Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I really hope that the PUC just murders them with another round of fines for negligence.

That's a fight that we need to be able to similarly sue telecoms for not upgrading or upkeeping their networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I really hope that the PUC just murders them with another round of fines for negligence.

That's a fight that we need to be able to similarly sue telecoms for not upgrading or upkeeping their networks.

that's true for telecoms, but in this case gently caress fines - they legitimately need to pull their corporate charter and/or seize the company/it's assets via eminent domain

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
in a completely unexpected twist literally nobody at all could have seen coming, this bold move by pg&e managed to avoid killing people

for a whole twelve minutes.

"No it totally wasnt our fault this person died desperately trying to reach his backup equipment he just happened to have, um, excited delerium."

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
although i blame the FDA and the medical company because it's utterly loving insane that they considered it reasonable to expect people to try to swap out medical equipment in the dark so the battery operated unit he had wasn't rated for full-time use or something stupid like that, meaning he had to use the wall-power-no-backup unit most of the time.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
you can spend months getting SCUBA certified for less complicated procedures by able bodied people and they still fuckup and die getting their spare online in an emergency - but you expect someone extremely ill and weak to be able to do it in the goddamned dark after being (hopefully) woken up.

Even if the lack of oxygen didn't kill him it was the stress of the situation that did.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

LGD posted:

that's true for telecoms, but in this case gently caress fines - they legitimately need to pull their corporate charter and/or seize the company/it's assets via eminent domain

Well, PG&E declined SF's (admittedly lowball) offer to buy out their infrastructure, I'm hoping another round of fines will push them into selling off assets.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harik posted:

in a completely unexpected twist literally nobody at all could have seen coming, this bold move by pg&e managed to avoid killing people

for a whole twelve minutes.

"No it totally wasnt our fault this person died desperately trying to reach his backup equipment he just happened to have, um, excited delerium."

the page about the public safety shutdowns has a section on 'what if I'm on medical equipment' and it basically boils down to 'get hosed' because they claim to not have fine control over the power network and that you should already have an emergency plan anyway so just do that lol.

I'd like to point out that the outage covered like 70% of the state but it wasnt like, say, the central valley where wind fire danger was the greatest, or the bay area where housing density could also cause extreme fire danger... it was literally all the poor rural towns because they don't have enough political power to effectively complain lol. idk what other reason marin and napa had power but it was shut off just outside the rich people spots

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
PG&E's assets are seized, everyone fired.

No one knows how to run a power grid.

Everyone from PG&E is hired back to run state-owned power company.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Equip them with Fallout slave collars modified to shock them instead of exploding, baby you got a stew goin'.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like most big private infrastructure companies the workers are mostly fine and its upper management doing epic frat boy poo poo by snorting up the big rear end subsidy check from daddy instead of using it on rent (ie maintenance). it's so cool that the state funds a giant chunk of their budget and then they also get to charge rates so they pull a profit. pg&e is literally the worst possible medium between a private company and a public operation lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

well PG&E demonstrably doesn't know how to run a power grid either, and firing everyone is obviously incredibly stupid because it's not line workers or engineers fault that PG&E's executive management decided to defer all maintenance forever

you do absolutely purge everyone above a certain level

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, PG&E declined SF's (admittedly lowball) offer to buy out their infrastructure, I'm hoping another round of fines will push them into selling off assets.

gently caress buying them out

take it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bulgakov posted:

take it
Off their still-warm corpses. They died through absolutely no intent or action on our part, ergo this is not a joke about violence or threat of violence or incitement to violence.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Mar 23, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dominoes did it first.

They had to discontinue “fifteen minutes or it’s free” due to wrongful deaths.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

take it

if you're not replacing/amending the constitution you still need to pay off the owners of any seized assets eventually

though note that in this case that's a corporation that now has no assets/real property within the state and (in an ideal world) can no longer operate as a business at all without incurring personal liability + has huge liabilities via the imposition of fines actually commensurate with the amount of damage caused via deliberate negligence

(unlikely any of this poo poo will happen of course, but it could if people had the political will)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Dominoes did it first.

