has CG that doesn't hold up today but it was still excellent when the movie first dropped.

Genisys has some pretty sweet cgi actually, like the mri machine loving up John

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I actually liked how Genisys made John look. Like, the gang destroys the Terminators from Terminator 1 and 2 and 3 relatively easy and then John just fucks their poo poo up. I liked how they had to resort to outlandish gimmicks like the MRI and magnetic brass knuckles to even hang with John.

This one looks like it takes more cues from Terminator 3.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think there's a decent movie somewhere in Genesys, and if people weren't so indifferent to it, I bet some fan would re-edit it to work around the really dumb poo poo, it'd probably be a solid film. But drat they really hosed up with casting Jai Courtney and to a lesser extent Emilia Clarke.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

iamsosmrt posted:

I think there's a decent movie somewhere in Genesys, and if people weren't so indifferent to it, I bet some fan would re-edit it to work around the really dumb poo poo, it'd probably be a solid film. But drat they really hosed up with casting Jai Courtney and to a lesser extent Emilia Clarke.

My biggest issue with Genisys was how hosed up they got Sarah and Kyle looking. I know Clarke is just short, but I was skeeved out throughout the whole movie because Sarah felt at least fifteen or twenty years younger than Kyle.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Here's a description of the original Kyle Reese actor from James Cameron himself, "To me, [Biehn] was the quintessential man, expressing the male values I admire — strength, honesty, a sense of duty, conviction," Cameron wrote in an email from the New Zealand set of his upcoming Avatar sequels. "He wasn’t too glib — his charisma didn’t come from that too-cool-for-school wit or sarcasm like a lot of young actors — he wore his heart on his sleeve."

He basically described the opposite of Jai Courtney, which is of course, Michael Biehn. Biehn's portrayal is yet another great example of a character whose reactions alone are enough to relay the tension and danger a Terminator chasing after you.

Though as far as age goes, Jai and Clarke are actually almost the same age, though when it was made she looked very young for 27, whereas I think she actually looks like she's in her late 20s now (she's 32).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Genisys has some pretty sweet cgi actually, like the mri machine loving up John

That part is legit great and genuinely striking because I don't think anything quite like it has been done before. What really killed it for me is the regular use of fully CG vehicles like the helicopter chase and especially when the bus is hanging off the bridge. Then the establishing shots for the campus at the end and a lot of the stuff in the climax in general looked really weak to me.

I have to agree that SkyNetJohn was the strongest thing in the movie and made for the most interesting stuff. Or like the way they trap the T-1000 that comes through and take it out relatively easily. Instead of making Genisys a huge epic thing it would have been cool to lean into slasher/horror territory more like Terminator 1 and have it be about all the creative stuff they have to do to keep Evil John at bay.

Jai Courtney is just, like, I genuinely don't understand how that dude gets work, he's awful all the time imo.

IIRC part of his and Clarke's casting as Kyle and Sarah was that they wanted to go for how these two might be assuming other Terminator stuff happened and they're both rolling around with foreknowledge of everything. So like Sarah's had this upbringing of being cared for by THE TERMINATOR so she didn't need to bulk up as much herself to hang with folks. And Reese/John know what's happening so no way Reese wasn't going to get some special treatment and not be the emaciated/scarred/etc. hosed up dude we got in Terminator 1. He's the chosen one of the story or so thinks.

It's interesting but the movie doesn't really go into that much and the casting of both of them still turned out awful though.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

from them going out of their way to show bits of a less robotic personality in the various trailers and the leaks saying something about Legion Terminators basically originating from cyber-enhanced cops, I wonder if the Rev-9 is drawing from the same well as Genisys' John Connornator.

Neo Rasa posted:

So like Sarah's had this upbringing of being cared for by THE TERMINATOR so she didn't need to bulk up as much herself to hang with folks.
at the same time, the Terminator is supposed to be preparing her, so it kinda comes across like maybe its files on child care aren't very good???

hm!

my new Terminator concept: The Terminanny

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

I haven't watched Terminator 3 in years, but I only remember one really bad CG shot. It's during the crane chase and all of a sudden the crane looks like it's made of foam.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The thing that strikes me about Genisys is the handling of John Connor/JohnSkyNet/the T-3000. It seems very obvious that the antagonist of Genisys was John Connor who had been turned into a machine being, creating a form of co-existence between man and Skynet. Kind of similar to Terminator Salvation, and maybe even echoing back to the original idea from the first Terminator, that Skynet arranged things how it did to destroy itself out of guilt at almost wiping out humanity. John Connor might be machine but he talks like John, acts like John, and thinks like John. He doesn't even seem particularly knowledgable about his own capabilities in this new form. Note the astounded look on his face during the final fight when he lays out the T-800 on the ground with, like, one punch. As that fight - and the whole film - goes on, John Connor gets a better idea of what he can actually do. As John says, it all happened because Sarah taught him survival at any cost.

