Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

If he loses the dup votes where are the rest coming from to have it pass parliament?
It's probably better for him if it doesn't, because then he can run his election campaign on how he had a deal even the EU agreed with, but it was sabotaged by brexit betrayal / traitor parliament / only the tories can save are brexit etc.

E: bog

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

We also train and coordinate legal observers (LOs) who collect an independent set of evidence, later provided to defendants as they move through the court system. We work closely with other similar groups such as Activist Court Aid Brigade (ACAB)

That's fantastic

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I take it we're all still for gay space communism? If so, and you want to indulge in building colonies full of crisp factories and a parliament that actually is allowed to show Surviving Mars is on epic games for free. Free, I tells ya!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not so sure about that, especially as everyone else is going to be in full revenge mode and that proportion is only going to get bigger over time.

How often does anyone, anywhere admit they're wrong about anything? The press will be there to feed them ready-made coping strategies (worthwhile sacrifice! blitz spirit!) and scapegoats (EU punishing us for our greatness! Lefty snowflakes can't cope with hard work!). They'll be assembling gallows in Parliament Square long before enough gammon see the light to make any kind of electoral difference.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Trickjaw posted:

I take it we're all still for gay space communism? If so, and you want to indulge in building colonies full of crisp factories and a parliament that actually is allowed to show Surviving Mars is on epic games for free. Free, I tells ya!

I know people are mad at the Epic Store for existing because gamers, but since I installed it I've gotten a decent amount of free games and I always like free games. The Arkham trilogy of games for free was pretty good value for money!

So yes, I was just playing Surviving Mars. Got to mine that concrete.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How often does anyone, anywhere admit they're wrong about anything? The press will be there to feed them ready-made coping strategies (worthwhile sacrifice! blitz spirit!) and scapegoats (EU punishing us for our greatness! Lefty snowflakes can't cope with hard work!). They'll be assembling gallows in Parliament Square long before enough gammon see the light to make any kind of electoral difference.

Gammons don't have the energy for that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Gammons don't have the energy for that

Have you seen who the Home Secretary is?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They don't have to admit they're wrong, and they're already on the brink of not being enough, electorally. We are already about to eclipse them and the tories have severed all their other possible avenues of support. They're locked into this ultimately dead end path.

Whereas everyone else is going to be more angry and motivated to want something different. The brexiters don't need to do anything, other than slowly die, I can't see it producing more of them over time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Trickjaw posted:

There's free DLCs too but you gotta collect them separately

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

You assume correct.

Man, there's some people who get really loving testy when you point out that XR are not going about things particularly smartly and are massively naive about the state, the police, the legal system, all that.

Probably means they are one of XR's main organisers then.

If I'm going to be charitable I'd argue that XR's strategy is coherent and attempts several things:

- by being superficially friendly they emphasise their own reasonableness (in the middle class sense), making it harder for pundits to dismiss than as loopy hippies, and making them the safe alternative to more openly aggressive groups.

- it's a lot harder to justify cops cracking skulls when it's a friendly protest, they'll still do it but how do you spin it?

- maybe cops might be taken off guard and develop sympathy (lol)

- yes! It does sanitise protest for the middle classes. This is not the worst recruiting tool.

- when the state does crack down nonetheless, middle class people get scared because it's impossible to Other the people being victimised- they see themselves in it. If the people writing the articles and blustering on the TV are sufficiently alienated from the power structures you're getting into very interesting territory.

Now I'm not convinced that it'll work, and I think the flowers to loving brixton police station are a step and a hop and a leaptoo far, but I don't think they're as dumb as some suggest. Yes, all these seasoned protesters are frustrated that they're being naive, but perhaps the presentation of that naivete is actually the point. They're clearly trying to say 'we're not protestors, we're normal people just like you who have realised that we must protest'. Remaining painfully earnest and good natured at all times is part of that, as is being seen to be arrested.

