Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Ershalim posted:

I mean, is there reason to think that they'll aggressively attack the Turkish forces instead of abandoning the area entirely? It's vague as poo poo what the plan is, but the guideline seems to be a full withdrawal, with the Turkish incursion being intended to expedite that. Do you think there's a reason to assume that the relatively small force stationed there would attack Turkey (edit:) rather than just gently caress off and leave?

Uhh shooting at USSF tends to get u killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1182873546688815104

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
James Comey Would Like to Help https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/12/us/politics/james-comey-trump.html

Buddy, you've helped enough.

WaPo posted:

Mr. Comey has conceded that he may have allowed himself to be influenced subconsciously by the political consensus that Mrs. Clinton would win. But he has betrayed no major regrets, defending his chosen course as the best among bad options. “I wish like hell we hadn’t been involved,” he said. He predicted that history would judge him kindly for prizing disclosure over concealment (not, as some Clinton allies see it, opting for spectacle over discretion).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ershalim posted:

I mean, is there reason to think that they'll aggressively attack the Turkish forces instead of abandoning the area entirely? It's vague as poo poo what the plan is, but the guideline seems to be a full withdrawal, with the Turkish incursion being intended to expedite that. Do you think there's a reason to assume that the relatively small force stationed there would attack Turkey (edit:) rather than just gently caress off and leave?

If you're in a position and the enemy shoots at you, it's often much more dangerous to leave your entrenchments than it is to dig in and shoot back.

Plus Turkey keeps denying doing it, so logically whoever is shooting at us is in fact fair game if we take them at their word. Whoops.

E: a plurality of officers disapproved of Trump in polls all the way back to 2017 or some poo poo, it's not wall to wall chuds like some people here assume.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 12, 2019

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

When Pelosi (attempts) to dunk on you, just give up and find a different industry

Let’s be honest the biggest dunk on Jacob Wohl is pointing out he is Jacob Wohl. There isn’t anything worse than that

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

sean10mm posted:

If you're in a position and the enemy shoots at you, it's often much more dangerous to leave your entrenchments than it is to dig in and shoot back.

Plus Turkey keeps denying doing it, so logically whoever is shooting at us is in fact fair game if we take them at their word. Whoops.

E: a plurality of officers disapproved of Trump in polls all the way back to 2017 or some poo poo, it's not wall to wall chuds like some people here assume.

Oh yeah, the armed forces are a mixed bag politically. I don't really understand the logistics behind the military so I was being serious. My experiences have all been with MSF, so whenever something like that would happen (where the area became much more unpredictably dangerous) everyone got shuttled out of there in a hurry, including any armed support. I guess I was just thinking since Trump all but declared the area to be Turkey's new genocide playground that the withdrawal from the Northern Territory was an ongoing thing.

If leaving the entrenched position is dangerous and the CIC demands a withdrawal anyway, can the field officers just ignore the order?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ershalim posted:

My experiences have all been with MSF, so whenever something like that would happen (where the area became much more unpredictably dangerous) everyone got shuttled out of there in a hurry, including any armed support. I guess I was just thinking since Trump all but declared the area to be Turkey's new genocide playground that the withdrawal from the Northern Territory was an ongoing thing.

I think this would probably have been true if the military had been involved in planning it in advance. From what I've heard, what actually happened was that Trump had a phone call with Erdogan in which Erdogan got him to announce that the US would be pulling out and leave Turkey to do as they please in the area, and then Erdogan immediately sent his army in before anyone could have a chance to change Trump's mind about it, while the US forces on the ground were probably just wondering why the turks were bumrushing the border all of the sudden.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pkay posted:

Uhh shooting at USSF tends to get u killed?

Oh poo poo I must have missed that. How many Turkish forces were killed after they shelled that base?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ershalim posted:

If leaving the entrenched position is dangerous and the CIC demands a withdrawal anyway, can the field officers just ignore the order?

I am not military, but it seems to me that safety of those under my command would be of paramount consideration when executing such an order.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Sometimes, the distinction between following given orders and rules of engagement /vs/ outright mutiny is made afterwards. If I was a green beret officer in n. Syria right know, I'd be very aware that that declination is still up in the air.

They dont want to leave and they dont want the kurds to get murdered by turkish soldiers, but no one wants to create a mutiny against the federal loving government of the united states either.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

PainterofCrap posted:

I am not military, but it seems to me that safety of those under my command would be of paramount consideration when executing such an order.

Part of the Creed of the Noncommissioned Officer actually deals with this:

Two things will remain uppermost in my mind: accomplishment of my mission, and the welfare of my Soldiers.

You think about the goal and objective first, then factor in the need to keep your troops alive. For a situation like this, though, being knowingly fired upon by a friendly force, that is some uncharted ground.

If you stand by, you technically accomplish the mission by not intervening, but your Soldiers are at risk. If you fire back, then you escalate into a full-blown war and that puts your Soldiers at risk. And for the training and expertise of our SOF folks, a thousand trainers armed with rifles and light mobility vehicles don't stand a good chance against tank and air superiority.

Pulling out means your allies die. Staying puts you in the crossfire. And striking back runs the risk of being disavowed, or starting a full-out war with an ostensible ally.

Trump has screwed the pooch on this one, and there aren't a lot of easy answers to what comes next. Stay safe, guys.

(Fair warning: I am an NCO and not a strategic-level officer, so I don't have the full operating picture or any info that you all already have. Also, goes without saying, stated above are my personal opinions and are not indicative of the views or policies of the US Army.)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Don’t worry folks, I’m sure Donald Trump has enough political acumen to see us through a skirmish between two NATO allies.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Rabble posted:

Don’t worry folks, I’m sure Donald Trump has enough political acumen to see us through a skirmish between two NATO allies.