I feel like someone thought this isn't a right fit for Terminator, or that audiences wouldn't understand it, or it'd make Sarah and Kyle look kind of psychotic. So, that's why there's the mind-bogglingly weird scene in the van where, like, Sarah and Pops lay out the whole history of this supposed T-3000 class of Terminator and point out, repeatedly, that it's not John and, in fact, he's completely insane and has to be put down because Skynet has reprogrammed him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The thing that strikes me about Genisys is the handling of John Connor/JohnSkyNet/the T-3000. It seems very obvious that the antagonist of Genisys was John Connor who had been turned into a machine being, creating a form of co-existence between man and Skynet. Kind of similar to Terminator Salvation, and maybe even echoing back to the original idea from the first Terminator, that Skynet arranged things how it did to destroy itself out of guilt at almost wiping out humanity. John Connor might be machine but he talks like John, acts like John, and thinks like John. He doesn't even seem particularly knowledgable about his own capabilities in this new form. Note the astounded look on his face during the final fight when he lays out the T-800 on the ground with, like, one punch. As that fight - and the whole film - goes on, John Connor gets a better idea of what he can actually do. As John says, it all happened because Sarah taught him survival at any cost.

I feel like someone thought this isn't a right fit for Terminator, or that audiences wouldn't understand it, or it'd make Sarah and Kyle look kind of psychotic. So, that's why there's the mind-bogglingly weird scene in the van where, like, Sarah and Pops lay out the whole history of this supposed T-3000 class of Terminator and point out, repeatedly, that it's not John and, in fact, he's completely insane and has to be put down because Skynet has reprogrammed him.

The beauty of Genesis is that both these interpretations are true. That character is John Connor, but moreso. He’s John Connor on the Limitless drug: superintelligent as well as immortal, he can have anything he wants. Therefore his actions are the result of John’s (and Sarah’s) ideological failure: the prioritization of survival over freedom.

Fighting to protect humanity, John creates the new Genisys OS in order to defeat Skynet - replacing it with a kinder and gentler version. John’s goal is genuinely to ensure humanity’s survival by making them immortal. There’s no deception there.

But from another perspective, this is not John, because Genisys is Skynet and John is supposed to defeat Skynet.

One of the great quirks of the film is that revolutionary slogan “Genisys is Skynet” literally appears out of nowhere. Thanks to the crazy logic of time travel, Reese just believes it because he believes it. A fragment of a memory from a vanished universe triggers an infinite loop of Kyle telling this phrase to his younger self, so that he’ll remember to tell this phrase to his younger self, so that he’ll remember to tell this phrase to his younger self....

But, to put things even more specifically, this “T-3000” must come from somewhere. It must inevitably be born and sent back in time. So: do Sarah and Kyle eventually gently caress? If they do, then this is literally their son. If no, then it’s a facsimile of John from the deleted timeline, built by Genisys in order to fool them into believing they’ll gently caress. And it’s impossible to know for sure until that particular waveform collapses.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

But, to put things even more specifically, this “T-3000” must come from somewhere. It must inevitably be born and sent back in time. So: do Sarah and Kyle eventually gently caress? If they do, then this is literally their son. If no, then it’s a facsimile of John from the deleted timeline, built by Genisys in order to fool them into believing they’ll gently caress. And it’s impossible to know for sure until that particular waveform collapses.

Didn't this movie play at multiverses? Meaning each individual character is basically from a separate universe at this point and thus don't technically have the connections of their own lore-counterparts. If this was the case, then he's not their son, and if these two did mate, their offspring could be a very different person.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think the cleverest thing the film does is have Sarah and company literally try to kill Skynet/Genisys/whatever in the cradle. Like no poo poo the AI wants to kill people they've tried to kill it since infancy

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

We had a talk in the comic thread about how Doctor Doom puts mind control chips in people that means he can take over their bodies at any time, and this is known by everyone who lives in his country. And how that would be an interesting exploration because certain people would act like how Doctor Doom wants them to act so that he doesn't actually activate the chip, and stuff like that.

It occurs to me you could do the same thing with the T-3000. Maybe "Skynet" can do a few limited things with Connor's body - well Connor wouldn't want that, like most humans he wants as much autonomy as possible, so he would gradually come around to do the things that he thinks "Skynet" wants him to do. Thus in effect becoming Skynet in mind as well as deed. I think that might have been an interesting tack to take with that concept, instead of "oh he's crazy now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

iamsosmrt posted:

Didn't this movie play at multiverses? Meaning each individual character is basically from a separate universe at this point and thus don't technically have the connections of their own lore-counterparts. If this was the case, then he's not their son, and if these two did mate, their offspring could be a very different person.

Sort-of, but not exactly.

Robo-John-Connor is like the “Genisys is Skynet” message. He technically originates from an “alternate universe” - but, now that he’s in this universe, he’s caught up in its new causality. He exists, and that existence must have an explanation. This means his origin is rewritten, in the same way Kyle suddenly gains memories of a different childhood.

As gone over a little earlier in the thread, this was always the case. It’s just that T2 cuts to credits before the implications of “Uncle Bob’s” sacrifice sink in.