Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Dishonored really isn't Thief-but-better at all.

It pretty much is Thief mashed up with system shock mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
If you choose to play stealthy it's definitely a lot like Thief, but playing as an all-out genocidal combat monster is way too fleshed out, encouraged, and satisfying. OTOH they're both immersive sims set in a steampunk-ish world, so that definitely makes them similar in a very unique way.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Watching people play Dishonored at a super high level on Youtube is an excellent way to realize how bad you are at vidya games. The difference between what I do and what they do is pretty absurd and that's without getting into Speedrun style exploit usage.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Cynic Jester posted:

Watching people play Dishonored at a super high level on Youtube is an excellent way to realize how bad you are at vidya games. The difference between what I do and what they do is pretty absurd and that's without getting into Speedrun style exploit usage.

Are you sure they're not just specced differently from you and playing differently? Dishonored really has a huge dichotomy between stealth and action and if you play with the intent of being a murderer, it does a great job making you feel like a bad rear end

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I've been skipping a lot of DLCs lately so for a second I thought I still had Death of the Outsider to play but I was thinking of the MD DLCs :( I'm sure they're good but my favorite part of MD was the persistent hub and character progression so I'm not too interested

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alchenar posted:

It pretty much is Thief mashed up with system shock mechanics.

No, not even remotely?

Even ignoring for a second the fact that everything nonlethal in the game is an afterthought, Dishonored is about parkouring and super jumping everywhere and sprinting at 150mph while totally silent to stealth kill enemies, then teleporting away. Thief is about slowly and methodically inching your way around patrolling guards and distracting them with distant noise so you can safely leave shadows for a few seconds because you're slow, not particularly mobile, and extremely vulnerable.

They're completely different fantasies of stealth.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, not even remotely?

Even ignoring for a second the fact that everything nonlethal in the game is an afterthought, Dishonored is about parkouring and super jumping everywhere and sprinting at 150mph while totally silent to stealth kill enemies, then teleporting away. Thief is about slowly and methodically inching your way around patrolling guards and distracting them with distant noise so you can safely leave shadows for a few seconds because you're slow, not particularly mobile, and extremely vulnerable.

They're completely different fantasies of stealth.

Dishonored can be played methodically and slowly and a lot of people do play it that way

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

feelix posted:

Dishonored can be played methodically and slowly and a lot of people do play it that way

I've ghosted then multiple times. Even played slowly and methodically, Dishonored doesn't play like Thief, and it's also absolutely not designed to be played that way.

They share some aesthetic similarities and a genre but their approach to stealth is completely different. Thief is about making you vulnerable and forcing you to sneak around and outwit more powerful enemies; Dishonored is about giving you a wide arsenal of powerful options so you always have the upper hand and can freely circumvent or engage enemies.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 12, 2019

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Arkane take on Terra Nova SFC when?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dishonored is absolutely a love letter to Thief. It’s got it’s own thing going on and it’s differences, but it’s also got some of the best stealth gameplay out there. It’s slow and methodical (at least it can be) and you can creep around levels absorbing all kinds of atmosphere. The game’s narrative even encourages you to play this way. And Dishonored is definitely more Thief than the Thief remake ever was.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

feelix posted:

I've been skipping a lot of DLCs lately so for a second I thought I still had Death of the Outsider to play but I was thinking of the MD DLCs :( I'm sure they're good but my favorite part of MD was the persistent hub and character progression so I'm not too interested

FWIW I've just started System Rift where you break into the Palisade bank and it includes a small new section of Prague with a couple side missions and optional poo poo to explore that's quite satisfying, if that's your jam

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

System Rift is a must play.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
RE: Dishonored, I literally never play these kind of games as anything other than stealthy guard-in-vent stuffing sims, and I never felt like I was getting the short end of the stick. I appreciate how it provided for all kinds of stealth gameplay, from methodical and murderous to speedy and invisible. My second time through, going for all the stealth achievements I did in one sitting of about 5 hours because I knew the game inside out from my first run.

I wonder sometimes if I'm missing out on a different kind of fun by never going full Rambo but I really enjoy my time with them so that's the main thing

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Dishonored really isn't Thief-but-better at all.

hey I wanted orange

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wonder sometimes if I'm missing out on a different kind of fun by never going full Rambo but I really enjoy my time with them so that's the main thing

You do, and I think googling "StealthGamingBR Dishonored" will show you what exactly are you missing.

I do not agree that everything non-lethal is an afterthought and the poster I'm quoting is proof. You can get a Thief-like experience if you go non-lethal and don't overdo magic. Of course it's so much more and Dishonored is a rare game that is kitchensink everything (both lore and gameplay-wise) and still works.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ilitarist posted:

You do, and I think googling "StealthGamingBR Dishonored" will show you what exactly are you missing.

