Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

a neurotic ai posted:

same with British people to be fair, except replace ‘food’ with ‘tasteless muck’.

don’t talk poo poo about chicken cottage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

redleader posted:

if we examine the skull of the average mediterranean person, we can see that they are inherently dispositioned towards certain types and flavours of food,

Of all the "actually nu-uh our food isn't terrible" posts I've seen Brits make, this might be the most embarrassing.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
imagine four brexits on the edge of a cliff

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Grape posted:

Of all the "actually nu-uh our food isn't terrible" posts I've seen Brits make, this might be the most embarrassing.

you don't need to resort to a loving absurd take like "it's their spicy languages that make southern european food good" to criticise british food

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Noodles came from China and tomatoes from America, so I have to assume for several centuries Italian food was just like, eggplant stew and olive oil

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
the best reason to visit Germany is for their legendary sense of humour.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Noodles came from China and tomatoes from America, so I have to assume for several centuries Italian food was just like, eggplant stew and olive oil

Fish

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

redleader posted:

if we examine the skull of the average mediterranean person, we can see that they are inherently dispositioned towards certain types and flavours of food,

ok, Mr. Thomas-Jefferson's-Creepy-Diary-Entries-About-Blacks-Being-Built-Better-For-Labour, thank you for that

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Morter posted:

imagine four brexits on the edge of a cliff

if you like the taste of brexit wait until you boobs try "brunch"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

what the gently caress is unch

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
At the end of British Goodfellas, Henry Hill complains about ordering spotted dock and getting something not made out of suet.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

you hosed it mate

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

the best reason to visit Germany is for their legendary sense of humour.

yes, I am aware of this long-running bit named "Brexit"

it's a real hoot! :roflolmao:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Gripweed posted:

IIRC the Romans liked oysters, fried mice, flamingo tongues, and whole roast eel

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I mean, this isn't a bad idea. Sometimes old el paso mild is just way too spicy and will keep you up half the night.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Jose posted:

Did that Sainsbury's event cause PTSD or has posting on sa inured your brain to stuff like that?

No it actually hosed me up a bit and I still think about that kids face when I'm cooking with mince (I am not making a joke)

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Gripweed posted:

Still better than Bristish cuisine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSP7PtctC4&t=116s

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gripweed posted:

They went absolutely loving bonkers for garum which is basically a bunch of fish squeezed til it's liquid then fermented.
Kosher garum was considered very fancy stuff
It was probably pretty great tbh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Brexit no Pico

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Didn't they lose the knowledge of how to make garum long before tomatoes came into use. Hell they thought tomatoes were poisonous for a while and used them as decoration

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What are you all dressing up as for Brexitween? It's only 19 days away.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Hentai Jihadist posted:

They went absolutely loving bonkers for garum which is basically a bunch of fish squeezed til it's liquid then fermented.
Kosher garum was considered very fancy stuff
It was probably pretty great tbh.

Worcester sauce is supposed to be similar, apparently

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jel Shaker posted:

Worcester sauce is supposed to be similar, apparently

there's a fish paste popular in parts of east asia that's supposedly very close.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Loads of chickpeas, broad beans, wheat and barley, too.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CoolCab posted:

there's a fish paste popular in parts of east asia that's supposedly very close.

i assume fish sauce is pretty similar, basically the thai version of soy sauce in that its in basically all thai recipes i've made
my former flatmates and current partner hate the smell but i love the stuff

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Apparently kale is one of the few indigenous vegetables in the UK. Almost everything else came with the Romans

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

kale broccoli cauliflower kohlrabi collard greens and brussel sprouts are all cultivars of the same plant. the more you know

e: oh and cabbage of course

oddium has issued a correction as of 12:58 on Oct 12, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Jose posted:

Apparently kale is one of the few indigenous vegetables in the UK. Almost everything else came with the Romans

Once Brexit is achieved, it will once again be possible to see people enjoying the traditional pre-Roman British diet of nettle soup and roasted acorns

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

aahhh!!ddium posted:

kale broccoli cauliflower kohlrabi collard greens and brussel sprouts are all cultivars of the same plant. the more you know

I made a big post about that once

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i cant decide between mr bean, delboy trotter, and james may. all solid picks for the traditional brexitween wacky races i think

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

aahhh!!ddium posted:

e: oh and cabbage of course

And they are all very good!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

twoday posted:

Once Brexit is achieved, it will once again be possible to see people enjoying the traditional pre-Roman British diet of nettle soup and roasted acorns

what about grubs and eels

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

when brexit happens black rod knocks 5 times on the door of the topgear caravan and jezza clarkson, jezza hammond, and jezza may all come out and get in their homemade brexitmobiles and drive them across the channel to calais and deploy sarin gas

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I remember that post! It is a good post.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

I'll literally be doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6089Z_NgPk

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Drunkboxer posted:

what about grubs and eels

hey, hey, don't knock eels till you try them

then knock the gently caress out of them

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ah right, 800 years of rule, no strategic or economic value for the last 500 and NOW we are a burden

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

lol i read the article comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

punchymcpunch posted:

when brexit happens black rod knocks 5 times on the door of the topgear caravan and jezza clarkson, jezza hammond, and jezza may all come out and get in their homemade brexitmobiles and drive them across the channel to calais and deploy sarin gas

top gear guys all coming out for remain was the biggest twist of the brexit campaign