Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Lots of little one-off visual gags around Todd, somehow he's the comic relief character in all this. Like in that scene you see him cruising down the road with the window open, jamming to some tunes, and you think 'Oh that's nice, at least Jesse gets to have this one kind of nice moment out of his cage'. But then the camera finally pans over to the empty passenger seat and lol no Todd made him lay down in the back next to a corpse the whole way.

Yeah I thought about that too lol.. Also everyone else who's glad that it didn't end up being Andrea that he was burying, please raise your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I expected this to unnecessary when I first heard about it but I really really enjoyed it. I love the final season of Breaking Bad but I always felt like the Jesse being a slave subplot was a tiny bit underdeveloped. This totally addresses that for me and gives the character more deserving closure.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Apparently Vince stated that you could enjoy this without having seen Breaking Bad? No way would anyone care about what's happening in it otherwise.

So I'm testing this theory out right now, but I have seen some BB. I quit at end of season 1 or 2 because I went in thinking, okay cool, a succinct story and this dude gonna die from cancer while losing a bit of his soul to raise money for he family. Then it became clear the show got popular and they were going to escalate and get all crazy go nuts, stretch it out forever like they did with Weeds. Then they did that. I actually liked the seasons of Better Call Saul a hell of a lot more than the main show, even though there was a lot of stuff in it you could tell was for people who seen Breaking Bad.

This movie starts off with a pretty good recap that kind of already makes this movie seem unnecessary.

At one point Jesse blows his lighter out by blowing on it. Weird move but it does work I suppose.

Okay just finished it. This... is definitely not something you could really watch without having seen any of BB. Even with the parts of it I'd seen, this kind of seems missing a lot as just a movie. If anything it seems like a super long epilogue episode or something, there are many moments that seem like emotional payoffs not set up or deserved from just this alone. If this were a standalone movie, Todd is kind of a villain that just doesn't get resolved. It seems clear he dies or is gone but we don't see any of that and I kind of want to even if their relationship isn't super established here at all, just his attitude about life and the woman he killed make you want to see Jesse kill that dude in the desert... but then he doesn't and I guess you're to take it his imprisonment in a new mexico style Devil's Island prison cell broke him?

Super weird "movie" and I think it lives or dies on how much you personally need to see a happy ending spelled out for Jesse.

Oh, one question, what was the relationship or point of showing Karl from Workaholics in the welding hanger scene, I was distracted for that part. I get the connection between the welding company and Jesse being chained up but that character doesn't come back up as far as I could tell.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I liked it, glad it happened (dude's ending before was too abrupt given the centrality of the character), and have been kind of wondering about something like this since the finale because of this interview: https://ew.com/article/2013/09/30/breaking-bad-finale-vince-gilligan/

(Vince doesn't seem like the type to let an idea die)

quote:

“We always felt like the viewers desired Jesse to get away. And it’s up to the individual viewer to decide what happens next for Jesse. Some people might think, ‘Well, he probably got two miles down the road before the cops nailed him.’ But I prefer to believe that he got away, and he’s got a long road to recovery ahead, in a sense of being held prisoner in a dungeon for the last six months and being beaten to within an inch of his life and watching Andrea be shot. All these terrible things he’s witnessed are going to scar him as well, but the romantic in me wants to believe that he gets away with it and moves to Alaska and has a peaceful life communing with nature.”

It would have been a cool callback to see him set up with a woodworking shop and communing with nature, but having it end with him driving off has some nice symmetry with how he ended the series, and still leaves some stuff "up to the individual viewer to decide."

That said, this also could have been accomplished in an extended after the credits scene. But, gently caress it, I like liking things.

Ossipago fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 13, 2019

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Oh, one question, what was the relationship or point of showing Karl from Workaholics in the welding hanger scene, I was distracted for that part. I get the connection between the welding company and Jesse being chained up but that character doesn't come back up as far as I could tell.

That was Scott McArthur, who plays Kandy and is just utterly unrecognizable in all of his other scenes

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

e: came off insanely harsh edited out my ranting, sorry all, have a good night!!

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 13, 2019

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

At one point Jesse blows his lighter out by blowing on it. Weird move but it does work I suppose.