E: gently caress them selling out their BAME members though

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Trickjaw posted:

I got this on release and found it cool but pretty buggy and longwinded, has it got better?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's had quite a lot of patches and revisions of the mechanics and the DLCs apparently add quite a bit too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

If I'm going to be charitable I'd argue that XR's strategy is coherent and attempts several things:

- by being superficially friendly they emphasise their own reasonableness (in the middle class sense), making it harder for pundits to dismiss than as loopy hippies, and making them the safe alternative to more openly aggressive groups.

- it's a lot harder to justify cops cracking skulls when it's a friendly protest, they'll still do it but how do you spin it?

- maybe cops might be taken off guard and develop sympathy (lol)

- yes! It does sanitise protest for the middle classes. This is not the worst recruiting tool.

- when the state does crack down nonetheless, middle class people get scared because it's impossible to Other the people being victimised- they see themselves in it. If the people writing the articles and blustering on the TV are sufficiently alienated from the power structures you're getting into very interesting territory.

Now I'm not convinced that it'll work, and I think the flowers to loving brixton police station are a step and a hop and a leaptoo far, but I don't think they're as dumb as some suggest. Yes, all these seasoned protesters are frustrated that they're being naive, but perhaps the presentation of that naivete is actually the point. They're clearly trying to say 'we're not protestors, we're normal people just like you who have realised that we must protest'. Remaining painfully earnest and good natured at all times is part of that, as is being seen to be arrested.

E: gently caress them selling out their BAME members though

That last point is, I think, their main strategy. The point is that environmental protesters are relatively easy to otherise, and XR presumably hope to get around this with their tactics.

Personally I don't think it'll work (I was forced to watch a bit of Loose Women on Tuesday and apart from Janet Street-Porter the consensus seemed to be "Well protesting is fine as long as they don't inconvenience me" and an awful lot of people really are so self-centred that a ten minute delay getting to work is enough to make them call for live ammo to be used), but it's an interesting attempt at least.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The Police couldn't give a gently caress about niceties in a protest situation, and these naive protesters are going to get arrested and hosed over because of the lovely XR leadership and the information they provide.

Read this:

forkboy84 posted:

You assume correct.

Man, there's some people who get really loving testy when you point out that XR are not going about things particularly smartly and are massively naive about the state, the police, the legal system, all that. There's people out there with decades of experience in protesting, people who give up their time to give legal advice to protesters, and XR are completely ignoring them. And it is the forefront of climate protest, attracts huge numbers of first timers, so when they are basically encouraging their people to get arrested, that is not good. It is a bad message to give out.

Green & Black Cross have gone into their own concerns which are worth reading

Probably means they are one of XR's main organisers then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trickjaw posted:

I take it we're all still for gay space communism?

I don't know if he was gay or not, but Alexei Leonov has died.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Well I’m pleased to say that 7 days after a bullshit firing from my new job I now have a new new job. Luckily the civil engineering firm my dad works for had a position going which I’ve been snapped up for.

It’s a slight decrease in base salary and more hours to boot, but upsides are more holiday days, it’s practically on my doorstep and I get a company van. There’s also a ton of opportunities to pull in extra cash (overtime, on call etc).

So with zero commuting costs (and freeing up the car for the other half if she wants to use it) and a ton of other benefits it’s going to mean a decent boost in extra cash each month.

Can’t complain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Well I’m pleased to say that 7 days after a bullshit firing from my new job I now have a new new job. Luckily the civil engineering firm my dad works for had a position going which I’ve been snapped up for.

It’s a slight decrease in base salary and more hours to boot, but upsides are more holiday days, it’s practically on my doorstep and I get a company van. There’s also a ton of opportunities to pull in extra cash (overtime, on call etc).

So with zero commuting costs (and freeing up the car for the other half if she wants to use it) and a ton of other benefits it’s going to mean a decent boost in extra cash each month.

Can’t complain.

Yaay nepotism, also how I got my job.

