Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CityMidnightJunky posted:

My pet peeves is people who say things like 'its not moral to being a baby into this world' or 'humans are a cancer on the planet', that sort of thing.

Like any single one of you would choose not to be alive at all over being alive in a world where you're at best minorly inconvenienced in comparison to people only 100 years ago. Stop listening to Linkin Park and live a little.

I'm 100% with you on not having kids though.

Also people who whistle can gently caress off. No one has ever enjoyed hearing someone whistle except the person whistling. Everyone else wants you to gently caress off.

I literally would choose not to be alive at all. Not being alive, as far as I remember, was pretty fine. Returning to that state someday is going to be the scary part.

Agreed with you on whistling though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Also people who whistle can gently caress off. No one has ever enjoyed hearing someone whistle except the person whistling. Everyone else wants you to gently caress off.

I adore whistling (mine, not other people's) and after reading your post I googled "professional whistler" and found this guy. I can whistle just as well as him, how can I monetize this? Will you pay me to not whistle around you?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Can't be a champion if you've got mushy lips tho, and if your avatar is any indication I'm not sure you actually know how to whistle at all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Please don’t whistle, especially around people’s homes or in public bathrooms

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Someone keeps coming to the hospital, picking their nose, and wiping the boogers all over the wall of a specific bathroom, and I hope they experience terror

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

mojo1701a posted:

Or what's wrong with the food he just ate. He really doesn't know how to do anything in the kitchen, has no real standard for food (grilled steak for us as kids was always rough and grey, or ribs were quickly grilled and tough), , but then he'll start offering his opinion on what you should do, or how it "would've been better if...". We once went to a restaurant where I ordered ribs, and he thought that the restaurant had probably just boiled the ribs and then quickly grilled them. Maybe someone who's worked in a restaurant like this can correct me, but when a restaurant advertises itself as mainly rotisserie chicken & ribs (that you can see), somehow I doubt they're going to ready pots of water to boil ribs. My mom is an actual cook, and ends up letting out a giant, "What are you talking about?!" every time he mentions this.

Men have a bigger tendency to allow their bravado/ego to carry more of a conversation. So if they say some dumb poo poo once to make conversation, even if they knew it was BS at the time they will state it as fact from then on even after they have been corrected. They said it, so its true. Only gets worse with age.

mojo1701a posted:

Me: "I just realized that a lot of what I was eating was filler. Cut out a lot of carbohydrates: pasta, chips, corn, etc. Started going to the gym, and upped my protein intake to help with that.
My aunt: "Oh, I hear too much protein is bad for you! Are you really sure you should be doing that?

Me: Actual plan that will work*

Them: Heard X is bad for you from a cousins-sisters blogpost, much worse than keeping up with my undeniably lovely habits. I am also going to keep complaining about how what I am doing does not work.

To expand upon the protein things. I got some protein powder for weight lifting a couple of years ago, the package has that sort of ENERGY! marketing on it, so to them it's like I am almost doing STEROIDS. My dad got worried that I would be fat from taking it, while my step mom did take chocolate milk powder mixture. Checked the ingredients, almost same Carbohydrates/Sugar/Protein mix. Just that my one tasted less like poo poo and was cheaper.

Midig has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Oct 11, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

artsy fartsy posted:

I adore whistling (mine, not other people's) and after reading your post I googled "professional whistler" and found this guy. I can whistle just as well as him, how can I monetize this? Will you pay me to not whistle around you?

I have had this exact same sequence of thoughts. I should just advertise myself.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Youtube apparently wants their phone app to be actually unusable. They apparently added a "feature" that autoplays videos you hover over in your recommended feed...with audio. Who wants this? How can you browse in public when random poo poo is constantly going to start playing unless you keep scrolling constantly? Why is there apparently no option to turn this off, at least not where you'd expect it to be (e.g. the "settings" menu)?

Just revert it back to what it was like 2 years ago. It was fine. Stop "fixing" it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Youtube apparently wants their phone app to be actually unusable. They apparently added a "feature" that autoplays videos you hover over in your recommended feed...with audio. Who wants this? How can you browse in public when random poo poo is constantly going to start playing unless you keep scrolling constantly? Why is there apparently no option to turn this off, at least not where you'd expect it to be (e.g. the "settings" menu)?

Just revert it back to what it was like 2 years ago. It was fine. Stop "fixing" it.

don't use the app, just use the mobile website. it does all the same poo poo but without an update every week or any touchscreen controls beyond "put finger on thing you want."

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

just use the mobile website

This is good advice for watching on a desktop too. So much less bullshit in the way.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

One thing that really improved my internet use was a scriptkiller, I just kill everything that sucks about a website, every ad or useless bit of obnoxious horseshit, i don't care if the layout becomes fucky as long as I can read something normally or watch a video without ads or messages

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

People who push the close door button on elevators. I don't know why you being an impatient gently caress annoys me so much. Maybe it's because pressing that button does jack poo poo. Maybe it's because a good 80% of the time you do it right after you got on. Which means the journey would have been a lot quicker if we didn't have to stop for your rear end to get on in the first place.

