Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the ballista guy was a huge pain in the rear end, too.

I did have a mastered Sniper--Ignatz--but he could only take down one at a time. No Excalibur mage, which I am very much regretting, so I had to rely on Claude, whose accuracy wasn't nearly as good as Ignatz's. Still made it through but I had a few nail biter turns along the way until the fire went off.

i had a rng-blessed annette, sniper ashe, sylvain with swift strikes, felix/byleth with grounder for finishers, hilda with her relic(and luckily not missing on 60%s), etc

so yeah i probably didn't have an issue because i had like a billion ways of dealing with them entirely by accident :v: though they did completely stall my advance for a long-rear end time because i had to figure out how to safely move forward without being owned by them and the ballista, i think i got a foothold by dimitri's +20% avoid kicking in and he just said gently caress it to every hit that turn

e: also siege weapons/tomes are going to be a Problem from here on out, so enjoy that(packing a Blessing or Impregnable gambit on someone really helps) though GD at least has it easier than BL on that front

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Are the month by month calendars for this game online anywhere? Google is failing me and I hate not being sure if I need to re-motivate people before the end of the month because it’s lecture first, or if I can go do more battles on the last free day.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean
you can check the calendar in the pause menu??

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

e: also siege weapons/tomes are going to be a Problem from here on out, so enjoy that(packing a Blessing or Impregnable gambit on someone really helps) though GD at least has it easier than BL on that front

Impregnable Wall has saved my rear end several times by now for sure. It's such a great gambit on Maddening. I think it's the only way I survived the first turn of Chapter 14, really. That and Fortress Knight Raphael being essentially immune to physical harm.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Augus posted:

I mean

You can't check the upcoming month though.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I didn't realize you could use a NG+ file from another difficulty to start a game on Maddening. :negative:

I may or may not have restarted my BE maddening game with a NG+2 file and made Byleth immediately have S+ ranks in swords, bow, and faith...

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Guys - how the hell do I defend Garreg Mach on Maddening? I legit feel completely overwhelmed - is this just a chapter you can’t bring casters into? Do you just have to bunker down at the back and... not move into the fray at all? Moving absolutely anyone to the east puts them in Death Knight town, a million archers to go after your fliers and some loving monsters thrown in for fun. This is the first chapter I kinda just feel at a loss as what I’m meant to do at all

VVVV: Aye, just that if I recall the mission doesn't actually end until you advance and defeat a general? There was another "defend Rhea" paralogue that counted down turns which I don't think this mission does

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 11, 2019

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

Guys - how the hell do I defend Garreg Mach on Maddening? I legit feel completely overwhelmed - is this just a chapter you can’t bring casters into? Do you just have to bunker down at the back and... not move into the fray at all? Moving absolutely anyone to the east puts them in Death Knight town, a million archers to go after your fliers and some loving monsters thrown in for fun. This is the first chapter I kinda just feel at a loss as what I’m meant to do at all

I would assume you treat it like it's actually a defence

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What’s the deal with the thieves in Claude’s paralogue? I can’t get all the way to the oasis before the one is killed by two Wyvern riders. Is there a good way to cheat this besides using warp and stride?

Edit: the items they drop aren’t even that good so it probably isn’t worth it. Like, woohoo a killer bow.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Augus posted:

I mean

Only the current month which is the problem.

I’m on the last free day in the month and I can either explore because everyone is at motivation 0 or I can do some fights and risk blowing a lecture day.

I need skills for class qualifications way more than XP right now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CaptainPsyko posted:

I’m on the last free day in the month and I can either explore because everyone is at motivation 0 or I can do some fights and risk blowing a lecture day.

I don’t think there’s ever a month where you have a lecture before your first free day.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Yinlock posted:

they're actually not that bad if you have a excalibur-caster or a mastered sniper

also the fire actually puts them in the rattled state when it goes off even though they're flying

the main challenge in that mission is the rear end in a top hat on the ballistia

Having an Excalibur caster is all fine, but it's only good for killing one person and they need someone else to bait it.

The hardest part for me was just after the onager, where like 10 guys jump on you at once, and the fact that the boss starts loving moving after you kill enough of his guys without warning!

The onager was a pain for it's 100% crit chance.

Calico Heart posted:

VVVV: Aye, just that if I recall the mission doesn't actually end until you advance and defeat a general? There was another "defend Rhea" paralogue that counted down turns which I don't think this mission does

Get your tankiest guys to bait people forward. Unlike Fates, Three Houses units will attack even if they have literally 0% chance to do 0 damage. Rally Defence and a steel/silver shield are helpful for that.

Also, batallions rattling soldiers so they can't move is a godsend. Mounted units can cruise in with Stride, rattle a bunch of dudes, then move back to safety.

What are your units like?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

CaptainPsyko posted:

There'll never be a lecture before the first free day of the month, and the end of month battle will help with motivation for that anyway. Fight away. Or seminar if you just want skills.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's definitely at least one month with an instruction day before your first free time, I just passed it recently on my current run. I think it was chapter 8, maybe?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Calico Heart posted:

I dunno, I lured the death knight over to Dedue who he proceeded to deal zero damage to twice, then one-shot him with Lysithea. The enemy does not get reinforcements that I can recall, so you can take your time sweeping through them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The game keeps talking about how snowy Faerghus is, but is there a single map that actually has snow on it?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh man I’m so glad I brought Flayn and Seteth to Claude’s paralogue. I wish I had brought them to Linhardt/Leonie’s too

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oh man I’m so glad I brought Flayn and Seteth to Claude’s paralogue. I wish I had brought them to Linhardt/Leonie’s too

I don't know about Seteth but Flayn has the exact same dialogue, Indech says something slightly different to Macuil but her lines are the exact same. "Oh wow haven't seen you in a while Ceth-" "Uncle, shut up!" "What the gently caress, Ceth-" "Uncle! Shh!"