I do not agree that everything non-lethal is an afterthought and the poster I'm quoting is proof. You can get a Thief-like experience if you go non-lethal and don't overdo magic. Of course it's so much more and Dishonored is a rare game that is kitchensink everything (both lore and gameplay-wise) and still works.

Videos of alternative playstyles that I can’t commit to is like one of three acceptable applications of YouTube.

Murderous Dishonored and Evil Alpha Protocol are excellent to watch even if I couldn’t stomach playing that way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can go magic-free in Dishonored 2

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

Videos of alternative playstyles that I can’t commit to is like one or three acceptable applications of YouTube.

Murderous Dishonored and Evil Alpha Protocol are excellent to watch even if I couldn’t stomach playing that way.

If you never played Alpha Protocol as Captain Shotgun rear end in a top hat you’re missing out.

I don’t know why but everyone’s evil playthroughs seem to specialize in shotguns even though AR’s and SMGs are probably the better “kill lots of folks” options. Maybe because the shotguns can set people on fire.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Little known fact, but since SS2 uses the Thief engine, you can sorta sneak around hybrids. The stealth engine works the same as Thief 2. They also have the exact same body structure then a guard, except with a lead pipe instead of a longsword.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

feelix posted:

Are you sure they're not just specced differently from you and playing differently? Dishonored really has a huge dichotomy between stealth and action and if you play with the intent of being a murderer, it does a great job making you feel like a bad rear end

Naw, the way they chain multiple abilities together while staying on the move and undetected is way beyond the effort I'm willing, or maybe able, to put in. Sure, I can also manage to backstab one of those Walker things, but I require time to set it up. StealthGamerBR takes them down as part of his movement from point A to point B without slowing down.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Dishonoured series is way easier to get into than Thief. The story and mission design is so much better, and there's far more replayability. What's more is I'd say that none of the missions across the entire series stand out as stinkers. I just replayed The Knife of Dunwall, and The Brigmore Witches, and then restarted Dishonoured itself. They hold up great.

Hank Morgan posted:

I'd buy it. TN had a cool concept, but the execution is a mess. It's supposed to be tactical but the gameplay is really twitchy. Things happen so fast that you rarely have time to issue orders or use any of the specialized tools you're given. Play it like an arcade game and you might pass the mission just fine. I have a mission or two left but I haven't touched it in so long that I need a refresher.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

some day there will be a worthy successor to metal gear solid

i have faith

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Casimir Radon posted:

The Dishonoured series is way easier to get into than Thief. The story and mission design is so much better, and there's far more replayability. What's more is I'd say that none of the missions across the entire series stand out as stinkers. I just replayed The Knife of Dunwall, and The Brigmore Witches, and then restarted Dishonoured itself. They hold up great.

I'd say that after Dishonored 2 and DOTO some of those missions look... simplistic. Perhaps it's just a question of mastery. I remember that playing them back on release felt overwhelming but recently replaying it for 4th felt a little disappointing. So I can just walk to the lord-protector and kill him, huh?.. Later games have much more complex sandboxes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I don't really consider Thief to be an immersive sim so much as a stealth game with immersive sim elements. It's like calling Hitman an immersive sim, just because a stealth game has elements and a variety of tools to accomplish a goal and the ability to choose more difficult or complicated checklists of objectives doesn't mean it all comes together to form the type of game that would fall under that umbrella.

But I do see how people would associate of Dishonored so much with Thief even if they play very differently just because at the end of the day they're both games about an anachronistic fantasy setting that has both magic and advanced technology, take place during a war between fascist analogue for Christianity and an anarchistic occult outsider religion that threatens it and the aristocrats who run it, has a protagonist with a trademark melee weapon and mechanical face prosthesis who starts out as a gifted member of his order and is eventually chosen and blessed with great power on top of his variety of gadgets which he needs because he is also branded an enemy of the powers that be and must turn to illicit work to survive and further his goals, and regularly fights and evades a large number of non-human enemies including oversized pest animals, the living dead, and magical automatons.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

When you put it that way...

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the dishonoured games are fun to play stealthy but they were originally designed around action and improvising. theyre the most fun when you force yourself to never quicksave

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Obviously it would be doing Arkane a massive disservice to all the work the did to just call Dishonoured 'thief but with violence/action as an option' but it should also be obvious that when they got out the whiteboard on day one that was the first sentence that was written on it.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Obviously it would be doing Arkane a massive disservice to all the work the did to just call Dishonoured 'thief but with violence/action as an option' but it should also be obvious that when they got out the whiteboard on day one that was the first sentence that was written on it.
I just tried googling some developer interviews and its sort of ambiguous but i dont think that's the case

https://www.nbcnews.com/technology/10-tips-playing-dishonored-without-shedding-drop-blood-1c6327490

quote:

Colantonio said that, early on in development, the fact that players could get through "Dishonored" without killing anyone was "almost like an Easter Egg." It was possible, but it wasn't a driving priority. But as Colantonio and Smith told people about this possibility, they noticed something: People got really excited about it.

