Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

There is one, upnest but they take a 30% chunk of the commission as a referral so you are better off not using them if a rebate is your priority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Looking at 3 more places this afternoon. One is 2006 construction, 1600 sq ft with 1 bed, 2 bath, and 2 kitchens.

2 kitchens.

Second is 1996 construction with a circular staircase (is this good?) inside and two outdoor sets of stairs. It has some sweet stonework and a proper steel roof. On the downside it's at the end of a road and snow removal is going to be a bitch.

Third is mid 70's but technically above our price range. Realtor said "Fall is the time for low ball offers" so we'll see. In my area once the snow flies in November basically no homes are sold until at least May, probably June.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Yooper posted:

Second is 1996 construction with a circular staircase (is this good?) inside and two outdoor sets of stairs. It has some sweet stonework and a proper steel roof. On the downside it's at the end of a road and snow removal is going to be a bitch.

My house has two round staircases - one is a big half-circle with like a 15 or 20 foot radius and it's nice and easy to move furniture and it looks nice.

The other is outside and it's a steel spiral staircase. It is very awkward to use and is essentially useless for moving large items up and down, and it would really suck if something like that was my only way up and down.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Droo posted:

My house has two round staircases - one is a big half-circle with like a 15 or 20 foot radius and it's nice and easy to move furniture and it looks nice.

The other is outside and it's a steel spiral staircase. It is very awkward to use and is essentially useless for moving large items up and down, and it would really suck if something like that was my only way up and down.

This place had one like the 2nd staircase. It had a beautiful stonework waterfall with a hidden cave behind it outside too and a gazebo that was actually well done. All of the external work was really great. The inside was half finished and what was finished was done in a fairly cheap fashion. The killer was the road required me to put it in 4WD to get through. The last property we looked at stunk so bad of propane the realtor had to step outside. It said 2006 construction but there's no way modern building codes would let them build like they did, so judging by the old douglas fir joists they simply "rebuilt" it.

Back to browsing Zillow...

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Fire Storm posted:

I'm closing on a house tomorrow morning. Bigger house , better area, AND I have a garage and basement!

I really hope I don't look back on this in a few years screaming at how much of an idiot I am.
L.
O.
Motherfucking
L.

School started less than a week after purchase instead of the 2+ weeks we were initially told, so we turbo-moved what we could, no packing required!

"No new big bills until we pay the car off!"
*gutter guards* Good experience with the ones I got on the old house, new house has WAY more trees
*Wife insists on new floors* Now I have 1000 sqft of "hand scraped maple" to get rid of.
*New Windows* Old ones... I could feel breeze through some of them and offered no noise barrier, so I knew they would suck in the winter
*WAY too much on exterminators* (mostly sealing up holes, covering vents, but also removing a few huge hornet nests and sealing old carpenter bee holes. Too much? Maybe. Worth it.) Saw some old mice droppings and some older bat activity on the initial inspection... BUT HE DIDN'T FIND THE loving FLYING SQUIRREL COLONY IN THE loving ATTICS. They were treating for mice until a squirrel made it into my bedroom. Fuckers were active at night in the wall behind my headboard and the ceiling above my bed. Got a total of 11 and the walls have been silent for a week!

And still haven't replaced the completely failed upstairs AC (DOA on purchase, got concessions for that).

DO. NEVER. BUY. (No regrets though, really. Great house, size, location and schools.)

Still gotta sell the old house. poo poo, still gotta move some stuff out. Lose September due to many combined illnesses.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am 1 month, 10 days from closing. I bought a tractor today. gently caress push snowblowing a 400' driveway.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yooper posted:

Second is 1996 construction with a circular staircase (is this good?) inside and two outdoor sets of stairs. It has some sweet stonework and a proper steel roof.

Is a steel roof considered to be a good thing? You only see them at high altitude here in CH, talking 2500+ metres. I guess they will be pretty sturdy but I can only imagine they will be incredibly noisy when it rains.

Signing contracts on the chalet on Friday. Got a call from the bank because I moved 400k between accounts and apparently have a 100k per month limit for doing that... but they agreed to waive the fees which would have been Fr1300. Phew.

I need to start buying an entire house of furniture and other kit. Everything is loving expensive and it's hard to find a balance between nice stuff and getting totally ripped off. I also want to put some decking on the terrace and some of the quotes I've seen are eye watering - like Fr10k for 20m2.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Powers posted:

I am 1 month, 10 days from closing. I bought a tractor today. gently caress push snowblowing a 400' driveway.