They had to discontinue “fifteen minutes or it’s free” due to wrongful deaths.

i loving love when an old person calls my store and is like WHATEVER HAPPENED TO 15 MINUTES OR IT FREE and I get to explain how it's literally illegal and also the food was super unsafe back then and if they want salmonella that bad they can just cook their own food unsafely

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

like most big private infrastructure companies the workers are mostly fine and its upper management doing epic frat boy poo poo by snorting up the big rear end subsidy check from daddy instead of using it on rent (ie maintenance). it's so cool that the state funds a giant chunk of their budget and then they also get to charge rates so they pull a profit. pg&e is literally the worst possible medium between a private company and a public operation lol

Yeah it's basically a subsidized for profit company.

PG&E also did aggressive lobbying to prevent local towns from being able to start their own muni utilities through a referendum.

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah that's the epic part of the grid shutdown. Downed lines sparked the fire in Paradise because PG&E deferred maintenance, and rather than admit fault they're just gonna keep deferring maintenance and cut power during windstorms so they cant be blamed easily. They're supposed to check trees within falling distance of the lines, not just ones that might grow in the way, but guess what they dont pay ACRT, Davey, and Mountain Firewood among others to do

Yeah the real cause is PG&E deliberately didn't spend money to inspect and maintain their equipment while giving bonuses to upper management & paying a few hundred million dollars for a dividend program.

etalian has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Oct 12, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/lrvick/status/1182823213736161280

https://twitter.com/lrvick/status/1182828968124137474

jeesus christ lol we've totally wired global society into a nightmarish panopticon

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/SarahNEmerson/status/1182764742588256256?s=20
https://twitter.com/SarahNEmerson/status/1182750736754470912?s=20

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It can't possibly be worth it to do that. Most of your customers are either hosed up, hung over or otherwise apathetic enough to not care about what they eat. Beyond pure hell world purposes how is it worth the cost to develop algorithms and cameras to make sure your minimum wage employees put the correct number of meat-like product cubes on the lovely pizza they're making?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The cruelty is the point. There's no efficiency, it is all cruelty, all the time.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

bloom posted:

It can't possibly be worth it to do that. Most of your customers are either hosed up, hung over or otherwise apathetic enough to not care about what they eat. Beyond pure hell world purposes how is it worth the cost to develop algorithms and cameras to make sure your minimum wage employees put the correct number of meat-like product cubes on the lovely pizza they're making?

a VP got a 40k bonus for pitching it over a $800 executive dinner meeting so the system is working.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

bloom posted:

domino's pizza was founded by a right-wing anti-abortion religious maniac who wanted to set up a theocratic fiefdom in Florida. He sold 93% of the company to Bain Capital in the late 90s and it's pretty much a taylorist petri dish at this point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fines and asset seizures are one thing, but until you start giving jail time to people responsible, things like that will keep happening.

Like if one person killed a couple people through negligence, that would land them jail time, but since a few people did it, nothing can be done.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

etalian posted:

Yeah it's basically a subsidized for profit company.

PG&E also did aggressive lobbying to prevent local towns from being able to start their own muni utilities through a referendum.

Yeah the real cause is PG&E deliberately didn't spend money to inspect and maintain their equipment while giving bonuses to upper management & paying a few hundred million dollars for a dividend program.

"a few hundred million" is a real strange way to spell FOURTEEN BILLION in dividends and stock buybacks.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

sincx posted:

Our reality is a really, really lovely low-budget rip off of Snow Crash

i'm just waiting on the ability to get stickers that atomically bond with the material you slap them on. one day i'll finally see that glorious late-night informercial showing a half-peeled bumper sticker filmed in black and white and know the future is finally here.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

This, meanwhile, is genuinely a clever answer. Now I have a feeling it would mix with catsitting pretty badly, as well as possibly cause problems with the train tracks near the house, but those are problems I could probably work around.