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cattail Prophet posted:

There's definitely at least one month with an instruction day before your first free time, I just passed it recently on my current run. I think it was chapter 8, maybe?

I’m pretty sure there's one month with weekly activities (meaning the group task and the automatic progression toward goals) before the first free day, but not one where you actually get to do the manual instruction where motivation matters.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Fangz posted:

Given all the scifi implications, I imagine the darkness is hyperspace or something, where the dragons came from. Maybe the setting is basically Pern?

Fódlan is waaaay too gay to be Pern :v:

Jokes aside though that's a theory I'd be willing to buy, lord knows there's not much to say otherwise.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Cuntellectual posted:

The game keeps talking about how snowy Faerghus is, but is there a single map that actually has snow on it?

Listen, budget is hard.

I do like that all the characters from Faerghus show up after the time skip dressed for the cold weather. Although I guess that means Leicester must be Power Rangers land or something, given how they decided to style themselves...

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

nrook posted:

Although I guess that means Leicester must be Power Rangers land or something, given how they decided to style themselves...

It is exactly that awesome

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I thought my stupid Ferdinand was weak as poo poo but apparently he can class as a Brigand at level 10 with two points of Str extra. Edelgard and Bernie (?!) are probably messing with my averages, they have yet to miss a Str level up.

Also, should every non-mage go Brigand first until they master the class?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I thought my stupid Ferdinand was weak as poo poo but apparently he can class as a Brigand at level 10 with two points of Str extra. Edelgard and Bernie (?!) are probably messing with my averages, they have yet to miss a Str level up.

Brigand/pegasus knight yeah. Pegasus knight is less needed on lower difficulties, but it still makes, say, Bernie much more likely to double.

Also, if you go brigan you should give E+? to armour so you can get Armoured Knight certificate. They have base defence stat of 12, so that's a +5 or so for a lot of characters at level 10.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I actually beat the level on attempt three after getting destroyed completely my first two. It's interesting as I think of all my runs so far (this my fourth on BL Maddening) I've never played so defensively, essentially just picking units to use as bait and then immediately retreating them after they barely survived.

Maddening has been interesting. I think my biggest issue was that I used my high renown to recruit four students and kind of insisted on using them. In Maddening you're kinda hungry for XP, so I think the more units you actually use the more they all starve

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

video game be rushed

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

They're saving the snow maps for the new advance wars game they're definitely making

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I don't know if I'm going to be able to spare Seteth and Flayn on this run...

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't know if I'm going to be able to spare Seteth and Flayn on this run...

what problem are you having?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Junpei Hyde posted:

what problem are you having?

It's going to depend on how many troops I need to pull to deal with a certain post-plan ambush.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Yes. If you can, female physical fighters should also master Pegasus Knight for Darting Blow (+6 effective speed when initiating combat). Combined with the Brigand's Death Blow it's a pretty huge advantage. It's not critical on Normal or Hard--most good physical fighters will double often enough anyway--but it's definitely nice to have. (It's unbelievably good on Maddening.) Same goes for Death Blow: very good, nice advantage, but skipping it isn't the end of the world if a character is already turning out strong, except on Maddening where you need all the advantages you can get.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s good to master classes like Brigand and Pegasus Knight on a lot of your characters so you can buy those skills back on your NG+ Maddening run, of course. Plus you have a lot more leeway on Hard to mess around with different classes since you don’t have to focus as much on min-maxing.

I assume you can’t get both Deathblow and Darting Blow to trigger simultaneously, yeah? It prioritizes the one that’s higher on the ability list?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I assume you can’t get both Deathblow and Darting Blow to trigger simultaneously, yeah? It prioritizes the one that’s higher on the ability list?

You are incorrect.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zoran posted:

You are incorrect.

Really? You can have both??? That seems unfair.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Because few of the advanced class mastery skills are worth getting, there's not that much of an opportunity cost to going through two of Archer, Brigand, and Pegasus Knight from level 10 to level ~22, then picking up the third one by holding a knowledge gem and doing a stint in adjutancy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You mean Flayn could have fiendish blow and Darting Blow???

Flayn not being able to fly on a Pegasus while casting magic is just wrong tbh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You mean Flayn could have fiendish blow and Darting Blow???

Flayn not being able to fly on a Pegasus while casting magic is just wrong tbh

One of the DLC waves includes new promotion items and I have to wager there will be a flying magic class in there like malig knight.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Zoran posted:

Because few of the advanced class mastery skills are worth getting, there's not that much of an opportunity cost to going through two of Archer, Brigand, and Pegasus Knight from level 10 to level ~22, then picking up the third one by holding a knowledge gem and doing a stint in adjutancy.

Adjutants get class XP?

What is this madness?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Really? You can have both??? That seems unfair.

I mean they're both situational passive skills?

Why wouldn't they stack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Adjutants get class XP?

What is this madness?

And skill experience for their equipped weapon, plus armor/riding/flying if they’re in an appropriate class. The only thing you don’t gain as an adjutant is authority.