On the opposite, sometimes it does work. The last two places I've worked have had an active door open and door close button. At one place, if you didn't hit close, it would sit for 15 seconds.

At my current place, it works but it's not necessary. The drat door self closes within 2 seconds of opening. Sometimes the doors hit you on the shoulders while you walk from the call button into the elevator. Really irritating.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Ounces

What a stupid unit of measurement.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Family members who borrow your nice winter coat and then leave snotty tissues in your pockets for you to find later.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The worst thing is when you forget a receipt or tissue and put the thing in the wash. You end up with little bits of wet shrapnel that refuse to go away.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Family members who borrow your nice winter coat and then leave snotty tissues in your pockets for you to find later.

I left a banana in my sister's jacket pocket one time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wish my mom would stop asking me what I want for Christmas, because the answer is always "nothing." I don't want a damned thing for Christmas, and stop getting offended because I know you already bought me another pair of cheap slippers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Christmas related peeve, people who get insulted by me not liking Christmas. I grew up cripplingly poor with a family that outright said they hoped I'd die last time I saw them 17 years ago (and my dad tried to make it happen lmao I'm still here bitch), so the whole family and presents thing just makes me bitter. I generally keep it to myself unless prompted but of course if you dont show the exact right amount of enthusiasm, the inquisition comes out and demands to know why.

The most memorable instance is when a bunch of gay people were commiserating about lovely families and how christmas is always a loving chore, someone barged in and melted down about how we were ERASING their EXPERIENCES by not liking christmas, like we were hating christmas as a personal attack against them. God drat I hate christmas so much.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Danaru posted:

Christmas related peeve, people who get insulted by me not liking Christmas. I grew up cripplingly poor with a family that outright said they hoped I'd die last time I saw them 17 years ago (and my dad tried to make it happen lmao I'm still here bitch), so the whole family and presents thing just makes me bitter. I generally keep it to myself unless prompted but of course if you dont show the exact right amount of enthusiasm, the inquisition comes out and demands to know why.

The most memorable instance is when a bunch of gay people were commiserating about lovely families and how christmas is always a loving chore, someone barged in and melted down about how we were ERASING their EXPERIENCES by not liking christmas, like we were hating christmas as a personal attack against them. God drat I hate christmas so much.

December is an absolute nightmare when you have no friends or family at all. I lost my entire social network in a bad divorce. Now I live in hiding from my ex, meaning finding a new one is pretty difficult.
Also, when I grew up, Christmas meant saving up so Granny would make lots of special food and biscuits. So Christmas gifts for me means box of home made biscuits. I never learned how to shop for proper gifts.

Unrelated peeve: People who come home from work around 3 in the morning, every day, and drive with their speakers on full blast, slam their doors, and generally do everything they can to wake up every single neighbour.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Danaru posted:

gently caress. I'm sorry you had to go through this poo poo. Good thing you survived it. gently caress Christmas.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish my mom would stop asking me what I want for Christmas, because the answer is always "nothing." I don't want a damned thing for Christmas, and stop getting offended because I know you already bought me another pair of cheap slippers.

also don't get pissed when I say "cash". If you're going to get me something, that's what I'd prefer it to be, if I want a Thing, i'll buy it myself. They seem to be offended by the idea of cash, but gift cards are somehow fine. I mean, I still appreciate it, it's technically money, but it's harder to use money. On one hand, it's nice being so loaded up on shell gas cards that i haven't paid my own money for gas in over a year, but on the other, when am I going to think "you know, I could really go for 25 dollars worth of applebees, i'm going to drive 15 minutes to get there instead of eating basically anything else"?

and don't pull that "we're not doing gifts this year". Whenever they say this and a family member doesn't bring gifts, they just talk poo poo about them behind their back for the next year about how they "should have known" they didn't actually mean it. But then if you DO buy a gift, it's this weird aggressive exchange of "i TOLD you not to get any drat gifts! but fine, i'll take it, but next year you better not get me anything. here's my gift I got because I knew your dumb rear end would pull this crap again. why do we do this every year? Next year we shouldn't even get together".

Every single year. It always ends with swearing we'll never do it again, but then we do.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What I hate is that the gift exchange always becomes a money game. My parents are always fawning all over how nice my brother is to spend so much money on things for his family, whereas there's always resentment that I drove 8 hours to get there and didn't spend that much because I have to do things like pay bills.

Last year I thought I was a genius because I bought some new board games for them. Two out of three went over well, but there was still a lot of resentment that I didn't spend a shitload of money.