I have a 40+ foot incline between my garage and the street, over about 50 ft of distance. Not looking forward to living in a snow-prone climate.

On the bright side, my parents are getting a snowblower running.... I am going to be using a lot of salt this winter...

they also succeeded in getting my grandparents' 80s retro tractor going, that hardly has any mileage before my grandpa got alzheimers and my grandma started hiring it out (and replaced all the tires) :getin:

"the Bolens 1600 hydro eliminator"

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 9, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Is a steel roof considered to be a good thing? You only see them at high altitude here in CH, talking 2500+ metres. I guess they will be pretty sturdy but I can only imagine they will be incredibly noisy when it rains.

Steel roof, if properly done, is preferable in our area. I think they got 200 inches of lake effect snow last year. The other nice benefit is any leaves or pine needles that fall tend to slide off. On shingled roofs pine needles are a bitch and cause early rot. Aluminum roofing has been popping up too, it looks almost like slate when done well. I've never noticed steel roofing to be noisy in the rain, at least not indoors. There's so much insulation in the attic or ceilings that it'd deaden the sound.

I have a Bolens snowblower that my grandfather bought for a gift for my parents in 1985. It's a beast.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This tractor is an old Ariens. I need to do some refurbishing of it, but it runs strong. I am going to paint it Ford Blue with a white racing stripe. I was planning to push mow the lawn because it's relatively small and rectangular, but why would I do that if I have a mower deck for the tractor.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Mr. Powers posted:

This tractor is an old Ariens. I need to do some refurbishing of it, but it runs strong. I am going to paint it Ford Blue with a white racing stripe. I was planning to push mow the lawn because it's relatively small and rectangular, but why would I do that if I have a mower deck for the tractor.

Get the snowblower attachment if the driveway is paved. You can thank me later.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

daslog posted:

My mom made me buy an Ariens snowblower off Craigslist when I bought this house. I wasn't familiar with the brand ("sounds racist lol") and the model I got is older than I am, but was a loving self-propelled behemoth last winter. Takes some learning for the 80 different levers though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

daslog posted:

Snowblower/wheel weights/chains and mower deck included. Driveway is not currently paved, so I'll need to adjust the shoe height up a tad and have a healthy supply of shear bolts on hand.

E: the snowblower was the whole reason for it. I could probably push mow the lawn in well under an hour.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Zero VGS posted:

My mom made me buy an Ariens snowblower off Craigslist when I bought this house. I wasn't familiar with the brand ("sounds racist lol") and the model I got is older than I am, but was a loving self-propelled behemoth last winter. Takes some learning for the 80 different levers though.

I love my snowblower so much I bought a branded hat.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Are electric snow blowers any use at all or not even worth bothering with? Just for clearing a footpath

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Are electric snow blowers any use at all or not even worth bothering with? Just for clearing a footpath

How much snow do you get? If it's a couple of inches, not terribly packed down, and doesn't need to throw far, you'd be OK. If it gets wet (heavy), is more than 6 inches deep, or a combination of the two, you'll have issues. Worst case it'll plug up, not throw the snow far, and be lovely.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

knox_harrington posted:

I'm all about electric poo poo, I drive an electric car, built an electric bike.

The battery-electric snowblowers suck unless you get one with insane voltage, and then it is going to cost multiples of a gas equivalent. You use it a handful of times a year so the electric is probably just as bad on pollution since you have the battery sitting stagnant most of the year.

The corded electric can be decent but the cord is a massive pain in the rear end in practice. Get the highest amp you can if you go that route. The one nice thing is electric is easier to return to the store; Home Depot etc. won't take some blowers back if they have any gas in the tank at all.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

All batteries suck in the cold so battery powered things meant to work in the cold suck.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I love the idea of an electric snowblower because I have solar panels and generate more than I use, so they'd be arguably the most environmentally friendly option... but I live in Minnesota so I feel like I'd be asking for a giant headache if I got an electric one.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's a ski resort so hopefully quite a lot of snow. I guess I'll wait and see what the deal is, there are other chalets that are on the same path (but we're at the end).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm guessing buying a used gasoline snowblower and refurbishing it rather than buying anything new will be the most eco friendly

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, the absolute most eco friendly solution would be a shovel.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, the absolute most eco friendly solution would be a shovel.
Well, the most eco friendly solution would be to keel over dead. There's a reason it's called cardiac snow.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Good news/bad news, the inspection came back really good AND there’s no oil tank buried in the yard. The GFCI’s need to get fixed and they need to cap the chimney. The rest is super minor stuff. Thank you boomers who in the 70s replaced all the walls and wiring of this 1905 house!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Dik Hz posted:

Well, the most eco friendly solution would be to keel over dead. There's a reason it's called cardiac snow.

