Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Am I the only one that can't unsee Van Gogh when Tim's wearing his straw hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SweetJahasus posted:

Do people really wake up in screaming fits from a bad dream?

Absolutely.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had a pretty gnarly nightmare last week that I woke up from yelling and really shaken. I was running a small fever and had some kind of bug, so like, it wasn't normal, but I doubt Survivors are feeling pretty "normal" when they sleep.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I know we didn't see any of Vince's return after his IoI visit, but he should have come back and painted a big old target on the swimmer lady since she lied about IoI.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Zesty posted:

Absolutely.

The Bloop posted:

Yes

Typically they are screaming IN the dream but it breaks into real life

STAC Goat posted:

I had a pretty gnarly nightmare last week that I woke up from yelling and really shaken.

This is so weird to me. Maybe I just have chillbro dreams :smugdog:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its definitely not something I usually do. Like I said, I was running a fever and sick which definitely had to have been the root of it and how much it affected me.

But I'm guessing people on Survivor run a lot of small fevers and work through a lot of little stomach bugs like I was, along with all the stress and paranoia weighing on their minds. Or like... just the dread of being bit by a rat while you're sleeping or something. As someone who has never slept outdoors a day of my life that always kind of freaks me out about the "If I played Survivor..." thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Binary Logic posted:

Demonstrating how to crawl on sand was kind of a waste of time and irrelevant to how she won twice. Shannon Gaitz was correct -they're not mentors, they're producers doing things to make an entertaining tv show.

I think the point was that they had to waste time anyway because it needed to be night time for his challenge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also the idea of having him sneak into the other camp was fun but also Rob and Sandra couldn't actually "teach" him anything about that so... lets have Sandra teach him boot camp stuff while Rob laughs.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
How do you not play your idol there?

How??

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the combination of Rob and Sandra puffing him up and how helpless and lost Karishma seemed just made him overconfident about what a good game he was playing.

Which is crazy since he was one of the names being thrown out there for the first eviction less than a week earlier. But I guess that vote flip/blindside and the guys coming to him kind of desperate just contributed to his overconfidence.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
They didn't really show us the build up to the blindside

i.e The girls flipping on the all female alliance.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

first eviction

gross Big Brother watcher spotted

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

I agree with everything else in the post except this word

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

The only episode I ever watched was one of the ones with Omarosa

Morbid curiosity satisfied.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I do that all the time. I actually caught myself on "a week ago" but missed the "eviction."

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I think the combination of Rob and Sandra puffing him up and how helpless and lost Karishma seemed just made him overconfident about what a good game he was playing.

Which is crazy since he was one of the names being thrown out there for the first eviction less than a week earlier. But I guess that vote flip/blindside and the guys coming to him kind of desperate just contributed to his overconfidence.

Yeah.

It’s just wild. Fresh back from your trip to Suspicion Island with an idol that has a half life of two tribal councils, but you don’t use it. Really needs to be emphasized as one of the worst moves in recent Survivor history. What (non-)moves have been worse over the past few seasons? I’m honestly drawing a blank.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SweetJahasus posted:

Can we talk about how insane this was? Do people really wake up in screaming fits from a bad dream?

Every time I am dating someone I found out all sorts of insane poo poo I apparently do in my sleep. Like, I know I sleep talk like a motherfucker but apparently I'll also hum or sing loud tunes, shout weird nonsense, or ask questions or hold senseless conversations.I used to sleepwalk after a specific recurring nightmare as a kid but I don't think I do anymore or there just isn't usually someone around to witness or snap me awake, which is good because being woken up from them always makes me wake up hella anxious and trouble falling back asleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YGQHB2m2z8

These big heads look strange closer up. I kind of thought it was all wood at first, but it looks like Sandra's hair is made up of tarps pinned and painted to be the same brown colour as the rest. I'm curious what they are made of and hope there's a making of video at some point. Erecting massive wooden sculptures can't be cost effective and presumably they aren't allowed to leave them there, which is a shame. There are certainly worse monuments standing the test of time in the world than a couple of popular survivor winners.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I just was able to watch the episode, so forgive me if this was answered in some interview or something, but what do we think Karishma whispered to the women right before the vote?

I'm torn between it being some sort of bullshit nonsense, or some sort of assurance on her part that she worked Vince over hard which is why he didn't play the idol, because that's the only explanation I can think of as to why he'd sit on it.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Aerox posted:

I just was able to watch the episode, so forgive me if this was answered in some interview or something, but what do we think Karishma whispered to the women right before the vote?

I'm torn between it being some sort of bullshit nonsense, or some sort of assurance on her part that she worked Vince over hard which is why he didn't play the idol, because that's the only explanation I can think of as to why he'd sit on it.

I thought this was weird too with how the vote went down. It seemed to really trip out Tom too.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Aerox posted:

My guess is that she was going to vote Tom but whispered to them that she changed her mind to vote out Vince, so she was still with the 'sorority'.

However this contradicts an earlier scene. When Vince was asking her who she wanted to vote off she wouldn't give him an answer, which I thought was because her actual answer was, "You".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

Yeah.

It’s just wild. Fresh back from your trip to Suspicion Island with an idol that has a half life of two tribal councils, but you don’t use it. Really needs to be emphasized as one of the worst moves in recent Survivor history. What (non-)moves have been worse over the past few seasons? I’m honestly drawing a blank.

