Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gay Retard posted:

Was it ever posted here that the owner of Transient assaulted his wife and got shot? Everybody better burn their membership cards.

The police report stated he was arrested for breaking and entering into the house that his newly married wife was banging some dude in. That's not the same as abusing her.

Anyway, they're now the official beer of dudes who say women don't like nice guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

The police report stated he was arrested for breaking and entering into the house that his newly married wife was banging some dude in. That's not the same as abusing her.

Anyway, they're now the official beer of dudes who say women don't like nice guys.

Most women don't like nice alcoholic* brewers.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Yeah, if River Trip isn't Hoppy Table Beer, it's a very similar recipe.

Comes off more saison-y than I remember Hoppy Table being, but yeah...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Gay Retard posted:

I haven't gone to a bottle release in over a year, but I made the effort yesterday a grabbed a bunch of Michigan stouts at 2 out of the 3 releases (Sorry Transient). Was it ever posted here that the owner of Transient assaulted his wife invaded a guys house, assaulted somebody, and got shot? Everybody better burn their membership cards.

Anyways, these are all 12- 15% ABV beers aged in Old Weller Antique barrels from Drafting Table and Ellison:

:allbuttons:

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Who is our Osaka goon and would you be interested in meeting up tomorrow at Kamikaze or something for a beer?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
In Birmingham. My hotel is a bit of a walk from stuff and I'm lazy but in the short walks for food I have made, I am pleasantly surprised at how much local poo poo is available everywhere. The hot chicken place had probably 15 different Birmingham options. The tiny hotel bar has 3 local taps. I'm honestly shocked at how much these businesses are supporting these little guys. It's great. And while I haven't had anything great, almost everything has been without a major flaw. The exception was Avondale's Saison which was sickeningly sweet. No loving clue how you do that...

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I was at a store buying Mezcal and I guess the 3F drop in Chicago for Zwanse day was a bit wider than I thought.

Point is, I bought a 375 A&G for some stupid price but they had magnums of regular geuze and A&G which was an interesting sight.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I was at a store buying Mezcal and I guess the 3F drop in Chicago for Zwanse day was a bit wider than I thought.

Point is, I bought a 375 A&G for some stupid price but they had magnums of regular geuze and A&G which was an interesting sight.

I saw a pile of stuff at Binny's and got excited and then remembered that I have too much of that stuff already and that it's still cheaper to buy and ship from Belgium. It is crazy to see those bottles on the shelf, which hasn't happened in Chicago in at least 5 years.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Going to be in Middlebury VT for a long weekend. Visiting family so we might not have time to do a lot of brewery hopping but is there anything there or in Burlington I absolutely must visit?

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Quiet Feet posted:

Going to be in Middlebury VT for a long weekend. Visiting family so we might not have time to do a lot of brewery hopping but is there anything there or in Burlington I absolutely must visit?

Foam in Burlington is pretty good. You're also not far from Frost who are pretty solid, and the new Lawson's taproom.

Have dinner at the Farmhouse in Burlington and try a little bit of everything VT has to offer imo

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Hen of the Woods in either Waterbury or Burlington is drat good too.

Seconding Foam and suggesting Fiddlehead in Shelburne. Second Fiddle is maybe a tier below the best VT IPAs (susan, focal banger, sip) but still quite good.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

Shabadu posted:

Hen of the Woods in either Waterbury or Burlington is drat good too.

Yeah, go to Hen of the Woods and have some Backacre.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
American Flatbread is good for traditional stuff too. There's another good lager place across from their full brewery (Zero Gravity) that I forgot the name of.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My parents got me both a NEIPA with "milkshake" in the name and a Pumking for watching their dog for a bit, and I can feel the hype radiating from the fridge every time I open it

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

American Flatbread is good for traditional stuff too. There's another good lager place across from their full brewery (Zero Gravity) that I forgot the name of.

Queen City? Yeah they have some solid stuff too. if you're in that area you could also do Citizen Cider if you're at all into that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I had a Pumking like 7 years ago and I can still taste it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks all for the suggestions.

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

Foam in Burlington is pretty good. You're also not far from Frost who are pretty solid, and the new Lawson's taproom.

Have dinner at the Farmhouse in Burlington and try a little bit of everything VT has to offer imo

I just realized I've been to this place and loved it but it was ages ago. First time I ever had a Weihenstephaner on draft and that's become one of my favorite beers. My wife, who does not drink, and hates beer, liked the smell so much she asked for a sip and... she said she hated it and it made her nauseous. I guess what I'm saying is it's nice that we still never have to decide who's the designated driver.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I think I still have two 2015 bottles in my fridge. It's still rich as hell but not as much as when it's fresh.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
Like others have suggested, hit up Foam and Fiddlehead. They are both really great. Two other places I would recommend in the area are Burlington Beer Company and Four Quarters. I like both of them more than Zero Gravity and Queen City, albeit they are in more annoying locations if you are downtown.

