Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

That's a lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Not all heroes wear capes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I hardly ever drive at night anymore, but mostly I see trucks with either LED aftermarket lights or brights on constantly because they're assholes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

LifeSunDeath posted:

I hardly ever drive at night anymore, but mostly I see trucks with either LED aftermarket lights or brights on constantly because they're assholes.

You're supposed to quickly flip your brights on and off until they stop

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

MizPiz posted:

But my elderly aunt shared an artifact-filled photo of a piece of paper that said that this was a trigger for a gang ritual.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

SpacePig posted:

But my elderly aunt shared an artifact-filled photo of a piece of paper that said that this was a trigger for a gang ritual.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

MizPiz posted:

They probably ARE the low beams, they come from the factory ready to blind everyone else. They're also unreliable and hideously expensive to replace, because making things worse with technology is the exact same thing as innovation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I drive a Focus and I frequently have people flash their brights at me when approaching in the opposite lane. I have my low beams on, but apparently they look like brights.

If I have the presence of mind and am fast enough I flash them back, like "Hey yo this is as low as they go"

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
CAN'T STOP
WON'T STOP

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

I drive a Focus and I frequently have people flash their brights at me when approaching in the opposite lane. I have my low beams on, but apparently they look like brights.

If I have the presence of mind and am fast enough I flash them back, like "Hey yo this is as low as they go"

(Headlights can be adjusted, you probably need to adjust yours)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Queen Combat posted:

(Headlights can be adjusted, you probably need to adjust yours)

I dunno, modern LED strip-style ones?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Data Graham posted:

High beams have their name because they aim at a higher angle to illuminate further in front of you, not because they're high power/brighter (although the secondary high beam bulbs usually are.). You can probably adjust the angle out of the eyeline of oncoming traffic very easily. Please don't flash back to further blind people who are trying to alert you of this because that's the world's dumbest possible fleeting conversation.
https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/exterior/lights/how-to-adjust-headlights.html

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

High beams have their name because they aim at a higher angle to illuminate further in front of you, not because they're high power/brighter (although the secondary high beam bulbs usually are.). You can probably adjust the angle out of the eyeline of oncoming traffic very easily. Please don't flash back to further blind people who are trying to alert you of this because that's the world's dumbest possible fleeting conversation.
https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/exterior/lights/how-to-adjust-headlights.html

All right, for a little context I guess (this is a Wendy's, right)...

I really don't think it's an adjustment issue. These are the bi-Xe headlights on the Focus RS, which are different from the regular Focus ones, and have all this adaptive turn-following gimbel functionality that is really not meant to be user-serviceable. https://mk3focusrs.club/about-the-car/features/bi-xenon-lighting/ I've adjusted headlights myself on a number of cars over the years, and this one I don't think I'd want to go near.

Also it's not just one car, it's two separate Focus RS'es, a 2016 and a 2017, that I noticed this same oppposing-driver behavior in over the course of 2-3 years right after they were brand-new. I know high beams are an angle thing in any case; when this kept happening and I kept getting flashed, I did some experimentation where I mapped out the projected light pool on both low and high beams against a flat wall, and also drove a different car toward it at an opposing angle to see what other drivers were actually seeing. The low beams didn't seem to be aiming in the other driver's face at all from what I could tell. Nice sharp cutoff.

So what I'm trying to say with my dumb anecdote is that I think there's just something about the RS headlight design, like the shape or maybe just the brightness, that makes people think they're doing high beams when they're actually not.

Point taken though, I won’t flash back anymore

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Oct 12, 2019

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I cycle a lot and recently moved to a city where people actually ride with lights and reflective vests and poo poo and get angry at you if you don’t. The problem is that some people use EXTRAORDINARILY BRIGHT LIGHTS and I literally can’t judge their distance or see anything around them whatsoever when they approach as a result. It’s just the stupidest thing. The fact that there are drivers out there doing the same thing is just mindboggling

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Oct 12, 2019

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

I cycle a lot and recently moved to a city where people actually ride with lights and reflective vests and poo poo and get angry at you if you don’t. The problem is that some people use EXTRAORDINARILY BRIGHT LIGHTS and I literally can’t judge their distance or see anything around them whatsoever when they approach as a result. It’s just the stupidest thing. The fact that there are drivers out there doing the same thing is just mindboggling

I ride at night on busy multi use paths and most people seem to settle on having the beam pointed at the ground about 5m in front of them which is fine. There's always someone that has it pointing straight ahead, I can't imagine they keep it that way for long though cos oncoming cyclists will let you know.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

I cycle a lot and recently moved to a city where people actually ride with lights and reflective vests and poo poo and get angry at you if you don’t.
I could rant an excessive amount about how most bike lights are overpriced pieces of poo poo... But this is the meme thread:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

redgubbinz posted:

They probably ARE the low beams, they come from the factory ready to blind everyone else. They're also unreliable and hideously expensive to replace, because making things worse with technology is the exact same thing as innovation.

