Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The CG backgrounding in No Guns Life is absolutely aces and perfectly pannable and Madhouse is already flexing in the regular animation too. Lighting a cigarette off bullets being fired at you is probably the most character defining casual cool anime bullshit I've ever enjoyed ... and then he punches a train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Africa no Salaryman was pretty good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

i don't think you're supposed to be endeared to the cautious hero, it's a show about RPG characters dealing with the bullshit of a trolly player

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yeah, Ristarte is basically a Dungeon Master who just wants the adventure to go right. The hero isn't a sympathetic character here. He's a dick.

The light novel got some big laughs out of me, and that was without the amazing voice acting the show is getting. You should all stick with it, at least until you get to the holy water scene.

I think the issue I'm having is that there's zero respite from his bullshit. He's relentlessly being bullshit cautious and it very quickly threatens to overwhelm the comedy's attempts to make fun of his bullshit. We need a chance to believe that he can change because, so far, there's literally no personality in his character beyond that gimmick. It it wasn't for how magnificently good Ristarte's animation and voice work is, I honestly think I would outright hate the show at this point just for that reason.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ViggyNash posted:

We need a chance to believe that he can change because, so far, there's literally no personality in his character beyond that gimmick.

Welcome to post-post-modern isekai

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Beastars already feels like Houseki. Background mystery, day/night stuff, power-snark characters. A good followup if starting a little slow.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Ranzear posted:

Beastars already feels like Houseki. Background mystery, day/night stuff, power-snark characters. A good followup if starting a little slow.

The animation and lighting was on point as well, especially with the Haru scenes.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Davincie posted:

no guns life feels like a forgotten 00s anime, so i loved the first episode

Yeah, I got some Black Lagoon vibes off of NGL.

I'm not much of a sports anime fan, but I liked the design(love the palette and texture) and tone in Stars Align. The end of that episode was a real blindside hit, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm curous about NGL, but I feel like I've always heard middling things about the manga? looks cool at least

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I gave Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth a try knowing nothing about it, and if you have trouble sleeping the first episode of this should fix that within ten minutes.

Also "Narcotic drugs don't work on her" is a dumb 'superpower' that would surely mean squat in an anti-drug taskforce, and seems like a massive detriment for anyone considering that would mean things like anesthetics logically wouldn't work either.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh hey, an animated PV for Dorohedoro https://youtu.be/KbO2LyE4xg4

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Oh man, that actually looks really good, and it seems like there isn't actually that much CG. (Although it looks like loving Netflix got it, so hopefully a good sub group will pick it up.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm curous about NGL, but I feel like I've always heard middling things about the manga? looks cool at least

I just watched the first episode and enjoyed it well enough. Lots of action, a few moments of levity, and a likeable protagonist.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Oh man, that actually looks really good, and it seems like there isn't actually that much CG. (Although it looks like loving Netflix got it, so hopefully a good sub group will pick it up.)

Yeah, I was really, really nervous it would end up being CG monstrosity like Kengan Ashura, but it looks great, so now I'm 100% hyped.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Hell yeah! I'm so loving pumped for this! :rock:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It looked like a lot of cg to me.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

((I am now rolling on the floor screaming, much like I was for Re Zero Season 2))

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
kaiman's big head doesn't really look good, but i've seen much less animated and charming cg models

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It felt like the fun kind of CG. Like, not Land of the Lustrous-caliber so far, but pretty darn fun. Kinda like Inuyashiki or Ajin.

e: Like that moment Kaiman is all up on them Gyoza, it was like "YES, you beautiful mo'fo, eat 'em up!" :allears:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 11, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think Kaiman's head was ever gonna look perfect no matter what.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's moreso that it doesn't look it would have any texture if you touched it and reptiles def have a strong texture

Shinji Kimura doing the world and backgrounds is good though, im optimistic

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh hey, Enterprise finally said the line this week.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Have someone watched Blade of the Immortal? Is it any good?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

macabresca posted:

Have someone watched Blade of the Immortal? Is it any good?

It's very good. The direction in the first ep especially is impressionistic and powerful, and the action is stylish. Parts of the second ep are even decently funny. Far as bloody "kill this list of weirdos" revenge stories set in ancient Japan go, I'm already liking it more than Dororo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Someone in here said the covered like 400 pages in one episode and that sounds not good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah dav posted about it and the pace sounds very ungood, but maybe if you haven't read any of the manga you'd notice less idk

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The pacing was fine, w maybe one slightly weird jump near the latter half of the episode. Just give it a shot.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dorohedoro is the steampunk grunge manga masterpiece we've always dreamed of but never thought existed until now.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the strongest endorsement for dorohedoro is that the kill 6 billion demons guy is hyped about it

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1182654667416846340

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it looks too bright and clean for that, aside from the backgrounds being good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
kill 6 billion demons owns

they should make an anime of it

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Patware posted:

the strongest endorsement for dorohedoro is that the kill 6 billion demons guy is hyped about it

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1182654667416846340

This sounds like a ringing endorsement for the manga :smugbird:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
ok maybe I won't quit anime forever, but it's still a mixed bag. great backgrounds at least.

I did not imagine wataru takagi voicing kaiman, it's going to be an adjustment not imagining it's aoki with a lizard mask on.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

yeah dav posted about it and the pace sounds very ungood, but maybe if you haven't read any of the manga you'd notice less idk

If you haven't read the manga(I haven't, and w no indication that what was cut matters at all to the plot at hand or won't just get moved to later on, I'm not stressin about it), stuff like different pacing and content cuts are particularly goofy reasons to willingly miss out on what is very, very easily the best premiere of the season, and among the best of the year. Don't sleep on it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have read the manga which is why that sounded real bad to me lol

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Your loss

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, just watched the 2 episodes of Blade of the Immortal that are available and honestly? It was not all bad. Like, as a hardcore Samura fanboy, I would've loved a 36 or 48 episode adaptation, so take that into account with this post.

It's obviously playing... I dunno if "pick-and-mix" is the appropriate phrase here, but it's obviously fine with doffing certain parts of the first volume like it's just chaff and it's probably because of the 2-cour nature of the adaptation, so I ain't gonna hold it against Liden Films; but what's there? It's good. There's a scene in episode 1 in which I amply recommend you use a good pair of headphones because holy walls of Sound loving City (or Troubadour, if you're more of a live kind-of-goon), you will lose your poo poo if you like your gore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

This is wonderful :allears:.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm_ABHGbk3o

this looks cool

https://natalie.mu/comic/news/351333

The Director is mostly known for shin chan and the character designer does renjoh desperado. Odd couple ends up in the united states and races their steam powered monstrosity against other racers in a transcontinental spectacular for big prize money so they can go home.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the sherlock show is...something

idk if it's working for me, but I need to watch more