Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KDdidit posted:

Rough day for west Cook County peeps. Summit, McCook, and Lyons village offices had the FBI stop by. Getty in Lyons is a supreme dirtbag, his handpicked school board candidates turned my old grade school in D103 into a shitshow.

*** UPDATED x5 - Looking at McCook contractors - IRS involved - “Investigative activity” in Summit - Lyons mayor insurance office raided - Lyons, “other locations” also raided *** Report: “Multiple locations” raided by FBI

Lmao anyone who has lived near those areas knows all three of those towns are odd. Hell, it's generally known as Scummit, although I suspect that also has a racial component since it has a large population of Latinos.

But it is the home to the original El Famous and the far superior El Faro.

McCook is shady as gently caress since it's population is tiny but it pulls in massive amounts of money because of all the industry. And Lyons has always been the low man on the totem pole of Riverside/Brookfield/Lyons trio of towns. Which is an little odd since I believe it was the original town in the area and founder of the township cause the high school in LaGrange is Lyons Township High School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I used to drive through McCook all the time and it was hilarious that surely more people worked in McCook than lived there.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Minto Took posted:

I used to drive through McCook all the time and it was hilarious that surely more people worked in McCook than lived there.

There absolutely are more people working in McCook than living there since the population is less than 300 people iirc.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

TMMadman posted:

Lmao anyone who has lived near those areas knows all three of those towns are odd. Hell, it's generally known as Scummit, although I suspect that also has a racial component since it has a large population of Latinos.

But it is the home to the original El Famous and the far superior El Faro.

McCook is shady as gently caress since it's population is tiny but it pulls in massive amounts of money because of all the industry. And Lyons has always been the low man on the totem pole of Riverside/Brookfield/Lyons trio of towns. Which is an little odd since I believe it was the original town in the area and founder of the township cause the high school in LaGrange is Lyons Township High School.

Ah man, I had forgotten about El Faro. I worked a short stint in Summit and that was the only good thing about the place.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
https://www.peoriapublicradio.org/post/embattled-tazewell-board-member-steps-down-pekin-ambucs-leadership#stream/0

Local Central Illinois dumbfuck who happens to be the president of the local AMBUCS was so angry about Greta Thunberg he decided to throw some ableist slurs at her that managed to insult her appearance, people with down syndrome and even Asians as well.

Needless to say, this is not particularly compatible with being president of the local AMBUCS.

Sadly it's evidently quite compatible with serving on the Tazewell County Board.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The number of old white men throwing insults at a girl that cares about the planet shouldn't surprise me, but it does.

Like there's no way to win that argument but they try anyway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

nice to see PeKKKin hasn't changed

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/RepKinzinger/status/1178489464504619013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yikes

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kinzinger is such a fuckin' dickweed

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I know Karla from my UU church where she's amazingly hard-working and doesn't take any poo poo from anyone. She organizes a Social Justice Fair every year here in Bloomington, she is activist as gently caress, and if you can vote for her, vote for her.

https://www.wglt.org/post/democrat-karla-bailey-smith-announces-race-88th-house-district

quote:

Karla Bailey-Smith of Bloomington made her official 2020 campaign announcement Thursday in the race for Illinois’ 88th House District.

Bailey-Smith said incumbent Rep. Keith Sommer doesn’t represent his consituents as seen in his votes against the Keep Families Together Act, the teacher salary increase, and adding a gender nonbinary option on state IDs.

She said voters should look up his record for themselves.

“I don't think he's working as hard for the people of the 88th district as he could be,” she said. “I think he's working for the interest of businesses that are more interested in their profits than they are in their workers.”

Bailey-Smith vowed not to try and outspend Sommer in next year’s election. She said she’s had enough of campaigns bombarding constituents with contribution requests.

“I would really like to try and gather support from friends and from groups that I'm already involved with, to knock on doors and to talk to people directly rather than spending a lot of money on things like TV ads,” she said.

Sommer has served in the Illinois Legislature since 1999. He defeated last year’s Democratic challenger Jill Blair with 59% of the vote.

Bailey-Smith owns a painting business and is a guest scenic artist at Illinois Wesleyan University’s School of Theatre Arts.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/1182337474829402113

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

It is the worst thing he's done. Millions potentially will die.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Yeah but a gop congressman is generally okay if not excited at that prospect

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Yeah but a gop congressman is generally okay if not excited at that prospect

Methinks Shimkus' polling is becoming worrisome. Who's running against him for the D's out there?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Oracle posted:

Methinks Shimkus' polling is becoming worrisome. Who's running against him for the D's out there?