The problem in my area aren't the factory LEDs, it's the brodozers with cheapo Ebay LEDs. Even with the rubber band tires on -100et wheels, they're tall enough with a lift that it puts the light directly in your eyes. They are absolutely horrible at night on a motorcycle even with a very clean helmet lens.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Data Graham posted:

All right, for a little context I guess (this is a Wendy's, right)...

I really don't think it's an adjustment issue. These are the bi-Xe headlights on the Focus RS, which are different from the regular Focus ones, and have all this adaptive turn-following gimbel functionality that is really not meant to be user-serviceable. https://mk3focusrs.club/about-the-car/features/bi-xenon-lighting/ I've adjusted headlights myself on a number of cars over the years, and this one I don't think I'd want to go near.

Also it's not just one car, it's two separate Focus RS'es, a 2016 and a 2017, that I noticed this same oppposing-driver behavior in over the course of 2-3 years right after they were brand-new. I know high beams are an angle thing in any case; when this kept happening and I kept getting flashed, I did some experimentation where I mapped out the projected light pool on both low and high beams against a flat wall, and also drove a different car toward it at an opposing angle to see what other drivers were actually seeing. The low beams didn't seem to be aiming in the other driver's face at all from what I could tell. Nice sharp cutoff.

So what I'm trying to say with my dumb anecdote is that I think there's just something about the RS headlight design, like the shape or maybe just the brightness, that makes people think they're doing high beams when they're actually not.

Point taken though, I won’t flash back anymore
:hmmyes: Thanks for the context! Sounds like a pain in the rear end. Good man.

Pissed Ape Sexist has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Oct 12, 2019

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

bike tory posted:

I've often wondered when it sets in. I'm a dad now, at what point do I start doing the loud sneezes? Is it a slow change or do I just wake up one day an led that's how they come out?

Also when does my regular breathing become that loud slightly whistling kind that can be heard from the other side of a quiet room? Is that around the same time I start clearing my throat and snorting at like 90db every few minutes?

I think it's supposed to start automatically when you become a dad, you might need to take a paternity test my friend.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Claeaus posted:

I think it's supposed to start automatically when you become a dad, you might need to take a paternity test my friend.

poo poo, I started loud sneezing like 10 years ago.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

LOL they be just cropping Twitter screenshots.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think it's more of an age than a gender thing. Some of the loudest sneezers I know are boomer women. They will drop a 200 dB sneeze, doesn't matter where it is, a violin concert or a funeral, they just don't give a gently caress anymore. Meanwhile I'm sitting there millennially trying to sneeze with my mouth closed and as inconspicuously as possible, like a li'l bitch

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Phlegmish posted:

I think it's more of an age than a gender thing. Some of the loudest sneezers I know are boomer women. They will drop a 200 dB sneeze, doesn't matter where it is, a violin concert or a funeral, they just don't give a gently caress anymore. Meanwhile I'm sitting there millennially trying to sneeze with my mouth closed and as inconspicuously as possible, like a li'l bitch

Assert yourself against the boomers.

Sneeze incredibly loudly.

In their faces.

Then rob them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That's pretty much what I'd do too

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Phlegmish posted:

I've always sneezed really hard. I sneeze loud, because I try to project the pressure through my mouth, instead of rupturing my sinuses.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Kramdar posted:

LOL they be just cropping Twitter screenshots.

Stealing a joke off twitter that was stolen from a 10yo Ashens video.

It got layers man.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pocohantas, Snow White, and Winnie the Pooh are inspired.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mind the walrus posted:

Pocohantas, Snow White, and Winnie the Pooh are inspired.

Here's goofy is creepy af

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Buzzfeed listicles of stolen fanart aren't really a meme to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
drat, wish I had a picture of a funny yellow dog to look at before bed. Oh well...