Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ryan from AVGN is a good pleasant dude to watch and he should be in more videos again

The side scrolling parts from Actraiser are probably the best action platforming on the SNES

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Lodin posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (again) easily has the best space game soundtrack since it's all shitkicker steel guitar. It also has several radio stations that all play music you'd get if you were cruising down some highway in the South. Personally I prefer the Latino station.

Well this is just wrong since Homeworld & and Homeworld Cataclysm exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WbvIEL5Iyk&t=1499s

also (maybe?) unpopular video game opinion: While homeworld is one of the best games ever made, Cataclysm is even better. It is also one of the better horror games.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Flimf posted:

Well this is just wrong since Homeworld & and Homeworld Cataclysm exist

Homeworld has exactly the kind of soundtrack that that guy was saying he hates

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Ryan from AVGN is a good pleasant dude to watch and he should be in more videos again

My unpopular opinion is that all the Screenwave guys are fine (in front of the camera at least) and the people who complain about them ruining the channel are just nostalgic for the old Cinemassacre which is never coming back no matter what.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Homeworld and Homeworld Cataclysm are amazing games that place huge emotional arcs on single line delivery and it works. The end of Cataclysm rules.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Actraiser 2 is worse than Actraiser 1

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ogre Battle is way better than Tactics Ogre

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Barudak posted:

Homeworld and Homeworld Cataclysm are amazing games that place huge emotional arcs on single line delivery and it works. The end of Cataclysm rules.

That's unpopular?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Ogre Battle is way better than Tactics Ogre

Agreed though the whole series is good imo

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I hate those soundtracks, generic space music is the worst. Do they think chords are somehow more spacey?

Personally I associate reggae with space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05QnQ7Ak7Ao&t=7s

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

is pepsi ok posted:

My unpopular opinion is that all the Screenwave guys are fine (in front of the camera at least) and the people who complain about them ruining the channel are just nostalgic for the old Cinemassacre which is never coming back no matter what.

I'm an old Cinemassacre fan who understands the old days aren't coming back. It's best to just fire up an AVGN episode from like 2007 that one hasn't seen in a while to get the original experience. I just liked it when it was Rolfe in his basement making these videos with his own time, money and energy. But, Screenwave is here and at least AVGN has its moments still.

Edit: "Aren't coming back"...drat of all the places to have a typo

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 13, 2019

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm an old Cinemassacre fan who understands the old days are coming back. It's best to just fire up an AVGN episode from like 2007 that one hasn't seen in a while to get the original experience. I just liked it when it was Rolfe in his basement making these videos with his own time, money and energy. But, Screenwave is here and at least AVGN has its moments still.

Mike Mattei isn't human though, he's a gremlin, or at least some kind of minor troll or ogre halfbreed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

signalnoise posted:

Actraiser 2 is worse than Actraiser 1

in what way is this one unpopular

like i respect actraiser 2's monster design game. that's strong as h*ck, no game in history since has ever come close to topping Pride. but the rest of it, the blind jumps, the shifty rear end gliding, the bosses with instant-kill frames to keep you from spamming attack on them, locking you out of the ending just as you reach the final area unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty... it barely qualifies as playable at that point

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 13, 2019

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!

TheScott2K posted:

Commander Keen was never good. You just liked it because it was on your parents' computer. Bethesda can do what they want with it.

His titles were the 2D equivalent of a collect-a-thon with weird nonsensical level design. They never designed the games around the one feature that's somewhat uncommon (his pogostick). The music is typical pc speaker blurby blorby garbage too.

That being said, I loved it as a kid.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Playing Dead Space again. The lighting, shadows and sound design are spectacular. I had to run the game in Windows XP SP3 mode on my Windows 10 machine.

Grrr, I just got to the part where I have to shoot the meteorites before they crash into the ship. This part is so out of place. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 15, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

like i respect actraiser 2's monster design game. that's strong as h*ck, no game in history since has ever come close to topping Pride. but the rest of it, the blind jumps, the shifty rear end gliding, the bosses with instant-kill frames to keep you from spamming attack on them, locking you out of the ending just as you reach the final area unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty... it barely qualifies as playable at that point

Yeah I'm a big Quintet guy but Actraiser 2 is just unpleasant to play. I like the monster designs too and the themes but the sound effects are just straight up recycled and don't match the graphics design and that world map begs for a town building game. I loved town building in Actraiser, just so relaxing and fun.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Mike Mattei isn't human though, he's a gremlin, or at least some kind of minor troll or ogre halfbreed