The best question I ask our senior patients to determine their level of functional status is "can you shovel your own snow?" If you say yes you automatically have a healthy enough heart to undergo surgery.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Our offer was accepted. Trying not to stress about scheduling inspection and getting the last lender updates. This is moving uncomfortably quick.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Crimpanzee posted:

Our offer was accepted. Trying not to stress about scheduling inspection and getting the last lender updates. This is moving uncomfortably quick.

How many days to close?

zelah posted:

Good news/bad news, the inspection came back really good AND there’s no oil tank buried in the yard. The GFCI’s need to get fixed and they need to cap the chimney. The rest is super minor stuff. Thank you boomers who in the 70s replaced all the walls and wiring of this 1905 house!

:toot:

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Re: electric snowblowers, we have one in WI and it works well for lighter snow falls. In big storms we either have to be out there every few hours to keep up or we just wait and shovel by hand at the end. We'll probably update in the next few years to gas but the electric one is fine for probably 75% of times we have to clear the driveway.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm guessing buying a used gasoline snowblower and refurbishing it rather than buying anything new will be the most eco friendly

Yes, that's true, but also probably beyond my limited capability with anything mechanical.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zelah posted:

Fixing GFCI is often like the easiest thing ever. Besides, the only thing usually wrong with GFCI not tripping is the equivalent of having a non-GFCI outlet, which people had for a really really long time.

Fire Storm posted:

L.
O.
Motherfucking
L.

School started less than a week after purchase instead of the 2+ weeks we were initially told, so we turbo-moved what we could, no packing required!

"No new big bills until we pay the car off!"
*gutter guards* Good experience with the ones I got on the old house, new house has WAY more trees
*Wife insists on new floors* Now I have 1000 sqft of "hand scraped maple" to get rid of.
*New Windows* Old ones... I could feel breeze through some of them and offered no noise barrier, so I knew they would suck in the winter
*WAY too much on exterminators* (mostly sealing up holes, covering vents, but also removing a few huge hornet nests and sealing old carpenter bee holes. Too much? Maybe. Worth it.) Saw some old mice droppings and some older bat activity on the initial inspection... BUT HE DIDN'T FIND THE loving FLYING SQUIRREL COLONY IN THE loving ATTICS. They were treating for mice until a squirrel made it into my bedroom. Fuckers were active at night in the wall behind my headboard and the ceiling above my bed. Got a total of 11 and the walls have been silent for a week!

And still haven't replaced the completely failed upstairs AC (DOA on purchase, got concessions for that).

DO. NEVER. BUY. (No regrets though, really. Great house, size, location and schools.)

Still gotta sell the old house. poo poo, still gotta move some stuff out. Lose September due to many combined illnesses.

On the other hand, we bought a complete fixer upper that looks like this:

https://imgur.com/a/K4XB6y9

As part of the restoration process (ongoing), we found out that the electrical and structural were run extremely well, the windows that were used were Anderson and of the highest quality in 1988 and still will last today (so we did not replace them), the foundation is in very good shape, and the layout while appearing completely unworkable to all other flippers when we bought it is actually completely workable and fine!

I'm now happily living in the 2nd floor that was just remodeled. When I moved in, I realized that the wall and floor insulation was done really well in the 1980s by the previous owners.

And our contractor cost is going to be less than expected/budgeted for!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

These sorts of staircases are really bad for feng shui, which if you are marketing to Asian buyers may turn away a lot of them. The other kind (grand staircases) are very good for Feng Shui.

Yes, I think of things like this because I'm in the SF Bay Area.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

How many days to close?

:toot:

We should close on the 8th, so not super fast, my agents are just really good at making me feel the 5 day deadlines. Wife informed me she is leaving for vacation on the 10th, guess I'm moving by myself!