That got a :raise: out of me as well. Like, you have to let go of the button anyway or it will just keep leaking fumes while tying up one of your hands. Best explanation I can come up with is the same kind of visual moviemaking thing that makes them keep using flipphones in the late 'aughts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Lots of little one-off visual gags around Todd, somehow he's the comic relief character in all this. Like in that scene you see him cruising down the road with the window open, jamming to some tunes, and you think 'Oh that's nice, at least Jesse gets to have this one kind of nice moment out of his cage'. But then the camera finally pans over to the empty passenger seat and lol no Todd made him lay down in the back next to a corpse the whole way.

Just the look of excitement on Todd's face when he's going through the soup cans and "Ohh, Beans with bacon. You're lucky, its the last one" and then goes to serve it to Jesse who doesn't even take a bite.

It harkens back to when he came back to the cage to give Jesse some leftover Ben and Jerry's. He's such a hapless doofus that if he wasn't a complete sociopath of a murderer you'd expect him to be "that guy", the friend who's chill and helpful but flirts awkwardly with the ladies.

Ossipago posted:

I liked it, glad it happened (dude's ending before was too abrupt given the centrality of the character), and have been kind of wondering about something like this since the finale because of this interview: https://ew.com/article/2013/09/30/breaking-bad-finale-vince-gilligan/

(Vince doesn't seem like the type to let an idea die)

It would have been a cool callback to see him set up with a woodworking shop and communing with nature, but having it end with him driving off has some nice symmetry with how he ended the series, and still leaves some stuff "up to the individual viewer to decide."

That said, this also could have been accomplished in an extended after the credits scene. But, gently caress it, I like liking things.

It's interesting how the 3 main cast members all went out.

Saul: Obviously we see the current time in BCS, but he's living a quiet, dreary life terrified of being found.
Walt: Escaped, lived with a barrel full of cash and had no contact with the outside world and went back because he had literally nothing in life
Jesse: Leaving behind everything to start over, a smile on his face and the hope of a future beyond all the toxic decisions made before

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mameluke posted:

That was Scott McArthur, who plays Kandy and is just utterly unrecognizable in all of his other scenes

Whoa, you aren't kidding. I went back to check and is still took me a minute to unsee Kyle Newacheck (whose name I only remembered because I looked him up and he doesn't have any credits in this movie or BB). So was that old footage from the TV show they included or re-shot for this specifically?

Takes No Damage posted:

That got a :raise: out of me as well. Like, you have to let go of the button anyway or it will just keep leaking fumes while tying up one of your hands. Best explanation I can come up with is the same kind of visual moviemaking thing that makes them keep using flipphones in the late 'aughts.

Even as a little filmmaking thing it's kind of odd but maybe I missed the significance of him switching from a lighter to a flashlight?
Best use case for this trick would be to mess with someone trying to light a cigarette or something, just blow it out before they get a light.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not sure what you're talking about. A few seconds into the scene where they show up as cops, I knew he was Scott MacArthur and didn't see any scenes where it was confusing who he was.

Also, Walt didn't go back because he had nothing else to do. He went back because, being bored, he went into town and saw on the news that there was still blue meth being made. He thought Jesse had partnered with the nazis to make more meth. If he didn't see that, he would have just gone back to his shack.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Khanstant posted:

So I'm testing this theory out right now, but I have seen some BB. I quit at end of season 1 or 2 because I went in thinking, okay cool, a succinct story and this dude gonna die from cancer while losing a bit of his soul to raise money for he family. Then it became clear the show got popular and they were going to escalate and get all crazy go nuts, stretch it out forever like they did with Weeds. Then they did that. I actually liked the seasons of Better Call Saul a hell of a lot more than the main show, even though there was a lot of stuff in it you could tell was for people who seen Breaking Bad.

Yeah. Your whole supposition is wrong. It didn’t start getting popular until season three or four (and only because of Netflix) and that was never the plan.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ummm it was ok. I don't really think I needed to see this story. I still think just knowing Jessie got away was good enough.