An annoying, screechy goblin for sure. I can't stand him solo, with James it's ok.
I love what's been happening with rental reviews, it's one of the best monster madness so far. A good time to be a retro fan.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They didn't talk about Gremlins enough, their discussion was really superficial which was disappointing since there's really quite a lot to say about Gremlins

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

It's the impression I got but good to know people are wrong to disagree with me, AS ALWAYS

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

QuarkJets posted:

The Nintendo DS was the best because it was super easy to pirate and also super easy to emulate any gbc and gba games that you wanted, all off of a single SD card

Very far back, but could you tell me how to do this?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ocean Book posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iCkfikOZd4&t=400s

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 14, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ocean Book posted:

There's no modification needed on the system, you just get a compatible flash card, load your legally obtained DS rom backups and you're good to go.

For GB/GBC: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gameyob-a-gameboy-emulator-for-ds.343407/

I think he was asking about the OG DS, not the 3/2DS

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Wow that's incredibly cool, thank you :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The camera angle in Shadow of the Colossus makes the game unplayable.

Why the gently caress is it pointed so low? Years after giving up on the original I gave it another shot on ps now. Nope, they ruined that game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ocean Book posted:

Wow that's incredibly cool, thank you :)

It really is!

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah, one problem is that JRPG is a very bad label because a literal reading of it would be "any RPG from Japan," but I don't think that's a useful genre category to define. I wouldn't consider Dark Souls a JRPG, even though it's an RPG that comes from Japan. I would consider Anachronox a JRPG, even though it was made in the US, because it has all the mechanical genre elements that the archetypal JRPGs have.

Or, like, Secret of Evermore. Secret of Mana is a JRPG and Secret of Evermore is nearly identical in terms of gameplay and structure, but Secret of Evermore was developed in the US. I'd say that's still a JRPG.

It's tough to change the name of a genre, I guess. I'd love it if JRPG, meaning Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or whatever type RPGs, had a different name that didn't come with an assumed country of origin, but how would you ever drive adoption of a new term after all this time, y'know?

Jesus. gently caress all of you. Jrpg. Japan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

stick it to that post from 500 pages ago.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm gonna say what i said 500 pages ago

JRPG isn't a genre, its a lifestyle and its a way of life, its a feeling in your heart

you know when you're JRPGing and you know when you're not

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Japanese Ruth Pader Ginsburg

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wait I thought it meant Jerkoff Role Playing Game where it’s an rpg you can play while you have a wank

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

So which one is Dragon's Dogma

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ruffian Price posted:

So which one is Dragon's Dogma

if you have an rpg, and you could make it into an anime, then it is a jrpg. netflix is making a dragon's dogma anime - hence it is a jrpg.

anime is the underlying secret of why secret of evermore, anachronox, and final fantasy 13 are all considered in the same genre despite having zero shared mechanics.

when i was growing up, my dad thought the final fantasy games were the stupidest poo poo ever and would mime dudes swinging swords that hit nowhere while saying "health points health points"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

when i was growing up, my dad thought the final fantasy games were the stupidest poo poo ever and would mime dudes swinging swords that hit nowhere while saying "health points health points"
haha wat a moron you dont say health points when you attack

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
My dad saw me watching Pokemon once and he said "what's this nerd crap? Look, their mouths aren't even synced with the words. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Hehe." So I turned it off

I owe that man my life

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

my dad would ad lib the text on screen and suggest it was time to watch the news

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My dad got shot to death by the Salafi jihadists and I lost my mother and sister to the American drones. I also didn't have a house anymore since the islamic state leveled the entire block with a suicide bombing. With no house and no family I basically had to join the free syrian army and fight for my continued survival, which made watching Pokemon extremely difficult

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My grandma was over while I was watching Zoids once and said someone should tell the trucker girl that she really can't sing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zzulu posted:

My dad got shot to death by the Salafi jihadists and I lost my mother and sister to the American drones. I also didn't have a house anymore since the islamic state leveled the entire block with a suicide bombing. With no house and no family I basically had to join the free syrian army and fight for my continued survival, which made watching Pokemon extremely difficult

what does watching pokemon, an anime, have anything to do with playing video games

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I loved JRPG's until they became explicitly anime, rather than just cute

Basically I started disliking them when they became Sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

it is annoying how sexy anime is, good point