You could also (I assume) get red rope lights plugged in to a light sensor or a timer. Always-on red light might be less disruptive than a cat rave. :catdrugs:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I've a dystopia tale to share. I got the Weather Timeline app awhile ago 'cause it's cute and neat and had a couple sources of weather data to choose from. Why the gently caress are none of them The National Weather Service or NOAA? Who knows.
Fast forward to the start of this year and it's been dropped from the Play Store and there is one source, My Radar they call themselves. Fine. Except my forecast in Weather Timeline says it's raining right now, as I watch fat loving snowflakes tumbling down outside. I download the My Radar app and surprise surprise, it's completwly accurate?
So either My Radar is intentionally feeding Weather Timeline users (who paid for the app in the first place) bad data or it's not using My Radar and some fucker who's never heard of the U.S. is just loving guessing what the weather is in any given location and there is no option to force Weather Timeline to use the actual My Radar data.

Edit: Good lord! Look at the free market go! It's so efficient that there's almost a dozen entirely redundant services, in a range of accuracies!
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/25/this-weather-app-will-give-you-the-most-accurate-forecasts.html

Tubgoat has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Oct 12, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tubgoat posted:

I've a dystopia tale to share. I got the Weather Timeline app awhile ago 'cause it's cute and neat and had a couple sources of weather data to choose from. Why the gently caress are none of them The National Weather Service or NOAA? Who knows.
Fast forward to the start of this year and it's been dropped from the Play Store and there is one source, My Radar they call themselves. Fine. Except my forecast in Weather Timeline says it's raining right now, as I watch fat loving snowflakes tumbling down outside. I download the My Radar app and surprise surprise, it's completwly accurate?
So either My Radar is intentionally feeding Weather Timeline users (who paid for the app in the first place) bad data or it's not using My Radar and some fucker who's never heard of the U.S. is just loving guessing what the weather is in any given location and there is no option to force Weather Timeline to use the actual My Radar data.

Edit: Good lord! Look at the free market go! It's so efficient that there's almost a dozen entirely redundant services, in a range of accuracies!
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/25/this-weather-app-will-give-you-the-most-accurate-forecasts.html

That's because Weather Timeline was built specifically to use the Dark Sky API which then became too expensive for the developer since it's an ongoing cost on an app paid for once and he sold it to a shady weather provider who removed all data sources from the app except their own. As for the discrepancy between one and the other who knows.

Just use Dark Sky and be done with it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LastInLine posted:

That's because Weather Timeline was built specifically to use the Dark Sky API which then became too expensive for the developer since it's an ongoing cost on an app paid for once and he sold it to a shady weather provider who removed all data sources from the app except their own. As for the discrepancy between one and the other who knows.

Just use Dark Sky and be done with it.

Weak.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
greetings, dominos local management employee here. thankfully thats 'only' a trial program in AZ/NZ at the moment but theres also a new program slowly rolling out where you either use an app or a provided phone on all deliveries, which shows the customer where you are on the delivery. its billed as reassuring the customer and reducing 'wheres my poo poo calls' since the current tracker is the most useless pos possible, but most employees I've heard talk about it on Reddit are rightfully worried it's going to be used to gently caress them on milage pay when you go around traffic and stuff. If I took my deliveries the way the store map wants me to, our delivery times would be in the loving dumpster because we're in a tourist town without freeway infrastructure. you either take the long way and save 10 minutes or you get there 30 minutes late.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Papa John's in Atlanta rolled out a tracker drivers had to put in their car.

They fired their best drivers for speeding and their worst drivers for taking detours to smoke up at a friends house on the way back to the store.

The rest of the drivers quit and they stopped using it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Papa John's in Atlanta rolled out a tracker drivers had to put in their car.

They fired their best drivers for speeding and their worst drivers for taking detours to smoke up at a friends house on the way back to the store.

The rest of the drivers quit and they stopped using it.

lol i just saw a commercial for this poo poo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"I know what will redeem us in the eyes of the public after the n word thing!"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
luckily since im a manager I can just refuse to drive because it's technically not my job anymore but if it gets rolled out to my market area I know a good half of my drivers will quit outright lol. were already desperately undermanned because it turns out that most people are capable of doing math and realizing that the tips pretty much average out your maintenance costs to being the same as minimum wage without tips

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1182779472115916801?s=19

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Dear Christ, of course Japan. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Of course it's Japan, their idols' eyes have more surface area to produce better reflections.

Seriously, it's like looking into a goddamn TV screen.