Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hogama posted:

That doesn't preclude the broad "main acts" from progressing in roughly the same sequence for most of the game. At this stage I'm feeling that totally failing the case will be more of a late-game thing with ending implications and not "oh well, guess you couldn't solve the case day 1, here's completely different 60-hour-long B and C-path scenarios for the rest of the game," not least of the reasons being that your partner seems to be there to prod you towards at least seeing the whole thing through, whether you're successful or not. (Though the possibility for at least some extensive side-quest paths to lead to endings of their own shouldn't be ruled out, and/or just running out of time while not actually trying to move the main investigation along) Or to put it another way, existing open world RPGs still generally have a set track for the Story Quest and lots of fluff and side-content to get lost in otherwise. It's already a lot of developmental time and assets to do one "big" story with a lot of variant outcomes.

(If I'm wrong, I'll be gladly wrong.)
Oh yeah, that's fair. You're probably correct about the main acts and overarching story events, whatever they may be. I was thinking more in terms of variation regarding main character's personal storyline and its possible resolutions, because that's something they seemed to be specifically working on based on some interviews and, if properly pulled off, I can it see changing the tones of different playthroughs significantly. A bit like how a bad ending of Witcher 3 retroactively colors everything preceding it in a much different shade than the other two.

But, it's mostly conjecture at this point anyway. I just hope no streamers decide to rush into later parts of the game, 'cause dunno if I'd have enough volition to resist it. Why can't it be Tuesday yet?

ETA: New page? Have some screenshots and a choppy gif ('cause thought cabinet art is the best):

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/mattpurslow/status/1182371519227408391?s=19

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jesus christ lol all of that is really good

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think the flippant tone is 100% resonating with me, but the reactivity and amount of options they've shown so far is very impressive. If nothing else, if this is successful, it will show developers that no, they don't need to integrate a combat system into their game and they can indeed actually do something weird with their isometric RPG, because as much as I love delving into dungeons, the genre has been limiting itself for a very long time.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think the flippant tone is 100% resonating with me,
The flippant bits are the least spoilery and easiest to show off out of context, but the overall tone of the game has enough variety. If you don't mind spoilers (it's for one of the first quests you get, so nothing major), check out the few minutes starting at about 43:10 on this stream (up until the police station bit finishes) for a better indication of how it all works together.

VV Fair enough. VV

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 11, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm not basing myself on the screenshots of some goon but on the footage of the game I've seen so far. I mean, no piece of art can be flippant 100% all of the time, but I'd say Disco Elysium is flippant enough that it easily qualifies for the definition. And if that's your thing, that's totally fine.

ShelticRule
Oct 3, 2019

wiegieman posted:

The other skills only talk to you because of the years of alcohol and amphetamine abuse.

Maybe, but I don't think so.

I am a pretty rational guy and was kind of taken aback when someone very close to me explained their daily life as being a committee of inner voices pushing and pulling in various directions, often limiting options for action... and then even more taken aback when a mental health professional was very matter-of-fact about this being rather normal way to experience the world. Certainly not just people damaged by the likes of long-term abuse. Furthermore, I have had a lot of conversations on this subject since then, and find a goodly percentage of people really do experience inner parts as having voices. (Not me, I can feel an urge to eat a food my doctor says I have to avoid, but no inner voice is putting this urge into words, or offering verbal reasons for indulging.)

I'm guessing that the selection of this particular protagonist makes other people accept this portrayal more easily, but I don't think the game developers mean that only an addled character would experience the world this way. In fact, I was listening to an interview where he urged other gamemakers to steal this style for their games, and I am pretty sure he did not mean that we need a whole slew of substance addled characters.

ShelticRule
Oct 3, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think the flippant tone is 100% resonating with me, but the reactivity and amount of options they've shown so far is very impressive.
Yeah, I will be very interested to see whether that flippant tone is indelible. Clearly, this protagonist is not a blank slate, he wakes up with a history, and you get a lot of choices right from the start. Most streamers have been showing off the game by picking off the wall responses and the consequences, which creates a flippant character.

