Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Keetron posted:

I had fun making this!

Also I wish we would have this much activity in the thread more often, even if it was only half.

That's a nice swing. I'll post more often if you can find me a free babysitter for weekday evenings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishdinner
Jul 26, 2019

$5.99 Chips Extra
These are all awesome.
gonna ruin that streak.
https://twitter.com/NelsBenson/status/1182056490120536065

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Still behind, but whatever.

Day 6 Husky

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Oh right inktober

EDIT oh hell let’s make it a twofer. Day 9 Swing

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 10, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Been a long time since I've used brush pens. Decided just to go for it anyway! My cat, the lovable turd that he is, made a great subject:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Edit: dope^^^

Unshockingly I'm still days still behind.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Heheh.

Inktober "Build"

(The one who knocks... down)

Inktober "Circle"

This is amazing.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 10, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Franchescanado posted:

I post most of my stuff in the Traditional thread since I mainly work in acrylic, watercolor and gouache. This is the first year I'm actively trying to do Inktober, and this is the thread for that.

There is a traditional thread??

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

There is a traditional thread??

Traditional Art Thread

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.
I dislike inktober because it makes me feel bad about falling behind, even though it makes me draw more consistently than usual.
Which is something I should feel good about.

Medenmath posted:

This is great and skek'Don is terrifying.

Keetron posted:

This is great, the proof Donald is using meth again

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Lovechild of Donald Duck and the Skeksis. Did you use a different ink for inside the mouth, or is that just where it mixed with the blue sketch?

Lol you all really liked that bird. Thanks!
Just the blue sketch. I liked how it turned out tho, especially since i didn't plan for it.

Sotsa fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 10, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The prompt is pattern which is patroon in Dutch which also means ammunition so here are some crappy perspective cylinders.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Playing with Gouache and ink, like a retrocartooneer!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Day 9: basilisk

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Basilicks

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
If a dog had a snake tail, it would be licking his butthole :colbert:

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

lofi posted:

This is awesome, I love the pattern and the colors.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

If a dog had a snake tail, it would be licking his butthole :colbert:

Dogs already lick their buttholes anyway. I'm sure it'd be fine with licking a snake's butthole too, even though it's part of the creature anyway and therefore it's own butthole.

#buttholetheory

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Double post for content.

Still playing inktober catchup.

Feeling despair setting in a bit or something, kinda phoned in the build one. Wanna redo it better as a scene. Well all of them really. It's kinda one of my weak points right now. Creating an object that doesn't exist with a setting.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Inktober catch-up!

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Clearing the demons out before I can continue Inktober.

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.

IkeTurner posted:

Clearing the demons out before I can continue Inktober.

I like this.
Buncha lanky owls.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The first lindy one I see on this prompt.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I really like this, Incan dog ouroboros!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inktober "frail"

The Monkey's Paw was the oldest horror I can remember. Written in 1902. What's the oldest horror story you can recall?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

sigma 6 posted:

Inktober "Enchanted"

I love this lil royal boi, A+ would kiss.

lofi posted:

Oh hey this worked out fantastic! So pretty.

Omg yes ancient whippet.

I interrupt my regular inktober prompts to bring you Lord Hordak

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

sigma 6 posted:

The Monkey's Paw was the oldest horror I can remember. Written in 1902. What's the oldest horror story you can recall?

Every fairytale ever? Beowulf? I'm not a historian, but people have always loved spooky stories and sticky ends.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

This is my version of Snow:

I had a hard time keeping up this week but I managed, hope to do some really good stuff in the weekend.

Your version of Snow is nicer, but what do I know?!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
If it isn't obvious, I've been binging She-Ra in my feverish, flu-ridden state and man it's just great sickwatching so here's Catra

I 100% recommend not ever doing characters with large amounts of red in their design with watercolours. I dunno what it is about red pigments that make them so hard to nail, but they're usually pretty weak in acrylics and model paints too. Pretty proud of the coverage I got here, I essentially smudged it on as dry as possible.

lofi posted:

Every fairytale ever? Beowulf? I'm not a historian, but people have always loved spooky stories and sticky ends.

Not only is that Snow great (solid B&W shadework), but also when I first peeked under that spoiler I thought it was a giant dong, ballsack and all, yelling at snow and that's headcanon now.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I think it might be the way you've drawn the headbandso it looks a bit like one of those paper hats, but to me, E and G read more like waitresses than detectives, and F like a future nurse. It would be nice to see something future-technologish or apocalypse-scroungetogetherly on the character. Layzor armband? Spiky shoulder pad? Knee-torn leggings? (I don't know how much realism you're going for, but a short skirt on its own would not be my first choice if I was a detective) A wide-brim hat with technological bullshit or something like that? Boots on F would be good futureboots. The coat is definitely not too much, it gives a detective vibe to the character.

Haven't gotten back to this yet, but before I forget to respond entirely:

Yeah, E looks like a lawyer to me and F like a cleaning lady or something. I should definitely add colouring and more flair for any future sketches I do, it's too hard to really make out the themes from just the shapes. I'm not sure why I'm so hung up on the skirt either, I'll try to do some sketches without as well. As for the realism-- I don't want to go into lots of gadgetry or stuff like that, I'd like it to remain more tame and subtle. Not being able to add lots of details to accentuate things has also been a thorn in my side. Maybe I should do away with that constraint as well and instead worry about boiling it down again later.

Hopefully I can do some designs tomorrow. Been too occupied with other crap lately.

Anyway, for now here's a quick late-night sketch:

Also, good job to everyone doing Inktober. Some really superb stuff ITT lately!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Day 10: intellect devourer

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

Oh come on. I meant the earliest / oldest horror story you ever heard of. Grimm fairy tales don't count. Beowulf is an epic more than a horror IMO. Granted - a lot of fairy tales could count as horror.

snow

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 12, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

How's about a SCARY DRAGON?

Ink and Ecoline and watercolour and regret.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

How's about a SCARY DRAGON?

Ink and Ecoline and watercolour and regret.

Is that black background a flat ink or digital?

Here is my dragon:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

“Frail” for Inktober.

Switched it up from Yasutomo Sumi Ink to Higgins Black Magic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Swing

Inspired by scary swing in The Evil Dead

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to copy the 1950’s art style of the Parker comic book series (based on Richard Stark’s books and what the Mel Gibson movie Payback was based on).

Example of the style.

It’s surprisingly tough to make something look good with only 3 colors.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 12, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

A great bit of advice I heard is to use your third colour to lead the eye rather than to get more accurate rendering - notice how it's used on the detective's face in your example. So using it in the background is a mistake, as it dilutes the effect.

Keetron posted:

Is that black background a flat ink or digital?

Ink, with some fairly aggressive Levels adjustment post-scanning - I wish I could get something that flat any other way! Acrylic ink is the closest I've gotten, but that has quite a gloss finish.

lofi fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

lofi posted:

This is lovely!

Keetron posted:

The first lindy one I see on this prompt.

It's hardly an amazing drawing but I was happy with the idea I came up with at least :v:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I 100% recommend not ever doing characters with large amounts of red in their design with watercolours. I dunno what it is about red pigments that make them so hard to nail, but they're usually pretty weak in acrylics and model paints too. Pretty proud of the coverage I got here, I essentially smudged it on as dry as possible.

The color looks great to me!

Inktober!