Glad you've landed relatively on your feet at least, hopefully this will not involve hellcoworker like the last one.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trickjaw posted:

Ta, gonna turn Mars Red :ussr:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The terraforming expansion seems like it adds the bulk of the late game content so you might wanna turn it green/red.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

The Police couldn't give a gently caress about niceties in a protest situation, and these naive protesters are going to get arrested and hosed over because of the lovely XR leadership and the information they provide.

Read this:

The first bit is correct, and if the rank and file XR membership are being misled into genuinely thinking that the police will play fair and treat them with kid gloves because they send flowers to the station and pause their protests when the cops nip to the loo then that's not good.

But I (who knows about XR only what he has gleaned from skimming this thread) do wonder if, as has already been said, this isn't being done for/by the members but for the 'optics'.

It's the easiest thing in the world to get people to dismiss 'proper' protestors the moment they break the ever-shifting decorum rules, clash with the police or slightly damage private property If XR can fix in (at least some of) the public's mind that they have been unctuously nice and cooperative with the Forces of Law and Order then it at least gives them a chance of the actual message getting traction, and perhaps raising a glimmer of sympathy when the inevitable skull-cracking starts.

Or am I being far too naive?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Can’t complain.

Good news :)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's probably better for him if it doesn't, because then he can run his election campaign on how he had a deal even the EU agreed with, but it was sabotaged by brexit betrayal / traitor parliament / only the tories can save are brexit etc.

E: bog

Yes but the gammons loving hate the concept of a Brexit Deal now, and want the hardest No Deal Brexit possible, so lol he's kind of tanking himself by going for a deal aggressively, which means some kind of hung parliament again and endless delays.

It'll be the year 2200 and we'll have the distant descendant of the lines of Rees Mogg and Jess Philips being PM and faffing about requesting yet another 3 month delay

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Daily_Record/status/1182679751200137216

Finally, an anti immigrant story I can get behind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Beware of english people who suddenly appear in your communities" is like, the solution to 90% of history's problems.

And is still applicable today [guytellingboristogohome.flv]

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've been called English before because of my accent but I'm not English, I'm a human being.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 11, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The terraforming expansion seems like it adds the bulk of the late game content so you might wanna turn it green/red.

You mean yellow? :clegg:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

I mean, it's the start of university term so a flood of drugs and English people around Marchmont and Hyndland is to be expected

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Imagine having a twenty note left to snort your coke with!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also surely you would use a: a polymer note and b: a scottish one?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The gangs flood the area and go around frustrating every drug transaction by saying "we don't take Scottish notes".

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
what's the discord invite? the OP invite is out of date

also, Boris Johnson has a half-brother: Max Johnson. A truly powerful name

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jedit posted:

I don't know if he was gay or not, but Alexei Leonov has died.

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFSq4Q8WDs0

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CGI Stardust posted:

what's the discord invite? the OP invite is out of date

also, Boris Johnson has a half-brother: Max Johnson. A truly powerful name

https://discord.gg/YRwDQJq

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
What's the likelihood of the new deal Johnson is trying to wrangle actually getting passed/done

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Corbyn has destroyed the forums

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

What's the likelihood of the new deal Johnson is trying to wrangle actually getting passed/done

Seems rather unlikely given it would need a hilarious amount of cooperation to get passed, unless labour whips for it for the lols.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Another Mark Blyth video, I have to say I'm not really following his logic re Corbyn and why an election after hard brexit means a sure win for Johnsson. I wonder if it stems from his homebrew idea that Corbyn never wanted to be PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW90T7ZB7L4

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Definitely not U.K. politics but lol

https://twitter.com/echolivecork/status/1182731042064621569?s=21

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
RE: Brexit developments, its looking like Bozo is U-turning on the whole Ireland border. Does this mean that we are likely looking at a system with a customs border in the Irish sea?

If so, does that mean that we are looking at a two tier UK, one which pays no EU import fees and one does? How would that even be remotely acceptable for those of us not in Ireland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You're almost certainly not looking at that because it is highly unlikely that the border in the irish sea would get past parliament.