Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

pin as verification

hhehehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mystes posted:

https://twitter.com/digitallawyer/status/1181348689756864513

Unfortunately companies will really call you and then ask you to verify who you are with stuff like PINs and there's often nothing you can do except insist on calling them back which will make them indignant and waste 30 minutes of your time.

They need to have a way for you to verify that the call is legitimate, but considering that most banks have only just started to move toward telling people "log in and do X" rather than "click on this link that may not even be to our normal domain" in emails so I have no hopes that this situation will improve any time soon.

I've had to deal with Chase's fraud protection department and they were completely OK with me calling back on the number on the back of the card. Did some sort of magic in their system to automatically reroute me back to them with no wait when I called in. I was impressed at how painless it was.

what I'm wondering about that scammer is where they are getting their initial information from since it sounds like they know bank and name information for the target.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i had a client get hit with something similar recently, where they read off a list of recent transactions on the account. Normally I'd assume dumpster diving account statements or something, but a) they shred everything and b) these were very recent transactions that shouldn't have shown up anywhere but the online portal

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

what I'm wondering about that scammer is where they are getting their initial information from since it sounds like they know bank and name information for the target.

No need to wonder

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

maybe an infiltration into a less-hardened system where the attacker can see some basic info like name/transaction in a log file, but they can't get into the systems to get the final bits to where they can actually spoof transactions?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Companies such as advertisers buy people's transaction data from credit card companies, although I don't know if delayed somewhat or includes exact amounts? If it's detailed enough it could be a lot easier to obtain from the companies that buy it rather than directly from the banks.

Edit: It seems like it's supposed to be anonymized somewhat but I think it's also been previously reported that companies like Facebook have access to individual-level transaction data? You probably wouldn't even need 100% of recent transactions to make this work. In fact, any way of obtaining information on one or two recent transactions to mix in with made up fraudulent transactions would be enough to make this convincing. (I'm not saying that this actually happened here, but it's potentially worrying if this data is floating around for this reason.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 9, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://leahneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2019/10/ken-thompson-s-unix-password.html
lmao

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Varkk posted:

Apparently we are looking at getting Thycotic Privilege Manager. Does anyone here know anything about it? is it good, bad or a complete trash fire?

if its anything like their password reset software it will have a database with out any kind of schema/permissions structure, there will be no encryption for the data at rest, and their install procedure will tell you to give it domain admin without any kind of documentation on what permissions it actually needs if you want to scope it down to minimize your exposure from it. It's not impossible to shim in some mitigations and lock down permissions but don't expect them to do you any favors

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

on that note, I've been looking at Adaxes...

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2019/10/09/iterm2-critical-issue-moss-audit/

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh there we go. hookers.nl got hacked, it's a forum popular with visitors to prostitutes, and they share "tips and experiences". The hacker published a db dump. Data includes e-mail addresses, usernames, ip addresses and hashed passwords of 250000 accounts.

News site nos.nl looked at the data and says many of the e-mail addresses include peoples' real names. Users are being warned they might now become a target of blackmail.

E: The rest of the news article mention that apparently lots of prostitutes have accounts there too so their real identity might be revealed now, and also that, yep, it was vBulletin.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 10, 2019

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

yes but we can’t patch because [insert idiotic reason here]

sucks that these people are typically considered not the best protected, hope autoriteit persoonsgegevens and police can do anything and that they change literally everything..

ancilla probably has a valid opinion about this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's a secfuck alright

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

*fucksec

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I guess you could say the visitors of that website got hosed twice.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh got it I sort of confused your post and another about pin as verification

I absolutely got asked to say my PIN over the phone by my (major) american bank. I had called them to ask why I got an alert that my account had a new mobile phone number. They asked for PIN to quickly verify my identity. It was definitely them that I was talking to, since I called their main number, and they insisted that it was a common verification practice for over-the-phone stuff. Finally they explained that customers got a spurious mobile alert recently when installing the new app version, one that upgraded you over to a new database they had just transitioned to.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My bank has a password specifically for over-the-phone authentication that is totally separate from my online-banking password or my ATM PIN.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah the first thing I thought when I read that was "why don't you give the bank a password so then you can challenge if someone claiming to be them initiates contact"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
bank of america asks you to login to their app or online banking to confirm identity, chase used to ask for your atm pin, not sure what it does now.

Celexi fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 10, 2019

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
chases fraud number is one of the commonly spoofed numbers so if you google the number calling you asking about fraud transactions it will show up as a scammer. powerful way for my checking account to be locked

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

mystes posted:

https://twitter.com/digitallawyer/status/1181348689756864513

Unfortunately companies will really call you and then ask you to verify who you are with stuff like PINs and there's often nothing you can do except insist on calling them back which will make them indignant and waste 30 minutes of your time.

They need to have a way for you to verify that the call is legitimate, but considering that most banks have only just started to move toward telling people "log in and do X" rather than "click on this link that may not even be to our normal domain" in emails so I have no hopes that this situation will improve any time soon.

