Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Mazz posted:

And yet Russia mandates computer science as a basic school subject, and had twice as many students take the AP computer science exam equivalent between 2005 and 2015 than the USA. The only big difference is that there isn't a Russian silicon valley to foster that interest into high paying tech sector jobs. But Russia has understood and directly addressed that deficiency in some form for ~30 years now.

Anecdotal, but the IT sector in Russia is now pretty big and continues to grow. It's a favored place for cheap outsourcing of run of the mill stuff that you don't want Indian IT teams to half-rear end. It's a popular career path with the young because you can get a good start in Russia, work on your English and then go international. One of my students was a guy practicing for an Interview with Google, which would then sponsor his whole family moving to the USA. It's also popular with women in a similar way, but with the added bonus of the IT sector actually having lower levels of sexism than other sectors, which is rather y i k e s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Also the meme of all hackers being russian is grounded in reality.
I don't trust any :filez: that don't blast russian hardstyle at me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One line I remember specifically was something like "a Western child with an electronic toy had a better understanding of computers than we could hope to teach a Russian soldier in ten years' time."

An F-117 without FBW would be a horrible deathtrap that'd make the F-104 look like a Cessna 182 in comparison.

If a random soldier needs to know the technical details of how FBW works then something has already gone very wring.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

feedmegin posted:

If a random soldier needs to know the technical details of how FBW works then something has already gone very wring.

Without a solid grounding in flight systems theory, how are they supposed to work out how much of the electronics coolant they can drink before they get a reportable maintenance casualty?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Iran claims one of their tankers ate two missiles off the Saudi coast

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Alaan posted:

Iran claims one of their tankers ate two missiles off the Saudi coast

Just came here to post this. The beeb article just says "explosion", they are playing it very coy as to what the munition was.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

IPCRESS posted:

Without a solid grounding in flight systems theory, how are they supposed to work out how much of the electronics coolant they can drink before they get a reportable maintenance casualty?

:golfclap:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just came here to post this. The beeb article just says "explosion", they are playing it very coy as to what the munition was.
Nobody is going to know for sure what the munition was unless they find some big pieces inside one of the tankers, or an incidental warship got a track on it.

Considering they're both still floating and not raging infernos it was probably something fun-sized.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Elizabeth_McLau/status/1182685149118398464

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh fun. Newsweek (?? they still do actual reporting?) is reporting that Turkey lit up a bunch of US spec ops in Syria.

No injuries reported, thankfully, but it's early days yet.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Newsweek has been sold several times and may be owned by a religious cult now

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Newsweek has been sold several times and may be owned by a religious cult now

Moonies?

e: holy poo poo it is, I was just joking before because I thought it'd be funny

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh fun. Newsweek (?? they still do actual reporting?) is reporting that Turkey lit up a bunch of US spec ops in Syria.

No injuries reported, thankfully, but it's early days yet.

Other outlets reporting the same

https://twitter.com/josiensor/status/1182751126195712000?s=21

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

With NATO "allies" like Turkey . . .

Edit: what's the likelihood that this spawns another massive wave of refugees trying to get to Europe? (is there anyone left alive to actually flee?)
I guess we're going to see any EU liberal governments still in power get replaced by a hardline conservative governments in the next round of elections because "OMG Brown people invasion!".

Blistex fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 11, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

After they started pulling the trump levels of omg brown people they started losing. France's president won against one if memory serves?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Blistex posted:

Edit: what's the likelihood that this spawns another massive wave of refugees trying to get to Europe?

Erdogan has explicitly threatened it.

I realize this would defeat the whole point, but if we're really determined to regime-change somebody...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blistex posted:

Edit: what's the likelihood that this spawns another massive wave of refugees trying to get to Europe? (is there anyone left alive to actually flee?)
I guess we're going to see any EU liberal governments still in power get replaced by a hardline conservative governments in the next round of elections because "OMG Brown people invasion!".

That's a key part of the strategy. See also: barrel bombs and chemical weapons used on civillians by Russian and Syrian forces. Putin, in general, wants to destabilize Europe and fracture the NATO alliance, and setting the EU at its own throats about refugees pouring into cities in Germany and France and the UK gives the local fascists fertile ground for both rhetoric and recruiting, which helps normalize Putin's way of doing business around the world. His two aims are to make the world safe for strongmen like him to do what they do without being shamed for it, and to reclaim the former Soviet territories while putting the US in its place and making it clear that no better worlds are possible.

The Russian version of Steve Bannon is a guy named Alexander Dugin. Just as in Bannon's case, Dugin is supposedly out of favor with Putin after having been an important part of his rise to power. Like Bannon, Dugin keeps travelling the world to promote national populist ideas and keeps popping up in places like Greece and Turkey, using his influence to push the 'soft' side of Russian power, but being publicly on the outs with Putin protects his deniability. He had a whole section in his book, "The Foundations of Geopolitics", about how Turkey should naturally be aligned with Russia and how Russia should work to lure Turkey away from the West. The whole thing reads like a playbook of Russian activity since 2004, it's pretty crazy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Captain von Trapp posted:

Erdogan has explicitly threatened it.

I realize this would defeat the whole point, but if we're really determined to regime-change somebody...