My imagination was just he drove off to be a need to speed racer.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Also, Walt didn't go back because he had nothing else to do. He went back because, being bored, he went into town and saw on the news that there was still blue meth being made. He thought Jesse had partnered with the nazis to make more meth. If he didn't see that, he would have just gone back to his shack.

Walt went into town in an attempt to deliver money to his family. He called his son at school and when he denied him, he gave up and called the police on himself. He planned on getting caught right there in the bar.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
not sure if it was a cool touch or unintentional that Forster's character charged Jesse the standard rate, even despite the hardassery. he told Walt he charges a lot more for hot clients, and Jesse was definitely hot.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. A few seconds into the scene where they show up as cops, I knew he was Scott MacArthur and didn't see any scenes where it was confusing who he was.

McArthur's a guy who has brown hair and a beard in most of his recent work and the scene in the hangar, and then he's cleanshaven with his hair so greasy it's almost black for every other scene in the film, not to mention looking noticeably tanner and heavier than usual.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Walrus posted:

not sure if it was a cool touch or unintentional that Forster's character charged Jesse the standard rate, even despite the hardassery. he told Walt he charges a lot more for hot clients, and Jesse was definitely hot.

Saul tells Walt that the cleaner's deluxe package for "high risk targets" is 125k, which is what I believe he charged Jesse in El Camino

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Scott Macarthur is just Jimmy to me since the first role I saw him in was in The Mick.

Me and my brother didn't notice him in the BB movie till he started getting angry and frustrated, then we caught on.

Kinda wierd moment right now since he's currently also in Rightgeous Gemstones, so it feels like I'm seeing him everywhere. I hope this is a sign of him getting lots of roles cause he's great in what I've seen him in.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Scott Macarthur is just Jimmy to me since the first role I saw him in was in The Mick.

Me and my brother didn't notice him in the BB movie till he started getting angry and frustrated, then we caught on.

Kinda wierd moment right now since he's currently also in Rightgeous Gemstones, so it feels like I'm seeing him everywhere. I hope this is a sign of him getting lots of roles cause he's great in what I've seen him in.

I started Gemstones the day before I saw El Camino and it really threw me for a loop when the same actor was in it. He is good

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yes Scott Macarthur should just be in everything. TBH, I didn't realize it was him until the flashback with Jesse

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I was probably almost halfway through Departed before I realized the twist wasn't that the main dude wasn't living some kind of extreme Fight Club style double life thing and they were actually two different men.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Mameluke posted:

McArthur's a guy who has brown hair and a beard in most of his recent work and the scene in the hangar, and then he's cleanshaven with his hair so greasy it's almost black for every other scene in the film, not to mention looking noticeably tanner and heavier than usual.
Because of the visual language of the film I knew they were supposed to be the same person, but it felt more like a different employee of the same company.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

It harkens back to when he came back to the cage to give Jesse some leftover Ben and Jerry's. He's such a hapless doofus that if he wasn't a complete sociopath of a murderer you'd expect him to be "that guy", the friend who's chill and helpful but flirts awkwardly with the ladies.

Well, it took over 5 years, but I finally just now got the joke about a bunch of Nazis bringing home a big tub of Americone Dream :downs:

CaveGrinch posted:

Yeah. Your whole supposition is wrong. It didn’t start getting popular until season three or four (and only because of Netflix) and that was never the plan.

I thought BB steadily grew in popularity, but didn't really blow up until 5B, just before which the previous seasons got dumped on Netflix all at once. So there was the combination of series-ending buzz coupled with everyone being able to binge it and watch the final 8 episodes as they aired.

Khanstant posted:

I was probably almost halfway through Departed before I realized the twist wasn't that the main dude wasn't living some kind of extreme Fight Club style double life thing and they were actually two different men.

... Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon? I know Goon Face Blindness is a thing but :stare:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Takes No Damage posted:

... Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon? I know Goon Face Blindness is a thing but :stare:

Over the years I've heard multiple people say they didn't understand the plot of the Departed because some of the actors look so similar. It's a thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are several generic white guys where you could make a movie where you randomly swap them out to play the main character and no one would ever notice.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

pentyne posted:

He's such a hapless doofus that if he wasn't a complete sociopath of a murderer you'd expect him to be "that guy", the friend who's chill and helpful but flirts awkwardly with the ladies.