Step 3 would have triggered my concern. They're sending me a PIN to read back to confirm that I'm talking on the telephone that they made a call to and am currently talking to them on?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
whats tavis up to these days?

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1182418436120428544

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im pretty sure the debugger is left on on purpose so you can debug hosed up clients in the field.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

because ms is going to remote debug a random vscode install

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe to take a peek at what their competitors are coding

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shaggar posted:

im pretty sure the debugger is left on on purpose so you can debug hosed up clients in the field.

Come on dude.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

got some helpful security advice from usaa that's mostly not terrible information but this bit is good:

quote:

Stay alert for phishing attempts: Email fraud spikes during the holidays. You can be sure this message is from USAA by looking for our Security Zone in the top-right corner displaying your name and the last four digits of your USAA number.

you can be sure this is a genuine email by looking for our SECURITY ZONE™ which shows your name and a number you definitely don't have memorized, two things hackers can't ever possibly get or fake!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Fool posted:

brb paying $texas for live remote debug support contract on my free text editor

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Shame Boy posted:

got some helpful security advice from usaa that's mostly not terrible information but this bit is good:

you can be sure this is a genuine email by looking for our SECURITY ZONE™ which shows your name and a number you definitely don't have memorized, two things hackers can't ever possibly get or fake!

Yeah but odds are the phisher won't bother because that would require work and quality control which criminals are not known for. Phishing doesn't have to be good, it just has to work on a small, dumb population.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

ewiley posted:

Yeah but odds are the phisher won't bother because that would require work and quality control which criminals are not known for. Phishing doesn't have to be good, it just has to work on a small, dumb population.

*flashing caption that says "This is what future phishing victims actually believe"*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poo poo this email looks dodgy but weedlord bonerhitler 6969 is in the corner :shrug:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

once i reported a lovely fake looking email to my bank, they told me it was both real and not to worry that they were sending me emails with a style they hadnt used in more than a decade

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I still laugh when I get mails with "hey, [real name], click here to see your latest Paypal transactions"

I'm like 75% sure it is legit (got my real name and written in my native language) but I've never clicked the links in the mail, that all go to the dodgy looking "epl.paypal-communication.com" which people online are hotly debating whether is legit or a scam, but it DOES have a valid Paypal TLS certificate.

If those are legit, Paypal is basically doing its best to appear dodgy as gently caress.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

once i reported a lovely fake looking email to my bank, they told me it was both real and not to worry that they were sending me emails with a style they hadnt used in more than a decade

my bank (bofa (deez nuts)) keeps restyling their website every few years and they give absolutely no notice that they’re about to do this, you just go there and it’s different. i always make a worthless call to suggest they might want to send a courtesy email or banner on the site a few days in advance but nah, gently caress that. :homebrew:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Fool posted:

is this the vsco-de girl invasion i've been hearing about?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is Bitwarden (password manager) good?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midjack posted:

my bank (bofa (deez nuts)) keeps restyling their website every few years and they give absolutely no notice that they’re about to do this, you just go there and it’s different. i always make a worthless call to suggest they might want to send a courtesy email or banner on the site a few days in advance but nah, gently caress that. :homebrew:
This is the bank that used to send emails telling people to go to "www.myfraudprotection.com" to review suspicious activity on their credit cards. This is the bank that had you select stupid pictures they would show you when you tried to log in for like 10 years (I seriously doubt anyone could explain how that was supposed to improve security).

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

mystes posted:

(I seriously doubt anyone could explain how that was supposed to improve security).

The idea is that it forces phishing sites to have to pass your username on to the real bank server in order to retrieve the picture to display to the user. But realistically the phishing site can just skip that step entirely and nobody notices or cares

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cafepress owned

quote:

Dear Valued Customer,

We are writing to notify you of a data security incident involving your personal information. This email explains what happened and provides information about what you can do in response. We are taking this matter very seriously and sincerely regret any concern it may cause you.

What Happened

CafePress recently discovered that an unidentified third party obtained customer information, without authorization, that was contained in a CafePress database. Based on our investigation to date, this may have occurred on or about February 19, 2019.

What Information Was Involved

The information may have included your name, email address, the password to your CafePress account, and other information.

What We Are Doing

We have been diligently investigating this incident with the assistance of outside experts. We also have contacted and are cooperating with U.S. federal law enforcement authorities. In addition, we have taken various steps to further enhance the security of our systems and your information, and the affected database has been moved to a different environment.

What You Can Do

We recommend you remain vigilant and take steps to protect against identity theft or fraud, including monitoring your accounts and free credit reports for signs of suspicious activity.

We also recommend that you visit the CafePress website at https://www.cafepress.com and log in to any online account you may have, which should prompt you to change your account password, if you have not done so recently. In general, you should always ensure that you are not using the same password across multiple accounts, and that you are using strong passwords that are not easy to guess.

For More Information

If you have any questions or concerns for CafePress, please contact: +1-844-386-9557 (United States) Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET or Saturday-Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET.

We are fully committed to protecting your information, and we deeply regret that this incident occurred.

Sincerely,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Jonny 290 posted:

cafepress owned

I'll bet you can get this printed on a t-shirt there.