Full life of two, half life was one. I can't imagine not busting it out first chance when you might not even get the opportunity again, unless you were going to bluff with it down the line (which Vince never indicated was a plan in his exit interview that I saw)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Vernacular posted:

Yeah.

Like have you already forgotten how everyone tripped over themselves to let whatshisface win last season?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I really think the best strategy is to just come back and say, yeah, you can get an idol on the island, I got one, I'm playing it tonight, the end. No one is going to believe whatever bullshit you come up with anyway

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rob asked Vince if he could tell the truth to the other players about Island of the Idols. "I'm not allowed to answer that."

Speaks volumes.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Does anyone else stream from CBS? I’m trying to figure out if their service is choppy and jittery or if it’s my 6 year old HTPC.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bigass Moth posted:

Does anyone else stream from CBS? I’m trying to figure out if their service is choppy and jittery or if it’s my 6 year old HTPC.

Their streaming is hot garbage

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Aerox posted:

Just speculation on my part but I suspect Karishma was just conferring with the Lairo women to make sure they all thought Vince wasn't playing the idol. If Vince was going to play it, Karishma knows her neck is on the line (and presumably the Lairo women reassured her that she'd be fine and Vince wasn't playing anything), so it makes sense she'd want to check in to make sure none of that had updated info and/or a different read on Vince since before Tribal.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Full life of two, half life was one. I can't imagine not busting it out first chance when you might not even get the opportunity again, unless you were going to bluff with it down the line (which Vince never indicated was a plan in his exit interview that I saw)

Ha, I meant to say "shelf life".

Lone Goat posted:

Like have you already forgotten how everyone tripped over themselves to let whatshisface win last season?

I'm thinking more about single, atomized moves/non-moves, and I'm not sure what exactly you'd be referring to in that regard.

Besides, what I remember more about last season was Chris coming back basically in the ideal situation for his game: everybody tripping over themselves to prevent Devens from winning, and Devens having no choice but to work with Chris.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It didn't hurt Chris that Gavin was a wishy-washy loaf of wonderbread afraid to own his game at the end.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Vernacular posted:

I'm thinking more about single, atomized moves/non-moves, and I'm not sure what exactly you'd be referring to in that regard.

Besides, what I remember more about last season was Chris coming back basically in the ideal situation for his game: everybody tripping over themselves to prevent Devens from winning, and Devens having no choice but to work with Chris.

Devens could have withheld the half-idol, let chris get voted out at 5, and moonwalked to the million.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, as much as people gave production flak for the given idol, it was still on Rick to give it back.

IoI feels more 'hand of production' though. There's no direct interference, but we don't actually see any of the names being physically drawn out of the bag, and it's strongly implied that the people who go can't/aren't allowed to tell the people back at camp about it. At least with the EoE challenges the producers can't actually make someone win/lose.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I don't know what part of having to win immunity at F4 or otherwise win a fire-making challenge screams "moonwalk" but okay.

Also, Chris' decision to give up immunity and take on Devens in fire-making was unprecedented (as well as baller as gently caress). The chances of a Rick vs. Chris fire-making scenario were quite low, and I think that must've gone into Rick's F5 calculus.

And that's all not to mention that Lauren was arguably a bigger threat than Chris when she got voted out.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 12, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zesty posted:

Rob asked Vince if he could tell the truth to the other players about Island of the Idols. "I'm not allowed to answer that."

Speaks volumes.

That's so weird

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Vernacular posted:

I don't know what part of having to win immunity at F4 or otherwise win a fire-making challenge screams "moonwalk" but okay.

The part where all the non-Chris contestants at that point were pretty incompetent. With Chris out at 5, Devens has an incredibly easy route to FTC since he has to win either of the last immunity of fire making, and he's very capable if both.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Holy poo poo my Amazon (s6) watch is equal parts cringing and enjoying. But my god is it sexist. The tribes are split by gender - fine. Jeff frequently calls everybody 'guys', fine. But then they do a challenge where they have to interact heaps - no way back up. On their first tribal, the guys mostly talk about which chicks they want to get. Ugh. OK. And then there is this challenge in e03 where they talk to the women and they are so SO piggish and intense. And then after it there is this weird dream like dating show sequence um I'll just show you

In which they assess the girls again. "She has a great butt" etc. followed by banter at the camp like "let me wash your bosom"

What the gently caress survivor. 2003 sure was a different time.

Can't wait for the episode where the girls go topless during a challenge.
e: on a lighter note, I love that this season goes oddly hard with the sound design. Like the camera will be underwater while the contestants are talking and they'll put a 'underwater glug glug' filter over their conversation.
or they'll edit together a bunch of camp building noises (chopping, lighting flint, etc) and turn it into a song.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 13, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’m still working on that season. It’s extraordinarily bad. I must only be halfway in.

I kind of liked the challenge with the giant hunk of meat though. But even that was sexualized.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

I kind of liked the challenge with the giant hunk of meat though. But even that was sexualized.

They brought it back for South Pacific and it was amazingly gross. People actually hurt their teeth and jaws from that challenge.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

What the gently caress survivor. 2003 sure was a different time.
Society was closer to acceptably calling women "broads" back then and that was only 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Literally all of that stuff is designed to be making fun of the men and what idiots they are, if it's not obvious