Where one of them is the sole principle member of NATO. There's a rather significant real world difference between shooting at a soldier from a 'regular' treaty country, and one from the USA.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rabble posted:

Neither of which he cares about.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I was in the Marines between the Gulf Wars and I remember being told that, after the war, there was a rich Kuwati who offered to pay every serviceman a bonus for helping to free his country from Iraq, and that Bush 41 refused because we weren't supposed to be mercenaries.

I was a stupid young boot when I heard all that so who knows how true it is.

I was in during the first Gulf War, this was definitely a thing reported in the news I remember HW saying specifically that US troops were not mercenaries in response when he turned the offer down and I also remember laughing at the idea since we all knew damned well that he would profit from the war, see Carlyle Group.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So 4(??!) clients or associates of Guliani got arrested yesterday, and another one is in jail in Vienna awaiting extradition.

Is there a betting pool for when he gets arrested?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Comstar posted:

So 4(??!) clients or associates of Guliani got arrested yesterday, and another one is in jail in Vienna awaiting extradition.

Wait, is this more of them or has the Crime Dilation finally gotten to me?

It can't possibly have been only one day? :psyduck:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 12, 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

J.A.B.C. posted:

(Fair warning: I am an NCO and not a strategic-level officer, so I don't have the full operating picture or any info that you all already have. Also, goes without saying, stated above are my personal opinions and are not indicative of the views or policies of the US Army.)
Your name being an acronym is now put into context.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wait, is this more of them or as the Crime Dilation finally gotten to me?

It can't possibly have been only one day? :psyduck:

2 were fleeing to Vienna. One is under arrest already IN Vienna. The 4th one was arrested in LA. I think there might be a 5th one?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I keep thinking of Crime Dilation as what occurs during Crime Labor, just before the birth of a brand new baby Crime.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/DNCWarRoom/status/1183014637568253953

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

What a guilty loving look this guy has.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Comstar posted:

Got a link?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This is crazy

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1183016229545631746

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Shep Smith resigned?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...7b37_story.html

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

evilweasel posted:

Got a link?

There was a reddit /politics thread detailing all of it...which I now cannot find :(

The guy in LA was new but I can't find the news article about it either.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183016899589955584

He took a prisoner off base to kill him, buried him, dug up the body and then burned him. He lied about it for years until he admitted it on Fox News. They're trying to argue it was just normal killing of enemy combatants. :allears:

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

Basically this scene from Succession: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGYjif4P16s&t=142s

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Crime Dilation

:perfect:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Phoix posted:

He took a prisoner off base to kill him, buried him, dug up the body and then burned him. He lied about it for years until he admitted it on Fox News. They're trying to argue it was just normal killing of enemy combatants. :allears:

His loving view of war is an edgy psychopathic child. Just" the military are just killing machines" take is god drat insane and twisted, and dehumanizing

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EI-TIUycqk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phoix posted:

So I want to understand correctly here.

Donald Trump is saying it is impossible for soldiers to murder anyone?

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

ImpAtom posted:

No, I think he's saying they're the best at murder, just really great at it, guys, so what's the big deal when they do murders? That's what they're supposed to do!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. He holds the same view that a lot of the country does, namely that the US cannot be meaningfully be made to suffer consequences for it's actions, and therefore, the US can do no wrong. If we don't punish the soldier, nobody else can, and therefore, we won't and this will make the soldier's actions ok. It's purely a bullying mindset where the only wrong action is one which is punished by an external power. If no power is willing or able to punish that action, it wasn't wrong.

This is why he still refuses to pay his bills. Nobody can meaningfully make him or make him suffer consequences for it.

E: to be clear he's saying it's impossible for US soldiers to murder foreigners, who are lesser than.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's a huge step backwards from rule of law to right makes right

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Comstar posted:

Comstar posted:

2 were fleeing to Vienna. One is under arrest already IN Vienna. The 4th one was arrested in LA. I think there might be a 5th one?

yeah I think you may be conflating the various stories: the indictment names Lev Parnas, Igor Furman, David Correia, and Andrey Kukushkin. Parnas and Furman were arrested a couple days ago in Virginia trying to leave the country, Kukushkin got arrested yesterday in San Francisco, and Correia is still at large.

Separately, their Ukrainian oligarch patron, Dmytro Firtash, has been indicted under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act by a Chicago grand jury for unrelated corruption, and is stuck in Vienna while he appeals the Austrian judgment that would extradite him to the United States to face trial. Firtash appears to be some of the money behind the Trump-Ukraine conspiracy, but he is (as of right now) not indicted for anything connected to it.

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 12, 2019

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ImpAtom posted:

"We train our surgeons to cut into people, then prosecute them when they dismember hitchhikers!"

"We train boxers to punch people, then prosecute them when they beat their wives!"

"We train NASCAR drivers to go fast, then prosecute them when they do 90 in the Walmart parking lot!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If she'd used a real gun she could have avoided charges

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Well after all those female mass shooters, you see, everyone is concerned about the behavior of girls in school. After all, it's not like it's exclusively straight white males doing these shootings or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

empty whippet box posted:

Well after all those female mass shooters, you see, everyone is concerned about the behavior of girls in school. After all, it's not like it's exclusively straight white males doing these shootings or anything.

Wasn't one of the STEM shooters female? Or was that a different one?

Either way it's a complete overreaction and a great example of the school to prison pipeline. Girl should have been talked to by the principal and maybe sent home for the day.