But what if I play a character who sees a horrible murder scene and tries to snap around. Maybe his skills have been eroded by all the abuse, but he does not talk or act flippantly. Will the game reflect that? I'm certainly hoping the answer is yes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ShelticRule posted:

Most streamers have been showing off the game by picking off the wall responses and the consequences, which creates a flippant character.

This is definitely fair. It's possible a more well-rounded, subdued character won't be addressed by his own thoughts in such an exaggerated way, though I feel like a lot of the options given are specifically leaning into the sort of heightened reality/exaggeratedly comical tone. And again, I wanna stress that this isn't me criticizing that tone as much as coming to terms with the fact that it's probably not gonna be for me. By which I mean, it might make me groan here and there, not that I'm gonna bury the game in a ditch with all the remaining unsold copies of ET.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This is definitely fair. It's possible a more well-rounded, subdued character won't be addressed by his own thoughts in such an exaggerated way, though I feel like a lot of the options given are specifically leaning into the sort of heightened reality/exaggeratedly comical tone. And again, I wanna stress that this isn't me criticizing that tone as much as coming to terms with the fact that it's probably not gonna be for me. By which I mean, it might make me groan here and there, not that I'm gonna bury the game in a ditch with all the remaining unsold copies of ET.

Only some of them! They dug up around 1400 copies in 2014 and auctioned them off/gave them to museums.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, if you actually read the (reasonably spoilery) setting blog update they put out recently it makes it uh, rather obvious there's some WEIRD poo poo going on.

I didn't read that update, but I do wonder if WEIRD poo poo is why you wake up with no memory. You're not playing a blank slate character, you have a history, and presumably a name on your badge, but you don't remember anything?? I know a lot of games use the blank slate character as a mechanic, but I wonder if that common mechanic is actually covering up for some WEIRD poo poo explanation for why you have no memory. Something to keep an eye on, I guess.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I didn't read that update, but I do wonder if WEIRD poo poo is why you wake up with no memory. You're not playing a blank slate character, you have a history, and presumably a name on your badge, but you don't remember anything?? I know a lot of games use the blank slate character as a mechanic, but I wonder if that common mechanic is actually covering up for some WEIRD poo poo explanation for why you have no memory. Something to keep an eye on, I guess.

It's certainly possible there is *weird poo poo* going on regarding that, but also, the main character is a late-stage alcoholic, so having a memory blackout isn't really out of the realm of possibilities at that point.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I saw one streamer actually pass the Suggestion check with Klaasje. The response was far more muted than the failure one.
Just reinforcing to me that a game of succeeding with all your rolls isn't necessarily going to get you what you want, though it will be different from frequent failure.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

P I S S

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RIP to all the unfortunate people who don't have an internal voice telling them to do weird poo poo. It owns

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Some people don't have an inner-voice at all, actually.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

itry posted:

Some people don't have an inner-voice at all, actually.

Some people can't see images in their heads either. Brains are weird.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I only have an outer voice gently caress THAT CAT no

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

all i see is the words "ELECTROCHEMISTRY" telling me to lick random spills nearby

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

all i see is the words "ELECTROCHEMISTRY" telling me to lick random spills nearby

same

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will the PC have a voice telling him to jump off bridges?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Brains are weird.

:same: but with brains.

SelenicMartian posted:

Will the PC have a voice telling him to jump off bridges?

Inner Broseph will egg him on, daring him to do more and more dangerous stunts. :ohdear:

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

itry posted:

Inner Broseph Brosephs will egg him on, daring him to do more and more dangerous stunts. :ohdear:

FTFY. Some of the voices in MC's head sound like Internet trolls of varying flavors already, and I'd only watched the previews up to day one.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Some people can't see images in their heads either. Brains are weird.

This one really gets me. I can imagine what my life would be like without my head-voice because it doesnt kick in much, but i spend pretty much 100% of the time looking at two things at once.

I am ridiculously excited for this, but i'm also not done with pillars of eternity for the first time and I also have judgement on the go for my sofa game. I cant decide if I want to bail on pillars for this, I want to but I know if i do i'll likely not go back to it.
The impulse next week will decide.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

big true!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I can't believe these guys just transformed me into a skill check like that.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Rhetoric is the best.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

frajaq posted:

big true!