Turkey needs a regime change and border realignment. Anatolia split between Kurds and Armenians.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Turkey needs a regime change and border realignment. Anatolia split between Kurds and Armenians.

troll option give constantinople back to the greeks

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hauldren Collider posted:

It’s been a long time coming.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Deus vult?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

troll option give constantinople back to Macedonia

I'm all for this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/kasimileri_/status/1182760094091624451

"Not shooting at the Americans! Just shooting at the evil Kurds hiding behind the Americans!" of course, of course.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

https://twitter.com/kasimileri_/status/1182760094091624451

"Not shooting at the Americans! Just shooting at the evil Kurds hiding behind the Americans!" of course, of course.

Eyeballing that on google earth and thats at least a mile off?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Strictly speaking if their goal truly is "correcting demographics" of the region (Jesus what a monstrous phrase), then getting rid of the Americans should also be part of the plan.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McNally posted:

Strictly speaking if their goal truly is "correcting demographics" of the region (Jesus what a monstrous phrase), then getting rid of the Americans should also be part of the plan.

I thought thats what pulling out and letting the Kurds get genocided did? I figured we were pulling our guys all the way out not just taking our hands off the situation?

Edit: dammit this isnt CE

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The only Trump that should have pulled out is Fred.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is that the one that ran from austria or wherever to draft dodge?

First guy to EVA, Alexey Arkhipovich Leonov, died today.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 12, 2019

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Can we please kick turkey out of nato? https://twitter.com/LizSly/status/1182804199991664640

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Stravag posted:

I thought thats what pulling out and letting the Kurds get genocided did? I figured we were pulling our guys all the way out not just taking our hands off the situation?

Edit: dammit this isnt CE

They got impatient and started before we actually pulled out.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Don Gato posted:

The thirst for kurd death is too much for Erdogan to resist

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Wait, so the US should pursue nation-building for the Kurds? That seems to be the general consensus here.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Don Gato posted:

The whole thing more or less hinges on Trump keeping the US and coalition forces out, so they kinda have to get everything they can done before he changes his mind.

Sperglord posted:

Wait, so the US should pursue nation-building for the Kurds? That seems to be the general consensus here.

It's not so much a matter of the US pulling out. That was eventually going to happen. It's how the pullout was conducted in the shittiest and most underhanded way possible completely out of the blue.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 12, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sperglord posted:

Sure why not. They put in actual work for us. Wouldn’t it be nice to be on the right side of a conflict for once?

Words are cheap though and they are going to be abandoned and the genocide will be shown live to world to watch how pathetic we are to our adversaries.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Sperglord posted:

No, the consensus is that the few dozen SOF troops and facilities were keeping the Turks from doing the dirt. Pulling out this exceedingly nominal amount of troops doesn't meaningfully make the U.S. less imperialist, and does remove very cheap protection against forced demographic realignment.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sperglord posted:

Honestly I would be all in favor of Isreal'ing the Kurds their own state complete with billions in financial and hardware aid every year for free

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Words are cheap though and they are going to be abandoned and the genocide will be shown live to world to watch how pathetic we are to our adversaries.

And those who still call themselves allies. Don't forget about us~

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Setting aside whether the Kurds are cool or not, or whether Turkey has a good claim to the region, or whether genocide is a good thing or not, from a brutally US-centric foreign policy angle one fact remains:

The US has utterly hosed someone who we've said was a close ally for over a decade. We did so overnight with no warning. People who we agreed to watch out for and protect in exchange for help fighting a whole host of people who didn't like us, from Iraqi insurgents on through ISIS.

You would be a loving idiot in the future to trust the US at its word about how if you cooperate and help us we'll protect both you and your interests. No this isn't the first time this kind of poo poo has happened, but it's pretty blatant and it's going to cause problems for us in the future.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Setting aside whether the Kurds are cool or not, or whether Turkey has a good claim to the region, or whether genocide is a good thing or not, from a brutally US-centric foreign policy angle one fact remains:

The US has utterly hosed someone who we've said was a close ally for over a decade. We did so overnight with no warning. People who we agreed to watch out for and protect in exchange for help fighting a whole host of people who didn't like us, from Iraqi insurgents on through ISIS.

You would be a loving idiot in the future to trust the US at its word about how if you cooperate and help us we'll protect both you and your interests. No this isn't the first time this kind of poo poo has happened, but it's pretty blatant and it's going to cause problems for us in the future.

It is terrible on its own-- but it's also taken place in a broader context of disrespect and maltreatment towards long-standing allies or partners, and cozying up to adversaries. America's greatest strength in the post-war period hasn't been its military might, but rather the soft power that has enabled it to steer and influence international relations and I fear that power has been terribly damaged since the beginning of 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

It is terrible on its own-- but it's also taken place in a broader context of disrespect and maltreatment towards long-standing allies or partners, and cozying up to adversaries. America's greatest strength in the post-war period hasn't been its military might, but rather the soft power that has enabled it to steer and influence international relations and I fear that power has been terribly damaged since the beginning of 2017.

I mean, it took a pretty swift kick in the balls in 2003, but yeah poo poo went from "oh wow, an engine flamed out" to "oh gently caress the wings fell off."