I scheduled my inspection over lunch today but haven't been able to find someone to scope the sewer. Pushing on my local lender to bring their rate down from 3.5, Better offered me 3.25 this morning with 1 point, closing costs are a wash.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ntan1 posted:

These sorts of staircases are really bad for feng shui, which if you are marketing to Asian buyers may turn away a lot of them. The other kind (grand staircases) are very good for Feng Shui.

Yes, I think of things like this because I'm in the SF Bay Area.

Those sorts of staircases are really bad for everything. They don't even look particularly good. The only place they accel is ascending/descending in a small area, but even then I'm guessing a ladder would be easier to deal with on a daily basis.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Crimpanzee posted:

We should close on the 8th, so not super fast, my agents are just really good at making me feel the 5 day deadlines. Wife informed me she is leaving for vacation on the 10th, guess I'm moving by myself!

I scheduled my inspection over lunch today but haven't been able to find someone to scope the sewer. Pushing on my local lender to bring their rate down from 3.5, Better offered me 3.25 this morning with 1 point, closing costs are a wash.

Hire movers to come on the 11th. And if your agent is on top of you that's great. Figure out your loan situation and then direct their energy at the lender.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hello thread, I've got a question about closing and one about title insurance.

For closing, my lender asked to verify liquid assets that are about $15k/15% higher than the estimated costs to close. While it won't be a problem to come up with that, is this an alarm that the closing costs estimate was completely out of whack or is there some margin that includes taxes/interest/trended monthly spend that they are working off? I have a question out to them how they came up with this rather specific amount, I'm just really curious.

On the title insurance, what are the magic words to make sure I'm insured (and not just my lender) against leins or claims that come out of the woodwork? I've asked my title company casually and someone who worked in the land title industry here in the state and they have all been "wtf?" when I'm asking to differentiate. Could it be that my state has that built in to insure owner/buyer and lender? I'm in Missouri. I know this thread has made a compelling case to get it, just want to make sure I'm covered.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think I've figured out the title insurance bit, and it's good news. The "policy to be issued" section has an Owner's policy that lists us, the buyers, for the purchase price, and a line for the lender for the loan amount. It's on freaking page 2 of the commitment document. I can tell I've been swimming in too many PDFs the last few days. I guess everyone did follow my direction initially :)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Now imagine doing all this last century without .pdfs, email, and e-sign. :corsair:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I cannot. The title company is in the same building as my work, so even dropping off the earnest check was painless. Can’t imagine having to go back and forth a million times to meet someone to sign stuff on top of all the other nonsense

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Hed posted:

Hello thread, I've got a question about closing and one about title insurance.

For closing, my lender asked to verify liquid assets that are about $15k/15% higher than the estimated costs to close. While it won't be a problem to come up with that, is this an alarm that the closing costs estimate was completely out of whack or is there some margin that includes taxes/interest/trended monthly spend that they are working off? I have a question out to them how they came up with this rather specific amount, I'm just really curious.

Generally speaking, the only scenario on a conventional (Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac) backed conforming loan that a lender would ask to verify more than current funds to close balance is if you are using an asset that requires liquidation. Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, 401k/IRA etc, all require proof of liquidation if the balance is less than 120% of the funds to close total.

If you are not using any of those types of assets, they should not be trying to verify more than what is required currently.

Quick caveat off of this is your lender may have "backed out" funds from your current asset balance. If you were providing a 15k EMD for instance, and it had not cleared the bank statement at the time of initial underwrite, a lot of UWs would just reduce your current balance by 15k, since they assume the EMD will come from that account anyway. That could cause your current balance to be lower in practice, than what is actually on the bank statements you sent in. This also applies to any debt that may be paid off in order to qualify for your loan.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well that was pretty weird. Signing the deed of sale (acte de vente) means everyone gets in a room with the notary and goes through the deed line by line. I brought a lawyer which was apparently a surprise, but for some reason the estate agent was in there and also her husband??? No idea. It is extremely local and everyone goes hunting with everyone else.

Everyone was very impressed with the lawyer who is apparently the son of a local philanthropist and all the changes to the deed we wanted were made on the fly. So we signed and the place will be ours when the bank gets around to sending the money.

After that they're like "great who wants a drink" and we headed up to the château for a bottle of wine and some deer sausage (?)

Bought a sofa on the way home.