"We realized that it was something that people really wanted," Colantonio says. "And so then we made it a mandate to make sure that we approached the entire game with non-lethal options."

In fact, says Smith, "We probably put a disproportionate amount of work into allowing you the option of not just killing people."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well yeah, the core of the game is being an Assassin, not a Thief. But when looking at video game designs I see that as an irrelevant distinction - you aren't really killing anyone anymore than you are stealing anything - the puzzle at the core of the game of infiltrating a building patrolled by medieval guards is basically identical.

It's not like nonviolence has actually been the core of Thief - it's been an option in every game in the series.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dishonored makes me feel powerful, Thief makes me feel clever.

You can absolutely feel clever playing Dishonored, but the game is way more forgiving than the Thief games.

Honestly, I'd call the last two Hitman titles immersive sims, they put a lot of work into making the places feel natural.

Hank Morgan posted:

This, I love that game so much and I've never seen anything really get close to what it was trying to do.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Doc Hawkins posted:

some day there will be a worthy successor to metal gear solid

i have faith

Metal gear solid is overrated trash compared to 451 games

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I'm sure Thief influenced elements of Dishonored just like Half-Life is technically an influence on any FPS with a story. That's not to say it's the lone inspiration, you could argue there's elements of Dark Messiah in Dishonored as well.

The Stealth-or-Fight FPS genre has been around for quite some time and they all have similar mechanics because that's what works for gaming.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Farm Frenzy posted:

the dishonoured games are fun to play stealthy but they were originally designed around action and improvising. theyre the most fun when you force yourself to never quicksave

This is why I got so annoyed people were bitching about the difficulty and pacing when they were trying to do a perfect ghost run on their first play through. Yeah, a game isn’t going to be a lot of fun when you ignore 90 percent of it, what a surprise!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

feelix posted:

Metal gear solid is overrated trash compared to 451 games

Imagine being a manchild who cannot enjoy more than one thing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is why I got so annoyed people were bitching about the difficulty and pacing when they were trying to do a perfect ghost run on their first play through. Yeah, a game isn’t going to be a lot of fun when you ignore 90 percent of it, what a surprise!
I blame Dishonered's half-baked morality system for that. Yeah, a non-lethal run is basically a lovely challenge-mode where you're forcing yourself not to use and have fun with all the various tools the game offers you.
But at the same time if you do use said tools and kill people, you have to put up with the game wagging its finger at you and scolding you for being an evil poo poo, which also isn't fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Raygereio posted:

I blame Dishonered's half-baked morality system for that. Yeah, a non-lethal run is basically a lovely challenge-mode where you're forcing yourself not to use and have fun with all the various tools the game offers you.
But at the same time if you do use said tools and kill people, you have to put up with the game wagging its finger at you and scolding you for being an evil poo poo, which also isn't fun.

The chaos system is super lenient, though. You have to kill something like 25 percent of all NPCs to get to high chaos, though I can see how fear of a bad ending might get to people. Unless you’re spree killing every civilian you see you can definitely go loud on some guards when you get caught and stay low chaos.
2 did a better job of showing you how you were doing chaos-wise for sure though.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

El_Elegante posted:

Imagine being a manchild who cannot enjoy more than one thing.

I enjoy the 4 hour game demos known as metal gear solid 1,2, and 4, but get very confused why people compare them to real games that have more than 4 hours of gameplay

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Note that getting anything above low chaos requires you to kill more than 20% of the NPCs in a level.

It's still a dumb and bad morality system but it's at least set up so that casually murdering someone when discovered won't give you the high chaos ending.

(The high chaos ending is a way more thematically fitting ending than the low or mid chaos ones anyway.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It would have been much better if it had been hidden tbh, then the world would have just reflected your actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's something Arkane did again with Prey though - if you use the cool alien powers they dangle in front of you then you get the bad ending. I do get that this is inconsistent with the view of games I used earlier - the cutscene I get after I finish playing shouldn't stop me playing in the way that gives me the most fun, but knowing the game is wagging its finger at you for wanting to do something cool is something I think a lot of people view as an unforced error.

All they needed to do is just have the high violence ending be legitimate and different, rather than 'everything now sucks'. 'Kill all the traitors' results in a stern but stable restoration of the monarchy etc etc.