He announced last month that he is not running for re-election. That is why he is willing to criticize. As my Rep, I hope Trump bitches about him on Twitter and he is made to respond.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/tinasfon/status/1182637086828060673?s=21

I feel like JB could just get all his cousins to cut a check to the pension funds for a pretty small percentage of their net worth and we’d be not insignificantly better off

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/tinasfon/status/1182637086828060673?s=21

I feel like JB could just get all his cousins to cut a check to the pension funds for a pretty small percentage of their net worth and we’d be not insignificantly better off

According to Wikipedia, the difference between Illinois’ pension obligation and its pension funds is $129 billion. They could donate all of their wealth to the state of Illinois and Illinois would still have a budget problem.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm not blaming workers for the bad deals that were brokered but the pension system as it is cannot be sustained. There's just no way. The shortfall is close to $20k per resident per year.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh hey ACAB. Mayor Lightfoot Releases Records On Police 'Cover-Up' For Officer Who Killed Laquan McDonald

quote:

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot's administration Wednesday afternoon released thousands of pages of long-hidden records from the city's investigation of an alleged cover-up for Jason Van Dyke, the officer sent to prison for killing Laquan McDonald in 2014.

The records consist of reports from Inspector General Joseph Ferguson recommending discipline for 16 officers based on his office's 2016-2017 probe into the police department's handling of the shooting, recorded by a now-infamous dashcam video hidden from the public for more than a year by then-Mayor Rahm Emanuel's administration.

The release also includes scores of documents that accompanied Ferguson's reports, largely fulfilling a Lightfoot campaign promise to release "all the attachments and the evidence" for the reports.

The 16 officers investigated include 11 officers that Ferguson recommended for dismissal in the alleged cover-up, four other officers he recommended for discipline for failing to ensure their dashboard cameras were working properly that night, and a Bureau of Detectives lieutenant who left the department before Ferguson issued a scathing report about his role in CPD's investigation of the shooting.
Go read it, its uh... interesting in that inimical Chicago way.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I thought she was close to the police union, what happened to get her to do this?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
She promised that she'd do it during the campaign (though she made a bunch of other promises that didn't pan out).

That said, it makes her sticking with Eddie Johnson look pretty bad.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

I thought she was close to the police union, what happened to get her to do this?

Read to the end of the article. A rule was changed that allowed the information to be released by the city council and another change about releasing cop records, both have the police union howling.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Exelon CEO (former Com Ed CEO)has an abrupt retirement. All the news sources are speculating that her retirement is tied to the senator Sandoval probe.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/business/2019/10/15/20916403/top-exelon-exec-retires-amid-federal-investigation

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Exelon is corrupt as hell

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Got to meet Rachel Ventura tonight, who's a DSA member on the Will County board and is now running to primary Bill "bad Dem" Foster in IL-11

It was awesome to hear someone's stump speech be Green New Deal and M4A

If you have a few bucks to spare or live in her district, please help support purging the bad Dems

https://www.rachelfventura.com/

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Stefanie Smith is running in IL-13 - I've gotten to talk to her a few times and she is pretty great. M4A, GND, and pro sex work decriminalization are my favorite highlights. Endorsed by at least one DSA chapter so far, and she showed up in Chicago for the CTU/SEIU73 strike yesterday. I'm a fan

https://www.stefanie2020.com/

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
IL-12 has two potential Dems and they both seem like sacrificial lambs. One's a 72 year old that wants policies "75% of people support" and the other is in finance. It's just territoriality ceded to white nationalists here.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Apparently, some Republicans in Florida want Jim Oberweis to drop from IL-14 and run for a vacant safe-R seat in FL-19. On top of that, Rubio will be in Oak Brook for a fundraiser Friday with Oberweis. No GOP candidate has announced yet for FL-19, so maybe he's going to carpetbag his way to Florida to finally get a seat.

https://www.politico.com/newsletter...pit-stop-487505

Jows
May 8, 2002

Sailor Jerry posted:

Apparently, some Republicans in Florida want Jim Oberweis to drop from IL-14 and run for a vacant safe-R seat in FL-19. On top of that, Rubio will be in Oak Brook for a fundraiser Friday with Oberweis. No GOP candidate has announced yet for FL-19, so maybe he's going to carpetbag his way to Florida to finally get a seat.

https://www.politico.com/newsletter...pit-stop-487505

If he's successful, that would be a sad day. It was always fun seeing him tilt at windmills for that senate seat he's always dreamed of.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Chicago teachers strike is over. 16% over 5 years, $35 million to reduce class size, new staff positions by 2023 are the big hits. Making up 5 of the strike days by the end of the year and class resumes tomorrow.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
E: wrong thread

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1191860776010702849?s=19

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

That tweet has been deleted.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Here's a screenshot

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yikes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Saw this morning that Pritzker said he would veto it if it somehow passed.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Saw this morning that Pritzker said he would veto it if it somehow passed.

Pritzker has been pleasantly surprising me his whole term so far.

In unrelated news our county clerk had to post to Facebook to tell people that no, there were no local or state elections today but he appreciates the enthusiasm as people were calling the office all day to see where they could go vote.

2020 gonna be wild y'all.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Oracle posted:

Pritzker has been pleasantly surprising me his whole term so far.
Yeah the vote I thought would be for the lesser evil actually turned out to be ... not very evil at all, especially by Illinois standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Oracle posted:

In unrelated news our county clerk had to post to Facebook to tell people that no, there were no local or state elections today but he appreciates the enthusiasm as people were calling the office all day to see where they could go vote.

2020 gonna be wild y'all.

There was an election reminder on “last week tonight” so I imagine this happened a lot. I know where to check online, so at least I didn’t embarrass myself in public.

Until now.