If you want to know the games, Potion Explosion and Splendor went over well, Pandemic nearly caused a fist fight during setup.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pet peeve: lovely fans who make me like things less. I know this shouldn't affect me but it does. For example: my enjoyment of Breaking Bad is retroactively lessened by memories of people calling Skylar a bitch and thinking Walt was someone to be admired, rather than being poo poo from E1.

Also, being hungry and waiting for soup to cool down.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:same:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pet peeve: lovely fans who make me like things less. I know this shouldn't affect me but it does. For example: my enjoyment of Breaking Bad is retroactively lessened by memories of people calling Skylar a bitch and thinking Walt was someone to be admired, rather than being poo poo from E1.

I didn't watch Rick & Morty for years due to this. Then I did it to spite them.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Brawnfire posted:

I didn't watch Rick & Morty for years due to this. Then I did it to spite them.

Same, and then I watched it and thought it was pretty funny, and then I hated myself.

Kind of like that time where I didn’t watch any avengers movies for the longest time, and then I did and enjoyed it, and then I hated myself.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:same: but with Doctor Who.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Same, and then I watched it and thought it was pretty funny, and then I hated myself.

Kind of like that time where I didn’t watch any avengers movies for the longest time, and then I did and enjoyed it, and then I hated myself.

Really hating yourself is the inevitable endpoint of any sequence of events.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Bro they’re just shows

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

My pet peeve is this poo poo - people who waste their time worrying about their taste in entertainment - if you enjoy something, own it. It means you saw something in it that you liked despite it's flaws. Life's too short to waste on feeling guilty about pleasure.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

My pet peeve is this poo poo - people who waste their time worrying about their taste in entertainment - if you enjoy something, own it. It means you saw something in it that you liked despite it's flaws. Life's too short to waste on feeling guilty about pleasure.

I can kind of empathize with them, it always sucks having to admit you were wrong, even if it's only to yourself. And if you choose to keep it to yourself, it can be hard to keep up the charade of hating something you actually like.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Guys it was a joke

A dumb one, but still a joke

I don’t really give a poo poo about liking anything wrt the fan base

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zoom or volume bars which don't stick to exactly 100% when you use the scroll wheel or click on them.

PDFs which open at a gigantic blown up size with no apparent way to change this setting. I'm not blind, show me two pages side by side by default

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Zoom or volume bars which don't stick to exactly 100% when you use the scroll wheel or click on them.

My volume bar peeve is volume that scales exponentially or something non-linear. Hearthstone is a very well known example of an awful sound bar. Like this is the only setting where it's tolerably loud:

anything above that for the master volume, it just swamps any other sound out. It's so drat loud. Just one tick on the bar is like a 150% sound increase.

And on the opposite end, some apps have to be at full volume to be at a normal listening volume. In an ideal world you could just set the decibel level manually. Unlabeled scalebars that work differently from thing to thing are useless.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Unpopular pet peeve opinion: these sorts of things are not "first world problems", they are universal annoyances, I bet there's a dude in South Sudan somewhere trying to get his VLC volume slider to sit at 100% and getting pissed off

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My volume bar peeve is volume that scales exponentially or something non-linear. Hearthstone is a very well known example of an awful sound bar. Like this is the only setting where it's tolerably loud:

anything above that for the master volume, it just swamps any other sound out. It's so drat loud. Just one tick on the bar is like a 150% sound increase.

And on the opposite end, some apps have to be at full volume to be at a normal listening volume. In an ideal world you could just set the decibel level manually. Unlabeled scalebars that work differently from thing to thing are useless.

How to normalize sound volume on Windows 10.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When you have a place to be that you don't even want to go to the first place, but you buck up and go anyway with a 'at least im being productive now' feeling. Then you get there and hardly anyone else has shown up, so now you feel double stupid that you should have just stayed the hell home.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

First-person video games where raindrops hit the screen. That's meant to be my eyes. How are raindrops hitting and running down my eyes? That's not a thing that can happen.

Still kind of annoying in third-person games because it gives the impression that there's supposed to be a physical camera there when there really shouldn't be, but at least not as dumb as in first-person games.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tiggum posted:

First-person video games where raindrops hit the screen. That's meant to be my eyes. How are raindrops hitting and running down my eyes? That's not a thing that can happen.

Still kind of annoying in third-person games because it gives the impression that there's supposed to be a physical camera there when there really shouldn't be, but at least not as dumb as in first-person games.

Same for lens flares. Eyes do not work that way!

It's acceptable in like, halo or metroid prime, where there's a visor, but the lens flare is still wrong there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who get all uppity if you didn't reply to their message. I just got a message from a friend who goes all "hey person who doesn't answer messages", like come on dude don't be clingy, I don't like typing on my phone and I'm not the type to keep in touch all the time