Communism is pretty good, Games poster.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm about five hours in and the game is EXTREMELY GOOD.

The devs are Estonian, and weirdly there's at least some Finnish in the game (the two kids behind Whirling in Rags, where the hanged man is keep throwing in Finnish words in their dialogue and it's strange).

The game is also REALLY WEIRD. This was my first game over, after I failed a mental check on a routine thing too hard.

Then there was a part in the game where my lower intestince tried to get me to embrace fascism.

It's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're into proper-rear end role playing, games where your actions have consequences, and games with amazing, genre-bending, weirdly self-aware dialogue and writing, you'll loving love it.

At least I am so far.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 12, 2019

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Me, a fool: I dunno, man, universal housing and healthcare along with me actually having a say in the workings of my labor sound like pretty good benefits of communism
Extremely educated Games sage who considers Planescape: Torment to be the greatest work of human literature: actually it's very bad

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Der Shovel posted:

Then there was a part in the game where my lower intestince tried to get me to embrace fascism.

There is absolutely no way this game isn't going to generate articles from writers who can't get over the whole "depiction =/= endorsement" thing, even if the overall work pulls this off brilliantly.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

KazigluBey posted:

There is absolutely no way this game isn't going to generate articles from writers who can't get over the whole "depiction =/= endorsement" thing, even if the overall work pulls this off brilliantly.

I like how the part of your body that tries to get you to embrace fascism is the lower intestine. You know, the part that's full of poo poo.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Infinity Gaia posted:

I like how the part of your body that tries to get you to embrace fascism is the lower intestine. You know, the part that's full of poo poo.

That's very likely the only saving grace for people who surface-read for a living, at least it's a little obvious that way.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hopefully the game pulls off what it looks like its trying to do and if you become an idiot racist you just end being up more of a pathetic loser that nobody respects.

That would be some strong rear end satire most games are afraid to commit to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wish Steam would let me preorder this already so I can get it preloaded and start playing when it unlocks, this looks like it’s exactly my cup of tea.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Accordion Man posted:

Hopefully the game pulls off what it looks like its trying to do and if you become an idiot racist you just end being up more of a pathetic loser that nobody respects.

That would be some strong rear end satire most games are afraid to commit to.

The game very much depicts racists in a negative and idiotic light. Up until the point I'm at, the your two guides into the world of racism include an idiot racist lorry driver who gets dunked on by your Asian partner, and a man named Measurehead who believes in Advanced Race Theory and gives you a long lecture about the intellectual ranking of all races. Your dialogue options are all on the lines of "Well this doesn't sound like a load of made up horseshit at all, tell me more."

He believes these theories to such an extent that he has tattooed on himself his exact cranial measurements and all his racial characteristics to make it absolutely and 100% unambiguously clear what his precise and exact racial makeup is, and wants everyone else to do the same so people can finally rank everyone Scientifically.

After talking to the guy you get a new internal goal. Basically you can internalize certain ideas and concepts and get buffs and debuffs from doing so like you were researching new tech in a 4X game, but only after you unlock them by talking about the concepts with others or with your internal voices. The description for "Advanced Racial Theory" (which gives you a minus to your Drama skill for "Falling for the act") is along the lines of "The Advanced Racial Gang is all here: pygmies from $country playing in the mud, peddling subhumans from $country2 and a few others you're pretty sure you just made up yourself."

It owns. If some Kotaku idiot wants to try and make a case for the game promoting fascism or racism, they'll be laughed out of the building. Honestly I don't think anyone who would even play this game will mistake this for anything other than the game dunking on racists and "immigration critics" non-stop.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Okay yeah, the devs know exactly what they're doing.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I'm excited to read everyone's anecdotes once the game releases. I've watched a bunch of streams play the initial scenario now, and all of them felt distinct. Which is great because I keep going back to them but don't want to watch too far into the story. The dearth of discussion leading up to a release like this kills me every time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's even worse when you're the only one you know playing it. I want to talk about the game SO BAD but I don't want to just start spoiling poo poo for people, because honestly it's best to just go in with an open mind and let the madness wash you away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Speaking of anecdotes this sounds like my kind of thing.

https://twitter.com/keightdee/status/1183104696623321089