Don't be ridiculous, Todd is a ladies man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF0afLD5JbM

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Tod was kinda bigger than he was on breaking bad wasn't he?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Meth Damon became Fat Damon

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Jesse Plemons is heavier these days, yes. More to love.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Takes No Damage posted:

Do goons have this worse or something? I don't get it :psyduck: I mean, I once jokingly mentioned how Joe Lo Truglio, Thomas Lennon, and Jorma Taccone are probably the same guy, because I used to get them confused, but if they were all in the same thing, I'd be able to tell them apart.

Will Ferrell and Chad Smith, however... Those guys are twins.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Takes No Damage posted:

Best explanation I can come up with is the same kind of visual moviemaking thing that makes them keep using flipphones in the late 'aughts.

I agree about the lighter, but the flip phones are because they’re drug dealers and they use burners.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well also because Breaking Bad is in a time period without smart phones... Jimmy did some work at a cell phone store, and the flip phones were the hot item, no Iphones were in sight.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I liked how Todd’s Apartment was full of “interesting” decor but lacked any kind of taste and coherency and looked like complete poo poo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Karmine posted:

I agree about the lighter, but the flip phones are because they’re drug dealers and they use burners.

It's set during 2008, this is also heavily indicated when Jesse is in the car listening to the radio and the news is saying that the American and European stock markets have seen massive drops.

The original iphone was out just before this period so smartphones were in their relative infancy. They weren't ubiquitous for a couple of years yet.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 13, 2019

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
A burner can be any cheap phone without a contract. They use flip phones specifically because it's better visually (they can be slammed shut when someone is angry, or easily torn in half when you want to show someone disposing of the phone).

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Khanstant posted:

Even as a little filmmaking thing it's kind of odd but maybe I missed the significance of him switching from a lighter to a flashlight?
Best use case for this trick would be to mess with someone trying to light a cigarette or something, just blow it out before they get a light.

It's just a character trait, have a little imagination. He probably did it as a kid or had a druggy friend that did it and had some little story about why. I used to blow out lighters back when I smoked too, as if they were matches. It was just a funny little private joke for myself.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Aardark posted:

A burner can be any cheap phone without a contract. They use flip phones specifically because it's better visually (they can be slammed shut when someone is angry, or easily torn in half when you want to show someone disposing of the phone).

You can throw an iPhone in anger or smash it with a hammer if you need to destroy it. My point is that in 2008/9 I don’t think there was any such thing as a burner iPhone, and if there was I’m pretty sure Jesse et al would be smart enough not to use one. Maybe I don’t fully understand the ins and outs of burner phones, but it also makes a lot more sense to me that they would spend 20ish dollars on flippers than, I dunno, 500 on a phone that at the time was an attention-grabbing status symbol.

The flip phones make sense for the story/time AND they’re more visually engaging. It can be both.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

God imagine quitting BB before the Gus plot line.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
And comparing it to Weeds come on

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Karmine posted:

You can throw an iPhone in anger or smash it with a hammer if you need to destroy it. My point is that in 2008/9 I don’t think there was any such thing as a burner iPhone, and if there was I’m pretty sure Jesse et al would be smart enough not to use one. Maybe I don’t fully understand the ins and outs of burner phones, but it also makes a lot more sense to me that they would spend 20ish dollars on flippers than, I dunno, 500 on a phone that at the time was an attention-grabbing status symbol.

The flip phones make sense for the story/time AND they’re more visually engaging. It can be both.
Sure it can be both, no argument. I'm just saying the alternative to flip phones isn't only iPhones, you can also get a Nokia bar phone for the same $20, so the reason they lean towards flip phones is probably visual. Smashing a burner with a hammer would actually make more sense for security, but it'd also end up taking a lot of screen time for something pretty trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Anyway, as for the movie, I liked it. I was hoping for maybe a little more humor and hijinks, but given Jesse's PTSD situation, it's understandable that there wasn't. Fat Todd was pretty funny I guess. I thought his first scene was going to be his only appearance, so that you can't really see him through the bars in Jesse's prison hole.

Really enjoyed the ending credits song, a nice noir vibe.