Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Labour should make sure low income voters know that the Tories want them to die because they believe them to be genetically inferior and a burden on society, imo. Just do it in a very matter of fact, old fashioned public information film style. It's not like we are lacking evidence at this stage.

crispix fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

chird posted:

My own mother just sent me a super racist joke about black people. I said it was offensive and racist and she was like 'what's the difference between saying that and saying us Scots are all drunks?'

What is the correct response to this? I'm just kinda reeling she sent it tbh, thanks Daily Mail or whoever turned my folks' brain to mush

Not much, really and people shouldn't say all Scots are drunks. However I'd say it's worse because black people have been and still are structurally oppressed by Western society on a global and individual scale which Scottish people don't have to face. You don't see cops shooting up a bunch of people for being Scottish, for example.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgouAifPOvg

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

These antibiotics are giving me weird dreams. Last night I was voted sexist man.

Ok, but what was your dream about?

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Rarity posted:

Not much, really and people shouldn't say all Scots are drunks. However, I'd say it's worse because black people have been and still are structurally oppressed by Western society on a global and individual scale which Scottish people don't have to face. You don't see cops shooting up a bunch of people for being Scottish, for example.

Thanks, those are also my thoughts on the issue and you've put it more eloquently than I could.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

A purrfect evening with this handsome cat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

chird posted:

My own mother just sent me a super racist joke about black people. I said it was offensive and racist and she was like 'what's the difference between saying that and saying us Scots are all drunks?'

What is the correct response to this? I'm just kinda reeling she sent it tbh, thanks Daily Mail or whoever turned my folks' brain to mush
I've heard people from London say "I hope Scotland does become independent so we can deport all the drunk bastards off of our benches, they're useless" so I guess conceptually not much, only the magnitude of the likely systemic effects tending to be higher for people of African descent. Maybe don't say either.

Rarity posted:

Not much, really and people shouldn't say all Scots are drunks. However I'd say it's worse because black people have been and still are structurally oppressed by Western society on a global and individual scale which Scottish people don't have to face. You don't see cops shooting up a bunch of people for being Scottish, for example.
The Met did kill Harry Stanley because he was Scottish. But mostly because they couldn't tell the difference between a Scottish decorator with a chair leg and an Irishman with a sawn off shotgun, so that's more misdirected Hibernophobia.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

As usual, Rarity is correct.

Jokes about any stereotype (racial, national, gendered etc) are poo poo and offensive, but also generally lazy and not very funny either.

Actually somewhat related to a thought I was having the other day while watching Flowers (yeah I'm several years behind on this one). Would the character of Shun be as good if he was a white dude from the Home Counties? If not, why not, and is that ok?

e: vvv Yeah that's pretty good. The English are the exception to the rule because we're scum who deserve everything thrown at us

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 11, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
idk, this is funny
https://twitter.com/ahhmandah/status/1136001174870454272

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Considering the majority of Scots are white af (and all stereotypes of Scots tend only to apply to the white Scots [it’s because in the eyes of the bigot, the brown ones aren’t true Scotsmen :v: ]) it’s definitely different.

The only thing that would give me away down south would be my accent, which I could adapt, whereas black people can’t just become white and thus avoid being stigmatised - not to mention all I would need to deal with is some dumb old stereotype about being drunk as opposed to being job stealing vermin and systemically discriminated against or whatever the racism du jour is for bame people.

E: should clarify, they’re different, one has much greater material damage than the other, but they’re both still lovely.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Renewed my Labour party labourship. Let's do this thing

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Scots steal our cattle, not our jobs, hth

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Other english are the worst thing to happen to the english.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thinking about it, p. much all actual violence against Scots, whether from police or from other types of racist, are because English racists are too dim to tell the difference between Scots and Irish, in the same way that there was an uptick in violence against Ulster Scots living in England whenever there was an IRA attack even though that makes zero sense.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Thinking about it, p. much all actual violence against Scots, whether from police or from other types of racist, are because English racists are too dim to tell the difference between Scots and Irish, in the same way that there was an uptick in violence against Ulster Scots living in England whenever there was an IRA attack even though that makes zero sense.

I mean, are Ulster Scots visually or aurally distinguishable from Nationalists, assuming they aren't literally wearing a sash and that natty little bowler hat?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surrounded by a perpetual ambiance of pipe music and catholic jokes.

I once knew a guy who was scotnat/ulster unionist and liked calling his cat a "dirty feinian", real charmer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 11, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

scotnat/ulster unionist
So his ideal end state would be a union between Scotland and the North of Ireland?