Hen of the Woods is fantastic as mentioned, but I am also a big fan of Honey Road. It is small plates that Middle Eastern inspired. A bit expensive (but so is Hen), but everything we had there was delicious.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Same here, as well as the "strawberry milkshake" IPA I had a year or so ago. I was avoiding milkshake ipas because they sounded disgusting but I've enjoyed many things that sounded gross over the years. That wasn't one of them

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

krustster posted:

Same here, as well as the "strawberry milkshake" IPA I had a year or so ago. I was avoiding milkshake ipas because they sounded disgusting but I've enjoyed many things that sounded gross over the years. That wasn't one of them

SEND ME HOUSE.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

me too, i can only drink so much suarez

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

krustster posted:

krustster spotting! Also I saw someone check in a pumpkin spice milkshake IPA recently, sorry if this triggers anyone here

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've seen some abhorrent beers and a pumpkin spice milkshake barely even gets above the noise floor of hedonistic depravity that seems to be the norm. I could see how out of touch rube douchbags who's only contact with beer is a thrillest post once a year would start shaking like a Chihuahua in January at that sequence of words

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spanish Manlove posted:

out of touch rube douchbags who's only contact with beer is a thrillest post once a year

i think we are truly the out of touch rube douchebags

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I haven’t had a beer since Monday and I still wouldn’t drink a pumpkin milkshake IPA.

That being said, not all pumpkin beers are bad. I quite like one of the older brews, Post Road Pumpkin Ale. Brooklyn didn’t gently caress with the recipe when they bought it thankfully.

Might pick up a sixer on the way home.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

It seems that good breweries make good pumpkin beers and bad breweries make bad ones. Of course, some good breweries also make bad pumpkin beers.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Pumking was good when it was 2/$5 happy hour pints (!) at a bar 5 minutes from home after work .

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Went a whole week without a beer :c00lbutt:

Thank god it's friday !

*buys 30 pk of PbRs*

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Partycat posted:

Pumking was good when it was 2/$5 happy hour pints (!) at a bar 5 minutes from home after work .

I can only assume that was the "for the love of god, please help us empty the keg" pricing.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It wasn’t, but that pub is out of business now

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Went a whole week without a beer :c00lbutt:

Thank god it's friday !

*buys 30 pk of PbRs*

So you're the rear end in a top hat who bought 32 30 of those!

Stopped by River Roost Brewery on White River Junction VT on our way up north but only had a chance to sample their marzen. Got that and a couple of other squealers of a stout and a smoked brown ale. Loved the League of Shadows stout last time I passed by but was in a huge hurry and didn't get a chance to try anything else.

Fake edit: I just went searching through my post history here and realized that one of the first few posts I made was recommending Farmhouse to somebody else. That's kinda funny. Also I think I'm the only one who liked Ommegang's old wallpaper-esque label designs.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im doing it guys! Im drinking the Pumking for the first time!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

Im doing it guys! Im drinking the Pumking for the first time!!

And?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its surprisingly muted, especially compared to other Southern Tier beers Ive had in the past. It tastes kind of like a standard brown ale with pumpkin spices.

I was expecting some sort of overbearing sugar bomb but this is actually pleasant

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Control Volume posted:

Its surprisingly muted, especially compared to other Southern Tier beers Ive had in the past. It tastes kind of like a standard brown ale with pumpkin spices.

I was expecting some sort of overbearing sugar bomb but this is actually pleasant

The goalposts for absurd sugar bombs have definitely moved over the years. 6 years ago Southern Tier Creme Brûlée was the subject of a lot of posts in here. Nowadays that beer doesn’t even approach the level of sweetness from Angry Chair, Hubbard’s Cave, and others.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Drank at Boulevard's Beer Hall in KC yesterday. Their 30th Anniversary beer is pretty great and shows the FW relationship off. I'd compare it favorably to the best of FW's. Also really enjoyed a tequila and whiskey barrel aged barleywine they had which leaned more stout-like.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

deedee megadoodoo posted:

The goalposts for absurd sugar bombs have definitely moved over the years. 6 years ago Southern Tier Creme Brûlée was the subject of a lot of posts in here. Nowadays that beer doesn’t even approach the level of sweetness from Angry Chair, Hubbard’s Cave, and others.

On that note I'm currently having a Bruery Vermont Stickey Maple and it's good but I don't think I could take more than one.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Bought a pack of Nitro Pumking for tonight because I hate myself.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Bought a pack of Nitro Pumking for tonight because I hate myself.

Ah yes, the "hate myself" beer purchase. A classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

SEND ME HOUSE.

It's in 4 packs now send me $ and I will give it to you

I think I've prematurely ascended to the beer nerd's final form. I leveled up past "only local shelf beers" and reached "give up on drinking entirely because I'm too loving old and even one beer ruins my life for the following day." That said, I just bought multiple 3F beers today because I have never had them and they are in stores now and also I am pretty drunk from just two IPAs. Finback and Definitive are my go-to breweries lately on the rare occasions I want to drink