I mean it does make a small bit more sense than Scotland leaving the UK but NI staying in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

So his ideal end state would be a union between Scotland and the North of Ireland?

I mean it does make a small bit more sense than Scotland leaving the UK but NI staying in.

I can only assume so, I genuinely did not want to know his politics any further than I had to.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

That would irk me so much just based on it being two bits of two islands. Like, make up your mind and make the country a full island geez

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty borders nationalism is a powerful force.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I love this because with his leg on the book and the encroaching glass of wine it's like one of those classic "casually pictured with things from your profession/interests" portraits from the 17/18 Century

Also because that cat just looks cool as gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wait, I think I've got it, UK remains with Queen as Sovereign of a United Kingdom of Real Protestants, England and Wales get kicked out for being suspect and having pope hats.

That's the only way I think you could combine the two.

And also solve Brexit, by moving the border to Berwick.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

chird posted:

1. The truth is always a defence.
2. Because saying Scots are drunk is not really a good thing to say anyway. Even if it's partially statistically true, nobody should perpetuate Being Drunk as an important part of the Scottish identity.
3. Explain punching up vs punching down. As an Englishman I shouldn't have made the joke in 1.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The UK, Scotland included, has a monstrous colonial legacy with regard to black people and a racial hierarchy that saw them as barely human and enslaved and killed them in vast numbers until really pretty recently. The Scots also got some of this but barely in comparison to the colonies or the Irish and in a lot of cases they were on the front lines of doing it.

What was done to their country and the legacy of racism that endures to this day pales in comparison between the Scots and the African and Carribean parts of our empire.

Read Natives by Akala, its well good mate.

E saying that it's the same thing is basically like saying a white man calling a black man n***er is the same as a black man calling a white man cracker. Yes, technically they are the same basic thing but only if you ignore all the context in the world.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 11, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

chird posted:

I would say the Scots thing is also racist as the term is used these days (though Scots aren't a 'race' per se).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/Reporter_Dan/status/1182592300888838145?s=19

Starting to be able to tell when there's an XR flash mob going down by the sudden appearance of TSG vans speeding up Piccadilly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I would say the Scots thing is also racist as the term is used these days (though Scots aren't a 'race' per se).

Somewhere, jacob rees mogg just popped a monocle and doesn't know why.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pochoclo posted:

That would irk me so much just based on it being two bits of two islands. Like, make up your mind and make the country a full island geez

Mortal Engines prequel looking positively gaelic.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Rarity posted:

Be prepared for her to argue that the police only shoot wrong 'uns when they're afeard for their lives though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/joelgolby/status/1182592693697961985?s=19

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i'm not racist but irn bru is crap now

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Ulster Scots is a heritage and it is not the same thing as loyalism.

Were it not for loyalism Ulster Scots now would likely be just a distinct flavour of Irishness, as it really ought to be imo. I'm not even sure that will ever be possible now.

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 11, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, but there was an increase in violence against people of Ulster Scots heritage living in England due to anti-Irish sentiment inflamed by the IRA, which makes even less sense than the increase in violence against people from the Republic living in England, and is about on the level of attacking turban-wearing Sikh men for being Muslim terrorists, which also happens.

(Racists aren't smart.)

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/joelgolby/status/1182592958266269696

Ratjaculation posted:

i'm not racist but irn bru is crap now

Scottish nationalism would be at least 50% more palatable if there wasn't this weird investment in quite poo poo things as being synonymous with Scottish identity

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

chird posted:

Scots don't continue to suffer the consequences of centuries of systemic racism and also there's a difference between race and nationality even if both are made up

E: and that's why you refresh before you post. Pretty much what the others said.

E2: that said there's an interesting history of actual racism towards highland Scots who were portrayed quite similarly to the Irish by - you guessed it - their very anglicised lowland counterparts.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 11, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1182461026010308610

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Trump is secretly funding Biden's campaign because he want out of the job and for a guy to replace him who makes him look eloquent and statesmanlike by comparison :bahgawd:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Sounds great, where do I sign up?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Glad the fubpees are signifying whether or not they’ve got full blown brain spiders in their usernames now

I've seen a few of these spiders now on twitter next to fubpees, what are they supposed to represent? Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've seen a few of these spiders now on twitter next to fubpees, what are they supposed to represent? Anyone know?

I assume it's from the kickin' rad spider brooch won by Lady Whatserface when she undid the prorogation.

Also brainspiders